• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush |OT| C’est la Vita

AwRy108

Come now.. this is a cool game but there are enough legitimate issues that have been spelled out in reviews to justify opinions, and I agree with many of them. Saying "you guys just don't like japanese games" as a retort to those concerns isn't really a great argument.

Yeah, most of the complaints issued against the game by respectable reviewers are valid; but applying a stupid number to the game is what's making fans irritated and potential consumers scared to spend their $. Ultimately, it comes down to how an individual values the overall experience the game offers.

I agree that the world and the mechanics are just loaded with potential that the final product doesn't take advantage of; but the content that is present is still really fun and engaging. As is, I still love it: the animations, physics, and musical score that accompany soaring through the air never get less breath-taking.

I'd love to see a sequel to this game that fully realizes the gameplay potential of what we see here.

zoku88

I wish this game had some sort of lock-on system. I find have full camera control with dual analogs to be somewhat of a pain :-/ Maybe it's because I'm used to only doing so with a mouse.

megalowho

Yeah, most of the complaints issued against the game by respectable reviewers are valid; but applying a stupid number to the game is what's making fans irritated and potential consumers scared to spend their $. Ultimately, it comes down to how an individual values the overall experience the game offers.

I agree that the world and the mechanics are just loaded with potential that the final product doesn't take advantage of; but the content that is present is still really fun and engaging. As is, I still love it: the animations, physics, and musical score that accompany soaring through the air never get less breath-taking.

I'd love to see a sequel to this game that fully realizes the gameplay potential of what we see here.
Totally agree. The numbers are stupid, both as a boiled down metric that many readers stop at without bothering to dig deeper and as a deterrent to potential buyers. 3/5 or 7/10 still automatically equates to "not worth it" for too many people, and all that does is push reviewers further and further away from using the entire spectrum. Somehow that psychological barrier has to be broken.

Also would love to see a sequel that builds upon the concepts that they nailed. Not finished with the game, but the potential for where they go from here is huge.

holy dang, that (~mission 9?)
lava room big punch
dude is actually mildly tough! i haven't had to upgrade my health yet, lol.

i'm still enjoying the game, especially now that i'm getting a hang of traversing. you can do some pretty cool stuff.

Anyone else notice how this game doesn't turn down the brightness like every other first party game? Lovin' it. Graphics are so bright. :D

holy dang, that (~mission 9?)
lava room big punch
dude is actually mildly tough! i haven't had to upgrade my health yet, lol.

i'm still enjoying the game, especially now that i'm getting a hang of traversing. you can do some pretty cool stuff.

Depends which one you run into. If you follow the flower you'll go toward an easy one. If you went below toward the railing that leads you into a pipe- thats a secret one. Which is hard

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I'm kind of jealous then and it makes me wonder if Nintendo has made changes to the hardware. My 3DS is a launch unit. When did you purchase yours? The volume is absolutely too low on my 3DS. It's quieter than either of my DS units (DS Lite and DSi XL), quieter than a PSP, and similar to a Vita.

Now I'm really curious.

Launch unit. Change the sound settings to Stereo tho, it's on Surround by the default and that is quiter (still loud enough for me, can't play at Max).

Man this game looks to be freakin' incredible, I wish I could play it.

Takao

Banned
I've finally got some time to actually sit down and play it, and well ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤

Mzo

I had a sneaking suspicion that the reviewers complaining about the combat were just uncoordinated and bad at video games.

I was right.

hertog

This game is just awesome.

The art-style, the resonance of faith music and the gameplay. Everything just clicks.
Show this and uncharted to everyone who has doubts about the Vita.

Verelios

Damn, it's so hard to fit in gravity sliding into combat. It's much easier to just fly around and kick.

Also, do I get more powers other than the ones I have now? I'm on chapter 6 by the way.

I've finally got some time to actually sit down and play it, and well ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤

This game is - for lack of a better term - utterly enchanting.

Everything about it appeals to me; I haven't enjoyed myself so much so quickly with a new IP since... geeze, probably since the PS2...

This game should sell many thousands of Vitas... it's a shame that it probably won't...

Ken

Also, do I get more powers other than the ones I have now? I'm on chapter 6 by the way.

