• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush |OT| C’est la Vita

After playing for a bit (on Chapter 10 now), my take so far:

Good:
Gravity:
This mechanic is super novel. I love just "falling" everywhere, and using the same mechanic to zip around makes those time-attack speed run missions fun most of the time.

The City:
I live wandering around, just walking to places just seeing what I can find. It's like a world in itself, with little nooks and crannies just waiting to be discovered, for the sake of discovering. Plus, with the gravity gimmick, there's practically no limit to where you can go. First thing I did in the game was take a walk on the underside of the place, running on buildings, walking sideways on pipes...it's just great.

Music:
Great work, so far. Really fits the game, from what I've heard. The different town tracks really set the mood for each place, from "homely village/city" to "industrial capital". I definitely have some new favorites here and there. I can imagine why I've never really heard Tanaka's past works game-wise, seeing as the majority is concentrated in Sakura Taisen :p

Characters/Plot:
I like the characters, and the plot is holding me so far, despite being sort of thin in places (I'm expecting a character revelation for Kat that "reveals her true past" and "changes everything" any time now.) The comic cutscenes are awesome, and gyro gimmicry is neat for manipulating this stuff.

Neutral:
Gyro:
Useful sometimes when doing aiming in midair, along with right analog, but I didn't find it to be super helpful, mostly because I'm holding it still (like on the actual train). Gravity sliding, though...

Bad:
Camera:
Primarily, I really needs a third degree of motion, in some form. While I generally have a sense of positioning when I am in the open, sometimes the camera just doesn't want to work with me. This pops up mostly when doing gravity work in tight places. Sometimes, it'll wig out on me when I'm trying to do precision attacks. Or using another minor example, it's iffy when doing things like going up/down stairs. Yes, I like to walk to places sometimes, like a normal person :p I shouldn't have to fight the camera just to walk down steps properly. Speaking of fighting...

Fighting:
Midair fighting is awkward and clunky. If you miss a kick, you go flying off in some direction, with your camera ending up in an awkward position. This really made me impatient during my fight with (Chapter 9-10 spoiler)
Alias
. The inaccuracy of that kick at times is just annoying.

The second thing, I guess, would be dodging. Maybe it's because I haven't mastered the dodge window just yet, but I find that it's real difficult to instinctively swipe and avoid something at the last second. Related to dodging is the handling of multiple enemies in a combat situation. Oftentimes, I "fall away" real far to see everything, because when you are busy kicking away at some tentacle thing on the ground, you have shots coming from all around you, with pretty much no indication of where or when they are coming. You have to rely on those last-minute swipes to get you out of harm's way, and it's just difficult to do so.

It's also annoying when you are up against someone who does a lot of those pellet shots (like the aforementioned (C9-10 spoils)
Alias
), and you have to take your mind off of attacking just to turn in a direction where you can see the shots coming, and dodge appropriately. The fighting in general needs some fine-tuning.

Gravity Slide:
I do not like this. Or rather, I don't like how it ends up going badly for me in the majority of times I try using it. Having slide paths suddenly end in dropoffs, breaking me out of my concentration of trying to keep in a straight line/going around deep curves by tilting awkwardly, that's not cool.

ryushe

Bad:
Camera:
Primarily, I really needs a third degree of motion, in some form. While I generally have a sense of positioning when I am in the open, sometimes the camera just doesn't want to work with me. This pops up mostly when doing gravity work in tight places. Sometimes, it'll wig out on me when I'm trying to do precision attacks. Or using another minor example, it's iffy when doing things like going up/down stairs. Yes, I like to walk to places sometimes, like a normal person :p I shouldn't have to fight the camera just to walk down steps properly. Speaking of fighting...
I actually thought the camera work in the game was phenomenal purely on the fact that it -- more or less -- constantly keeps up with you, no matter what your orientation is in the world.

I do get what you mean, though.

Cbajd5

I think I'm nearly done with the main story, and I have two things to say:

1. Sony, it should not be PS Button + Start for Screenshots. Or don't make the Start button skip scenes.

2. WHY DOES DELETING PICTURES ON THE VITA TAKE SO LONG? AND WHY HAVE I TAKEN OVER 300 SCREENSHOTS?

I'm just glad screenshots don't have the logo on them like the Demo did.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
WTF?

Wouldn't all OT's be filled with fans of a game?

That said, I also found the controls in the demo too sensitive. You can however adjust the sensitivity in the full game.

You could adjust the sensitivity in the demo too. Which I did.

Controls feel fine, and the gravity slide is getting easier. I make it a point to use it when I'm just traversing the city, so I can get more and more used to it.

I think I'm nearly done with the main story, and I have two things to say:

1. Sony, it should not be PS Button + Start for Screenshots. Or don't make the Start button skip scenes.

2. WHY DOES DELETING PICTURES ON THE VITA TAKE SO LONG? AND WHY HAVE I TAKEN OVER 300 SCREENSHOTS?

I'm just glad screenshots don't have the logo on them like the Demo did.

