• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush 2 |OT| Mewton's Law of Gravity

This seems super plausible. It's so different from the rest of the game in pacing and design (it's clear this is where their budget started to get strained). However having played the first game I am really enjoying the exposition despite finding it a bit frustrating otherwise. However, it honestly feels like a "bonus" chapter so I don't mind its faults too much. The amount of content in this game is impressive.

Yeah, at parts it is really easy to think "this is where 2 would have ended...this would be 3".

I had similar feelings about that chapter. It seemed like they had some big ideas about what they wanted to do with the final section(s), but looking back, it was all fairly straightforward and over quickly.

Thinking about the final areas:
When I saw that it was an entire city up there, I half expected an entire next section of city-scale gameplay. Considering what you get instead from an asset and content perspective, they turned a little into a lot. The palace itself was extremely confined and simple - 2 rooms, 2 hallways, all relatively spartan, and the ethereal block puzzle memory chain area was only those few blocks with a skybox.

They were at least able to stretch them both out using iterative repetition. The queen days were particularly effective, I thought, at getting across the frustration Kat was feeling at both being bored to death and knowing she'd forgotten things. And then you're back in Hekesville, just with some crap strewn about and the clocktower busted up.

I definitely could've seen all of that being held over to another sequel, but wanting for time or funding or uncertainty about the future of the franchise near the end of development, feeling forced to make it happen. I will say that when the
credits rolled after Chapter III, I felt a mix of strong disappointment and strong excitement. This wrapped up the immediate story line to a degree, so it's a relatively clean place to wrap things up, but it also felt way too abrupt. On the other hand, nothing from GR1 was resolved and was barely even hinted at, so clearly they're saving that for a sequel - fuck yes... but, yeah, who knows now.

Despite what they've said and sales so far, I'll be keeping some hope alive.

muteki

Thinking about it even further, I wonder if in the "Gravity Rush has multiple sequels" universe if we even would have been
back to Heksville at all.

Keihart

Quick question, why do you pick up npcs with you now when shifting gravity? as i recall, that only happened when using stasis field in the first game, i mean, i don't like sending npcs fliying all over the place for no reason :(

Quick question, why do you pick up npcs with you now when shifting gravity? as i recall, that only happened when using stasis field in the first game, i mean, i don't like sending npcs fliying all over the place for no reason :(

It totally happened in the first game all the time.

With great power comes great responsibility or something.

MikeDown

Banned
Wish more games had a photomode like Gravity Rush 2, here are a couple pics:
7ifCIR5.jpg

nbBuAXX.jpg

QSoFBr0.jpg

HYeVwZC.jpg

Shin-Ra

~5600/6000 Dusty Tokens before the special event ended, token numbers are still higher than the game launched with though.

About 800 players on the leaderboards reached 6000 when I checked earlier today.

Gravidee

I'm still below 2000 tokens despite the increase during the event. Do you still earn tokens passively when the game isn't turned on? I submitted a bunch of photos.

I'm still below 2000 tokens despite the increase during the event. Do you still earn tokens passively when the game isn't turned on? I submitted a bunch of photos.

You should, yes, but photos are the most unreliable token earning method I've found. It's better to send out challenges and do lots of treasure hunts. If you do photos, make sure you take them at locations players will frequently be at; the pipe house is naturally the best location.

I skipped a day due to work so I'm probably no longer in the top 300 in the token ranking, lol

Does anyone else feel like
Chapter Eto was originally the basis for Gravity Rush 3? It really seems like there's more than enough material in the premise of that chapter to carry a whole other game. But as soon as the dev's caught wind that they weren't going to get a third chance, they bolted what they had onto the end of this game. It just seems weird that the game brings up Kat's amnesia and lack of backstory exactly zero times up until that point, before giving you an enormous exposition dump.
Honestly, while I understand where you're all coming from (and I'll agree that the last chapter was a bit rushed), I doubt that wasn't planned from the start. If you take away that last chapter we wouldn't have learnt anything new at all about Kat, which seems implausible to me.

tsundoku

You should, yes, but photos are the most unreliable token earning method I've found. It's better to send out challenges and do lots of treasure hunts. If you do photos, make sure you take them at locations players will frequently be at; the pipe house is naturally the best location.

