• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush |OT| C’est la Vita

Orcastar

Oh wow, the game is actually cheaper on PSN than in stores and you get some free DLC to boot. Is Sony finally learning?

Good thing I can still cancel my preorder.

jgmo870

Banned
Random thought: If you are having problems with the combat/battles, I think you should test out the first person point of view. Aerial combat was much easier for me because of it. You get to see the pseudo lock-on and, overall, get a clearer picture of the Nevis. The only downside is the limitations of the viewpoint.

Nakiro

I jumped in for 10min, 2 hour later I had to force myself to put it down.

I just have one tip as far as camera/controls go for people that might have some trouble. Lower the sensitivity, I think it helps a little bit.

george_us

The big media outlets have disappointed me on this one, but why am I surprised. It's not the best game ever, but the whole is much more than the sum of its parts. I'm guessing that some of these places simply dissected the parts, without letting the whole sink in.
Or they weren't wined and dined and pandered to enough by the publisher/devs, which unfortunately does happen.
I'm up to Episode 9 and I'd probably give this a 7 or an 8 personally. My main complaint is that the mission design just isn't all that interesting. I have these cool gravity powers yet I'm generally reduced to talking to people or stupid fetch quests. By far the best missions have been
when I've recovered parts of the town
but those are obviously far, few, and inbetween. The gravity and combat controls themselves aren't really as smooth as they could be. On the plus side, Kat herself is a really cool character, the art style is amazing, and I love the soundtrack. It's a good game to be sure but I can definitely see why some outlets felt the way they did.

Thoraxes

You know how I like to play GR?

In my swivel chair for maximum accelerometer precision.

It's kinda fun that way for some reason.

Pietepiet

Played about 4 chapters now, so good! I really love just exploring the town and seeing what places I can get to with the gravity switching. Stuff like landing on a flying car and riding with it for a while, or just getting to the highest point in town and looking around is so fun :)

Definitely up there with games like Jet Set Radio Future in terms of how fun the exploration and movement is.

branny

I just got done with Ep. 9. Best fledgling superhero sim ever. :D

GR is really making me notice how soulless other games like Prototype, inFAMOUS, Crackdown, etc. are in comparison. I had fun with those, but this is on another level, flaws be damned.

I think Teknoman's NiGHTS comparison is perfect. It's not just the freedom and feeling of flying but also the whimsy and wonder (and psycho crusher-ing).

TripOpt55

Loving this so far. There are some little things I don't like and some missions that were a miss, but overall I think it is fantastic. The music is amazing. Kat is so much fun. The little thoughts in her head she has during conversations crack me up. And falling around is just awesome. Played through the first 9 chapters so far. 8 was probably my favorite.

Finished Episode 7.

The game is great so far, but I have turned off the gyroscope due to aerial combat/movement, which is a mess for me.

That's the only catch I can find for the moment. Story clean and simple, adorable characters, a funny and cute main char, stunning visuals, perfect soundtrack and addictive gameplay.

The true must have on Vita.

I've played for only a bit- just encountered my first enemies. So far I like it, but I'm not OH MY GOD!

Anxious to play more- seems cool!

Twinduct

Really enjoying it. Only finished getting the bed now.
But been fucking around with the gravity mechanic for like an hour now.
Have not really noticed any pop-ins. I'm sally quite sensitive to those, and read somewhere that there is some terrible LODs, but have yet to see them ... which is awesome for me.

Although Its not like I've travelled that much.

So I just started playing this game last night and it froze on me anyone else having an issue? I downloaded the military pack prior to starting the game but I doubt this has anything to do with it.

The problem we're seeing here is that the game does have significant problems, but for some of us it's strengths far outweigh them. To others, it's obvious that they don't. The review scale certainly bears this out as well.

An easy rebuttal though is that plenty of established ip's see releases with the same result, yet their strengths are given too much credit and flaws too easily forgiven.

This game innovates so much, makes great use of vita features, and oozes too much style to get beaten up the way it is.

Also bold statement, but sugiyama- eat your heart out. This soundtrack is blowing my mind.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Finally got to play about 2 hours of it last night. Amazing game. I'm currently on the bus to work right now playing more. What's even more awesome; this guy gets on the bus, sits down across from me and whips out his Vita. What is he playing? Gravity Rush.

I showed him my Vita, and we chatted a bit about fun the game is, then went back to playing. I'm glaf at leadt one other person in the non GAF world has picked this up and is enjoying it.

What near functionality does this have? I work in downtown Houston and according to near there are shit tons of people with vitas here. I usually get modnation and fighting game gifts though.

Need to bring it tomorrow and have my lunch break near some free WiFi.

