• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush |OT| C’est la Vita

7457362098_a06f530da6_z.jpg

7457362786_3ba8f8c48f_z.jpg

7457363482_ef30b24225_z.jpg

Dat Kat

TripOpt55

I finished the other Spy mission. I liked it. I still haven't gotten Gold on the Health race though. Just keep messing one thing or another up. Will keep trying.

derwalde

i would have never thought that this game is that big! :O

finished episode 11 and dont want it to end :(. DLC seems a bit pricey but ill bite anyway.

f@luS

More than a member.
i finished the DLC with all trophies, Plat' the game

is there supposed to be 3 DLC max? so in 2 weeks another one and last one in one month?

after i can sell the game? no replaybility at all but my GOTY so far

i finished the DLC with all trophies, Plat' the game

is there supposed to be 3 DLC max? so in 2 weeks another one and last one in one month?

after i can sell the game? no replaybility at all but my GOTY so far

The DLC schedule has been posted in-thread already, but yes, the Maid DLC hits July 10 and the Military DLC hits July 24. (The Military DLC was also included with preorders at various retailers and on week one PSN purchases.)

And it has about as much replayability as any other open world game. Just start a new file. I could totally see myself replaying the game from start to finish a few months down the line.

/XX/

If that's really the example, the similarity would be more a function of Gunbuster and Gravity Rush's music both being composed by the same person. It'd be just as silly to say all anime music sounds like Babylon 5 because B5's composer did the music for one of the Tenchi Muyo movies.
Looking for more evident similarities? Hear this:

12 - Dix-neuf_在线视频观看_土豆网视频 top2 OST 飞跃巅峰
http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/yCJmuq7kiDk/

And there are other examples (specially when he goes for a more "cosmopolite" sound signature), as much of his compositions are reminiscent of previous works. His delight for fanfares is very present on all of them, of course.

Looking for more evident similarities? Hear this:

12 - Dix-neuf_在线视频观看_土豆网视频 top2 OST 飞跃巅峰
http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/yCJmuq7kiDk/

And there are other examples (specially when he goes for a more "cosmopolite" sound signature), as much of his compositions are reminiscent of previous works. His delight for fanfares is very present on all of them, of course.

I think the point being made was that there's no distinct musical characteristics that can strictly be defined as "anime music". This is pretty fascinating though, thanks for the links.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Did I read Gravity Rush was in development for 3 freaking years? Just finished chapter 17 and the missions and overall game mechanics in this game are a joke. At this point I'm not expecting it to get better.

Feels to me that the developers spent 95% of their time creating a cool looking city, but at the very end of the developing cycle they realized that their tech demo needed some gameplay so they threw in the most mundane fetch-quests they could think of from a brainstorm meeting that lasted 10 minutes.

Seriously, what a disappointment.

Yopis

Started this the other day. Wow really impressed. Have not had a game make such a great first impression on me in a long time. Glad I bought it for sure.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
negative hyperbole

Yes. They made all the gravity shifting mechanics and an experience of very different flying with real weight around some pretty intricate cities and level designs in just 10 minutes.

Similarly GTA games had "some shooting bits" put in after a quick 5 minute session of shittalking in the board room.

I'm not even sure where the fetch-questing stuff comes into any kind of complaint anyway. You go to places, you defeat things, the story progresses. This is pretty much the genetic "how a game progresses" code. Its gravity fluxing brother in arms, Mario Galaxy is the same thing buy a little more egregious on its fetching but offering perhaps a little more platforming where Gravity Rush chose combat.

I do kinda wish all 3 DLC mission packs were in the game from the start though, as they look to have some pretty diverse spins on the game's mechanics, but this is the age we unfortunately live in where shit is developed but locked away.

I remember waiting for this precise moment to get a Vita and boy am I glad I wasn't disappointed. So many reviews talk about combat issues which I never really got to experience. In fact, I would have to say 95% of the entire playtime on this game took place on a subway train to work. The other 5% was to finish off the remaining battery back home before recharge (about 2 - 5 min). And yes, I have platinumed this game despite the fact I had to sit tightly between passengers on a moving train.

One of the best purchases this gaming generation. Period.

The other 5% was to finish off the remaining battery back home before recharge (about 2 - 5 min).