I skipped a day due to work so I'm probably no longer in the top 300 in the token ranking, lol

i sent and re sent literal hundreds of photos and got back maybe 5 nices ever
but also it doesn't notify you of what 100% of the tokens you gained while you were offline were from

i also sent out every challenge once and only ever got a few of those back so I figured out the obvious strategy of just taking pictures at the house you spawn at after saving and quitting and doing the treasure hunts twice a day.

While the 5400 tokens after my first six hundred came with about equal effort the network after the maintenance seemed to be functioning even worse as I had definitely done way more treasure hunts in a day / actually got them regularly to get that 600 then after the patch, so I don't know what they patched aside from maybe shutting off a server they had paid for thinking the game would sell more then 80-100 thousand copies.

And now that the dusty tokens have dropped again and everyone willing to play the game 1-2 weeks in addition to getting the platinum already got theirs.
the 3,4,5,6 thousand dusty token rewards are a cruel fucking joke again. Don't understand why they didnt just leave it like that :(

Honestly, while I understand where you're all coming from (and I'll agree that the last chapter was a bit rushed), I doubt that wasn't planned from the start. If you take away that last chapter we wouldn't have learnt anything new at all about Kat, which seems implausible to me.

Maybe not so much as the game simply ending with chapter 3 but
It definitely seems like the last section of the game they threw together with the bits they were saving for the 3rd title.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Is there a way to get a memo to the GR2 designers that putting forced stealth missions with no vision cones or radar into a "fly anywhere" game is the fucking worst thing you could go with?

I'm so stop and start with enjoying this game as just as I have fun, it throws some "decode exactly what the level designer was thinking" shit into my mouth.

No idea how far through I am, but so far GR1 feels like the more even experience.

Nydius

Does anyone have a tracklist of the 15 track soundtrack that is on the PSN store? I can't seem to find any. I'm interested in buying but i'd like to hear what tunes made the selection (apparently, it's a selection of a much larger collection that is going to be released on 22 february).

Not sure if anyone fully answered this. My Search Fu doesn't seem to indicate that anyone has. Even though I have the four disk soundtrack preordered from Amazon Japan, I broke down and bought the PSN 15 track list for immediate enjoyment. Here's the tracklist of the PSN App version and I'll include a tracklist of the 9 track "Director's Choice" preorder version (I don't have that one but I found it posted up on youtube). E1: Used an image from iTunes for the first one because a track name in there might be somewhat spoilery if you don't know the general plot advance, so enlarge at your own risk. E2: Just in case anyone is wondering, the MP3s when downloaded from the app are 320kbit, 48000 Hz joint stereo.

GR2 PSN OST said:

GR2 Director's Choice OST said:
01 Gravity Rush 2
02 Storm and Triumph
03 Fire-Bound Lions
04 Hot Pursuit
05 The Lost City
06 Under Invasion
07 Candlelit Journey
08 Angel
09 Night Gale

LotusHD

Banned
Wait, how do you continue after you beat the main game? I don't have any other main missions after 20.

The conversation icons. Look for the one that says "Shining Girl" or w/e. You have to speak to her like 3 times (so 3 separate icons), and then the story will proceed.

Vigamox

Is there a way to get a memo to the GR2 designers that putting forced stealth missions with no vision cones or radar into a "fly anywhere" game is the fucking worst thing you could go with?

I'm so stop and start with enjoying this game as just as I have fun, it throws some "decode exactly what the level designer was thinking" shit into my mouth.

I agree. Getting spotted by flying vehicles is the worst though, especially in the earlier missions. Those vehicles don't even have a way of looking up or down (they only have windows on the front and sides), yet can spot you if you're directly above or below them. The stealth is not done very well, which is really annoying since they reuse it for so many missions.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I've generally stayed away from people's opinions on the game, so for all I know I could be the only one who feels this way, but I loved Gravity Rush and something about Gravity Rush 2 so far isn't clicking with me.

I'm not very far in, so I'm admitting right now I could just not be far enough in yet and it didn't hit its stride, but I'm maybe an hour or two in and I've already had multiple missions where I walk around and press square to ask random passerby's on the street questions. It just felt so mundane, second-rate, and lazy. I hope this isn't something that is in the game all the way through.

