• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush |OT| C’est la Vita

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I keep forgetting that I can pick up and throw things with the Stasis Field. I need to stop doing that, as it comes in real handy in some of the battle with quicker moving enemies.

So far, I've yet to feel too frustrated with the combat. I'm in Episode 8 right now, maybe 9.

I actually think it's kind of fun when I whiff past an enemy, and I'm like, "fuck!" then I have to quickly reorient and try again. It makes the battle feel more fast paced and frantic.

I'm still getting the hang of the Gravity Slide, but it's difficult when some guy on the bus is falling asleep next to you, and using you like a pillow :\

Overall, I'm still in love with this game. It's not perfect, but why do so many gamers think that games have to be?

I'll write a review for my site later, but right now, Gravity Rush nails it's presentation, visuals, story, and even the controls for the most part. It's flawed, but it's a great start to a new IP. If they ever make a sequel, I'm sure areas like combat and tighter controls will be addressed.

I think there needs to be more variety in the combat, but at the moment, it's still pretty enjoyable.

Just moving around the city is a joy, which is often very hard to do in open world games, and only a few this generation I've played have done it right (Gravity Rush, inFAMOUS, and Assassin's Creed to a lesser extent- the cumbersome controls in AC kind of drop it below inFAMOUS and GR).

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
didn't know this was an open world game. Having a hard time choosing between this and metal gear.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
If anyone's interested, I'm selling my copy for $33 shipped, PM me if so.

Tailer

After spending 2 hours with the game, controls have become a non-issue for me.

I really suggest tweaking the sensitivity down a bit,

Lol funny cuz I did the complete opposite, the only real problems I have with the game is the sliding part & attacking flying enemies.

Amir0x

Banned
I think the motion controls are ok, only the actions they control (sliding and dodging) are pretty poorly executed. Either way, they suck pretty much as you'd expect.

That's the bad news.

The good news is that I'm many hours deep into the game and I simply don't slide or dodge 99.9% of the time. So no motion controls for me! There's rarely a need (other than some bonus challenges, but I'll tackle those later...maybe), so I just use the multiple other abilities, and everything is fine.

For those that were asking about combat lock-on, while there isn't a Zelda style Z-targeting, there is absolutely a soft lock for gravity kicks, which is where you want it. As you move your reticle towards an enemy, as you get closer to being on target, a larger transparent red reticle will appear and light up. if you attack with the enmy anywhere in that generously sized circle, your kick attack will auto track even a moving target for a bit. It woks well. Plus, the powered up gravity kick special attack might as well be a locked on auto attack, it tracks and hits every time.

Danke. I am going to grab it at 4:00(EST), so I hope they have it at K-Mart or Wal-Mart.

As long as I can ignore it most of the time, it won't be an issue.

Teggy

Does it not bother anyone that Kat is a mass murderer? Every time she leaps off the ground she catapults everyone around her off into nowhere ;)

jgmo870

Banned
I think the motion controls are ok, only the actions they control (sliding and dodging) are pretty poorly executed. Either way, they suck pretty much as you'd expect.

That's the bad news.

The good news is that I'm many hours deep into the game and I simply don't slide or dodge 99.9% of the time. So no motion controls for me! There's rarely a need (other than some bonus challenges, but I'll tackle those later...maybe), so I just use the multiple other abilities, and everything is fine.

Increase the gyro sensitivity and sliding should become much easier. You want to get good at sliding and using the dodge mechanic because they can be extremely useful with ground combat. Slide kicking makes short work of most Nevis and you can use the counterattack to reach cores your normal kicks can't.

I wish there are ways to let the camera face the enemy, some of the flying enemies are pretty hard because when you miss your gravity kick you have to rotate the camera all the way to face the enemy again and it may have moved from the last place.

That said, the game is actually not that difficult, it may get hard to nail some enemies, but the enemies are also not very aggresive, leave you plenty of room to maneuver even if you take your time stationary just looking for where the enemy is.

I wish kat can simply flyinstead of falling, I'll even take the gravity slide mechanic to change direction when falling in the sky so you can have aome nice dogfight in the aky. As it stand right now, you mainly fall to 1 direction and have to constantly stop and change direction rather thansmoothly zipping around in the air.

How cool would it be when you do gravity kick and see the enemies try to run away and you manually control your direction in a nice arc to still hit the enemies. Like a guided missile lockon to enemy but this time its you manually controlling it.

