• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush |OT| C’est la Vita

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Increase the gyro sensitivity.
I did. The control still was ugh.

And the travelers give details about the world/universe. Gamesradar has the location of all of them.
Is there some kind of ending or does it really just wrap up with the mayor staring into a crystal ball?

You're probably trying to tilt the Vita in the wrong axis. You should be turning the Vita as if it were a steering wheel, as mentioned above. Once you figure that out, it behaves exactly like you'd expect.

This is about the 4th time I've said this in this thread.
KK. Better yet would've been if the game had adequately explained this.

There's two travelers per area, which provide parallel yet related backstory. Finding them all actually fills in a pretty big chunk of the world's backstory.
Shame they made it into a tedious chore.

RpgN

Just to make sure, you don't have to keep the gems you find to get the 20k and 40k trophies, right? You can use them straight and it would still count?

Finally had the time to continue with this and the game just keeps getting better and better. I absolutely love it. Sliding is so satisfying when you get the hang of it, the side missions don't feel excessive, they're just right and pretty darn varied. Side missions are pretty repetitive in other games usually. Just completed chapter 6.

KK. Better yet would've been if the game had adequately explained this.

Shame they made it into a tedious chore.

You're not alone in thinking this - tilting it like a balance toy was my first reaction too. I get the feeling there wouldn't be nearly as many people having trouble with it if they just included the words "steering wheel" in the tutorial description.

I actually found the hunt for the travelers pretty fun, but I've also explored the city without aim for hours on end without tiring of it.

Just to make sure, you don't have to keep the gems you find to get the 20k and 40k trophies, right? You can use them straight and it would still count?

Yes, as far as I know it keeps track of how many you've collected total, so you don't have to actually carry them all.

RpgN

Yes, as far as I know it keeps track of how many you've collected total, so you don't have to actually carry them all.

Sweet.

The trophies look very well thought out for a single player game. I hate when some trophies are ridiculous and take enjoyment out of games. Some games don't need that kind of push...

Jucksalbe said:

Thank you :)

Zen

Banned
Late to the party, but I just started Gravity Rush and got to Episode 2.

Holyyyyyyy shit. The intro sequence was beautiful and gripping, I was on the edge of my seat about dwelling into this strange world and then the kid!

I can't wait to play more.

Ein Bear

Just purchased this game today. Can't wait to put an hour into it tonight.

Any trophy hunting advice for me as I start up my adventure?

All I would say is don't bother going for the gold on the challenges your first time you unlock them. For some reason I forced myself to get a gold on everything before I'd move on, and some of them took me ages - it's a LOT easier just to come back to everything once you've levelled up.

Other than that, just enjoy one of the best games you'll play all year =)

All I would say is don't bother going for the gold on the challenges your first time you unlock them. For some reason I forced myself to get a gold on everything before I'd move on, and some of them took me ages - it's a LOT easier just to come back to everything once you've levelled up.

Other than that, just enjoy one of the best games you'll play all year =)

I finished most of the challenges as soon as I encountered them, you just need level up the right skills for the challenge.

Ponn

Banned
Haha, now I see why everyone was mentioning the dlc trophies. Thats pretty cool and makes me wonder if they were spying on the vita wallpaper thread here.

Also that first kid you run into sfter getting the spy costume is such a perv.

Kazzy

I caved and traded in my European copy of Gravity Rush, all because of my desire to play the DLC. I guess I'll find out the answer as to whether or not the saves carry over or not between the regions (UK to US).

I've already mentioned how much I liked the game, but having some time away from it has made me realise JUST how much. I usually hate saying stuff like this, but it's a contender for GOTY for me.

So I started playing through this yesterday, I think I'm on chapter 3. It looks fantastic, and the sensation you get from flying all the way up and having your gravity meter run out while your crashing down to the streets....there's nothing like it. Also seeing the pedestrians freak out and get trapped in your gravity field is hilarious. Love the comic book cutscenes. Combat so far has been pretty simplistic but enjoyable at least to look at with.

