• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush |OT| C’est la Vita

Aeana

I just got to a story part that requires sliding and shut the game off. :\
I wish I could enjoy it like some of you seem to be.

I am not far in the game but I am loving the music and world of the game. Kat is an awesome character as well, very likable. Sony needs to capitalize on this universe and character.

I hated the sliding at first, but I got used to it. The combat is so bad, though. I just got to an area with a lot of enemies, and it's really putting a damper on my enthusiasm.

If you lift one finger of the screen it slows Kat down, almost to a complete stop. Then you can use the system to turn and then place the finger back on to go. Maybe that will help? The very first energy race challenge is great practice, and if you get good at that race there's a reward with crystals.

Edit: Also a note to everyone, don't forget to upgrade your skills. That will make combat, traversal, challenges all easier.

Cbajd5

I don't think any of the main missions require sliding, even if they suggest it. I've barely used it so far.

I'm having a ton of fun so far. Enjoying it all, although I'm mostly doing FLYING KICK moves for combat.

Was it
the part when you were lighting up flowers to look for the missing city piece?

If so, just ignore the prompt to do it. Doesn't really help.

I'm in the first rift, where you follow flowers. Went to the bottom of the big tower, and found a super charged enemy, haven't beat him yet though, seems I have to master dodging to kill the bastard.

He has a shotgun ranged attack that homes, and his melee takes away 60% of my health D:

Ken

I'm in the first rift, where you follow flowers. Went to the bottom of the big tower, and found a super charged enemy, haven't beat him yet though, seems I have to master dodging to kill the bastard.

He has a shotgun ranged attack that homes, and his melee takes away 60% of my health D:

There's a trophy for beating him. I didn't bother with it until after I maxed out all my stats.

haadim

Too busy playing.

First time float-kicking and tumbling thru the sky in any direction is exhilarating!

I feel giddy even.

Simple as pie. Just
tap r to fly towards him, he's punch and miss. Then just give him a couple of gravity kicks and fly back to the pipe. Rinse and repeat. Btw, you can use the left stick to make minute adjustments while flying or gravity kicking. It actually helps you to avoid hits and projectiles, sometimes.

Simple as pie. Just
tap r to fly towards him, he's punch and miss. Then just give him a couple of gravity kicks and fly back to the pipe. Rinse and repeat. Btw, you can use the left stick to make minute adjustments while flying or gravity kicking. It actually helps you to avoid hits and projectiles, sometimes.

I tried a few gravity kicks, but his projectiles always knocked me out of it.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I'm loving this game, but the fact that you can't restar mid challenge is really starting to piss me off. Especially for the grav slides.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I tried a few gravity kicks, but his projectiles always knocked me out of it.
Also don't listen to that guy. Gravity kicks are worthless vs him due to the projectiles. Just fly in there, evade the first batch of projectiles and land. Then just evade his punch and kick him to all hell. It's going to take a little bit due to a massive health pool and just keep timing the dodge to evade the punch. He won't use projectiles while you're on the ground so that saves you. Also, depending on how much health you have, one punch does over 50% of your lifebar, so just keep your health up. Good luck.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Unless you're doing all the sidequests, you won't be using the Gravity Slide at all. I hate the Gravity Slide.

I'm kinda annoyed that
a lot of things are still left hanging in the story.

Setre

So I’ve done my part in support Gravity Rush, I bought one physical copy and one digital. As far as the game goes I’ve only played up until Kat finishes decorating her room. Really enjoying the game and having a blast flying around the city.

The most fun I’ve had was when I was trying to get some gems outside of the sewer and ended up running out of gravity juice. I managed to land on a nook under the city and flew off towards what I thought was actual ground. Ended up running out of meter again looking for a place to land and started free falling back down towards the abyss. My meter thankfully recharged mid-fall and I began heading back up. Glad I found out about the meter refilling when free falling, plan to see how high I can go before it warps me back down.

As far as upgrades go I’ve only extended my gravity time by two. What should I be focusing on?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Some of the negative reviews for this game are just..... Strange to me. Giant Bomb said this game "does one thing right". Seriously? Did you not experience the game I'm experiencing? How about the world, story, and characters that have more wonder and charm then any game I've played this year outside of Kid Icarus? Even some of the combat complaints rub me the wrong way. Most of the reviews read like they played the game without thinking, and got frustrated at the lack of lock-ons and tough controls to even give it a chance. Don't get me wrong, I understand how this game couldn't be your cup of tea, but some of the complaints just don't register with me.

Also, I kind of like the gravity sliding. Once you get use to the controls (two fingers to start and tilt to "drive", flick vita to jump, and lift one finger off to drift a certain direction). It's crazy fast and hard to control, but once you get it right, it feels extremely good.

P.S. Kat is amazing.

graywolf323

Did the press just get this one wrong?

really seems so, the negative reviews I've read seem to hyper focus on the combat and make it out to be worse than it is

Some of the negative reviews for this game are just..... Strange to me. Giant Bomb said this game "does one thing right". Seriously? Did you not experience the game I'm experiencing? How about the world, story, and characters that have more wonder and charm then any game I've played this year outside of Kid Icarus? Even some of the combat complaints rub me the wrong way. Most of the reviews read like they played the game without thinking, and got frustrated at the lack of lock-ons and tough controls to even give it a chance. Don't get me wrong, I understand how this game couldn't be your cup of tea, but some of the complaints just don't register with me.

Also, I kind of like the gravity sliding. Once you get use to the controls (two fingers to start and tilt to "drive", flick vita to jump, and lift one finger off to drift a certain direction). It's crazy fast and hard to control, but once you get it right, it feels extremely good.