Grisby

Does it not bother anyone that Kat is a mass murderer? Every time she leaps off the ground she catapults everyone around her off into nowhere ;)
That's been crossing my mind alot too. Guess Kat hasn't heard that with great power comes great responsibility!

I wish there are ways to let the camera face the enemy, some of the flying enemies are pretty hard because when you miss your gravity kick you have to rotate the camera all the way to face the enemy again and it may have moved from the last place.

That said, the game is actually not that difficult, it may get hard to nail some enemies, but the enemies are also not very aggresive, leave you plenty of room to maneuver even if you take your time stationary just looking for where the enemy is.

I wish kat can simply flyinstead of falling, I'll even take the gravity slide mechanic to change direction when falling in the sky so you can have aome nice dogfight in the aky. As it stand right now, you mainly fall to 1 direction and have to constantly stop and change direction rather thansmoothly zipping around in the air.

How cool would it be when you do gravity kick and see the enemies try to run away and you manually control your direction in a nice arc to still hit the enemies. Like a guided missile lockon to enemy but this time its you manually controlling it.

I actually prefer the free falling mechanic and gravity shifting to some generic flying
It's a lot more exciting - plummeting through the sky and then saving yourself at the last second

jgmo870

Banned

There are two types of enemies that I found hard to hit in the sky. One's a bug like Nevi, the other is a swordfish Nevi. The first is really easy to beat. Use short range attacks. Even if you're not completely on target, the soft lock-on will help you out.

The other one shouldn't even be fought in the sky. There's a way to get it stuck in a surface (let it attack you then dodge), and its cores are exposed and vulnerable.

No enemy in the game is hard to defeat.

Takao

Banned

It's not that bad. Assuming they're getting sucked up into the
strom she'll eventually rescue them anyways

I once had a guy crashing so hard into a building that he got stuck. Only his legs were still visible. Made me lol more than it should have.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I wouldn't classify Gravity Rush as sandbox, though.

It's open world, because it's, well, an open world, free to explore.

But it's not Sandbox. It's not a Skyrim, Fallout, Red Dead Redemption, or GTA, where you can literally do almost anything you want.

I think it's an important distinction for some people to make.

Open World and Sandbox are not the same thing, although games like Red Dead combine the two.

I thought Deus Ex was sandbox in most respects, but not quite open world.

GR is open world. A linear open world, like Arkham City. I'm loving this game to pieces, though.

It's just so...damn...charming.

I actually prefer the free falling mechanic and gravity shifting to some generic flying
It's a lot more exciting - plummeting through the sky and then saving yourself at the last second

I'm not saying I want generic flying (what is generic flying anyway?) just want some degree of control to actually turn left/right when falling. you can still run out of gravity shift power, but more mobility on air rather than the current fall and stop mechanic.

gravity slide actually felt pretty damn cool when you get used to it, it's hard enough to control that it give you satisfaction when you nail that long string of sliding gathering gem in a row. I think that kind of control could work really well for gravity shift falling.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm very early in (Chapter 3 or so -- still getting nauseous and need to take Gravol after a while, but I guess this is going to be a game like SMG1/2 where I have to soldier on through it), but I have a question:

Does it matter if I pump the crystals into raising Kat's stats or not, or should I keep the crystals to activate the green exclamation marks' challenges? Would I need them for story stuff?

Teggy said:
I smashed someone into the fountain. Go me? :x

I'm very early in (Chapter 3 or so -- still getting nauseous and need to take Gravol after a while, but I guess this is going to be a game like SMG1/2 where I have to soldier on through it), but I have a question:

Does it matter if I pump the crystals into raising Kat's stats or not, or should I keep the crystals to activate the green exclamation marks' challenges? Would I need them for story stuff?

I smashed someone into the fountain. Go me? :x

the green mark challenge only require so little gem to activate, you'll get thousands of gem through the game. it's essential to level up kat's ability if you want to get gold medal in those challenges

Don't know if this was posted, but Gravity Rush and the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection Vita are both 34.99 at Frys Electronics this week. If you have a Frys nearby, thats a great deal.

I am going to price match my copy I already purchased and price match Metal Gear at Best Buy.

The deal is in today's ad in your local paper where Frys are located!

kuroshiki

Don't know if this was posted, but Gravity Rush and the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection Vita are both 34.99 at Frys Electronics this week. If you have a Frys nearby, thats a great deal.

I am going to price match my copy I already purchased and price match Metal Gear at Best Buy.

The deal is in today's ad in your local paper where Frys are located!