Think so. I wasn't paying attention to the chapter numbers when I played it but you get at least
3 "special abilities" by the end of the game.

jgmo870

Banned
Damn, it's so hard to fit in gravity sliding into combat. It's much easier to just fly around and kick.

I think increasing the gyro sensitivity should help out. You do get three special attacks in the game.

OT: I just started my second playthrough, and that opening scene w/the apple is more important than I first thought.

Also, if anyone found The Travelers all 16 times, mind telling me where I can?

Mzo

Everything about it appeals to me; I haven't enjoyed myself so much so quickly with a new IP since... geeze, probably since the PS2...

This game should sell many thousands of Vitas... it's a shame that it probably won't...
Seriously, I have 0 complaints about the game so far. Not sure what didn't click with other people, but it's perfectly aligned to my brain and I love it.

It's beautiful, it's fun, and it's unique. That's exactly what I want from a video game.

solarus

Come now.. this is a cool game but there are enough legitimate issues that have been spelled out in reviews to justify opinions, and I agree with many of them. Saying "you guys just don't like japanese games" as a retort to those concerns isn't really a great argument.
This. People get real touchy over japanese games, they shouldn't get any special treatment over their flaws. The game does not have to be perfect, accept criticism and move on.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Launch unit. Change the sound settings to Stereo tho, it's on Surround by the default and that is quiter (still loud enough for me, can't play at Max).

Man this game looks to be freakin' incredible, I wish I could play it.
I'll give that a shot then. The idea that you can't play at Max seems insane to me as it simply isn't that loud at all. I'd like to see some decibel readouts from your system. :p

there are some issues, but this is also their first game that they can really improve in sequels. as it stands now, if the game didn't sell well because review scores scared buyer away, there are chances that we'll never get a sequel.

reviewer often nitpick if some games didn't innovate, well then shouldn't they give some extra point when a game actually have something new and unique even if it's not perfect.

This. People get real touchy over japanese games, they shouldn't get any special treatment over their flaws. The game does not have to be perfect, accept criticism and move on.

I think it comes from how hard JP developed games have been hit by the gaming "journalists" this gen. It makes people who really love the culture/design of JP games a bit touchy as far too many good games get ignored this gen in favor of all the quick rehashes/sequels not to mention that there are some massive flaws (mostly technical) in western developed games that get over looked and excused that are much worse (looking at you Fallout and Skyrim)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
there are some issues, but this is also their first game that they can really improve in sequels. as it stands now, if the game didn't sell well because review scores scared buyer away, there are chances that we'll never get a sequel.

reviewer often nitpick if some games didn't innovate, well then shouldn't they give some extra point when a game actually have something new and unique even if it's not perfect.
The best example of this would be Assassin's Creed 1. It was generally well received but the game itself was highly unfinished and lacking in interesting content. It was stupidly repetitive and did very little with the interesting mechanics on hand. The game performed well enough to warrant a sequel, however, and the results were much better.

I'd say Gravity Daze is a good deal better than Assassin's Creed 1 ever was but it could definitely benefit from a sequel just as much. Hopefully they can justify another entry.

solarus

I think it comes from how hard JP developed games have been hit by the gaming "journalists" this gen. It makes people who really love the culture/design of JP games a bit touchy as far too many good games get ignored this gen in favor of all the quick rehashes/sequels not to mention that there are some massive flaws (mostly technical) in western developed games that get over looked and excused that are much worse (looking at you Fallout and Skyrim)
I definitely understand this and it can be pretty apparent in games journalism nowadays, but I just meant on neogaf in threads for japanese games in general. I always feel like you can never step into an ot (for any game not just japanese btw) in gaf of a game close to the launch window and express any valid criticism (for a well received game that is) without a lot of people lashing back, you only really get that in lttp threads.

oh and Kat is like the most lovable character in videogames since long time ago. for once, gravity shifting power aside, you got a totally normal teenage girl in games. she's not edgy, or angsty, she's actually cheerful, brave and eager to help people too. she's just so adorable it's hard to think someone not liking her.

I definitely understand this and it can be pretty apparent in games journalism nowadays, but I just meant on neogaf in threads for japanese games in general. I always feel like you can never step into an ot (for any game not just japanese btw) in gaf of a game close to the launch window and express any valid criticism (for a well received game that is) without a lot of people lashing back, you only really get that in lttp threads.

