• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush |OT| C’est la Vita

CSX

why have i not opened my copy yet?

Keep on reading this thread and not actually play the damn game -_-

Ken

Not so sure about that. The problems that reviewers are having are the same ones that plenty of gamers are having. And that's because they don't know how to approach the battles.

That's not my problem with the game. My problem is the lack of things to do besides the story quests and challenges and also the rather basic combat system that could be so much more.

Is the game difficult? Are there difficulty settings?

No and no. The hardest fights are associated with three trophies and are entirely optional.

What a whimsical game. The controls aren't the best (swipe to dodge. really?) but just the ability to do the gravity shift, the amazing style (visually and in the Soundtrack) and with Kat being such a loveable protagonist (in a genuinely good way instead of a sort of pandering way) The game is the type that puts a smile on your face. Flaws be damned.

ryushe

Everyone's complaining about how clumsy the combat is, and while I can see what those people mean, I honestly really like that Kat has that awkward (un)gracefulness about her when fighting. I'm mean, that's pretty much her character in a nutshell, so it'd be weird if she was actually proficient where combat was concerned. Feels a lot like inFAMOUS in that regard.

Also, I can't be the only person who thinks swiping the screen to evade is maybe one of the best uses on touch screen technology since its introduction to gaming.

Everyone's complaining about how clumsy the combat is, and while I can see what those people mean, I honestly really like that Kat has that awkward (un)gracefulness about her when fighting. I'm mean, that's pretty much her character in a nutshell, so it'd be weird if she was actually proficient where combat was concerned. Feels a lot like inFAMOUS in that regard.

Also, I can't be the only person who thinks swiping the screen to evade is maybe one of the best uses on touch screen technology since its introduction to gaming.

the reason why i don't like it is because it potentally obscures what i'm doing to perform said notion. any time where i have to take my thumb off the movement or camera to perform a rather important action is a big no no in my opinion at least.

Having it mapped on the backtouch would've worked just as well, and would still keep my thumbs on the sticks.

Haliela

Am I doing something wrong? These challenge missions seem impossible to get anything other than bronze. Hell even bronze on some of them is a stretch.

Ken

Am I doing something wrong? These challenge missions seem impossible to get anything other than bronze. Hell even bronze on some of them is a stretch.

You can wait until you level up some of your abilities before doing them.

For example, there are some of those challenges where your energy doesn't recharge unless you pick up items. You can level up an ability that reduces energy consumption and at max, you can do the entire challenge without ever picking up an energy drop.

jgmo870

Banned
That's not my problem with the game. My problem is the lack of things to do besides the story quests and challenges and also the rather basic combat system that could be so much more.

Well, there are a couple more things to do than story quests and challenges (finding the travelers and defeating the green Nevi) but, yeah, I have the same issues. But my point was most people are fixated on something that's not an issue with the game but rather with themselves.

If they're races, practice makes perfect. The super playthroughs done by the devs should give you some idea of how to approach certain races. If they're combat challenges, I suggest waiting until your powers are properly leveled up.

I usually level the ability required and have no problem getting the gold. You just need to save up a little.

Ken

Well, there are a couple more things to do than story quests and challenges (finding the travelers and defeating the green Nevi) but, yeah, I have the same issues. But my point was most people are fixated on something that's not an issue with the game but rather with themselves.

That's not much though, and there are only so many green Nevi to defeat.

Surfheart

Fuck I love this game! but I don't want it to end :(

How many chapters are there? People that have finished, how many hours did you get out of it?

Koroviev

It bothers me for the ridiculous reason that I hate swiping touch screens sans microfiber cloth. I know, I'm weird :x

12 to platinum.

Does the platinum entail finding all of the gems? Might have already asked you that, sorry.

Ken

Does the platinum entail finding all of the gems? Might have already asked you that, sorry.

Spoilered to not crush dreams. :<
No. I ended up with more gems than I needed to unlock all the challenges and level up all the abilities.