P.S. Kat is amazing.

he nails it better

jgmo870

Banned

I hear ya. This is something else that irked me:

"As charming as the game's heroine is none of the other characters, with the possible exception of her surly counterpart Raven, are as interesting..."

http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/902030-gravity-rush-review-falling-in-love#ixzz1xkGPmiQR

I know it's all subjective and everything but... seriously?
I find Gade, Alias, Cyanea, the fortune teller and Pandora much more interesting than Kat and Raven combined.

Eusis

It's baffling how they give COD games 4 stars and this amazing new IP 3 stars, lol.
Gravity sliding drove them mad maybe.

Actually, more seriously I can see controls being a reason to do that, I feel if it controlled a bit better (maybe controlling your flying/falling?) the reception would be more positive, as that's pretty much the game's only serious fault thus far.

Takao

Banned
really seems so, the negative reviews I've read seem to hyper focus on the combat and make it out to be worse than it is

Can't wait for western Tokyo Jungle reviews:

"The graphics are horrible, and the combat is the equivalent of a bargin bin game on PS1" - 2/10

Mr.Fresh

P.S. Kat is amazing.

This I feel like they played the demo and felt that was all they needed to play.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Official reviews tend to be very inconsistent. There are a good number of instances when they give it a middling score but people who actually played it love the game and there are games that have high scores but are hated or trashed by the gamers (GTAIV I believe).

I don't rely on official reviews much, I read the reviews of gamers who played and explored the game.

jgmo870

Banned
Gravity sliding drove them mad maybe.

Actually, more seriously I can see controls being a reason to do that, I feel if it controlled a bit better (maybe controlling your flying/falling?) the reception would be more positive, as that's pretty much the game's only serious fault thus far.

You do have some control over your falling. You can move the left stick while Kat's falling to move her but she'll do so slowly.

Reclaimer

I feel spoiled playing this on a handheld.

New IP + quirky world + nice unique visuals + good music + likeable characters + interesting movement + OLED handheld = amazeballs. We are fucking spoiled.

This better help give the Vita a shot in the arm, and hopefully we get a sequal.

Also... I need an awesome Kat statue/action figure ASAP.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I hear ya. This is something else that irked me:

"As charming as the game's heroine is none of the other characters, with the possible exception of her surly counterpart Raven, are as interesting..."

http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/902030-gravity-rush-review-falling-in-love#ixzz1xkGPmiQR

I know it's all subjective and everything but... seriously?
I find Gade, Alias, Cyanea, the fortune teller and Pandora much more interesting than Kat and Raven combined.

Yeah, that is just.... I could see someone not liking the characters, but they aren't even interesting? And personally, Raven is the most uninteresting character so far (at Ch. 8 currently) IMO.

Takao

Banned
I feel spoiled playing this on a handheld.

New IP + quirky world + nice unique visuals + good music + likeable characters + interesting movement + OLED handheld = amazeballs. We are fucking spoiled.

This better help give the Vita a shot in the arm, and hopefully we get a sequal.

Also... I need an awesome Kat statue/action figure ASAP.

I really do think these big outlets giving the game middling scores will hurt it, which is a shame because this is an example of a game the media should be pushing.

graywolf323

I really do think these big outlets giving the game middling scores will hurt it, which is a shame because this is an example of a game the media should be pushing.

you have to wonder if part of the reason is because it's on the Vita, if the game was on PS3 would they be scoring it higher?

I don't recall Giant Bomb having ever been handheld fans

Teknoman

I'll say it again: This is this generation's Nights (Journey was a nice runner up, but much more replay value and "free flying" here).

jgmo870

Banned
you have to wonder if part of the reason is because it's on the Vita, if the game was on PS3 would they be scoring it higher?

I don't recall Giant Bomb having ever been handheld fans

Maybe. But a non-interactive world, lower budget $60 game with low reply would be a tough sell to reviewers, I think. Though, if it was on the 3DS, I feel like it would have fared much better with certain sites.

Endestria Energy Race II or: what the fuck am I looking at

I don't get motion sick playing games. At least I didn't.

also, how do you revisit those areas you access through
the old man's belly.

Reclaimer

The big media outlets have disappointed me on this one, but why am I surprised. It's not the best game ever, but the whole is much more than the sum of its parts. I'm guessing that some of these places simply dissected the parts, without letting the whole sink in.
Or they weren't wined and dined and pandered to enough by the publisher/devs, which unfortunately does happen.

Cheska

It's baffling how they give COD games 4 stars and this amazing new IP 3 stars, lol.

I've come to accept that I'm not in a position (nor is anyone for that matter) to tell someone they are wrong for feeling that way about a certain game. Do I think certain reviewers are crazy for some of their scores? Sure. Am I sad that many people will overlook this game because of those scores? Absolutely.

If someone likes to think that the same formula is worth the same grade every year, then that's cool for them. Personally I am enjoying the hell out of this game and I'm ultimately glad for such a refreshing change of pace.

I do feel we are in some danger of white-washing the issues this game does have, though.

Some of the decisions made...aren't good.

The problem we're seeing here is that the game does have significant problems, but for some of us it's strengths far outweigh them. To others, it's obvious that they don't. The review scale certainly bears this out as well.

I do feel we are in some danger of white-washing the issues this game does have, though.

Some of the decisions made...aren't good.

To be honest, outside of the long load times for instanced areas/challenges, I didn't have too many other problems. The controls never gave me a problem and while gravity sliding was tough at first, by halfway through the game I was making crazy turns and maneuvering through the streets.

I could have gone for more side stuff, but that's about it for me.

I do of course acknowledge that this isn't the case for everyone, but I can only speak of my own experiences with the game.

hitmon

it would be better if they allow you to choose though.

I agree with you there. Choice is always better, but if its one or the other I'd take the battery life.

Anyone know what language is spoken in the game? I'm only 4 episodes in or so.

Top Bottom