• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush |OT| C’est la Vita

Just completed the story today, had a lot of fun with the game and it probably is the best game I've played on the Vita so far. I really hope it gets a sequel, so much potential to make it even better.

Might go for the platinum too, I'll see

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Beat it last night and wondering if there is more story to unravel post endgame? Im guessing only the mystery ghost lady stuff.

If by ghost lady you mean ghost lady and man, then yea, sadly that is it besides challenges.
Here is hoping the sequel will incorporate some more open world stuff that is a little more developed than just challenges, I think it has some real potential, one of my favourite games of the year so far.

Orcastar

Went to my local supermarket today and noticed Gravity Rush on sale for €19.90. Bomba much?

Probably just a labeling mistake though, all the other games on sale were launch titles.

Jawmuncher

Downloads are 100 kb.... On-disc DLC, goddamn it Sony. I love this game so much so I'm doing it, but seriously fuck you guys.

While that is messed up it sadly works out in the situation im in.
Where im at the internet is ridiculously slow in terms of wifi, but at 100kn I think even shit wifi can manage that.

Just finished it....amazing! I didn't think I would be saying this but, step aside Journey....we have a new GOTY front-runner!

The way you describe is exactly how I checked my total playtime. What does yours say exactly when you press the i?

It just lists my total play time for each time I play the game. No way is my total only five hours. Wish I knew my total! : (

Haliela

Wow people are really loving this game :)

I guess I don't quite get it. Is this all there is to the game? Floating around the city and kicking things? Don't get me wrong, it's decent fun, but it seems Kat is the best thing the game has going for it. She's cute, bubbly, and very enjoyable to be around.

The challenge missions are as bland and ignorable as most open world games. Races here, time challenges there... yada yada yada...

I'm enjoying the story and characters, but I'm shocked to see so many screaming GOTY for this one. There must be something I'm missing...

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Finally beat it last weekend. Had a blast.

Was going through the challenge missions, and I'll get the Spy DLC when my replacement credit card shows up in the mail, or I might just buy a PSN card.

I thought the ending was fine. It didn't feel particularly abrupt or anything to. There were certainly a few loose ends, but it was more, at least in my opinion, broader loose ends. Things relating to the world lore and city itself, moreso than Kat herself.

It's like Uncharted, in that we don't know everything about Drake, but those things slowly get revealed with each game. I imagine that if we hopefully get a sequel, more of those story points will be addressed.

I loved the game. Combat, for the most part wasn't a problem. Perhaps the "final" special Nevi was a pain, but I took him down. The story was fun, and it made sense to me, and didn't feel overly anime. Kat's a really likable heroine. All it really needs is an equally charming supporting cast. Most of the other players, except perhaps maybe Gade and the Fortune Teller, weren't nearly as fun as Kat.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I hate games that end on cliffhangers. Specially one with so many unexplained stuff like this one. :( Has the sequel even started development?

Downloads are 100 kb.... On-disc DLC, goddamn it Sony. I love this game so much so I'm doing it, but seriously fuck you guys.

I'm actually wondering if the DLC is only on-card for the US/EU version, since we got the game so much later than JP. It would be perfectly reasonable if the DLC was done after the JP release and simply integrated into the later international releases.

I hate games that end on cliffhangers. Specially one with so many unexplained stuff like this one. :( Has the sequel even started development?

depends on how you define 'cliffhanger', i think.
had the game ended with kat in some kind of perilous situation, i'd call that a cliffhanger. as is, i thought it was simply somewhat open-ended, & felt that was actually sorta appropriate, &, given the game's length, far preferable to attempting to tie everything up in some kind of 'neat' (as in, 'rushed/cliched') way...

Jucksalbe

Banned
The challenge missions are as bland and ignorable as most open world games. Races here, time challenges there... yada yada yada...
I loved the races, all of them. Could have done without throwing challenges, but everything else was great. The biggest flaw this game has are the unbelievable long loading times.

polg

this is the only vita game I got when I purchased the console
(actually bought PixelJunk Monsters... but not a vita game)
and... I'm loving every second of it!

Nothing I played this year felt as refreshing as this...

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Wow people are really loving this game :)

I guess I don't quite get it. Is this all there is to the game? Floating around the city and kicking things? Don't get me wrong, it's decent fun, but it seems Kat is the best thing the game has going for it. She's cute, bubbly, and very enjoyable to be around.

I'm enjoying the story and characters, but I'm shocked to see so many screaming GOTY for this one. There must be something I'm missing...

I agree with you mate. Charm can only get you so far, sadly, this game doesn't have the gameplay to back it up.

Thoraxes

I agree with you mate. Charm can only get you so far, sadly, this game doesn't have the gameplay to back it up.

