• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush |OT| C’est la Vita

Considering getting this, but Ive heard that load times are kind of bad. Is there a difference between retail and digital?

The only thing I really find annoying was the loading in between challenges. Why there is no retry option I'll never know. I could have used this for the airboat race. That was the only challenge I found difficult.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Meh, scratch that, read it wrong.

Seeing so many Platinum it, I really need to get round to finishing it off.

eXistor

Well, finally finished it this morning. What a drag this game became after the half-way point.

The actual missions are really pretty shitty, just fetch-quests and monster killing. They created such a cool town, but they forgot to actually do anything with it. Such a shame, because the core experience is quite good and the music, controls and characters are fine. It just comes across like they forgot to make an actual game out of it. I'd still recommend it, new ip's are something to be treasured and there's enough to love. A sequel would be very welcome, but they really need to acknowledge where they dun' goofed with this one.

Ponn

Banned
I'm almost done with Gravity Rush and i'm probably going to get hate for this but I think IGN's review was almost right on. I have a feeling in a year or two few people are going to be remembering this game as fondly once the initial launch lineup drought has subsided and we start getting more games. I'm not saying its bad or I regret purchasing it, I just should have stuck to my guns and waited till it was like $20 or so. I would give it a 7 or 7.5 tops.

The story is fine and the art is great. It's the gameplay that is so infuriating and brings the game down and it's hard to say what exactly they could have done different. Since Gravity manipulation is the whole point of the game that is naturally going to be something difficult to build gameplay around. When i'm in the heat of a battle with multiple enemies and have tons of fireballs coming at me and I miss a gravity kick and go flying who knows where the hell to it gets super frustrating. When I recover i'm next to a wall that i'm clipping through and I can tell fireballs are exploding on me and i'm now disoriented and can't tell where the hell I am or which way is which. Then I die and have to start all over. I've always been a stickler for gameplay and just like with Kid Icarus it can really bring the whole game experience to a screeching halt for me.

If they do a sequel I think theres a couple tweaks they could do to improve this. First add a lock-on feature. That really would have solved a ton of issues in this regards. I have a feeling they didn't because they either felt pressured to try and force people to use the gyro instead or decided themselves to try and force people to use because its "neat tech" and put the analog control in as afterthought to placate people. Secondly add some sort of 3D type compass in the corner. I don't mean just a NSWE compass but one that can show your orientation of up and down as well.

It's a good game, I would still recommend it to people getting a Vita. I just think the average game scores were justified on this game, it does have some glaring flaws.

The story is fine and the art is great. It's the gameplay that is so infuriating and brings the game down and it's hard to say what exactly they could have done different. Since Gravity manipulation is the whole point of the game that is naturally going to be something difficult to build gameplay around. When i'm in the heat of a battle with multiple enemies and have tons of fireballs coming at me and I miss a gravity kick and go flying who knows where the hell to it gets super frustrating. When I recover i'm next to a wall that i'm clipping through and I can tell fireballs are exploding on me and i'm now disoriented and can't tell where the hell I am or which way is which. Then I die and have to start all over. I've always been a stickler for gameplay and just like with Kid Icarus it can really bring the whole game experience to a screeching halt for me.

These all sound like you simply don't understand how to play the game.

If you missed with a gravity kick, simply cancel it.

If fireballs are coming at you, swipe the touchscreen in any direction and they won't hit you. This will give more than enough time for you to get your bearings.

The game gives all the tools necessary and anything more would be overkill.

Ponn

Banned
These all sound like you simply don't understand how to play the game.

I really hate when people say this. It's extremely insulting and condescending. I know how to play the game, I know how to cancel, which isn't immediate and with the artstyle, low/no texture backgrounds and draw distance its still hard to tell where you ended up which way is which, that hasn't changed. Especially if you cancel in the bigger enemies and are clipping inside them. Sometimes because of those factors it takes time to figure out if you are falling, floating or moving.

And yes, I know how to evade as well and that is also a point of contention with me. I really hate screen swipe controls in action games. It's not intuitive at all. I notice alot of developers not taking advantage of the the back touchpad and this is one of the games that could have used that. If they insisted on using swipes for evade and sliding they should have made it an option to use to the back touchpad. It would make it alot easier to control.

I really hate when people say this. It's extremely insulting and condescending. I know how to play the game, I know how to cancel, which isn't immediate and with the artstyle, low/no texture backgrounds and draw distance its still hard to tell where you ended up which way is which, that hasn't changed. Especially if you cancel in the bigger enemies and are clipping inside them. Sometimes because of those factors it takes time to figure out if you are falling, floating or moving.

And yes, I know how to evade as well and that is also a point of contention with me. I really hate screen swipe controls in action games. It's not intuitive at all. I notice alot of developers not taking advantage of the the back touchpad and this is one of the games that could have used that. If they insisted on using swipes for evade and sliding they should have made it an option to use to the back touchpad. It would make it alot easier to control.