Elios83

I've been playing this almost non stop, now I'm in the final part of the city (simply gorgeous) and it has been really addicting so far, especially the exploration.
The gravity system works perfectly with the open world exploration.
Unfortunately the same can't be said for combats. It's still good enough to me, but basically all the combats rely on hitting the weak point with the gravity kick or with a special attack, if you fail, it could prove to be frustrating because of camera and repositioning issues during more advanced fights.
Imo they should have put in some kind of assisted lock-on mode (not completely automatic) and compensate for that with more active/aggressive enemies.
Notwithstanding its flaws this is still the best Vita game after Uncharted for me.

Koroviev

No. I ended up with more gems than I needed to unlock all the challenges and level up all the abilities.

You know, it actually hadn't occurred to me that the gems were valuable. I was just excited at the prospect of having shiny objects to collect (._.)

jgmo870

Banned
Unfortunately the same can't be said for combats. It's still good enough to me, but basically all the combats rely on hitting the weak point with the gravity kick or with a special attack, if you fail, it could prove to be frustrating because of camera and repositioning issues during more advanced fights.
Imo they should have put in some kind of assisted lock-on mode (not completely automatic) and compensate for that with more active/aggressive enemies.
Notwithstanding its flaws this is still the best Vita game after Uncharted for me.

I'm halfway through my second playthrough, and I've barely used the gravity kick, and only used the special during one boss fight. And there's a pseudo lock-on. You'll notice it more easily if you use the first person POV.

Bukana

This game is just amazing, never felt this 'charm' from a game in a long time.
I don't want this game to end, we need more DLCs and the sequel.

Kat can really take a bounce eh.

having fun with this despite it not really being my thing.
It can get a bit clunky at times but overall this is what the Vita needs more of

Enron

Banned
Kohei Tanaka is flipping amazing. This game's music sounds a bit like RoF but with zhe french tweest!

Yes. Kohei Tanaka is by far and away my favorite game/anime composer. His scores for the Gundam 08th MS Team and Gao Gai Gar are fucking epic.

I <3 Kat

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Kohei Tanaka is flipping amazing. This game's music sounds a bit like RoF but with zhe french tweest!
Definitely was coming into this thread to say this. <3 Tanaka's work.

I played earlier up to Chapter 2, got really nauseous, and had to take a nap. :/ Probably should buy some Gravol before moving on. Not sure how I feel about the slide controls. Feel weird.

Tiamant

Chapter 8
boss

Raven in Hell city. Holy crap, that was a amazing boss fight! I really like when you fight an enemy with the same powers as you, reminded me a bit of Jehuty vs Anubis from ZOE2, soooo good!

Anyone else felt a little sad a few chapters before when
Newt went with Echo? I expected a bit more from his relationship with Kat. Hell, even the crystals were shaped as hearts, give the poor girl some gratittude! :(

I'll buy all DLC, thrice.

*finishes Chap. 9*

Take that Alias! Now....those two mysterious people >_>

And I totally rocking the schoolgirl outfit for now at least

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Kohei Tonaka is my favorite game composer nowadays (even if he doesn't compose a whole lot of them). My favorite works of his are from Resonance of Fate and Alundra.

Eusis

I get major Gunbuster vibes during action sequences.
Same, though I never did get far into Resonance of Fate.
Yes. Kohei Tanaka is by far and away my favorite game/anime composer. His scores for the Gundam 08th MS Team and Gao Gai Gar are fucking epic.

I <3 Kat
I think he's definitely my favorite now for more orchestral or symphonic-sounding music.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Story related question and big spoiler:

Anyone have an idea who Alias is? Kat had a dream about him and the splitting Dusty but it was never really explained.

Story related question and big spoiler:

Anyone have an idea who Alias is? Kat had a dream about him and the splitting Dusty but it was never really explained.

I'm thinking they still want to use Alias if they go through with a sequel, so it's kept pretty vague. He clearly seems to know who she is and his appearance in her dreams/head seemed more like he was actually there. If I remember correctly, they also never explain his ability to control the Nevi either, so I would count on seeing him again in a sequel.

Not sure if this is relevant, but his original design had him looking like Anubis.

This game is amazing.

Has its flaws, yes, but overall it reminds me of a time when Japanese gaming was quite good...quirky artistic design, fantastic music direction, and unique gameplay.

Reminiscent of something from the Dreamcast era.

I think the lower review scores has something to do with a western-bias.

Is it worth buying a Vita for?

Top Bottom