Well, people in California might just as well buy it from either PSN or amazon. After tax you are saving like $1 buying from fry's.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
the green mark challenge only require so little gem to activate, you'll get thousands of gem through the game. it's essential to level up kat's ability if you want to get gold medal in those challenges
Thank you very much! :)

I was saving them up just in case, but I'll pump them into her stats now. Edit: Seems like I misinterpreted. I'm sorry. I'll balance both. Thanks.

jgmo870

Banned

You should be doing both - increasing her stats and using them to activate the challenge missions. The former should be done for obvious reasons - stronger attacks, faster recharges, the ability to use gravity powers for more time, etc. The latter increases her reputations with the locals which, in turn, increases the cap that you can level up to.

Thank you very much! :)

I was saving them up just in case, but I'll pump them into her stats now.

I think he meant you should repair every machine you should find, right away. Every time you repair a certain number of machines, Kat's reputation rises, which increases her maximum stat potential.

I think I finished Chapter 6 last night. So far:

Had some fun exploring the lost chunk of city. Talked to a scientist and his wife - I assume finding them is some sort of hidden objective? I hope I didn't miss them in a previous chapter already.

Also found, near the boss, there was a tower area where Kat subtly hinted I should explore the underside of when I approached. Doing so brought me to a green creature just like the ones that throw slow projectiles - except this one threw like 20 at a time, and had a melee attack that hit me for 70% of my health. After dying to it I was bad and looked it up in the GameFAQs board, which told me to just get in close, dodge its melee attack, and wail on it until it melees again. I was able to kill it in about a minute or so of doing this, and a shitload of gems spawned in the room.

New area opened up, and I decided to literally hop the train - and just rode it to the next area rather than taking the shortcut icon. No load times or anything either - crazy impressive. Also found scientist and his wife again.

One thing I'm really finding interesting - there's a tower in the distance that Rusty simply won't let me get close to - he teleports me away every time I try to get close enough to figure out what it is.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well, that's an interesting way of levelling up (ie: linking max potential with her reputation). I'm intrigued.

Thanks to the three of you. At least gems don't seem hard to find...

Out of interest, how many ratings has the PSN version of the game got? (Since you need to buy the game before you can rate it, it's a good first estimate of downloads).

solarus

Out of interest, how many ratings has the PSN version of the game got? (Since you need to buy the game before you can rate it, it's a good first estimate of downloads).
Not really, the vast majority of people who buy content off the store do not bother to rate it I'm sure.

Takao

Banned

It seems SCE have broken this way of reading purchases. You can now rate demos, and they count for the total rating.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Here are some numbers. You're free to draw no conclusions.

EU: 360 (does not include the demo (demo has 3540))
US: 4206 (includes the demo)
JP: 5262 (does not include the demo (demo has 8009))

Here are some numbers. You're free to draw no conclusions.

EU: 360 (does not include the demo (demo has 3540))
US: 4206 (includes the demo)
JP: 5262 (does not include the demo (demo has 8009))

Thanks, I promise to draw absolutely no conclusions from that whatsoever :)

spats

So Gravity Rush sold less than 400 copies in EU. Toyama crying all the way to the pawn broker. But seriously speaking, I think the game will do OK in the long run. It's the kind of game I feel will sell slowly but surely over a longer period of time thanks to word of mouth.

Semi off topic, but what's the game with the most ratings on PSN? My guess would be FFVII. It had over 13,000 the last time I checked.

Takao

Banned
Really, it's difficult to gage sales based off the ratings. We found out that the game sold like 30-40k on PSN in its first month in Japan, yet those numbers don't show it.

Carl

Really, it's difficult to gage sales based off the ratings. We found out that the game sold like 30-40k on PSN in its first month in Japan, yet those numbers don't show it.

When did we find that out? I don't remember reading that.

I'm on the chapter where i've
just been to the fortune teller.
Having so much fun so far. Trying not to finish it too quickly.

Also, i <3 Kat

Lagunamov

So Gravity Rush sold less than 400 copies in EU. Toyama crying all the way to the pawn broker. But seriously speaking, I think the game will do OK in the long run. It's the kind of game I feel will sell slowly but surely over a longer period of time thanks to word of mouth.

Semi off topic, but what's the game with the most ratings on PSN? My guess would be FFVII. It had over 13,000 the last time I checked.

Lol? I didn't rate the game and I'm European, you can't know the sales only seeing the ratings...

Top Bottom