Trust me, my first draft was a lot more condescending than what I actually posted. Your points were such a non-issue for me that I simply don't know how else I could possibly respond. As insulted as you are at responses like that, I am just as insulted at people who blame the game for their own shortcomings.

How are you controlling your camera? Are you using the sticks only, the gyro, or both? I never tried it myself but people have suggested playing in a swivel chair makes quick 180s very easy (you just literally swing yourself 180 degrees in the chair). I'm not really sold on this being better than just using the thumbsticks, but it might work for you. Also remember that pressing down on the d-pad will recenter the camera to normal gravity if you are floating.

I recall reading backtouch for evade was not made an option on purpose. Perhaps it didn't playtest well; I could see accidental input being a big problem there.

Ponn

Banned
Trust me, my first draft was a lot more condescending than what I actually posted. Your points were such a non-issue for me that I simply don't know how else I could possibly respond. As insulted as you are at responses like that, I am just as insulted at people who blame the game for their own shortcomings.

How are you controlling your camera? Are you using the sticks only, the gyro, or both? I never tried it myself but people have suggested playing in a swivel chair makes quick 180s very easy (you just literally swing yourself 180 degrees in the chair). I'm not really sold on this being better than just using the thumbsticks, but it might work for you. Also remember that pressing down on the d-pad will recenter the camera to normal gravity if you are floating.

I recall reading backtouch for evade was not made an option on purpose. Perhaps it didn't playtest well; I could see accidental input being a big problem there.

You're doing a Dyack and its wrong for him to blame gameplay issues on the players just like you. Especially when you have multiple complaints about the same issue. And heck, i was one of the few who liked Too Human. I still recognized there was problems with it even though i liked It same with Gravity Rush I like it but it has some flaws. And im sure you are fine with it, just like people swear Kid Icarus has no control issues.

No i dont use gyro control because its not precise enough. Again this sounds like similar arguments with kid icarus, if you have to include a stand with your game or suggest a swivel chair your game has some issues. Its better to admit the game is not perfect and hope the developer hears and fixes those issues in a sequel.

I received a Military Pack DLC code as part of the Amazon preorder, but, with my limited free time, I just know I'm never going to get to it.

So does anyone want it? First to quote will get a PM.

SmithnCo

I still cannot get used to Gravity Sliding. This should not have been a tilt thing. It seems like something they put on tilt because they felt obligated to use tilt. I'll try to adjust the settings but so far nothing makes it feel good.

Other than that I like it. Haven't had much problem with controls besides some annoying moments where there are a lot of enemies.

I still cannot get used to Gravity Sliding. This should not have been a tilt thing. It seems like something they put on tilt because they felt obligated to use tilt. I'll try to adjust the settings but so far nothing makes it feel good.

Other than that I like it.

I only used the gravity slide for open spaces, it works very well when you just want to speed from point A to point B

It's not so good for tight spaces and sharp corners

SmithnCo

I only used the gravity slide for open spaces, it works very well when you just want to speed from point A to point B

It's not so good for tight spaces and sharp corners

Yeah, a lot of the Slide races make you do that though. Luckily the times aren't too hard, but you still can't make many mistakes.

I think I would like those more if there was a "retry" button in the menu.

Kazzy

Yeah, a lot of the Slide races make you do that though. Luckily the times aren't too hard, but you still can't make many mistakes.

The gravity slide races definitely have the most lenient target times. Most challenges often took me a couple of tries, mostly to get the layout, but by nature, the slide races are constructed to be relatively straightforward. I rarely had to repeat any of those.

dsigns1

I received a Military Pack DLC code as part of the Amazon preorder, but, with my limited free time, I just know I'm never going to get to it.

I'll take it if it's still available. Thanks in advance.

Is the codes region locked? UK peep here.

[Edit] Bah, ninja'd. Question stands, however: can someone with a UK account use US codes for DLC?

Fabrik

Banned
So I just played the demo, I love the character design and the art style but I have a feeling I've already seen almost everything the game has to offer gameplay-wise. I get the main mechanic is flying around shifting gravity but it doesn't seem to be sufficient. Are the situations varied?

Thoraxes

So I just played the demo, I love the character design and the art style but I have a feeling I've already seen almost everything the game has to offer gameplay-wise. I get the main mechanic is flying around shifting gravity but it doesn't seem to be sufficient. Are the situations varied?

The answer is: kind of.

Like, they give you different objectives and you basically still fly and flying kick to complete most of them, but they do have a couple neat puzzles here or that that revolve around removing gravity, or making specific gravity directions that you are forced to take along a path, ala some of the levels in Super Mario Galaxy.

I would say though, about 80% of it is just the gravity flying mechanic though. You'll also get the ability to upgrade your abilities (like flight longevity) to be able to do more in the air for longer times too. Content-wise, I feel that it plays like a strong handheld title, so don't come in expecting a home console smorgasbord of content. I thought this game was worth my money.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
You're doing a Dyack and its wrong for him to blame gameplay issues on the players just like you. Especially when you have multiple complaints about the same issue. And heck, i was one of the few who liked Too Human. I still recognized there was problems with it even though i liked It same with Gravity Rush I like it but it has some flaws. And im sure you are fine with it, just like people swear Kid Icarus has no control issues.

