• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Falls S2 |OT| Mysteries, tall gingers & endless sweaters (series finale 2/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psxphile

I didn't expect Bill to possess Smevin(?), but it makes sense, since he has his (damaged) camouflage and, of course, time travel. Has he still been making cameos, or did those completely stop after "The Time Traveler's Pig"?
I know he appears in the background briefly during the Season 1 finale. He was sans his Mabel-approved hair, though.

Just watched the latest episode earlier. I like where it's all going, but it feels like things from earlier in the season (specifically pre-episode 11) are just being forgotten pushed aside so we can all hurry to the end. It was a pretty meh episode to me. Super looking forward to the next one.

Now what things could those be? The missing Dipper clones? The origin of some the magic items like Gideon's pendant or what exactly is the purpose of the dangling eyepiece that is/was attached to Journal 3?

They're actually going to publish a replica of Journal 3 for fans to buy, apparently it will have (besides show-accurate pages on Ford's findings of Gravity Falls) Dipper's notes about his time in Gravity Falls as well, including his thoughts on the missing Dipper clones (3 and 4, right?).

dity

Now what things could those be? The missing Dipper clones? The origin of some the magic items like Gideon's pendant or what exactly is the purpose of the dangling eyepiece that is/was attached to Journal 3?

They're actually going to publish a replica of Journal 3 for fans to buy, apparently it will have (besides show-accurate pages on Ford's findings of Gravity Falls) Dipper's notes about his time in Gravity Falls as well, including his thoughts on the missing Dipper clones (3 and 4, right?).

Various things like that. Also unexplored friendships, such as Pacifica (which was being made out to be a huge thing until she dropped off the face of the earth after episode 10). Wendy and her friends have mostly disappeared as well. I'm probably forgetting stuff from season 1 that I was wondering the answer to as well.

Speculation:
I swear if they seal up that dimensional hole and all the weird items and conveniently unexplained plot go with it, I'll be like "whaaaat"

Psxphile

Various things like that. Also unexplored friendships, such as Pacifica (which was being made out to be a huge thing until she dropped off the face of the earth after episode 10). Wendy and her friends have mostly disappeared as well. I'm probably forgetting stuff from season 1 that I was wondering the answer to as well.

Oh, you were talking about Season 2. Yeah, I guess... but season two isn't over yet. Plenty of stuff from season 1 that aren't going to be elaborated on much if ever: the lake monster (the real one), the dinosaurs underneath the town, all the various supernatural stuff that seems to exist outside the town (Mermando's race), the boy band clones (they appeared in a season 2 episode so maybe they're working up to a reappearance).

Season 2 stuff includes the shapeshifter (got a shout-out in the new ep, apparently it's alien in origin), the purpose of the bunker, etc. There's still time for some of these to be addressed so I'm not too worried.

Wait, has it actually been confirmed that there's only going to be 2 seasons?

The creator previously said that he wanted three seasons and a movie, but then as season 2 started, he said that making the show was harder than he thought and he'll probably just make two seasons and leave it at that.

PSqueak

Banned
Wait, has it actually been confirmed that there's only going to be 2 seasons?

Well, he did say that if they would involve
Aliens
in the show, it would be basically before the end of the series because "You can't go higher than that". So im guessing the show is ending with season 2.

Tizoc

The creator previously said that he wanted three seasons and a movie, but then as season 2 started, he said that making the show was harder than he thought and he'll probably just make two seasons and leave it at that.

As sad as having their adventures end after only 2 seasons, they are some of the BEST cartoons of the decade, they had a great fun run and revisiting the episodes will always be a treat.

KiN0

Speculation:
I swear if they seal up that dimensional hole and all the weird items and conveniently unexplained plot go with it, I'll be like "whaaaat"

Stan also disappeared into the background after Ford came back into the picture. That was really disappointing since I'd hoped we'd see more of their relationship.

If the show ends with this season, at least it will be remembered as being consistently outstanding from start to finish.

dity

Stan also disappeared into the background after Ford came back into the picture. That was really disappointing since I'd hoped we'd see more of their relationship.
It seems like the entire town has taken a back seat to Ford. Kind of annoying because I don't like him that much.

