• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush 2 |OT| Mewton's Law of Gravity

Slygmous

Is the anything I can add my name to? I need the shorts back.

PSN: Kapryov

I'm pretty terrible at the challenges I've unlocked so far, don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing for tokens!
Please add me :)

Ferr986

I just wanted the Work outfit. Now that I have it, I don't particularly care about the rest of what the Dusty Tokens give me tbh (I do want to know what that Unlimited Potential Talisman does though...)

The only other outfits I'm interested in now is the Kali one, and the new one I have yet to see.

But I'm a Gravity Queen, I'm not dressing like a peasant worker :p

I would actually like the GR1 outfit.... but that price lol

Dunan

OK, trying one of these photo challenges: what do I actually do? I'm in the spot where the person took the photo. Is something supposed to happen automatically? Should I take my own photo here?

( Edit: figured it out. Here is what you do. Get to the point where that person took the photo, and in your field of vision there should be a treasure chest. Mine was shaped like a red apple with gold edges. You can open that.)

Just got to the city and wow this game is so much more charming the instant you get there. There's color! There's charm! The world is actually fun to explore and navigate and not a dirt festival in a fart bog!

What the fuck was the point of that 3 hour tutorial. Awful, awful story, ugly visuals, and just plain boring activities - I was dumbstruck when I got to the (very early game spoilers, no idea if this is a Big Deal)
Forbidden Lands
and it was a ten stage tutorial reiterating everything that I had been taught already. I was ready to huck the game out the damn window.

Just got to the city and wow this game is so much more charming the instant you get there. There's color! There's charm! The world is actually fun to explore and navigate and not a dirt festival in a fart bog!

What the fuck was the point of that 3 hour tutorial. Awful, awful story, ugly visuals, and just plain boring activities - I was dumbstruck when I got to the (very early game spoilers, no idea if this is a Big Deal)
Forbidden Lands
and it was a ten stage tutorial reiterating everything that I had been taught already. I was ready to huck the game out the damn window.
Classifying it just as tutorial seems kind of reductive IMO. And your reaction shows that the devs pulled off what they intended.

black070

Forbidden Lands

The handholding and slow pace was probably to make sure even the most casual, infrequent gamer understood the concept and controls of the game. It would be a bigger issue if it didn't make up a fraction of the games overall length.

Ferr986

One thing I think it's a stepdown from 1 so far (I'm still early) are the secondary NPCs. GR1 had more crazy weird NPCs like the old man and the fortune teller.

So far, characters like Lisa, Fi or Cecie are either boring or annoying (especially Cecie, god she's annoying).

Meanwhile Syd is better in 2. He (and obviously Kat) steal the show.

black070

One thing I think it's a stepdown from 1 so far (I'm still early) are the secondary NPCs. GR1 had more crazy weird NPCs like the old man and the fortune teller.

So far, characters like Lisa, Fi or Cecie are either boring or annoying (especially Cecie, god she's annoying).

Wait till you get to the first town my friend, the side missions have all sorts of wackiness.

The
old pervert
had me in stitches.

Kumo

Got the game today and added everyone I saw in this thread. Hopefully you guys can add me back! In case anyone wants to add me, my PSN ID is ryokumo. Now time to get back to playing, lol.

Lunar style is amazing but I with I could immediately turn it on and off at will for a little more control in a certain fight that follows.

And then Kat glitched into the giant Nevi so I could kick it in the balls in prefect safety.

Classifying it just as tutorial seems kind of reductive IMO. And your reaction shows that the devs pulled off what they intended.

My reaction was nearly giving up on the game entirely. It would have been just as charming to get to the city without spending three hours being force fed exposition.

The handholding and slow pace was probably to make sure even the most casual, infrequent gamer understood the concept and controls of the game. It would be a bigger issue if it didn't make up a fraction of the games overall length.

Absolutely, but it was still wildly excessive. At the very least, they should have picked one tutorial or the other instead of essentially having two tutorials.

I can't believe some people want to skip side missions. They're all about fleshing the characters out while offering some small bit of action or comedic gameplay. Hell some of them even feel like main missions.

Just enjoy everything. The biggest problem with the first game is that there wasn't enough of it.

Hedgey

Oh wow, you can copy the OST from the DLC application to a USB stick.
Thank god, because this soundtrack is outstanding.

I can't believe some people want to skip side missions. They're all about fleshing the characters out while offering some small bit of action or comedic gameplay. Hell some of them even feel like main missions.