That, and I flat out don't believe someone that claims they never got disoriented while playing the game.

No i dont use gyro control because its not precise enough. Again this sounds like similar arguments with kid icarus, if you have to include a stand with your game or suggest a swivel chair your game has some issues. Its better to admit the game is not perfect and hope the developer hears and fixes those issues in a sequel.
Swivel chairs are a common piece of equipment for gaming. Everyone has them, and it's high time developers recognized them as a valid HID.

Really though, it seemed to me that the thumbsticks were for rough directional aiming and that the gyro was meant to be uses in concert with them to fine tune your aim. Tilt is extremely impractical on its own.

THat all aside, what's the point of the post game? There's nothing to do but the challenge junk I didn't want to do in the first place. I ran into a few travelers but I don't really feel motivated to blunder around the world looking for them all since they give no way to find them....

dsigns1

I ran into a few travelers but I don't really feel motivated to blunder around the world looking for them all since they give no way to find them....

Maybe you know this already but when you enter a new city it will show a message in the top right with the number of travelers in the city. That will at least help you narrow down the search to a city.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Am I the only one who loves using the Gravity Slide? Especially on the challenges; it just feels right once I got the hang of it.

*Activates slide*
*Goes straight regardless of tilting, falls into lava.*
*Never uses slide again.*

Maybe you know this already but when you enter a new city it will show a message in the top right with the number of travelers in the city. That will at least help you narrow down the search to a city.
Yeah. I saw the travelers counter and said, "So that's what I'm supposed to do?"

So I checked the map and saw nothing. Wandered around a bit and found a lady who said she missed her husband. Kinda stopped caring after that.

Fabrik

Banned
Like, they give you different objectives and you basically still fly and flying kick to complete most of them, but they do have a couple neat puzzles here or that that revolve around removing gravity, or making specific gravity directions that you are forced to take along a path, ala some of the levels in Super Mario Galaxy.

Is there a name for that mission/level? I don't quite get what you mean.

Verelios

God damn. I'm always just a little away from gold on those freaking challenges that it's infuriating.

Has anyone gotten gold on that airship race one? Well, seeing who plat'd it, I'd say yeah. Damn, these challenge races are driving me crazy.

jgmo870

Banned
*Activates slide*

Yeah. I saw the travelers counter and said, "So that's what I'm supposed to do?"

So I checked the map and saw nothing. Wandered around a bit and found a lady who said she missed her husband. Kinda stopped caring after that.

Increase the gyro sensitivity. And the travelers give details about the world/universe. Gamesradar has the location of all of them.

Agent X

Am I the only one who loves using the Gravity Slide? Especially on the challenges; it just feels right once I got the hang of it.

No, you're not. I'm a fan of the gravity slide as well!

I know SmithnCo said above that didn't care for the tilt mechanic. I thought the same thing at first, but after a little practice I grew to appreciate it.

It does appear slightly "gimmicky" at first, in that you're asked to hold two locations on the screen and tilt the system to move. You have to learn to "steer: Kat almost like steering a car. When I first started using gravity slide, I had a tendency to tilt too hard and oversteer. However, after a few tries you should get a good idea of how much tilting you need to do.

Also, as KalBalboa pointed out, try to learn how to drift (lift one finger off the screen, keep the other one on). I used to do the "stop and turn" technique a lot early on, but if you can grasp drifting, then you'll find it to be very useful.

On an unrelated note, I got the "Frequent Flyer" trophy yesterday! I accomplished this in one of the early challenges in Auldnoir. Flying and attacking all those enemies in succession was a lot of fun!

Kazzy

God damn. I'm always just a little away from gold on those freaking challenges that it's infuriating.

Has anyone gotten gold on that airship race one? Well, seeing who plat'd it, I'd say yeah. Damn, these challenge races are driving me crazy.

That one just takes a little knowledge of the course, but the same could be said for the majority of the race challenges. A lot of the time in your intial runs will probably be wasted orientating Kat to find the next target. Those times will naturally come when you can recall the layout, where you pretty much react on instinct.

*Activates slide*

You're probably trying to tilt the Vita in the wrong axis. You should be turning the Vita as if it were a steering wheel, as mentioned above. Once you figure that out, it behaves exactly like you'd expect.

This is about the 4th time I've said this in this thread.

There's two travelers per area, which provide parallel yet related backstory. Finding them all actually fills in a pretty big chunk of the world's backstory.

AppleBlade

Just purchased this game today. Can't wait to put an hour into it tonight.

Any trophy hunting advice for me as I start up my adventure?

SmithnCo

The trophies are really straightforward. Most of them are story related, and the others are mostly challenges. I would say just play and enjoy.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

As others have said, none are missable and can all be done after you finish the game, probably easier that way too than trying to get ones at certain time.

Just play and enjoy the game and come back to them afterwards.

Top Bottom