It's actually very bad for lithium ion batteries to be discharged fully - about the worst thing you can do to them, actually, since a fully discharged lithium ion battery effectively commits suicide (the device will always shut itself down before allowing the battery to reach deep discharge). Best practice is to recharge at the halfway mark and not to leave it fully charged for long periods of time.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Yes. They made all the gravity shifting mechanics and an experience of very different flying with real weight around some pretty intricate cities and level designs in just 10 minutes.

Similarly GTA games had "some shooting bits" put in after a quick 5 minute session of shittalking in the board room.

I'm not even sure where the fetch-questing stuff comes into any kind of complaint anyway. You go to places, you defeat things, the story progresses. This is pretty much the genetic "how a game progresses" code. Its gravity fluxing brother in arms, Mario Galaxy is the same thing buy a little more egregious on its fetching but offering perhaps a little more platforming where Gravity Rush chose combat.

I do kinda wish all 3 DLC mission packs were in the game from the start though, as they look to have some pretty diverse spins on the game's mechanics, but this is the age we unfortunately live in where shit is developed but locked away.

lol at the Galaxy comparison. That game oozes creativity; each mission is different from the last one.

Gravity Rush is the same stuff over and over and over again. No variation, no strategy, no challenge, just generic mission after generic mission with some below average platforming and combat thrown in there.

lol at the Galaxy comparison. That game oozes creativity; each mission is different from the last one.

Gravity Rush is the same stuff over and over and over again. No variation, no strategy, no challenge, just generic mission after generic mission with some below average platforming and combat thrown in there.

I think your expectations wildly mismatch with the genre of game you're playing here.

Gravity Rush's strengths are very much with the scope of the world built, with all the mythology being revealed in bits and pieces, and with its characters and how they cope with the situation around them. It was never advertised as an action platforming game, and the fact you never even give the world building or story a second thought suggests to me these are aspects you're completely uninterested in. Which is fine, but it's unfair and uncalled for to call the game a "tech demo" because the focus was on things you're not paying attention to.

Binabik15

I finally turned my Vita back on last WE at a place where I have wifi, of course I got the demo immediately. I liked the demo, even with all the aliased lines which are so hard on my eyes, but 40€ is too much for me, I have limited time to play right now and the MG HD collection on the way and plans to pick Unit 13 on sale.

Don't hate me for not supporting this game, GAF.

btkadams

I finally turned my Vita back on last WE at a place where I have wifi, of course I got the demo immediately. I liked the demo, even with all the aliased lines which are so hard on my eyes, but 40€ is too much for me, I have limited time to play right now and the MG HD collection on the way and plans to pick Unit 13 on sale.

Don't hate me for not supporting this game, GAF.

the aliasing really tripped me out. it was really jarring at first, but when i booted up the game again a few days ago, i could barely even notice it. is the aliasing worse in specific parts of the game or something (ie: the tutorial section)??

cristian

Neo Member
Sure, the missions could be much better but the concept behind the movement is just magnificent, is a new way to play platform games and to me, that ive been playing for more than 20 years platforming games and i'm a bit annoyed by them is a fucking great thing. And the art is beautiful also the music is very good. The game is easy and the missions could have been much better but to me the new way of moving is just worth it.

/XX/

I think the point being made was that there's no distinct musical characteristics that can strictly be defined as "anime music". This is pretty fascinating though, thanks for the links.
That is what I think too! I was pointing out as well the distinctiveness of Mr. Tanaka's works, as that is what I thought Nonoriri was doing with that reply instead of agreeing with a pointless generalization like "anime music".

I was just reinforcing that reply introducing something more recognizable for the players of this game and at the same time unique from the author. Sorry... maybe I should have replied directly to airmangataosenai's post instead.

And you should check out as soon as possible Aim for the Top 2! Diebuster, man... if you haven't already!

It's actually very bad for lithium ion batteries to be discharged fully - about the worst thing you can do to them, actually, since a fully discharged lithium ion battery effectively commits suicide (the device will always shut itself down before allowing the battery to reach deep discharge). Best practice is to recharge at the halfway mark and not to leave it fully charged for long periods of time.