Ken

What near functionality does this have? I work in downtown Houston and according to near there are shit tons of people with vitas here. I usually get modnation and fighting game gifts though.

Need to bring it tomorrow and have my lunch break near some free WiFi.

None that I'm aware of. But then again I had an import copy so I had 0 GR hits around here at the time.

I think a lot of people were really excited for this game because of it's art style, music, and gameplay mechanics, but a lot of those people all seem to have similar gripes - camera, combat, etc.

Personally, after taking a tip from a fellow gaffer's post (on this thread I think) I tuned down the camera sensitivity and I absolutely love it now. I play with both sticks and the gyro. Honestly, it's one of the few games that I actually enjoy using the various other control methods, combined with traditional gameplay.

It's easily a contender for my GOTY, if not being high up there. I just adore the style, music, characters, and story. It's just a shame that a game like this is getting slammed for a camera that can easily be tweaked, while games like Skyrim (despite my love for it) that was ridden with bugs and performance issues, some even game breaking, and it was still getting high scores across the board.

I love your avatar. What is it from?

spats

I adore this game. I can understand some of the complaints posted here but none of them have bothered me enough to sour me on it. My favourite open-world game since, well, maybe ever.

I think a lot of people were really excited for this game because of it's art style, music, and gameplay mechanics, but a lot of those people all seem to have similar gripes - camera, combat, etc.

Personally, after taking a tip from a fellow gaffer's post (on this thread I think) I tuned down the camera sensitivity and I absolutely love it now. I play with both sticks and the gyro. Honestly, it's one of the few games that I actually enjoy using the various other control methods, combined with traditional gameplay.

It's easily a contender for my GOTY, if not being high up there. I just adore the style, music, characters, and story. It's just a shame that a game like this is getting slammed for a camera that can easily be tweaked, while games like Skyrim (despite my love for it) that was ridden with bugs and performance issues, some even game breaking, and it was still getting high scores across the board.

If it was a Western developed game with a more gritty art style and Kat was a dude and the combat was more traditional then I expect it would have been rated better.

I sincerely think reviewers and Western media in general are still down on Japanese software as a whole. Whether that's because we've seen more Western software prevalence this generation on home consoles moreso than ever before, and Japanese software has shifted further to handhelds - or because peoples tastes are just shifting further away from one another, I don't know
It does feel like Western media is somewhat putting Japanese software in a box this generation and it's instantly considered worse because it's doing something a bit different, or 'too Japanese' to be taken seriously

AwRy108

I'm I the only one wondering why this game turns off the Vita's network features? Seems like a growing pain that should be a thing of the past at this point--even Uncharted GA patched out the issue.

Loving the game so far. The only thing I hate are the load times, they're kind of atrocious. Does anyone else get a bit of a Moebius vibe from the art style? It's really nice.

Tiamant

Episode 3, I love this game and it's been barely an hour.

Finally a female lead that's not oversexualized or just plain stupid. Her expressions, sounds, animations, everything makes her a lovely character since the first minute.

This is what Vita needs and I really hope we get to see the sales success this vision of handheld gaming deserves.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Does holding X while gravity kicking increase the damage?

The further you are when you perform a gravity kick, the higher the damage I think.

megalowho

If it was a Western developed game with a more gritty art style and Kat was a dude and the combat was more traditional then I expect it would have been rated better.

I sincerely think reviewers and Western media in general are still down on Japanese software as a whole. Whether that's because we've seen more Western software prevalence this generation on home consoles moreso than ever before, and Japanese software has shifted further to handhelds - or because peoples tastes are just shifting further away from one another, I don't know
It does feel like Western media is somewhat putting Japanese software in a box this generation and it's instantly considered worse because it's doing something a bit different, or 'too Japanese' to be taken seriously
Come now.. this is a cool game but there are enough legitimate issues that have been spelled out in reviews to justify opinions, and I agree with many of them. Saying "you guys just don't like japanese games" as a retort to those concerns isn't really a great argument.

AwRy108

it's exactly the reason. I seem to remember Yoshida confirming it was the reason on twitter.

Wow, that's an incredibly stupid reason--it's not like this specific game causes the Vita to talk to the network more frequently than, say, Uncharted GA.

Carl

Wow, that's an incredibly stupid reason--it's not like this specific game causes the Vita to talk to the network more frequently than, say, Uncharted GA.

It's the only reason any game turns off network functions. Devs have a certain allowance of power usage (or something).

Loving the game so far. Strange question, but does anyone know where I can get some Gravity Rush desktop wallpaper?

I was google image searching before and found some gorgeous ones. There was a GIANT one of Kat in her house, in the sewers. I love it, currently have it as my desktop.

Top Bottom