Just enjoy everything. The biggest problem with the first game is that there wasn't enough of it.

Ehhh- they're fine if they accomplish something.
In the first half of the game, I've definitely seen a lot of characterization of townspeople, and how the different status rankings act.
But the gameplay in each side mission is often repeated or unnecessarily frustrating (See: Dog)

Also, the OT needs to be updated to reflect that watching Gravity Rush Overture is MANDATORY if anyone wants to understand certain parts of the game. The game assumes the player watched Overture already.

BigEmil

Forbidden Lands
By now you should have mastered proficiency in Gravity Queen skillz

The addition of animations where Kat's in control of her power alongside the more dynamic freefalls add so much more variety to shifting.

dAxj3Dm.gif

lsYMXUg.gif

5jwvCGV.gif

Also

Tei6nNp.gif

Number45

I haven't touched any of the challenges properly yet (just got to the first city location and done a side mission) but feel free to add me for challenges and stuff! PSN: Number45

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
In terms of improvement from GR1, this is basically like Suikoden 1 to Suikoden 2 in terms of improvement.

Got my costumes from 1 sorted 🤗

Just turned 2 on and got a new gesture cuz my photo's have been helping people. I might add some people from here in a bit, need them costumes yo. I'll say i'm from Gaf in the request if i send any.

Mifune

Mehmber
Okay, I take back the mean things I said earlier. It's a wonderful game once you get to the city. Cecie is still annoying as hell (well, her voice is) but everything else is fun fun fun, including the side missions.

Not even kidding, though, was thinking of dropping it after the mining shit. That's a bad, bad, opening few hours.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Once you hit the city the game becomes good, but they could have accomplished the same thing a bit quicker. I do think that's a flaw.

These photo missions are hard AF

LotusHD

Banned
I'm getting real tired of all this Cecie slander lol

Original outfit doe. Kat's heels were a lot better back then! 5000 tokens HERE WE COME!

I am not going out of my way to get a outfit that I can't immediately tell looks different lol

Plus, I like the alternate ones better anyways.

But I'm a Gravity Queen, I'm not dressing like a peasant worker :p

I would actually like the GR1 outfit.... but that price lol

A queen wears whatever she likes

Also, are we really bringing up dressing like a peasant worker when Kat has slept in the sewers?

Nah, keep playing. This game has tons of weird ass people.

Exactly.

Finally got Lunar Style.

This is like the Superman game we deserve.

Agreed.

DylanEno

Everyone who said the game gets good once you hit the city was 100% right.

This game gets world traversal so right. It's so unique and so easy / fun to traverse due to Kat's abilities. I honestly don't think I can go back to an open world game after GR2, it's just that good.

I'll try my best for BoTW, but wow. This is amazing.

LotusHD

Banned
Everyone who said the game gets good once you hit the city was 100% right.

This game gets world traversal so right. It's so unique and so easy / fun to traverse due to Kat's abilities. I honestly don't think I can go back to an open world game after GR2, it's just that good.

I'll try my best for BoTW, but wow. This is amazing.

I told people that FFXV and BoTW were more or less the last bastions in determining how I'd look at open world games in the future. But for GR2, I never had to worry about it. When you have an open world game that gets the traversal right, it becomes infinitely more fun to play.

brawly

I'm at mission 10 and it's been really underwhelming so far. Stop it with the whole sneaking around and avoiding guards. Ugh.

Lunar style is cool and all but structure wise it's a big letdown and stepdown from the first one so far. Just let me kick ass.

DylanEno

I told people that FFXV and BoTW were more or less the last bastions in determining how I'd look at open world games in the future. But for GR2, I never had to worry about it. When you have an open world game that gets the traversal right, it becomes infinitely more fun to play.
110%. I hate open world games as a general rule because they feel like such a waste of time and never respect the player with regards to the hours they invest - I played a couple hours with FFXV and was like yeah nah. Fucking terrible empty open world that's SO SLOW to traverse. With GR2, they've near perfected it. Just the animations alone are fun enough to justify taking a minute or two to get from place to place - it's so damn smart they way they polished the look AND feel of falling with gravity.

maouvin

Found a green nevi while mining - it came out from those green things we break.
Wasn't really expecting it and died in two hits ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The photo stuff is the most appealing part of the game so far - the digital tourism draw here is far stronger than I've seen in basically any other game. Is this how you unlock costumes and gestures and props?