Tuck

Yeah, he has. I was hoping for more development between him and his brother, rather than between Ford and Dipper (thought hats good too). Seems like stuff like Pacifica is just going to be ignored. Hell, even Mabel has really been pushed to the side, but I guess thats the whole point - Dipper is big on the adventures but Mabel just sort of tagged along by chance. Now that Dipper has Ford, he doesn't need her as much.

I liked the episode. Guess we're close to the end.

KiN0

Yeah, he has. I was hoping for more development between him and his brother, rather than between Ford and Dipper (thought hats good too). Seems like stuff like Pacifica is just going to be ignored. Hell, even Mabel has really been pushed to the side, but I guess thats the whole point - Dipper is big on the adventures but Mabel just sort of tagged along by chance. Now that Dipper has Ford, he doesn't need her as much.

I liked the episode. Guess we're close to the end.

If there are only a few episodes left, then I really do feel like this season has been rushed. There was still a lot of ground left to cover as far as the townsfolk and their involvement with the mysteries are concerned.

Shang

I thought the words being thrown around were two seasons and a movie? Slightly disappointed if this is the end, it felt like it was just hitting its stride. It's probably for the best, though.

#6seasonsandamovie

Between the pacing issues with the these past few episodes and Hirsch changing his mind from 3 seasons and a movie to just 2 seasons, I kind of have to assume they are condensing 2 seasons worth of story into just one and sacrificing the pacing and supporting character-focused stuff in the process. The original plan was probably to have Not What He Seems/A Tale of Two Stans be the Season 2 finale, with Ford & Dipper's story arc played out over the course of Season 3 (where it would have been given more room to breath and develop more naturally along with allowing them to focus on other plot threads) instead of being truncated to fit into about 3 or 4 episodes aired in rapid succession to get us to where we are now (which, assuming all of the remaining 3 episodes are dealing with the hell that Bill has unleashed, probably means this is what the movie was going to be).

Blues1990

Is it just me, or are things progressing too quickly? I thought the show was going to go for another season? Has something happened to condense a whole season into a few episodes?

Psxphile

Is it just me, or are things progressing too quickly? I thought the show was going to go for another season? Has something happened to condense a whole season into a few episodes?

Apparently Hirsch wants to hurry up and get the story and show finished already since Disney has been treating the property like crap and he wants out.

dity

It kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I hope Hirsh goes to another broadcaster, like CN or Nick, for his next show.

Hamlet

If we go by the end cards it looks like we have at least four episodes left this season.
d2rQmK3.jpg
It kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I hope Hirsh goes to another broadcaster, like CN or Nick, for his next show.

Nick would be even worse heh.

UberTag

But we barely got any Pacifica or Wendy :(
And who are they exactly?

If we go by the end cards it looks like we have at least four episodes left this season.
Perhaps the center square is not an end card but a "thank you for watching Gravity Falls" placard.

Between the pacing issues with the these past few episodes and Hirsch changing his mind from 3 seasons and a movie to just 2 seasons, I kind of have to assume they are condensing 2 seasons worth of story into just one and sacrificing the pacing and supporting character-focused stuff in the process. The original plan was probably to have Not What He Seems/A Tale of Two Stans be the Season 2 finale, with Ford & Dipper's story arc played out over the course of Season 3 (where it would have been given more room to breath and develop more naturally along with allowing them to focus on other plot threads) instead of being truncated to fit into about 3 or 4 episodes aired in rapid succession to get us to where we are now (which, assuming all of the remaining 3 episodes are dealing with the hell that Bill has unleashed, probably means this is what the movie was going to be).
That's a real shame. Properly paced a build to what we got this Monday as a cliffhanger lead-in to a movie would have been a solid ratings draw.
So much wasted potential.

Ah well, I'll be curious to see what Hirsch comes up with next with a project that is given his desired time to fully blossom.

Finally saw the episode earlier. Wow, that was intense. That ending. It's a real shame all this apparent behind the scenes drama is affecting the show (seriously what happened to Pacifica?). Feels so weird that the summer is ending and everything feels like a big final confrontation for a series finale. I remember when Hirsch said he was hoping that it would be one month in the show's time would equate to one Season but that's definitely out the window now.

dity

But we barely got any Pacifica or Wendy :(

Wendy getting almost nothing this season makes me :(

Nick would be even worse heh.

