• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush |OT| C’est la Vita

KalBalboa

Banned

I just got my final video review up this morning.

I did this one a little more extemporaneously than I would have liked (I was running late with it due to some other projects I was finishing at the time), so some of my wording is a little less than spectacular at times, but I think it's another solid one. Any criticisms are greatly appreciated if you guys have them!

Orcastar

Just finished the game. Certainly a unique experience, but it could have been better. My main gripe was the story, which just seemed to meander around aimlessly for the entire game and then leave everything open for a sequel. Very annoying. The combat was pretty repetitive too; gravity kick, gravity kick, special, gravity kick, gravity kick special, ad nauseam. Still, was a nice ride while it lasted.

derwalde

i have the retail cart version of gravity rush, but in the main menu on the top right is written "download version". anyone else?

Grisby

Gavity Rush is my first ever Platinum.

18hrs on the clock. Love just flying around town and snappin pics like some sort of weird spiderman.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
At first I found the controls in this game somewhat unwieldy, from general navigation to combat. But now, while I wouldn't say I've mastered anything, I've definitely got a knack for things, and it's come together quite satisfyingly. Challenges aren't an exercise in pure frustration anymore, and going for the gold has become something approaching 'fun'. Even the Gravity Slide move, while still unreliable at times, feels really cool to pull off when everything goes as planned. Just goes to show, sometimes all it requires is a little patience, practice and perseverance for your gameplay experience to be greatly enhanced.
I would recommend turning off gyro controls if you're having trouble with the controls. The combat is something that you just have to get used to, unfortunately.

Kazzy

Why not just buy the DLC again in the correct region?

There is no way that I can do that on this profile, which means I would have to play through a good portion of the game just to get to a point where I could access it. At the very least, I'd have to buy the NA version of the game to use this content, and I don't even know whether or not my current save file would still work.

All things considered, its become something of a nightmare.

I would recommend turning off gyro controls if you're having trouble with the controls. The combat is something that you just have to get used to, unfortunately.

The whole point of my post was to establish that, while I struggled with the controls initially, I overcame such trials in the end to find that the game plays favourably, it just requires some practice. There's no use in turning off the gyro now that I've grown accustomed to it.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
There is no way that I can do that on this profile, which means I would have to play through a good portion of the game just to get to a point where I could access it. At the very least, I'd have to buy the NA version of the game to use this content, and I don't even know whether or not my current save file would still work.

All things considered, its become something of a nightmare.

While it sucks, you should have probably done a little research into it beforehand, lol. The Vita generally works the same way the PS3 does in regards to games and dlc.

While it sucks, you should have probably done a little research into it beforehand, lol. The Vita generally works the same way the PS3 does in regards to games and dlc.

Not... really. The PS3 doesn't force you into using a single PSN account the way the Vita does. They both require DLC region and game region to match, but that's about where the similarities end.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The whole point of my post was to establish that, while I struggled with the controls initially, I overcame such trials in the end to find that the game plays favourably, it just requires some practice. There's no use in turning off the gyro now that I've grown accustomed to it.
Hah, well, it's not something you need to get accustomed to if you don't want to. lol
I know my sliding improved dramatically without having to worry about the camera moving all over the place anyway.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Not... really. The PS3 doesn't force you into using a single PSN account the way the Vita does. They both require DLC region and game region to match, but that's about where the similarities end.

Which is what I said, I didn't say they handle accounts the same way, but the Vita handles region locking of DLC and region free physical games the same was the PS3 does.

Xiul

Just finished up the game, awesome from the beginning to the end, a very charming and fresh experience for me, Kat is lovely, it took me around 22 Hours to finish everything.
Now I am going for the DlC and start waiting for part 2.

Any tips on how to take out those flying 'centipede' things that spam energy blobs at you? Hate how they are always flying and i gravity kick right pass them :/

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Any tips on how to take out those flying 'centipede' things that spam energy blobs at you? Hate how they are always flying and i gravity kick right pass them :/
You just got to go above them and then close in while dodging. Then hit when they stop firing. Either that, or use your triangle special attack. They're probably the most annoying enemies to fight in the game.

It's best to fly above it, dodge the projectiles with evade (swipe the screen), then gravity kick from straight above. If positioned right, you can't miss. Sometimes if you get a good position right away you can just go ahead and gravity kick right away and you'll move too quickly for the projectiles to hit you.

wouwie

I started playing the game yesterday and at first i was not that impressed. I struggled with the controls, the combat and the gravity shifting. But i became better at it and felt totally different after a couple of hours playing. I'm currently at chapter 5. I still need to improve my skills but i can't wait to start playing again tonight.