Know that feel. What I meant was I think thats why you feel that way about OT's for Japanese developed games. You get backlash for pointing out a flaw because the fanbase for these games feel like most JP games anymore get unfairly nitpicked. A few years ago everyone pointed out flaws in games and it was not a big deal because there was not as much (perceived?) animosity toward them. All the negative news/write ups about "the fall of the Japanese game industry" don't help either lol.

Still really enjoying this game, hopefully the new Vita firmware will alleviate my freezing issue. Can't wait to get home and play this again.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I'm in Episode 6 right now, and still loving it.

I've even gotten the hang of the Gravity Slide, which got me to thinking:

I kind of like that the slide is a little unwieldy. Kat isn't exactly in supreme control of her abilities (as noted by her awesome animation when activating her gravity powers and flailing around).

Having us use motion controls, which is kind of awkward, is almost like a reinforcement of Kat's own "helplessness"/lack of experience with her powers.

And, like Kat, who, I'm guessing, by the end of the game has gotten very familiar with her skills, us gamers, if we stick with the Gravity Slide and get used to it, will probably be pretty good with it by the end as well.

Anyway, this game is excellent, and definitely in my top spot as favorite Vita title so far next to Uncharted: Golden Abyss, and wipEout 2048.

I personally never felt that a console needed a single system seller, but a library of quality games that make people want to buy them. I own my fair share of Vita games already, and the best are still on the way. GR is a perfect year one title on this console.

It's like Folklore all over again for me in terms of it's charm, beautiful presentation, and engrossing, compelling world.

Man, a Folklore sequel on the Vita would be amazing...

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I'll give that a shot then. The idea that you can't play at Max seems insane to me as it simply isn't that loud at all. I'd like to see some decibel readouts from your system. :p

Ahah, I don't have the means to do that anymore, I should head down my former employer's offices (HT/HiFi mag) and look into that :D
Still, to give you an idea, it's much louder than a DS Lite at max. I can't compare it to Vita tho, but switching to Stereo will give ya a good boost.

Still

Well, it's swinging me over for sure. I'm just not going to buy consoles over one KA I want to play anymore, the only console maker that can make me be there on Day1 even with 0 games is Nintendo 'cause I know plenty of stuff I enjoy will be there sooner rather than later. The weak showings and low sales make me cautious of buying one at the moment, if I weren't a Nintendo fan it would be the same for Wii U, where I can look at P-100 like the cherry on top of a cake I already crave, or 3DS on launch which was much weaker supported than Vita.
Even my PS3 I waited a good deal of exclusives before buying into and I enjoy that platform a lot.
I'll wait and see, I'm just not sold on the idea of portable PS3 at all but if it keeps getting the kind of software like GR is then it's bound to happen!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I actually really liked that fight. =\

edit: OHHHHH that just reminded me why this game feels sort of familiar despite the NiGHTS comparison: Dissidia!

The game feels like End of Eternity/Resonance of Fate too actually (music for one, since it's by the same composer).

End of Dissidia NIGHTS of Eternity.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Will the UK PSN unlock this at midnight, or will we have to wait for whatever stupid time they decide to update the PSN?

matmanx1

Up to Episode 5 now and I love the art, the music, the main character and the gravity control. I'm starting to get the hang of gravity shifting now and as a power it's awfully cool to learn to use.

The game is as good as was advertised and I'm so glad that it's finally here. The wait from Feb to now felt like it took forever!

The game is as good as was advertised and I'm so glad that it's finally here. The wait from Feb to now felt like it took forever!

I seriously don't understand what took it so long to come out here - this would have been a fantastic title to have at launch. Were they so afraid of reverse importation that they were willing to compromise the international launch roster?

I seriously don't understand what took it so long to come out here - this would have been a fantastic title to have at launch. Were they so afraid of reverse importation that they were willing to compromise the international launch roster?

It was an artificial delay to ensure the Vita would not starve during the summer.

Kind of surprised they took that time and didn't really bother fixing some of the issues, like the load times or lack of a retry option.

Nakiro

80 something is fine for the game.

I don't understand Giant Bomb's 60 in the slightest.

Oh well.
They gave the lowest score to Uncharted: GA so I figure they want to keep their track record going as far as Vita games go.

I have a DLC code that contains some extra missions and a costume up for grabs. I'll give it to the first person who quotes this post.

Top Bottom