• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush |OT| C’est la Vita

No if you are buying it just for GR. But if you're going to pick up future Vita titles then sure, it's a great game that you should definitely get if you do have a Vita.

To be honest I don't even know what good upcoming games are coming for the system. I'm not at all interested in portable COD, killzone, and Resistance and the ps3 ports (All-Star Battle Royale, etc.) i'd rather actually buy for ps3.

Amir0x

Banned
just wanted to say I put a few hours into this and it is ace as fuck

extremely impressive for a handheld game in every way. This is why Vita is the best handheld for me... experiences like this are so far beyond the alternative baseline that it's shameless.

Except I do think the gimmicks go a bit far at times, it's not as avoidable as I'd have hoped.

Yeah... I'm stuck on him too ><
When you're in the phase when you're
supposed to attack him, you pretty much hang back and wait until he rears back to do a Hyper Beam, and attack that orb
. If it's the one where you have to
lure him, you pretty much attack him once, and then run to Raven really fast. Rinse and repeat

I was stuck for a while here as well, wondering what I was doing wrong, heh.

Reclaimer

just wanted to say I put a few hours into this and it is ace as fuck

extremely impressive for a handheld game in every way. This is why Vita is the best handheld for me... experiences like this are so far beyond the alternative baseline that it's shameless.

Except I do think the gimmicks go a bit far at times, it's not as avoidable as I'd have hoped.

Cool! Glad you decided to pick it up.

What gimmicks can't you avoid?

Edit: oh shit. Member in the house. :)

Really great game. I can understand why it's getting middling marks, but at the end of the day it's a wholly original and genuinely creative game. It's the sort of game I very much appreciate and enjoy, warts and all. And not since GTA Liberty City Stories has a game made me step back and marvel that I'm playing on a portable device.

Feels like the type of game that needs a sequel. That's also rare these days. There's a lot here that's not fully explored or exploited. It could be a ZoE1 to ZoE2 or Assassin's Creed 1 to 2 improvement if handled correctly.

Surprisingly easy to platinum. Both the main game and Special Forces Pack. Typically I don't go for achievements but everything was reasonable and came naturally from playing as I do.

edit: what's the highest reputation?

I'm at Idol Shifter, but health and many other categories seem like they can go higher. Health is stopped at 11/11 right now.

When you're in the phase when you're
supposed to attack him, you pretty much hang back and wait until he rears back to do a Hyper Beam, and attack that orb
. If it's the one where you have to
lure him, you pretty much attack him once, and then run to Raven really fast. Rinse and repeat

I was stuck for a while here as well, wondering what I was doing wrong, heh.

Do i grav kick or hurl stuff at him? I tried the latter, didn't seem to work.

Ken

To be honest I don't even know what good upcoming games are coming for the system. I'm not at all interested in portable COD, killzone, and Resistance and the ps3 ports (All-Star Battle Royale, etc.) i'd rather actually buy for ps3.

There's Persona 4 Golden coming and MGS Vita this week. After that I don't know.

Do i grav kick or hurl stuff at him? I tried the latter, didn't seem to work.
In both cases, I ended up using gravity kicks, and specials. For the actual attacking phase, I used my special when it was available, and kicks when I was waiting for it to recharge. Between those times, I pretty much just work on dodging stuff, and collecting green gems for health occasionally.

Chatin

The load times in this game are frustrating. It's great when you're in uninterrupted play, but while doing the challenges or having to refight a boss, its painfully long.

TripOpt55

Oh man. This game is amazing. Just finished Episode 17. Just a fantastic game. I love it. Might have to play some more before I go to sleep.

Picked this up along with Metal Gear Solid HD (Vita) and MLB 12 (Vita). Walmart screwed up the pricing on MLB and I got it for $20 brand new instead of $30! Amazing Vita haul for me today.

Anyway, I went into this game almost completely blind and it really paid off. This game is absolutely fantastic. I am so impressed with it and I am having a lot of fun playing it. It is very refreshing to have a game like; a nice adventure game that doesn't have many of the cliches the genre falls into and a game where the art style is unique, the gameplay is unique and the game manages a nice balance between fun gameplay and difficulty. The only problem I have so far is that I wish there was a bit more AA to cover up the jaggies and the loading when doing some challenges, but otherwise the game is amazing. This game needs to be bought! Now I just need me a kickass, awesome RPG for the Vita and I'm set!

I love the characters too. Kat is awesome!

Just started this last night. What a beautiful little game. Love the soundtrack, the world they've created and the gameplay is super fun.

Quick question, as I accidentally pushed the button skipping the save expalanation. What's the difference between the autosave and hard save system? It said something about loosing skill progress or something?

Berksy

Just started this last night. What a beautiful little game. Love the soundtrack, the world they've created and the gameplay is super fun.

Quick question, as I accidentally pushed the button skipping the save expalanation. What's the difference between the autosave and hard save system? It said something about loosing skill progress or something?

You can save at your home to record your collected gems etc after your last auto-save. So just save at your home when you are going to quit.

Berksy

Those stay with you if the game autosaved after a mission or challenge, don't worry.

Working my way with challenges now. They are pretty easy after you upgrade Kat.

Played up to the point of furnishing Kat's house last night and I'm really enjoying every part of the game so far, I particularly love the comic book scenes. Kat's overwhelming enthusiasm towards her new "house" was really charming, the presentation in that scene alone is better than anything else I've seen this year.

One quick question for anyone further into the game though, does it eventually get easier to hit the larger enemies that have their weak points on their back? Doing a regular jump kick seemed to be the only way I could reliably hit them as they moved too much to line up a gravity kick.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I'm absolutely loving the game so far, despite being rather terrible at it. I've received absolutely abysmal scores on some of the challenges.