I love the art (direction), presentation, the world and the characters. The story seems intriguing and interesting. And the more i get used to it, the more i enjoy the gravity gameplay. Also, the music is awesome. The whole intro sequence is great.

You just got to go above them and then close in while dodging. Then hit when they stop firing. Either that, or use your triangle special attack. They're probably the most annoying enemies to fight in the game.
I find the swordfish Nevi the worst, I tend to find I spend far too much time chasing after them, they always seem to move right as I'm about to hit them. :p

I find the swordfish Nevi the worst, I tend to find I spend far too much time chasing after them, they always seem to move right as I'm about to hit them. :p

The trick to those is to get them to attack you, then dodge and attack. They almost always will dodge your first attack, but if you dodge them first they become vulnerable for 2 or 3 gravity kicks, at which point it should be dead.

I like that every enemy can't just be gravity kicked from the front on the first try. The game is already only mildly challenging and that would make it a cake walk.

dsigns1

I started playing the game yesterday and at first i was not that impressed. I struggled with the controls, the combat and the gravity shifting. But i became better at it and felt totally different after a couple of hours playing. I'm currently at chapter 5. I still need to improve my skills but i can't wait to start playing again tonight.

I just finished the campaign. Every time I picked it up and played it I felt like I got more and more comfortable with the controls. Now if only I could figure out how to gold those speed runs.

Grisby

The trials become pretty damn easy if you wait until the end and your fully leveled. Only one or two of them had me going for another round.

ryushe

You know, when I first read IGN and Giantbomb's review, I admittedly and embarrassingly got a but miffed that they seemed to score the Vita's first real original game pretty poorly for, what I thought at the time, were silly complaints, but after playing a bit more of the game, I'm now inclined to agree with them.

It's a good game, but honestly, one that I thought I'd like a whole lot more.

You know, when I first read IGN and Giantbomb's review, I admittedly and embarrassingly got a but miffed that they seemed to score the Vita's first real original game pretty poorly for, what I thought at the time, were silly complaints, but after playing a bit more of the game, I'm now inclined to agree with them.

It's a good game, but honestly, one that I thought I'd like a whole lot more.

They got the innovative mechanics right, the campaign was enjoyable with a lovable and quirky main character but somehow they didn't meet certain reviewers' expectations, if they were running on a $50 million budget perhaps they could have done it.

I do think the criticism that the game doesn't find anything particularly interesting to do with its mechanics a valid one. I love the game in spite of that, but there's huge potential for improvement with a sequel, hopefully it happens.

Does the tilt setting affect Gravity Slide? I find I'm pretty bad at it. Maybe I just need to figure out drifting.

People have said it does. I haven't really experimented with it.

Drifting basically makes you slow down without affecting your ability to steer. If you let off on your second finger for long enough, you pretty much slow to a near-complete stop, but just letting up for a second or two is usually enough to do a 90 degree turn.

I agree. I think they left it open for a possible sequel (which I hope they make). I can kinda see the complaints in regards to combat. People really should aim with gyro.

Some tips and tricks I ran across on gfaqs.
Repeat grav-kick: grav-kick, cancel(L),grav(R), then grav-kick so kick,L,R,then kick, again and again. Works with stationary targets. You can really wreck bosses with this.

Use stasis to stop mid air while "falling", square+x for heel drop.

I'm sure there are more.

KalBalboa

Banned
7499358482_775cc584a0_z.jpg

Just "platinumed" the game tonight, making it my first Vita platinum trophy and my fourth overall.

Booyah.

KalBalboa

Banned
Nice stuff.

I'm tempted to try for a platinum, but I don't think I have it in me to Gold Medal all of the challenges.

I actually found it to be just challenging enough. I'm not usually a platinum chaser (I best assassins creed 2 and never got all the trophies), but this game made it worth the effort. One of the special Navi was a pain though, I'll admit.

Very annoying. The combat was pretty repetitive too; gravity kick, gravity kick, special, gravity kick, gravity kick special, ad nauseam. Still, was a nice ride while it lasted.

Really, because from what I've played it had more depth than most open-world games to date. If anything, every open-world game I've played has more repetitive combat than Gravity Rush. Thing is, the game probably made you think the gravity kick to be the equivalent of Issac's Mining gun hence it turned out to be the main usage for attacks. However, try to explore gravity slide kicks and actual hand-to-hand combat. You'll find them a lot more convenient to deal with enemies. Learning how to chain combos from hand-to-hand to gravity kicks to gravity slide is an experience that would put the likes of Assassin's creed to shame.