Again, maybe it's just early, but I felt Gravity Rush shot out of a cannon and never looked back, and didn't dilly dally, but Gravity Rush 2 seems to be wandered aimlessly so far. I'll keep playing as of now, but if it's still like this 5+ hours in then I'm going to consider shelving it for the time being and returning later. I take certain prescription meds that make me extremely tired and it's such a struggle for me to get through games that kinda dance around too often and don't get down to business.

cheesekao

I've generally stayed away from people's opinions on the game, so for all I know I could be the only one who feels this way, but I loved Gravity Rush and something about Gravity Rush 2 so far isn't clicking with me.

I'm not very far in, so I'm admitting right now I could just not be far enough in yet and it didn't hit its stride, but I'm maybe an hour or two in and I've already had multiple missions where I walk around and press square to ask random passerby's on the street questions. It just felt so mundane, second-rate, and lazy. I hope this isn't something that is in the game all the way through.

Again, maybe it's just early, but I felt Gravity Rush shot out of a cannon and never looked back, and didn't dilly dally, but Gravity Rush 2 seems to be wandered aimlessly so far. I'll keep playing as of now, but if it's still like this 5+ hours in then I'm going to consider shelving it for the time being and returning later. I take certain prescription meds that make me extremely tired and it's such a struggle for me to get through games that kinda dance around too often and don't get down to business.
Are you still in Banga? That part is generally considered to be the slow part of the game. Once you get to Jirga Para Lhao, things will open up. I finished the Banga chapter in under 2 hours I think

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Are you still in Banga? That part is generally considered to be the slow part of the game. Once you get to Jirga Para Lhao, things will open up. I finished the Banga chapter in under 2 hours I think

Just got there, and I'm about two missions in. I'm hoping things start becoming fast and action packed like much of Gravity Rush was.

cheesekao

Just got there, and I'm about two missions in. I'm hoping things start becoming fast and action packed like much of Gravity Rush was.
I advise you to skip side quests for the moment since they're not really necessary and slows down your progress. The game definitely gets crazy down the line but I can see how you may not like the relatively slow pacing compared the first game since that one was initially a Vita title and thus far more condensed.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I advise you to skip side quests for the moment since they're not really necessary and slows down your progress. The game definitely gets crazy down the line but I can see how you may not like the relatively slow pacing compared the first game since that one was initially a Vita title and thus far more condensed.

On that point, I noticed something about this game and correct me if I'm wrong. The green challenges in Gravity Rush were a huge part in getting gems and upgrading your character.

It seems in this they are much less useful because you can go mining in those super large areas and spend literally over an hour in there mining. Do I even need to do the challenges in this game? Seems I no longer need them to upgrade my character, unless they provide other benefits.

cheesekao

On that point, I noticed something about this game and correct me if I'm wrong. The green challenges in Gravity Rush were a huge part in getting gems and upgrading your character.

It seems in this they are much less useful because you can go mining in those super large areas and spend literally over an hour in there mining. Do I even need to do the challenges in this game? Seems I no longer need them to upgrade my character, unless they provide other benefits.
They are important if you want to get the trophy for 100%ing all of Kat's powers since the game doesn't really give you enough even if you gold medal all the challenges. Otherwise, one shouldn't really worry about gems too much. Still, challenges give you a burst of gems (they can go up to 1k++ during late game) and aren't difficult to gold medal so it's really up to you.

Sorry if this is a really dumb question but how and where do I unlock more Kat costumes?
Is it with Dusty tokens?

Been away on work trip all week and all I wanna do is play more GR2! It really kicks off once you get to Jirga.

Nydius

OléGunner;230064071 said:
Sorry if this is a really dumb question but how and where do I unlock more Kat costumes?
Is it with Dusty tokens?

Been away on work trip all week and all I wanna do is play more GR2! It really kicks off once you get to Jirga.

Side missions and Dusty Tokens both.

Nydius

OléGunner;230064463 said:
Thanks.
Then do I unlock the costumes in main menu or is there an in game store?

They just unlock as you meet the requirements for them. Once you have them, you access them in your camera by pressing O to access the costume/wardrobe menu.