I can agree with this too. However, it definitely was a solid title though, and I had fun playing it. I hope they do a sequel as I would enjoy seeing more of this world they've created, and to see improvements on the gameplay foundations laid.

robox

i agree with this consensus. good, not great game with a cool mechanic that's not quite fully baked.
this is the type of game that makes me feel numerically summarized are wholly inadequate: i wouldn't give this game a high score because it's not that great, but i also want to communicate that the game should be played by everyone, just to try it out and as a case study of what would you do to make it better.

i feel like they could use the back touchpad to implement more controls during falling. is there a quicker way to change directions during falling than to stop, re-aim, then go? using the stick/tilt only does a little bit.

still, i'm glad this game exists and not shooter #32348. sony's japan studios are pretty good at bringing out interesting games

Jucksalbe

Banned
is there a quicker way to change directions during falling than to stop, re-aim, then go? using the stick/tilt only does a little bit.
How would that make sense within the game? Since you're falling and not flying you can't just make a turn.

robox

flying by kicks works alright.

so... how do i beat the special nevi in the inferno rift plain? there's not a whole lotta space to maneuver and supers don't work. i beat the first one by kick combos, but this guy has all his glowy orbs up high, so that's not gonna work out.

zoku88

This is pretty much how I feel about the game. I think it's hard to have full camera control with dual analogs. It would probably have been better if they restricted it a bit more.

Also, it gives me motion sickness, haha

Mzo

so... how do i beat the special nevi in the inferno rift plain? there's not a whole lotta space to maneuver and supers don't work. i beat the first one by kick combos, but this guy has all his glowy orbs up high, so that's not gonna work out.
I would kick one of the orbs and then air dodge away from him so his aoe attack would whiff, then kick again and so on. You can also bait out his punch and attack once or twice while he recovers. Don't forget you can run away for some health if you need it.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Finally beat the game tonight. Man I absolutely loved this game. The game had its flaws but it was just really fun to play and god damn Kat is so awesome. The story was really interesting even if the characters outside of Kat really weren't. The gravity mechanics were fun as hell, I absolutely love the use of gyro too, the whole package really worked damn well. The art style was fantastic too.

Got all the trophies for the 2 DLC packs so far and am at 97% for the main list but finding those travelers is a total pain in the ass.

Really hoping this gets a sequel. They definitely left a lot of room for the story to go in a sequel and I'd guess sales were good enough (well in Japan anyway) to warrant one.

Mzo

I absolutely loved everything about the game: the story, the music, the characters, the art style, the gameplay, everything. It was very focused and unique. It knew what it wanted to do and it did it well. I would give it an 8/10 only because there is no quick retry for the challenges, which make up a good chunk of the game. Coupled with the slightly long load times omitting that feature is a significant inconvenience.

It definitely felt like the first in a series. The story still left a lot unresolved in terms of Kat's past and the city's future, and A sequel could add a lot in terms of gameplay features and refinement.

PS - I want a whole new game starring the cyber army chick, she was so cool!

Kazzy

I finished the game yesterday and I pretty much echo what has already been said. I loved everything about it, well almost, the combat was somewhat lacking and it felt the need to beat you over the head with it, especially towards the end of the story. Everything else though, particularly the art style and music, really hit the mark for me.

The story is nothing original, but then again, it doesn't need to be. It's really well executed, and they reveal just enough to keep it all interesting and fresh. I guess a lot of the dangling plot elements are more of a case of planting seeds for a potential sequel, but I do appreciate a little mystery to a narrative.

I don't really get the itch to platinum games any more, but I still really want to mess around in this world. I'm enjoying the challenges, but some of them feel more like an exercise in memory, rather than skill. I am absolutely horrible at the sliding challenges, still can't find a consistent method to complete them!

And does anybody know how you start the Spy Pack missions? I've download it but it's not appearing anywhere. I'm playing on a cleared file at this point, so I don't think my progress has anything to do with it. I've re-downloaded the pack once already, but nothing gives. Any ideas?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I finished the game yesterday and I pretty much echo what has already been said. I loved everything about it, well almost, the combat was somewhat lacking and it felt the need to beat you over the head with it, especially towards the end of the story. Everything else though, particularly the art style and music, really hit the mark for me.

The story is nothing original, but then again, it doesn't need to be. It's really well executed, and they reveal just enough to keep it all interesting and fresh. I guess a lot of the dangling plot elements are more of a case of planting seeds for a potential sequel, but I do appreciate a little mystery to a narrative.

I don't really get the itch to platinum games any more, but I still really want to mess around in this world. I'm enjoying the challenges, but some of them feel more like an exercise in memory, rather than skill. I am absolutely horrible at the sliding challenges, still can't find a consistent method to complete them!