Really, because from what I've played it had more depth than most open-world games to date. If anything, every open-world game I've played has more repetitive combat than Gravity Rush. Thing is, the game probably made you think the gravity kick to be the equivalent of Issac's Mining gun hence it turned out to be the main usage for attacks. However, try to explore gravity slide kicks and actual hand-to-hand combat. You'll find them a lot more convenient to deal with enemies. Learning how to chain combos from hand-to-hand to gravity kicks to gravity slide is an experience that would put the likes of Assassin's creed to shame.

the thing is i don't think the game is designed for what ya mentioned. most enemy types can't be reached with basic kick (too tall, flying). Gravity slide is incredibly twitchy due to it getting clingy on geometry and hills and what not.

wouwie

I'm currently at the
new city part which you can reach with the train, episode 7
and i have fallen in love with the game. I'm taking my time with it and hope it doesn't finish any time soon, which is always a good sign. The crafted world is unique, almost magical and the music is so nice. The user interface is well thought out. The characters and story are intriguing. The gravity gameplay is fun.

Can't wait to continue with this lovely, charming and fun game. If it continues to be this enjoyable, it's going to end high in my GOTY list.

On a sidenote, i really like the way they solved the open world draw distance by making things in the distance look pencilled. It works well and looks great.

Ken

the thing is i don't think the game is designed for what ya mentioned. most enemy types can't be reached with basic kick (too tall, flying). Gravity slide is incredibly twitchy due to it getting clingy on geometry and hills and what not.

I like your new avatar.

I loved this game & I just don't get what the IGN review was complaining about, but I guess that's why its all opinion based.

Graphics were fantastic. I loved them.

Open world was great as each area had a different look and not many load times at all.

Grav mechanic was brilliant and made exploring and gem hunting really fun.

Story was nice and quirky. I think the main story about saving the day and all that ended nicely and your past is left unanswered, but thats fine. Its a nice bit of mystery that allows to be expanded on in a sequel if one is made.

Combat required a little bit of skill to get used to which I liked. Yes you can basically get away with only using grav kick, but slide does come in useful at times. However in the IGN review with Greg complaining that it was hard to hit anything and he would run away and wait for his super power just baffled me. You just had to learn to time your kicks right as they had some light auto aiming on them anyway. The ones that dodge at the last minute just require you learning to cancel, adjust then attack again.

For me the only thing I can see being a justifiable complaint is that the combat can be repetitive..... but im not sure combat ever isn't repetative in most game genres.

Either way... I loved it. My game of the year so far. Platinumed it and will get all the DLC once its all out.

More like this please.

for people having trouble with challenges I have 2 tips.
1 - wait till you have lvl'd up. It gets a LOT easier
2 - if you have trouble controlling grav slide, when it comes to turning just stop sliding, turn with sticks and slide again. I did that on some of them and it worked a treat.

Jawmuncher

All of the DLC is coming out to the store right?
I was going to grab the Cat Suit one, but realized the other's weren't up yet.
Figured I'd wait since they'll probably put all 3 in a bundle so I can save some cash.

Figured I'd wait since they'll probably put all 3 in a bundle so I can save some cash.

I imagine you have a long, if not infinite, wait if you want all the DLC in a bundle. Besides, all the preordered/first week folks got 1/3 of the DLC for free so a bundle would just be overcharging these people for something they already have.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

I doubt they will put all three in a bundle, and if they are it will be a while down the road, but yea, one is out and the next two are coming in this month some time.

Famassu

Considering getting this, but Ive heard that load times are kind of bad. Is there a difference between retail and digital?
I think the loading times aren't that big of a problem unless you're the worst gamer in the world and have to try the (optional) challenges 50 times before getting gold (I usually got gold in 2-4 tries, with a couple taking a few more since I perhaps tried them too early or wasn't quite comfortable enough with the techniques they needed).

Other than the repeating challenges, there's hardly any loading outside of fast travel between locations and dying. The open world is completely streamed and story-related loading times are hidden behind the comic book "cutscenes". So... really, I hardly noticed the loading times at all, even though I dreaded them after playing the demo.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Considering getting this, but Ive heard that load times are kind of bad. Is there a difference between retail and digital?

There aren't really any load times besides the initial load time for starting the game, fast traveling and repeating challenges. I honestly didn't take any notice besides when I had to keep doing certain challenges.

And from memory the retail copy is a few seconds faster that the digital one, so it really comes down to if you want it taking up space on your memory card or not.

Finished! Yes, it concluded rather abruptly, but it's hard to hate too much an ending where
everybody gets to eat ice cream!

It does have some decent-sized flaws, but it was definitely a memorable, absorbing experience. I eagerly await a sequel!

Duffyside

Banned
That was a fun fight at the end of Inferno whatever place. Glad it wasn't what I was expecting.

There's gotta be a compass or something for those pink gems at some point, right?

Just finished it....amazing! I didn't think I would be saying this but, step aside Journey....we have a new GOTY front-runner!

You sicken me.

Top Bottom