• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush |OT| C’est la Vita

woo got around to start playing a bit during lunch break.

Is it just me or are these early challenge stages quite tough? I can't seem to do get more than silver on the first one (kill monsters until time runs out). And that bridge time attack race is hard stuff.

And god the loading between challenge/retry/etc. fuuuu

kuroshiki

Is it just me or are these early challenge stages quite tough? I can't seem to do get more than silver on the first one (kill monsters until time runs out). And that bridge time attack race is hard stuff.

challenges are quite tough. The only gold I got was from gravity slide racing.

I think the trials (especially for the gold award) are balanced for late- to end-game abilities, so don't expect to get that gold even in the first area without upgrading a lot of your skills.

Tiduz

Eurogaime

i think you can retry challenges forever so im going back there with a super upgraded kat later.

ahhh. it's weird you get access to these challenges so early when you barely get the controls :3

Will go do more single player stuff. Still not sure if the game looks really good or really bad. :/

So much jaggies, and framerate goes to the shitter when you slam into the ground.

spats

There are a lot of Kojima-isms throughout the game. Like the fourth wall-breaking touch screen grope if you tap Kat during gameplay, and zooming in and panning the camera really up close when Kat is lying in her bed. I feel they're somehow telling of the long development cycle of the game. Also the
part where you fly over the school with the guy looking for Echo and the gems are aligned into heart patterns DAWWWW

Still haven't beaten it, intentionally taking it really slow and enjoying everything as much as I can.

I just finished Gravity Rush today, and it really feels like the first act of a longer game. Plot threads that seem like they'll became the major focus of the game suddenly just end, and new, less interesting ones pop up to replace them. As a result, it seems like nothing gets resolved and the ending is completely unsatisfying. That pretty much applies to the entire game, though. You get these super cool gravity powers, but you use them to do the most mundane stuff; doubly so if you do all of the side missions. You're pretty much just a flying delivery person who gets into lots of fights. I had more fun collecting purple gems than actually doing the story missions, so that's probably not good because that wasn't exactly thrilling either. I really wanted to like the game because it's so unique and cool, but it feels so half-baked that I can't help but feel disappointed.

evolution

This game reminds me of the strong Japanese development of the ps2 years. Im enjoying it, and I hope there's a sequel to address some of the problems the games has. I think the majority are fixable.

spats

This game reminds me of the strong Japanese development of the ps2 years. Im enjoying it, and I hope there's a sequel to address some of the problems the games has. I think the majority are fixable.

Yeah, it really does feel like they managed to climb some major tech hurdles, especially when looking at the awesome animation system and inverse kinematics they're using.

ahhh. it's weird you get access to these challenges so early when you barely get the controls :3

Will go do more single player stuff. Still not sure if the game looks really good or really bad. :/

So much jaggies, and framerate goes to the shitter when you slam into the ground.

The game looks really damn good. I'm barely noticing the jaggies and the framerate hasn't bothered me in the least.

Tiamant

I hope I'm not the only one spending lots of time playing with the comic sequences and screenshooting them to death.

I don't want this to end, goddammit!

eznark

Banned
I just finished the
boss battle (I guess?) with Echo

Man, I'm just not getting into this game like I had hoped I would...

I just finished the
boss battle (I guess?) with Echo

Man, I'm just not getting into this game like I had hoped I would...

I thought that particular battle was a bit janky. It required precision controls and I don't think the game has them.

Still, loving the experience so far.

Mzo

I didn't notice anything weird or special about that fight. Just business as usual.

The sliding is kind of annoying, really easy to get caught up on stuff, but that's about it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yes. Kohei Tanaka is by far and away my favorite game/anime composer. His scores for the Gundam 08th MS Team and Gao Gai Gar are fucking epic.
Yeah, the music here is really good.

When the first battle began it immediately made me consider how far off base Nintendo has been with some of their series. Not everything needs to sound "epic", of course, but if you're going to bring in a specific song to use for battle at least create something that really drives the battle.

I mean, with Gravity Daze, you enter a battle for the first time and you're met with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNkCb_B5Ls0

With any of the modern 3D Zelda games (since Ocarina) you end up with something like this instead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_UfpEE2hWA or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46l1n7udj80

Those songs play whenever you approach any enemy and completely disrupt the atmosphere. As the songs spool up they sound a bit better, but you generally hear just the first 15-20 seconds every single battle and it's awful.

Selecting the right music for the right moment makes such a difference to me.

Just completed Episode 3

Good lawd this game is charming

The music is almost like a film OST with how well it blends in with what's happening

The overall presentation is stunning as well, even down to the menus. I love the comic style cutscenes and how you can rotate the Vita to give it that 3D effect

From the opening to where you tap the apple right through until where I am now it's consistently been amazing presentation, not to mention it's somewhat of a technical marvel

Kat <3

If it was a Western developed game with a more gritty art style and Kat was a dude and the combat was more traditional then I expect it would have been rated better.

I sincerely think reviewers and Western media in general are still down on Japanese software as a whole. Whether that's because we've seen more Western software prevalence this generation on home consoles moreso than ever before, and Japanese software has shifted further to handhelds - or because peoples tastes are just shifting further away from one another, I don't know

It does feel like Western media is somewhat putting Japanese software in a box this generation and it's instantly considered worse because it's doing something a bit different, or 'too Japanese' to be taken seriously

I completely forgot I made a point about that, this was lost in the mass of replies I guess. I whole-heartedly agree. A lot of the reviewers that I like to follow usually crack jokes at Japanese games, refusing to even give them the light of day. A lot of them are fans of older JRPGs and such, which is what confuses me even more. I guess as we grow, our tastes really do change.

A lot of my friends are the same way, all of them are just into gritty, bald dude protagonist machismo first person camera machines with guns and bullets.

Still, it doesn't mean you don't give a game a chance, especially when it gets a lot of praise. Gravity Rush is open world and it is all about a female protagonist, but it's also a ton of fun. One of the main gripes the reviewers I follow have is the camera and the lack of a lock on feature. Really?

Do you actually WANT the game to hold your hand that much? I think the combat and aiming works just fine, and personally, I hate lock ons, it usually destroys the combat for me. Prototype is a perfect example - loved the game, hated how goofy the lock on made the combat. Sorry for the long post, I just find it frustrating that people just want games to do the work for them these days.

Amir0x

Banned
so you guys recommend this? It seems like everyone is really positive, and it would be nice to finally have a Vita game that I could unreservedly love (outside of Lumines and Wipeout)...

dark10x

so you guys recommend this? It seems like everyone is really positive, and it would be nice to finally have a Vita game that I could unreservedly love (outside of Lumines and Wipeout)...
Well, I'm finding it a bit aimless myself but the game is so charming and the presentation so nice that it's easy to get wrapped up in the world. It's definitely a sandbox game (a genre I've grown to dislike) yet I'm still enjoying it so that says something, I suppose.

spats

Absolutely. It's a really meaty game well worth the asking price.

Amir0x

Banned
Well, I'm finding it a bit aimless myself but the game is so charming and the presentation so nice that it's easy to get wrapped up in the world. It's definitely a sandbox game (a genre I've grown to dislike) yet I'm still enjoying it so that says something, I suppose.

dark10x, thanks for the comment. But I struck you off my list of neoGAF posters I can take advice from after your horrible Enslaved recommendation misleadingly comparing it to Beyond Good & Evil. nothing against you, dark10x, I just have to maintain a standard here! ;)

That said, I think I am going to get this. I'm reading through comments of people I have listened to in the past with success, and it seems really positive.

Absolutely. It's a really meaty game well worth the asking price.

Alright. I'll pick it up tonight. I read more of the topic and I'm convinced there's something here.

Skilletor

I didn't realize I had the gravity slide already, lol.

It's really difficult to control, though. Do you control with gyroscope? If so, doesn't seem as responsive as during gravity shifts.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Arrived earlier, guess Asda are pretty good with delivery, was some courier instead of Royal Mail, lol.

If I wasn't up to my knees on drugs after getting my 4 wisdom teeth ripped out and sleeping through most of this week I would be playing this already. I'll get my gf slave to bring it up to me with dinner.

spats

dark10x, thanks for the comment. But I struck you off my list of neoGAF posters I can take advice from after your horrible Enslaved recommendation misleadingly comparing it to Beyond Good & Evil. nothing against you, dark10x, I just have to maintain a standard here! ;)

That said, I think I am going to get this. I'm reading through comments of people I have listened to in the past with success, and it seems really positive.

Alright. I'll pick it up tonight. I read more of the topic and I'm convinced there's something here.

Don't go in expecting a mechanically flawless game though. The game builds fantastically on the gravity shifting, and after a while of playing, you start to look at the whole gameworld in a completely different way, but there are some secondary skills besides the gravity shifting, which can be pretty frustrating. The gravity slide is a fine idea, but feels like a bit of an afterthought. I wish they would've pulled the camera back a few meters when you started sliding around. It's really hard to react quick enough using the gyro as it is now.

What you can look forward to though is a charming story with wonderful characters, BEAUTIFUL 2D art, breathtaking music and a truly unique world. They're really not afraid to use colour, the game is almost an antithesis to all the grey military shooters. I'd post a bunch of screenshots but they'd spoil all the beautiful locations.

Amir0x

Banned
really i hate motion/touch gimmicks, so are they not intrusive? That's the one major thing I want to know before I go out to get this. I hate when games make me shake to do fundamental functions or something like that

Skilletor

really i hate motion/touch gimmicks, so are they not intrusive? That's the one major thing I want to know before I go out to get this. I hate when games make me shake to do fundamental functions or something like that

For gravity shift stuff (flying), I'm using the analog and it works fine.

You do have to do stuff like swipe the screen to dodge during battles, and apparently this gravity slide thing I just learned about requires motion controls.

I don't think it's very bad, but it isn't optimal (particularly swiping the screen to dodge).

spats

I'm nearing completion, but I would say that you'd be able to beat the game just fine without ever using the slide during story missions. It makes a few levels quicker to finish but that's about it.

It's also used in some of the optional side missions, but I'd call that reasonably nonintrusive.

Bazza

I was hoping the game would be up on the UK store when i got up this morning so i could have it downloaded in time for my lunch break but no luck, downloaded it while at work today so its all ready to go when i get back home. only 2 hours to go, cant wait.

None of the motion/touch controls seem all that gimmicky to me; they feel like they actually put some thought into integrating them and it all just comes together.

Though, I'll have to get back to you on the Gravity Slide.

dark10x

Well, I certainly wouldn't retract my statement about Enslaved. I absolutely loved the experience, though I can easily recognize its flaws.

thuway

I hope the development team takes some of these criticisms to heart. The fighting mechanics are just a few tweaks away from perfection.

Amir0x

Banned
Well, I certainly wouldn't retract my statement about Enslaved. I absolutely loved the experience, though I can easily recognize its flaws.

I hope you know I'm just tweaking you. Yeah, I have to be a little more careful when analyzing your recommendations, but I still read your comments and consider them in my purchase decisions. You're still on my neoGAF list. I just really think you misled with the BG&E comparisons, they couldn't be further apart in terms of quality or gameplay philosophy if they tried :p

None of the motion/touch controls seem all that gimmicky to me; they feel like they actually put some thought into integrating them and it all just comes together.

Though, I'll have to get back to you on the Gravity Slide.

I'm nearing completion, but I would say that you'd be able to beat the game just fine without ever using the slide during story missions. It makes a few levels quicker to finish but that's about it.

It's also used in some of the optional side missions, but I'd call that reasonably nonintrusive.

For gravity shift stuff (flying), I'm using the analog and it works fine.

You do have to do stuff like swipe the screen to dodge during battles, and apparently this gravity slide thing I just learned about requires motion controls.

I don't think it's very bad, but it isn't optimal (particularly swiping the screen to dodge).

Thanks for the opinions, guys. It sounds like at the very least it's neutral in terms of whether it detracts from the game or not, so I can take it on the chin. I beat Dogma and Max Payne 3, so I need something to play. Thanks guys.

eznark

Banned
I thought that particular battle was a bit janky. It required precision controls and I don't think the game has them.

Still, loving the experience so far.

I didn't notice anything weird or special about that fight. Just business as usual.

The sliding is kind of annoying, really easy to get caught up on stuff, but that's about it.

Yeah, my comment had nothing to do with that fight, it was just a point of reference for how much of the game I've played.

To those taking issue with swipe to dodge. You don't have to wipe the middle of the screen. You simply just have to make a small swipe anywhere on the screen. It feels very natural to me actually as I just take my thumb off the right stick and make a small swipe on the bottom right corner of the screen. The swipe is not affected by direction wither so I just make a down swipe when I do it.

Ragus

Banned
Hmm, does the savefile show you guys correct game time? I think that my is fucked up. Up to chapter 10, and it shows 48 minutes.

Reclaimer

I think the motion controls are ok, only the actions they control (sliding and dodging) are pretty poorly executed. Either way, they suck pretty much as you'd expect.

That's the bad news.

The good news is that I'm many hours deep into the game and I simply don't slide or dodge 99.9% of the time. So no motion controls for me! There's rarely a need (other than some bonus challenges, but I'll tackle those later...maybe), so I just use the multiple other abilities, and everything is fine.

For those that were asking about combat lock-on, while there isn't a Zelda style Z-targeting, there is absolutely a soft lock for gravity kicks, which is where you want it. As you move your reticle towards an enemy, as you get closer to being on target, a larger transparent red reticle will appear and light up. if you attack with the enmy anywhere in that generously sized circle, your kick attack will auto track even a moving target for a bit. It woks well. Plus, the powered up gravity kick special attack might as well be a locked on auto attack, it tracks and hits every time.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
To those taking issue with swipe to dodge. You don't have to wipe the middle of the screen. You simply just have to make a small swipe anywhere on the screen. It feels very natural to me actually as I just take my thumb off the right stick and make a small swipe on the bottom right corner of the screen. The swipe is not affected by direction wither so I just make a down swipe when I do it.

You do actually evade in the direction the swipe is made, so if you swipe down, you roll back. It may not seem like it matters, but swiping in the right direction helps in some cases (like when the enemy throws a barrage of energy blasts at you, you want more or less want to swipe in the direction away from where most of the blasts are clustering)

Other than that, you're more or less right, you only need to do a quick small swipe. What I usually do is move my right thumb off the buttons onto the right edge of the touch screen, and swipe accordingly.

You do actually evade in the direction the swipe is made, so if you swipe down, you roll back. It may not seem like it matters, but swiping in the right direction helps in some cases (like when the enemy throws a barrage of energy blasts at you, you want more or less want to swipe in the direction away from where most of the blasts are clustering)

Other than that, you're more or less right, you only need to do a quick small swipe. What I usually do is move my right thumb off the buttons onto the right edge of the touch screen, and swipe accordingly.

Ah, you're right I do also make small left and right swipes as well, but they are always very small swipes done on the bottom right of the screen.

So for me I don't find it intrusive and I feel in good control of which direction I am dodging.

Top Bottom