LotusHD

Banned
110%. I hate open world games as a general rule because they feel like such a waste of time and never respect the player with regards to the hours they invest - I played a couple hours with FFXV and was like yeah nah. Fucking terrible empty open world that's SO SLOW to traverse. With GR2, they've near perfected it. Just the animations alone are fun enough to justify taking a minute or two to get from place to place - it's so damn smart they way they polished the look AND feel of falling with gravity.

Exactly. Like I already thought the first game was enough to "ruin" open world games for me, but then the sequel just goes and takes it to another level. Amazing.

Now I'm like addicted to it. If future open world games lack an efficient method of traversing their huge ass world, my interest lowers greatly. Only bought FFXV and pre-ordered Zelda because of their pedigree. Horizon will almost assuredly suffer from what I'm talking about, while Nier seems okay due to it having shortcuts and presumably having a smaller world than its competition.

I know not every game can do shit like Gravity Rush, particularly the more grounded games, but damn it, y'all need to find a way.

The photo stuff is the most appealing part of the game so far - the digital tourism draw here is far stronger than I've seen in basically any other game. Is this how you unlock costumes and gestures and props?

A few of them are unlocked through tokens, yes.

DylanEno

Exactly. Like I already thought the first game was enough to "ruin" open world games for me, but then the sequel just goes and takes it to another level. Amazing.

Now I'm like addicted to it. If future open world games lack an efficient method of traversing their huge ass world, my interest lowers greatly. Only bought FFXV and pre-ordered Zelda because of their pedigree. Horizon will almost assuredly suffer from what I'm talking about, while Nier seems okay due to it having shortcuts and presumably having a smaller world than its competition.

I know not every game can do shit like Gravity Rush, particularly the more grounded games, but damn it, y'all need to find a way.
The terrifying thing for me is: how well is this game going to sell? As much as I hate to say it, the appeal of a character like Kat and anime setting like gravity Rush seems relatively niche and I don't see it selling nearly as well as any of the theee open world games you mentioned. And as a result, devs will continue to make games with similar slow and clunky world traversal over free form, insanely polished mechanics of a game like gravity Rush 2. It's tragic in more ways than one tbh. :/

This stealth side mission is fucking terrible. Anyone know how to get down to the deal to take a photo? It's doing my head in now.

nvm, found the way down.

LotusHD

Banned
The terrifying thing for me is: how well is this game going to sell? As much as I hate to say it, the appeal of a character like Kat and anime setting like gravity Rush seems relatively niche and I don't see it selling nearly as well as any of the theee open world games you mentioned. And as a result, devs will continue to make games with similar slow and clunky world traversal over free form, insanely polished mechanics of a game like gravity Rush 2. It's tragic in more ways than one tbh. :/

I actually think Kat as a character would have universal appeal due to her personality, but I agree that the setting and design (and probably the box art? Not to mention it doesn't capture the whole "You can control gravity" very well imo) likely turn people off. You're completely right though. It's already bad enough that this is potentially the last we'll see of the series. But this game has more or less solved (or come extremely close to solving) a grievance many have with open world games. When people say they have open world fatigue, I feel like many of them would not feel that way if they could just quickly travel everywhere. (Fast travel does not count of course) Where you can both appreciate the huge world that's been built for you, but actually be able to reasonably explore it all. Even in stuff like Witcher 3 that's filled with loads of content, it's just too much of a slog to bother with it all. It feels like you'd have to be a completionist to begin with to have that sort of drive to want to actually check every nook and cranny, or at least try to.

At first I thought a game basically had to be so charming that you wouldn't care as much. (BoTW is that game for me) But Gravity Rush as a series informs me that nah, you can have your cake and eat it too. Not every game is going to give you gravity powers, but I certainly hope that developers take into consideration what it absolutely got right when planning future games.

Ferr986

Wait till you get to the first town my friend, the side missions have all sorts of wackiness.

The
old pervert
had me in stitches.

Yeah I did that one, but I mean wacky characters, he's the regular
old perv

But I'm still early, 20% done and 10 hours in, taking it slowly lol

A queen wears whatever she likes

Also, are we really bringing up dressing like a peasant worker when Kat has slept in the sewers?

.... touche lol

Btw, I got the peas....worker outfit. I suddenly got a bump that took me to 400 tokens. All from threasure hunting. Still not getting picture ratings :(

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Do they explain where Dusty comes from? Or rather why he miraculously reappears? That was hokey.

Top Bottom