Yeah, it would be nice if, when it detects that you're taking screenshots that it prevents the game from seeing it. Or, take a page from Apple's book and use the power button and not the start button...

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Loving the game so far, not very far into it though but the controls feel good (not sure what IGN was talking about and don't get their harsh score but maybe I'll find out later). Easily the best game since launch where I enjoyed Uncharted, MvC and Escape Plan.

More games Sony! :)

I actually thought the camera work in the game was phenomenal purely on the fact that it -- more or less -- constantly keeps up with you, no matter what your orientation is in the world.

I do get what you mean, though.
I do like the majority of the camera effects, like the subtle perspective changes/dolly zoom/etc. when moving around. The sense of falling is well done in general.

Most times though, I end up going "ugh" when, say, I need to find an open piece of sky to fly towards while I'm trying to get my bearings. Then I'll sometimes run into a situation where I'll say "Which direction do I need to tilt the stick towards/move the system towards, relative to my position and rotation, to reach up", since I'll need to find "up" to rest on the ground/realign for another attack, when I've spent too much time in the air trying to land hits/chase someone/etc.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I do like the majority of the camera effects, like the subtle perspective changes/dolly zoom/etc. when moving around. The sense of falling is well done in general.

Most times though, I end up going "ugh" when, say, I need to find an open piece of sky to fly towards while I'm trying to get my bearings. Then I'll sometimes run into a situation where I'll say "Which direction do I need to tilt the stick towards/move the system towards, relative to my position and rotation, to reach up", since I'll need to find "up" to rest on the ground/realign for another attack, when I've spent too much time in the air trying to land hits/chase someone/etc.

So far, I haven't really had that problem. I'll press down on the digital pad, which re-orients the camera, and that usually helps me get my bearings (as well as paying attention to Kat's hair and "cape").

So far, I haven't really had that problem. I'll press down on the digital pad, which re-orients the camera, and that usually helps me get my bearings (as well as paying attention to Kat's hair and "cape").
Down, eh...I'll keep that in mind, thanks. Scarf and hair thing I don't use often, due to being in midair or on regular ground most of the time, heh.

I'm enjoying the game though, despite what I imply :).

Nakiro

After spending 2 hours with the game, controls have become a non-issue for me.

I really suggest tweaking the sensitivity down a bit,

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Down, eh...I'll keep that in mind, thanks. Scarf and hair thing I don't use often, due to being in midair or on regular ground most of the time, heh.

I'm enjoying the game though, despite what I imply :).

Yeah, it's a bit trickier to note her hair when you're in the sky, so that's when I use down on d-pad the most. It usually rights the camera.

The more I play, the more I'm getting used to that feeling of disorientation. I'm surprised that it doesn't make me nauseous, actually.

I can't really stop playing this, even when I want to...

I think I just finished chapter 4 and I am LOVING it! I knew I would, though. Gravity Sliding is just... so good. Gyro controls screw me up some of the time, but it just feels so great when you get it right.

Tiamant

Chapter 6 already, I'm trying to go slowly, make extra missions, collect crystals, talk to everyone and play some Diablo in between :p

Kat is not only the best character from any Playstation games to date, but one of the best I've seen in many years. There's nothing flamboyant about her, she reacts naturally and sometimes in a clumsy way which makes for a reaaaally likable character.

Also this is the first game that makes comic cutscenes right, and this is really something given how much Sony first party games like to do this.

Grisby

Between this, completing Resistance (eh ok) and picking up the Metal Gear HD collection it feels like the Vita is hitting a stride.

Ken

It's not hard. After he's finished doing his attack, his hands will be left open to attacks. Use short range gravity kicks, and the fight will end quickly and smoothly. There's a trick to everyfight.

If it's the fight I'm thinking of, there's a ton of things to pick up and throw too.

Speaking of good things, I really like that you have pretty much all the time in the world to try out and learn things, with you not being timed for pretty much any non-challenge activity (except probably for that one early boss). That, plus the fact that death has practically no penalty, removes a good amount of possible frustration, and makes me slightly more willing to overlook certain things.

For example, with the awkward combat, I can fall back at almost any time and, guage willing, reasess the position of everything, so that I can come back anew.

This game is amazing.

Has its flaws, yes, but overall it reminds me of a time when Japanese gaming was quite good...quirky artistic design, fantastic music direction, and unique gameplay.

Reminiscent of something from the Dreamcast era.

I think the lower review scores has something to do with a western-bias.

Oh, that one was kinda iffy, but I disliked the one after that a lot more.
Have fun~

I just finished this boss and... ;~; , this game is lovely but boss combat and certain technical stuff takes away from it. Still loving it to bits for the traversal, exploration, art and music though.

TripOpt55

oh and Kat is like the most lovable character in videogames since long time ago. for once, gravity shifting power aside, you got a totally normal teenage girl in games. she's not edgy, or angsty, she's actually cheerful, brave and eager to help people too. she's just so adorable it's hard to think someone not liking her.
I agree. She is great! So happy and such a fun character.

Top Bottom