Nick is doing ok. They're getting back into cartoons, and despite the creators not being jazzed about the scheduling Harvey Beaks is still getting treated better than Gravity Falls, Wander Over Yonder, and Star Vs the Forces of Evil.

I'm looking forward to Nick's Welcome to the Wayne.

This episode was excellent.
If felt like it was over much quicker than usual.
Is it on again next week or are back to some weird nonsensical schedule.

Psxphile

At least they've been consistent about it! Last few episodes have been a bi-weekly affair. Before that it was several weeks/months before the next episode would air.

Apparently Hirsch wants to hurry up and get the story and show finished already since Disney has been treating the property like crap and he wants out.

Do you have any references for this? I haven't been following the show's production beyond what's been posted in this thread, and I don't recall this ever being mentioned.

Jesus mabel. I never really liked you. But now i hate you. Well done.

If thats true then it will be out of the top 50 cartoons ever made list. Because right now the episodes feel rushed. I hope they pick up again and actual deliver something good.

I'm in agreement, things felt like they came to a head too quickly like they're just trying to end the story ASAP and cutting supporting character arcs loose in the process. Very little Pacifica and Wendy this season when it seemed like their stories would go somewhere. Stan playing a backseat to Ford almost entirely now which is a shame because I loved his little moment with Mabel last episode. Hopefully the tourist trap episode isnt the last one focused on him.

They definitely haven't botched the landing yet but if they do because they just want to get it over with then it will be a real shame. This is one of the most consistent cartoons I've ever watched and it felt like it was gonna be close to a perfect 10 all the way through. I was really hoping for a full season to explore the relationship between the two brothers and have Dipper and Mabel get that understanding of what it means to grow up. It just kind happened in the one episode but hopefully it goes a little further as we reach a resolution.

It's a weird feeling because it was a really good fucking episode but until I watched it I was convinced there was going to be one more season and a movie. I hadn't been paying attention much to what was going on and being said behind the scenes.

MB99

Neo Member
While I understand how it can feel like Stan has taken a little of a backseat to Ford, I think the severity of it is a bit exaggerated. Since a Tale of Two Stans we've had 5 episodes:

Dungeons, Dungeons, & More Dungeons- Mostly Ford, with some Stan

The Stanchurian Candidate- All Stan with some Ford cameos

The Last Mablecorn- All Ford, with like 10 seconds of Stan

Roadside Attraction- All Stan

Dipper & Mabel vs the Future- All Ford with some Stan cameos

So it seems like Alex has been alternating which brother gets more screen time every episode. I think the catch is the Ford appears in the plot oriented episodes which makes them more memorable for some. The reason we haven't really got any Stan and Ford episodes is because their still mad at each other and they probably want to save their reconciliation for the end.

As for the rest of the town, yeah they've been left behind (especially Wendy) but I'm still hopeful for them to get some great moments in these final episodes (Wendy looks ready for action in the preview for next episode).

KiN0

While I understand how it can feel like Stan has taken a little of a backseat to Ford, I think the severity of it is a bit exaggerated. Since a Tale of Two Stans we've had 5 episodes:

Dungeons, Dungeons, & More Dungeons- Mostly Ford, with some Stan

The Stanchurian Candidate- All Stan with some Ford cameos

The Last Mablecorn- All Ford, with like 10 seconds of Stan

Roadside Attraction- All Stan

Dipper & Mabel vs the Future- All Ford with some Stan cameos

So it seems like Alex has been alternating which brother gets more screen time every episode. I think the catch is the Ford appears in the plot oriented episodes which makes them more memorable for some. The reason we haven't really got any Stan and Ford episodes is because their still mad at each other and they probably want to save their reconciliation for the end.

As for the rest of the town, yeah they've been left behind (especially Wendy) but I'm still hopeful for them to get some great moments in these final episodes (Wendy looks ready for action in the preview for next episode).

This never works in any medium of storytelling. You can't separate two feuding characters and then bring them together at the last minute for a slapped-together reconciliation. That's just setting the viewers up for a very forced resolution.

PSqueak

Banned

I think they reduced the amount of Wendy because she was such a driving force for many episodes in season one and into the bunker was a really well done closure to all the wendy stuff. And, people waifu-ing her aside, a lot of people seemed really annoyed at the amount of "Dipper does something because WENDY" plots.