One quick question for anyone further into the game though, does it eventually get easier to hit the larger enemies that have their weak points on their back? Doing a regular jump kick seemed to be the only way I could reliably hit them as they moved too much to line up a gravity kick.
Within the next two chapters, you'll learn an attack that should make it easier. I found it really difficult to hit those enemies as well, but, as I encountered more and more enemies, it became simpler.

Flek

Banned
wow i suck at this stupid gliding (?) where you have to press the touchsreen and then tilt control … i don´t feel like this works very well!?

Carl

I just
opened up the second part of the city
and loving it oh so much. The music is superb. Even just floating around collecting gems is a lot of fun. Honestly can't remember the last game i enjoyed this much.

jgmo870

Banned

There are three ways you can approach this:

1. Counterattack - it's the easiest.
2. Throw something at them. Press O to activate the stasis field and then once again to throw it at them. You should be able to do this in the beginning.
3. Gravity Kick - it can be the hardest if you don't know when to use it.

wow i suck at this stupid gliding (?) where you have to press the touchsreen and then tilt control &#8230; i don´t feel like this works very well!?

Try increasing the sensitivity, and learn how to drift.

Nightz

How many episodes are in this game? And for anyone who has beaten it, how long did it take you? I'm at episode 6 and I'm trying to decide if I should keep playing or save it for my 5 hour plane ride this coming Friday.

Kerub

Banned
I just
opened up the second part of the city
and loving it oh so much. The music is superb. Even just floating around collecting gems is a lot of fun. Honestly can't remember the last game i enjoyed this much.

The
second part of the city
is beautiful. :)

I just finished the story, it ended a bit abruptly..now to clear all the challenge missions!

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
What is counterattack? Is it something I unlock?

It's not an unlock.

After you swipe to dodge, quickly press the Square button, and she should do a flip-kick attack.

I forget about it a lot. Lol.

Although, in a particular boss battle, I found that the swipe dodge was very useful when avoiding multiple air projectiles...

I've been sort of taking my time with this one, since I won't be getting another Vita title for a while(I'll get MGSHD soon, though). I really do just love moving around the city. The controls have become much more comfortable as well, and I'm starting to come up with my own "flying techniques" for moving around the city quickly. I'm really starting to feel like a superhero. These new IPs always make me excited about future titles, even when I'm not finished with the first!

I feel the same way about Gravity Rush that I did about inFAMOUS: great first entry into a new series (hopefully!). I loved inFAMOUS 2 way more than inFAMOUS, so I'm hoping that if we get a Gravity Rush 2, it will improve over 1, and expand on it's concept more. Ideally, they'll do some refinements to the controls. I love the "loose" nature of the controls, since Kat isn't a master of her gravity powers yet, but I'm hoping in a sequel they tighten them up some more, and give us more control over her skills (mainly gravity slide; which I actually really enjoy, and use it often, even during combat).

The automatic kick you do when sliding is ridiculously strong. Too bad sliding was coded by something that crawled out of Satan's black asshole.

XD.

Some of the most satisfying moments in the game for me was sliding into one enemy after the other in succession. Bam, six down.

How many episodes are in this game? And for anyone who has beaten it, how long did it take you? I'm at episode 6 and I'm trying to decide if I should keep playing or save it for my 5 hour plane ride this coming Friday.

21 chapters, plus all side stuff. I'd say it's a 10/12 hours game, tho i didn't see my playtime...

Nightz

°°ToMmY°°;38938548 said:
21 chapters, plus all side stuff. I'd say it's a 10/12 hours game, tho i didn't see my playtime...

Thanks, I'll try to take it slow so that I'll have something to play on my flight.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
After playing this before going to bed last night I had some strange flying around and falling dreams, lol.

Reminds me if that night after playing Dead Space where I charged into the hallway outside my room to kill some monsters with my not really there plasma cutter to find myself standing there looking stupid at my cats.

jgmo870

Banned
Quick bit of advice; the slide kick and the counter attack you can do after dodging are both VERY strong.

XD.

Some of the most satisfying moments in the game for me was sliding into one enemy after the other in succession. Bam, six down.

The man knows what he's talking about. What's really awesome about gravity sliding is how you can transition from sliding/slide kicking to gravity kicking easily.

Zoibie

Been playing this game for about 3 hours now and I'm having so much fun just wandering around, taking everything in. I've easily spent more time looking for gems and doing other side quests than doing the story missions; it's such a charming and fun world to navigate even without the use of gravity dash.

Berksy

This tip is from digital manual:

- When you are falling down swipe the screen just before Kat hits the ground to avoid getting smashed.

Useful for some time trials.

This tip is from digital manual:

- When you are falling down swipe the screen just before Kat hits the ground to avoid getting smashed.

Useful for some time trials.

that would be so handy in cpt 12 (or 11, not sure) it's not like hitting the ground hurt your health, but I feel sorry for Kat falling and hitting the ground again and again

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
XD.

Indeed. I'm not having much trouble using the slide myself. I had a great run in one of the challenge missions, just slide kicking from one guy to the next. Outside of a lack of real variety, the combat is a lot of fun.

Just put my house together.

This game is really excellent. Getting the hang of the mechanics plus the charm and music(at times sounds like FF Tactics, Star Wars, even a little star trek) is so great.

It's nestling into my heart

Grisby

I think for the sequel they could definitely improve combat stuff.

That, and make Kat's shit house part 2 fully modeled so I can walk around it, ;)

Top Bottom