And does anybody know how you start the Spy Pack missions? I've download it but it's not appearing anywhere. I'm playing on a cleared file at this point, so I don't think my progress has anything to do with it. I've re-downloaded the pack once already, but nothing gives. Any ideas?

They should be in your mission log... the actual missions are in the Entertainment district.

Kazzy

They should be in your mission log... the actual missions are in the Entertainment district.

They aren't there :(

I thought as much, I mean, even the mission marker is clearly indicated in the map legend. The only problem is there isn't one to follow.

They aren't there :(

I thought as much, I mean, even the mission marker is clearly indicated in the map legend. The only problem is there isn't one to follow.

you sure you have the same region between your game and your psn account? for example, if you have asian region game card played on US psn account, then any US dlc you buy may not register with your asian region retail game.

Kazzy

Did you download it from the right store? (so EU store for EU version, US store for US version)
Did you get the "installing" message when you started the game after you downloaded the DLC?

Noooo! I didn't think of that. Hm, well I guess there is no way for me to actually play it on this account then, is there? I doubt I could even donwnload the DLC on the correct region and then switch back.

Shit. I feel a little silly now,
NO, MAKE THAT EXTREMELY!

Jucksalbe

Banned
Noooo! I didn't think of that. Hm, well I guess there is no way for me to actually play it on this account then, is there? I doubt I could even donwnload the DLC on the correct region and then switch back.

Shit.

Yeah, you could only switch to the right account and buy and play it there, but I guess it's a bit late for that. You can't download it on a different account and then play on your normal one.

Kazzy

Yeah, you could only switch to the right account and buy and play it there, but I guess it's a bit late for that. You can't download it on a different account and then play on your normal one.

I might have to trade this copy in if that's the case. My own fault, but I thought I had weighed up all the options before making this new account on the Vita, oh well.

But would that mean that my save is region specific also? I mean if I were to pick up the US copy now, would I be able to continue where I left off?

What an absolute mess I've created for myself!

I might have to trade this copy in if that's the case. My own fault, but I thought I had weighed up all the options before making this new account on the Vita, oh well.

But would that mean that my save is region specific also? I mean if I were to pick up the US copy now, would I be able to continue where I left off?

What an absolute mess I've created for myself!

my gut feeling is different region will install a new bubble on your vita, which probably meant your save file is not compatible.

but, if you really want to try, although I have no idea if this will work.

when you backup your game data bubble on your PC, you can go locate on your harddrive where it will save all your game data, I think by default it's kept in your my documents folder.your game data is kept in a folder under what I guess is a game serial number or something, for example, Escape Plan in my PC is saved under 'PCSA00004' folder.

now in that folder, is a bunch of subfolder called 'app', 'license', and 'savedata'.

so maybe you could try copy that 'savedata' file to your new gravity rush with the correct region.

Kazzy

my gut feeling is different region will install a new bubble on your vita, which probably meant your save file is not compatible.

but, if you really want to try, although I have no idea if this will work.

when you backup your game data bubble on your PC, you can go locate on your harddrive where it will save all your game data, I think by default it's kept in your my documents folder.your game data is kept in a folder under what I guess is a game serial number or something, for example, Escape Plan in my PC is saved under 'PCSA00004' folder.

now in that folder, is a bunch of subfolder called 'app', 'license', and 'savedata'.

so maybe you could try copy that 'savedata' file to your new gravity rush with the correct region.

So, getting a platinum using this save, and then saving the DLC for the NA copy it is!

I'll probably end up not playing the rest of it at this rate...

At first I found the controls in this game somewhat unwieldy, from general navigation to combat. But now, while I wouldn't say I've mastered anything, I've definitely got a knack for things, and it's come together quite satisfyingly. Challenges aren't an exercise in pure frustration anymore, and going for the gold has become something approaching 'fun'. Even the Gravity Slide move, while still unreliable at times, feels really cool to pull off when everything goes as planned. Just goes to show, sometimes all it requires is a little patience, practice and perseverance for your gameplay experience to be greatly enhanced.

Kazzy

At first I found the controls in this game somewhat unwieldy, from general navigation to combat. But now, while I wouldn't say I've mastered anything, I've definitely got a knack for things, and it's come together quite satisfyingly.

Just goes to show, sometimes all it requires is a little patience, practice and perseverance for your gameplay experience to be greatly enhanced.

Yep, switching from the gravity kick to the speed falling (holding X) was something of a revelation for me.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
flying by kicks works alright.

You can throw things at his orbs
There's stuff scattered across the bridge you come down from that you can pick up and throw, should get rid of a few of his orbs that way and then you can concentrate on the ones left and not being hit, lol.

Top Bottom