What i find really weird is that lately we have been getting a lot of Grenda screen time instead of Wendy, which is kinda funny, not that i'm complaining, i wuv wuv Grenda.

dity

I think they reduced the amount of Wendy because she was such a driving force for many episodes in season one and into the bunker was a really well done closure to all the wendy stuff. And, people waifu-ing her aside, a lot of people seemed really annoyed at the amount of "Dipper does something because WENDY" plots.

What i find really weird is that lately we have been getting a lot of Grenda screen time instead of Wendy, which is kinda funny, not that i'm complaining, i wuv wuv Grenda.

Despite the Wendy "closure" Dipper still has a lot of photos of her and seemingly hasn't moved on. I assumed Pacifica was going to replace her as a love interest, but she was dropped entirely.

Still think it sucks to basically remove Wendy from the cast of the show because Dipper is trying to get over her though.

I also think it sucks that Soos has been almost forgotten. It's like s2e5 was basically his closure, so now he just stands around or whatever.

I'm a bit frustrated after all this waiting for these episodes to not see my fav characters get much more screen time :'( that's all.

Psxphile

Do you have any references for this? I haven't been following the show's production beyond what's been posted in this thread, and I don't recall this ever being mentioned.

No, it's just idle speculation from some fans about how the show went from a possible 3 seasons to 2 seasons and a movie, and now maybe just the 2 seasons + Alex occasionally tweeting about the difficulties he's had working with Disney on the show (the no Blu-Ray thing and constant delays is a sore point, last I read). I think it might have been posted once in this very thread at some point.

No, it's just idle speculation from some fans about how the show went from a possible 3 seasons to 2 seasons and a movie, and now maybe just the 2 seasons + Alex occasionally tweeting about the difficulties he's had working with Disney on the show (the no Blu-Ray thing and constant delays is a sore point, last I read). I think it might have been posted once in this very thread at some point.

Considering how some people in this thread reacted to your post like it was fact, you should have noted that it's just supposition.

Nightbird

Despite the Wendy "closure" Dipper still has a lot of photos of her and seemingly hasn't moved on. I assumed Pacifica was going to replace her as a love interest, but she was dropped entirely.

This should really happen. Or at least with Candy. Or anyone.

God damnit, give Dipper some Girl to love please!

Toxi

Banned
After all the setup for Bill Cipher infiltrating Gravity Falls to try and get to Ford's rift, it was extremely anticlimactic to have him show up in an obvious way as Blandin and reveal himself a minute later. No subtlety there. And the way he convinced Mabel to give him the rift was lame and unsubtle compared to how he tricked Dipper in Sock Opera. It would have worked a lot better if he had possessed someone who would naturally interact with Mabel like Candy or Grenda or even Pacifica so that her getting fooled would be more understandable.

I really liked the episode besides the rushed ending, but it makes me worried how the show is rushing to its conclusion.

dity

This should really happen. Or at least with Candy. Or anyone.

God damnit, give Dipper some Girl to love please!
In the final episode, Dipper encounters Alien Wendy. She's really a giant slug monster but she falls in love with him. The credits roll.

After all the setup for Bill Cipher infiltrating Gravity Falls to try and get to Ford's rift, it was extremely anticlimactic to have him show up in an obvious way as Blandin and reveal himself a minute later. No subtlety there. And the way he convinced Mabel to give him the rift was lame and unsubtle compared to how he tricked Dipper in Sock Opera.

I really liked the episode besides the rushed ending, but it makes me worried how the show is rushing to its conclusion.
It reminded me of the ending to ep 10. It was like they had a whole episode of something unrelated just to have the actual "plot" rear its head in the last 5 seconds of footage. Kinda sucks.

Just saw the latest episode. I really liked Mable and dippers interactions, but overall it felt way too rushed. I guess it's because they're trying to cram in an ending in a short amount of time. They should have focused on it just being
about dipper wanting to be with Ford after the summer and Mable not wanting that, the end with Bill was way too much for one episode in my opinion. That should have been an entire episode by itself. I feel like they haven't touched enough on gruncle stan and fords relationship either. I wish they interacted more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom