• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush |OT| C’est la Vita

jgmo870

Banned
I think he meant you should repair every machine you should find, right away. Every time you repair a certain number of machines, Kat's reputation rises, which increases her maximum stat potential.

I think I finished Chapter 6 last night. So far:

Had some fun exploring the lost chunk of city. Talked to a scientist and his wife - I assume finding them is some sort of hidden objective? I hope I didn't miss them in a previous chapter already.

New area opened up, and I decided to literally hop the train - and just rode it to the next area rather than taking the shortcut icon. No load times or anything either - crazy impressive. Also found scientist and his wife again.

One thing I'm really finding interesting - there's a tower in the distance that Rusty simply won't let me get close to - he teleports me away every time I try to get close enough to figure out what it is.

The scientist and his wife expand on the story in the game. You should learn more about that tower from the wife (but you'll find out more about it as you progress). They're in almost every location in the game.

Takao

Banned
When did we find that out? I don't remember reading that.

I'm on the chapter where i've
just been to the fortune teller.
Having so much fun so far. Trying not to finish it too quickly.

Also, i <3 Kat

The game's Media Create numbers were like 70k and SCE announced it had passed 100k in Japan. Therefore the difference must've been made on PSN.

The game's Media Create numbers were like 70k and SCE announced it had passed 100k in Japan. Therefore the difference must've been made on PSN.

Unless something has changed in the past year or so, Media Create also excludes online sales, so people who bought their copies from, say, Amazon or Neowing would also not be included in their numbers.

ZeroAKA

When is the earliest you can do the mission to unlock the military costume? I'm on chapter 5 right now and I don't see it anywhere.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Goddamn I'm liking this more than I thought I would, which makes me despise Sony's mismanagement of the platform and game's marketing even more. But I digress.

A couple of questions regarding Kat's powers:
- Do they gain new properties by upgrading them or do they merely become more effective (power/speed)?
- Is there a way to control the gravity slide? I noticed that if you lift one finger after it's initiated would slow it down almost to a halt, which made me assume that I can adjust it in that state, but so far I wasn't able to do that.
- Are the powers I have access from the start everything in Kat's repertoire? I kinda liked that I began with almost everything but the game is introducing them at appropriate intervals. However I'm hoping to gain new powers down the line.

Goddamn I'm liking this more than I thought I would, which makes me despise Sony's mismanagement of the platform and game's marketing even more. But I digress.

A couple of questions regarding Kat's powers:
- Do they gain new properties by upgrading them or do they merely become more effective (power/speed)?
- Is there a way to control the gravity slide? I noticed that if you lift one finger after it's initiated would slow it down almost to a halt, which made me assume that I can adjust it in that state, but so far I wasn't able to do that.
- Are the powers I have access to right everything in Kat's repertoire? I kinda liked that I began with almost everything but the game is introducing them at appropriate intervals. However I'm hoping to gain new powers down the line.

The gravity slide powers are controlled with the accelerometer (tilting left and right, shake to jump) your turning while sliding is very poor but taking a finger off one side slows you down to a drift to make sharp turns

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
The gravity slide powers are controlled with the accelerometer (tilting left and right, shake to jump) your turning while sliding is very poor but taking a finger off one side slows you down to a drift to make sharp turns
Holy shit, thank you! Saved me time, you have.

Elios83

Just finished the game.
I think they could have done a much better job wih the plot. Too many things are randomly thrown at the player without a proper explanation.

Raven was one of the kids in the school bus which after an accident ended up in a parallel dimension at the bottom of th world where the time flows slowly.
She finds a way to return to her original dimension using an ark.
For her time passes and she grows up until she finds a crow with the power to manipulate gravity. She wants to use her power to help her friends to come back although she realizes that the people they knew won't be as they remembered anymore.
She is told that she will be helped by the army to find the kids if the disappeared parts of the city will remain as such.
But why? It's the reason why in the beginning her and Kat are enemies.......and yeat it isn't explained decenlty.
Who Alias actually is? Of course he's not just a thief, he controls Nevis and Kat seems to know him when he unmasks during the dream.
Dusty and the crow are Nevis?
Where do the Nevis come from?
Kat seems to be the queen/princess of a castle/reign at the the top of the main pillar, where time flows quickly. But it's not explained why she falls down the pillar and why she forgets about who she is.
The new major...what's his purpose? Just to fight Nevis using a Nevi weapon? And that gem he got during the ending while he's at the hospital, what is it and why Kat is figured inside as a queen?
Gabe and the other maker inside the little girl don't make any sense at all :D

So yeah, I think the story could have been much more.

jgmo870

Banned
Just finished the game.
I think they could have done a much better job wih the plot. Too many things are randomly thrown at the player without a proper explanation.

Raven was one of the kids in the school bus which after an accident ended up in a parallel dimension at the bottom of th world where the time flows slowly.
She finds a way to return to her original dimension using an ark.
For her time passes and she grows up until she finds a crow with the power to manipulate gravity. She wants to use her power to help her friends to come back although she realizes that the people they knew won't be as they remembered anymore.
She is told that she will be helped by the army to find the kids if the disappeared parts of the city will remain as such.
But why? It's the reason why in the beginning her and Kat are enemies.......and yeat it isn't explained decenlty.
Who Alias actually is? Of course he's not just a thief, he controls Nevis and Kat seems to know him when he unmasks during the dream.
Dusty and the crow are Nevis?
Where do the Nevis come from?
Kat seems to be the queen/princess of a castle/reign at the the top of the main pillar, where time flows quickly. But it's not explained why she falls down the pillar and why she forgets about who she is.
The new major...what's his purpose? Just to fight Nevis using a Nevi weapon? And that gem he got during the ending while he's at the hospital, what is it and why Kat is figured inside as a queen?
Gabe and the other maker inside the little girl don't make any sense at all :D

So yeah, I think the story could have been much more.

If you haven't realized it, the game was made with a sequel in mind. This was the first part of an overarching story and it explains how Kat's destiny, set by Cyanea not her Dream Guardian, was changed by Gade.

Edit:
Kat's royalty. You should figured that out during the dream sequence

Verelios

Wait, what? You can take a finger off to drift!? Fuck me. Thank you good sir, challenge missions HOOOOOO!

ksimm

2 hours in and I'm loving every bit of it. It's great just flying about collecting gems, and that music! Love Kat, insta like especially after the tutorial jerks grrrr.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Kat being all excited about her shit house is so funny

I thought it was very endearing, especially considering the quality of her
chair, chest and bed,
lol.

Haven't played much of GR so far, but I hope they do a sequel and keep the character around, in a world full of "serious" "realistic" "gritty" characters in the last few years it is nice to have one that is cheery.

Takao

Banned
I thought it was very endearing, especially considering the quality of her
chair, chest and bed,
lol.

Haven't played much of GR so far, but I hope they do a sequel and keep the character around, in a world full of "serious" "realistic" "gritty" characters in the last few years it is nice to have one that is cheery.

Toyama has said he'd like to make more. But that's obviously out of his control.

Elios83

If you haven't realized it, the game was made with a sequel in mind. This was the first part of an overarching story and it explains how Kat's destiny, set by Cyanea not her Dream Guardian, was changed by Gade.

Edit:
Kat's royalty. You should figured that out during the dream sequence

I figured the fact that Kat is some kind of queen of the castle of the world on the top of the pillar.
The problem is that there isn't a full story, just sparse details which the player should try to give an interpretation to and link together.
Would you mind to explain to me Cyanea's role in all this mess please?
She's a maker, but which world has she created? The underground village where the kids live? The whole world? Everyone is a piece of her dream and she has decided that Kat, her friends and enemies will die? So the Nevis are one of her creations too?
Then there is this guardian who is trying to help Kat to escape with the kids or is it Cyanea herself?
I don't know, to me it's a total mess :p

jgmo870

Banned
I figured the fact that Kat is some kind of queen of the castle of the world on the top of the pillar.
The problem is that there isn't a full story, just sparse details which the player should try to give an interpretation to and link together.
Would you mind to explain to me Cyanea's role in all this mess please?
She's a maker, but which world has she created? The underground village where the kids live? The whole world? Everyone is a piece of her dream and she has decided that Kat, her friends and enemies will die? So the Nevis are one of her creations too?
Then there is this guardian who is trying to help Kat to escape with the kids or is it Cyanea herself?
I don't know, to me it's a total mess :p

Remember what Syd said? This is like the start of one of those great suspense novels. Cyanea didn't create the world, Gade did. But what's occurring in it seems to be dreamed by her. Shifters, Guardians, and Creators can change the dream, I think... if I understood what happened right. Kat for sure was supposed to die. Don't know about the rest.

The Guardian is trying to protect Cyanea's dream... I think. I need to replay the ending. It's really kooky and left to speculation right now. More details and some clarification would be nice, and I think we'll get that with more games. But I like the approach they're taking with it. It's more interesting than being spoon fed tons of info with blocks of text.

Corto

At what point is the sliding power presented to the player? I think I skipped the tutorial of it but I'm already capable of using it and upgrading it.

Jucksalbe

Banned
At what point is the sliding power presented to the player? I think I skipped the tutorial of it but I'm already capable of using it and upgrading it.

I think you can do it from the beginning. It's introduced in Chapter 6 and again in a mission after that.

Elios83

Remember what Syd said? This is like the start of one of those great suspense novels. Cyanea didn't create the world, Gade did. But what's occurring in it seems to be dreamed by her. Shifters, Guardians, and Creators can change the dream, I think... if I understood what happened right. Kat for sure was supposed to die. Don't know about the rest.

The Guardian is trying to protect Cyanea's dream... I think. I need to replay the ending. It's really kooky and left to speculation right now. More details and some clarification would be nice, and I think we'll get that with more games. But I like the approach they're taking with it. It's more interesting than being spoon fed tons of info with blocks of text.

Well.......who knows if we're getting more games :D I hope so, it if sells well relatively to the Vita installed base (500k shipped worldwide including digital sales) it might happen.
But I think that the story was not handled well, it seems like they have an interesting plot written in some development internal document...........and then they just give sparse hints of it throughout the actual game.

Overall I understand the point of those who didn't give a full rating to the game, there is too much unexpressed potential, with a better combat system, more variety in secondary missions and great storytelling, this would have been a masterpiece. It's still a really good and fresh new IP, especially for a handheld platform.

Corto

I always feel bad when I shift gravity near people and throw them into oblivion afterwards. I hope there's something in the story going forward that rationalizes that somehow. hehehehe

jgmo870

Banned
Well.......who knows if we're getting more games :D I hope so, it if sells well relatively to the Vita installed base (500k shipped worldwide including digital sales) it might happen.
But I think that the story was not handled well, it seems like they have an interesting plot written in some development internal document...........and then they just give sparse hints of it throughout the actual game.

Overall I understand the point of those who didn't give a full rating to the game, there is too much unexpressed potential, with a better combat system, more variety in secondary missions and great storytelling, this would have been a masterpiece. It's still a really good and fresh new IP, especially for a handheld platform.

Gravity Rush is a game that I didn't fully appreciate until my second playthrough. Once you get used to all of the powers, realize how to properly use the gravity kick, and understand how to defeat the enemies/bosses, combat's a lot of fun. I think the story is really well told. Sparse details make for an interesting plot and fits GR's world perfectly. On my second playthrough, I'm picking up more details than I did before from the dialogue and cutscenes. I'm checking out all of the Rumor Spots and finding the Travelers this time, and they're adding quite a bit to the story too.

I'm sure we'll be getting a sequel.

OmegaZero

Just Platinum'd this.
Great game, but so many loose threads...

Also, I've done every challenge mission and my reputation is a high as it will go
(Top Cat)
. How come I still can't upgrade my skills completely?

Using the Down button to recenter myself all the time, I'm finding the camera to be much more manageable at times. Currently at Chapter 20, having played through some awesome episodes. I especially liked playing (Ch. 12 spoil)
Look Out Below, with the constant falling. It was a nice break from all the combat platformey stuff of the past chapters.
. I didn't expect the (Ch. 17 spoil)
time skip, and how it related to the "layers" of the world. It seems that time passes by more slowly the farther down you go?

In the meantime, hope there's some fix for Gravity Slide...at least combat is a bit more manageable now that I've collected tons of gems.

Midou

I only started it, but man if the Vita dies out when it can produce this quality of controls, graphics and sound, I am going to be so depressed.

branny

Please tell me I'm not the only one feeling nauseous after playing this after a bit, lol.
I feel your pain! I'm usually okay, but it's getting to me a little right now for some reason. :p

The last game that made me queasy every now and then was probably FFXIII with its spinny, swoopy battle camera.

Oh well. Maybe I just need to digest a little more...before going...upside down...*covers mouth*

Air battles could be better. A ranged attack that didn't require picking up junk would help (other than your power up)

The last rare nevi was a pain. I literally stood up and used the gyro to keep up with the action. Gyro aiming is pretty awesome if I didn't have to move around so much. Normally it works better for fine aim.

Air battles could be better. A ranged attack that didn't require picking up junk would help (other than your power up)

The last rare nevi was a pain. I literally stood up and used the gyro to keep up with the action. Gyro aiming is pretty awesome if I didn't have to move around so much. Normally it works better for fine aim.

Yeah, I use the analog sticks for wide camera panning when moving around and then the gyro for more subtle movements and aiming, I think the combination of the two works really well

Daft_Cat

Incredible game. As far as I'm concerned, this and Journey are the only 2012 titles worth going out of your way to play thus far.

Please tell me I'm not the only one feeling nauseous after playing this after a bit, lol.

I'm also on the list of people who get nauseous from the game and I never in my life got like that from any game before. Though I got used to it by now, after I just
trashed Alias.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Maybe it's just me, but has anyone noticed that Kat's
animations seem to improve as she levels up? What I mean is, at the start of the game, when floating around the city, her flailing arms seemed all akimbo and hapless. As the story has been progressing - I'm in Episode 10 right now, her "flying" has gotten more streamlined. She no longer seems to float limply when moving. She puts her arms by her side, legs straight, head forward. It may be must me, but that's what it seems like: she's getting more control of her powers, and it's showing in her animations

Anyway, this game is just a joy. It has so much to love about it in terms of atmosphere and charm, even if it's light on content.

I'd prefer a tightly designed game like this, over a bunch of filler quests that are only there to pad game length.

I'm taking my time with it, but it's very hard to not just play all night, especially with it being the weekend, and me cancelling my MGSHD Vita, and LEGO Batman 2 PS3 pre-orders.

Alright, just finished, great ride all around. I like how they left an (ending)
obvious sequel hook at the end. I hope they can follow through on that :x
But man, they left a good bunch of unresolved stuff at the end.

MBison

Damn those first four challenges are hard for a perfectionist like me. I have only completed 4 or 5 story chapters but I cant get more than bronze on the 1st gravity tossing and race challenge and gold on none. Any suggestions on race stuff? I feel a little chaotic flying around the race. Tips on feeling more controlled?

And the tossing one, trouble grabbing objects successfully and tossing them without hitting other stuff nearby. It's like a grab a pile of junk and it implodes when I toss it.

Or should I just not stress it :) I don't care about platinuming.

Diebuster

Damn those first four challenges are hard for a perfectionist like me. I have only completed 4 or 5 story chapters but I cant get more than bronze on the 1st gravity tossing and race challenge and gold on none. Any suggestions on race stuff? I feel a little chaotic flying around the race. Tips on feeling more controlled?

And the tossing one, trouble grabbing objects successfully and tossing them without hitting other stuff nearby. It's like a grab a pile of junk and it implodes when I toss it.

Or should I just not stress it :) I don't care about platinuming.

The way I'm doing it is going for at least bronze, and then leaving the challenge for later when I have a super powered-up Kat. It makes things easier since you can slide faster, fall quicker, and hit harder the more you level up.

Well, for the race, I found that "falling" close and parallel to the ground and using R to control my speed really helped me time wise. I end up hardly ever touching the ground, since you can trigger checkpoints by just traveling over them close enough.

I also ended up turning up the sensitivity of the R stick and the gyro to help me turn quickly towards wherever I was going.

I can't help you on the object toss ones, never even attempted those yet, heh.

Top Bottom