Is that right? Damn, I tend to do both things at the same time. Fully discharged plus leave it charging overnight. Thanks for the tip.

the aliasing really tripped me out. it was really jarring at first, but when i booted up the game again a few days ago, i could barely even notice it. is the aliasing worse in specific parts of the game or something (ie: the tutorial section)??

If you're talking about bright places like Endestria, I can see why the bloom could have a great effect on the aliasing.

solarus

While i don't completely agree, i do think the game is extremely average. The only things i like are the visual style and music. Started off liking it a lot, after finishing it i feel it was really meh.

Is that right? Damn, I tend to do both things at the same time. Fully discharged plus leave it charging overnight. Thanks for the tip.

Overnight is perfectly fine. Just don't leave it on the charger for weeks on end. (It's worth noting though, that most modern electronics mitigate the negative effects of doing this to an extent by allowing the charge to fall to around 90% after completing the charge. I'm not sure if the Vita also does this.) Also, don't be afraid to remove the system from the charger even if it's not done charging, as lithium ion has no memory effect like other battery types.

If you're going into a long period of disuse, it's best to discharge to around 40%, then store in a cool place.

This all applies to anything that uses a lithium ion battery, by the way, including phones and laptops. Further reading on the subject: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Finished the Spy DLC today, and got all the trophies that came along with it. I found it rather good, and a nice extension to the game. The challenges were a bit challenging, but I had more of a hard time with the ones that were in the original game. I'm not complaining, because some of the original challenges had me getting pissed off, haha. I can't wait for the next DLC, which is the Maid DLC. I'm wondering if that is going to be the last and final DLC we are going to get?

Finished the Spy DLC today, and got all the trophies that came along with it. I found it rather good, and a nice extension to the game. The challenges were a bit challenging, but I had more of a hard time with the ones that were in the original game. I'm not complaining, because some of the original challenges had me getting pissed off, haha. I can't wait for the next DLC, which is the Maid DLC. I'm wondering if that is going to be the last and final DLC we are going to get?

As I mentioned in this page:

The DLC schedule has been posted in-thread already, but yes, the Maid DLC hits July 10 and the Military DLC hits July 24. (The Military DLC was also included with preorders at various retailers and on week one PSN purchases.)

So yes, the Maid DLC is the last of all currently available DLC if you already have the Military DLC. Whether they put out more DLC in the future, who knows.

Just finished the game and got my second Platinum ever! I love this game. For me the combat was a blast, sure there were tough/annoying enemies but each had an effective way of taking down. Or just do the Typhoon lol. Then again this game just really clicked with me, on every level, and that's hard to relate to someone else that doesn't click with it.

Easily my favorite game on the Vita and this year so far. I must have put nearly 30 hours into this game and can't wait for the other DLC. Then its on to the sequel Team Siren.

Playing the demo now and this game is nothing special graphically. I expected more for some reason. Everything kind of looks...fuzzy or blurry. I dunno. Character is really jaggy too. Having fun otherwise.

Cheska

So I read that entering each area let's you know how many of the spirit couple sightings there are remaining. Does that only work if you travel to each area via train/air boat or will it work if you take the tunnels?

Emitan

So I read that entering each area let's you know how many of the spirit couple sightings there are remaining. Does that only work if you travel to each area via train/air boat or will it work if you take the tunnels?

I think it works both ways. I just wish there was an easy way to check it.

Playing the demo now and this game is nothing special graphically. I expected more for some reason. Everything kind of looks...fuzzy or blurry. I dunno. Character is really jaggy too. Having fun otherwise.

I think it's pretty damn impressive for being on a portable. But a lot of it seems to be a stylistic choice rather than technical limitations too. I have no complaints about the visuals.

Ken

That only works (showing the number of discovered/undiscovered spirit couples) after finishing the game once, IIRC.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Just finished the game, and I think I'm going to sell it now that I'm done since I can't see myself replaying it, especially since it doesn't have a New Game +. I made a comparison to Kid Icarus a few pages ago, and the two games are really similar in my mind: they're cool titles that aren't like anything else on their respective platforms that are ultimately more tedious than they're worth. I really hope the game gets a sequel (preferably one without combat). I'm glad I played it.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

You have to enter each area for the pop up to appear at the top iirc, which only appears after you finish the game.
Also once as area is unlocked you can just fly there instead of taking transport or the tunnels if you want.

Top Bottom