Edit: The free PSO collaboration costume has to be downloaded manually from PSN.

They just unlock as you meet the requirements for them. Once you have them, you access them in your camera by pressing O to access the costume/wardrobe menu.

Edit: The free PSO collaboration costume has to be downloaded manually from PSN.

Thanks again for explaining!
I think I'd have missed doing that for a good long while.

Just finished it last night. Wow, chapters
21-26
were...something. I enjoyed them because I enjoy zany shit where it seems like the writers are just throwing portentous shit at a wall and not caring whether or not any of it sticks, but it felt even more narrativelly haphazard than the rest of the game.

I enjoyed the hell out of Gravity Rush 2, much more than most it seems like, but it really feels like the first half and second half of the game were planned to be two separate games that they stuck together when they found out they weren't going to get a chance at making Gravity Rush 3, and it suffers for it.

Well, I finally finished this. I liked the story beats a lot but the gameplay was just a mess in the last few chapters. I ended up being pretty disappointed overall.

Hi guys

About to finish up yakuza 0 here and looking for a change in pace. Would this game be drastically different in terms of structure from yakuza 0, or is it kind of the same gameplay with different skin?

I honestly don't know much about Gravity rush. To my understanding,it is a quest based open world game, kind of like yakuza (though that isn't entirely open world...)

Thanks for any input on this.

Hi guys

About to finish up yakuza 0 here and looking for a change in pace. Would this game be drastically different in terms of structure from yakuza 0, or is it kind of the same gameplay with different skin?

I honestly don't know much about Gravity rush. To my understanding,it is a quest based open world game, kind of like yakuza (though that isn't entirely open world...)

I've not played a Yakuza game so I don't know how the story in that flows, but progression isn't really like open world games. It's open world in that you can explore at your leisure between missions and you are (generally) not restricted in how far you can explore, but the story progression is very linear.

Would you be starting from the first game or the second? Both are available on PS4, albeit it's now very difficult to find a physical copy of the first game.

Shoeless

Hi guys

Don't expect the same kind of elaborate set up for side-missions here as you'd get with side-stories in Yakuza. There's a lot more emphasis on travel/traversal rather than just running around beating up fools that get in your way. They feel VERY different in terms of gameplay style, so I'd say it's a decent palette cleanser if you don't want something that feels too similar to Yakuza.

I'm actually doing it the reverse of your order, where I've finished Gravity Rush and am playing Yakuza, but take occasional breaks to grind out challenges and treasure hunts in GR2 before diving back in real estate battles in Yakuza.

Hi guys

I mean, they're totally different games. You can try the demo on PSN if you want to get a feel for the game, but as someone who's beaten both now, they're not remotely similiar.

If it wasn't clear, I was referring to Chapter Eto.

The Queen stuff was kind of boring, but I get what they wanted thematically and it worked out fine so I don't really have any real complaints there. I do think the block puzzle part dragged on for far too long and the final battles just weren't very good. The fights with the electric woman from the crystal ended up being more irritating than they needed to be due to how many there were and how finnicky the camera gets (by far the biggest problem with this game). While they do highlight the correct one, trying to find her in the middle of all of them while trying to throw a missile at her just came across as very annoying and, well, not fun. Last fight also kinda dragged on. In general, it felt like the entire chapter could've been condensed it a bit and it would have been improved quite a bit.

Overall, while I don't think the game was bad, I did end up being pretty disappointed by the end result. This is purely from a gameplay standpoint though. I did like the story and characters and I loved the music and overall aesthetic. The regular movement throughout the city was great too.

Mathieran

Banned
Just finished all missions this afternoon. Took me about 40 hours that I mostly enjoyed. The game definitely is greater than the sum of its parts. I've never had a game that goes back and forth between being immensely enjoyed to ridiculously frustrated. Fortunately most of the worst stuff can be avoided. I think the worst part is you always have to do the annoying thing more than once.

I was really sad to be finished with the story. I just wanna spend more time with Kat. I would really like an anime series. They could flesh out the world some more and just do one off baddies for Kat to take care of. If we're not gonna get another game anyways.

I feel like they were so close to true greatness with this. Tighten up the combat and ditch some of the annoying parts and it would be a real masterpiece.

Top Bottom