There's one thing that's bothering me so far, why is the dodge move attached to the touch screen?

d00d3n

Really fun game. Kind of validates my Vita purchase. Does anybody know how to manually save the game? Just lost a good 30 minutes or so of collecting crystals because I assumed that the game would save my progress automatically.

Kazzy

Really fun game. Kind of validates my Vita purchase. Does anybody know how to manually save the game? Just lost a good 30 minutes or so of collecting crystals because I assumed that the game would save my progress automatically.

You can save back at your house, which is the only way to do it manually (apart from one specific instance).

dsigns1

Use the Warp pipes (lol) to get back home. You can save when you enter your room.

RuGalz

Really want to like this game but using gyro for sliding and affecting camera is just frustrating. Maybe I could get used to it but rotating the screen like that always give me motion sickness and/or headache. I guess this is not going to be a keeper for me.

inter

With all the love I've seen this game get, I can't really be the only one to find the combat to be absolutely maddening, right?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
man,I love this game so much I'm doing my 2nd playthrough now and lovin it even more,and it's insane how much Ghibli-ish the game feel.

Gravity Rush is my GOTY so far ( and I doubt anything will top it this year).

With all the love I've seen this game get, I can't really be the only one to find the combat to be absolutely maddening, right?

It is maddening at first; it takes a whole lot of getting used to. But practice makes perfect, and the more you play the more adept you will become. I'm near the end of the campaign now and I'm a total pro compared to how I performed at the beginning.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Really want to like this game but using gyro for sliding and affecting camera is just frustrating. Maybe I could get used to it but rotating the screen like that always give me motion sickness and/or headache. I guess this is not going to be a keeper for me.
Turn off the gyro sensitivity for the camera controls. Once I did that, the sliding became fun for me.

I can't believe they would even leave that on for sliding - they had to know that some people will hold their Vitas at an angle.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I still need to go out and buy this game. D:

Must finish Persona 4 first. But man by far one of the greatest games that makes good use of the functions that the VITA has.

Really did enjoy the demo and the art style is quite refreshing. Hope that they will continue the series as I think the team behind this title really has something special here.

B.O.O.M

At chapter 8 now. I think i missed fighting one of those rare nevi. Can go back later to fight them?

Yes, eventually you will have a method to access the Nevi plains or w/e they are called as much as you like. So don't worry too much about it

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
No, I found the combat to be incredibly frustrating, so much so that if the game was any longer I'd probably have given up on it. Still a solid game though.

B.O.O.M

I for one absolutely love the combat in the game. It took me a little while to get used to it but once I did, I had a blast. It's a rather refreshing take on combat imho. The only thing I want is to change/upgrade ground melee, in a future sequel. Other than that it's perfect

Oh and this game has some of the most creative approaches to enemy design that I have seen in gaming general, in a long long time

Completed the game. Loved it. GOTY and all that jazz. The Spy Pack DLC for £3.19 - worth getting? I rarely bother with DLC, but this game...

Jucksalbe

Banned
The Spy Pack DLC for £3.19 - worth getting? I rarely bother with DLC, but this game...

You get two new story missions, two new challenges and a costume. They are all similar in style to the rest of the game, so you have to know yourself if that is worth the price for you. I really enjoyed the DLC and will also buy the last one.

You get two new story missions, two new challenges and a costume. They are all similar in style to the rest of the game, so you have to know yourself if that is worth the price for you. I really enjoyed the DLC and will also buy the last one.

Thanks a lot, I guess I'll go for it.

God damn. I'm always just a little away from gold on those freaking challenges that it's infuriating.

Has anyone gotten gold on that airship race one? Well, seeing who plat'd it, I'd say yeah. Damn, these challenge races are driving me crazy.

I hate to sound like I'm better at this than you, but I thought getting the gold medals was cake. Seriously easy.......

Play the main game and upgrade everything and then come back to them.....it shouldn’t take more than three tries.

EDIT: The airboat race was definitely the hardest one of the lot. Once you memorise all the checkpoints you’ll do it.

Mzo

You can slide, stop, reorient yourself, start sliding again and mess up maybe around twice and still get almost all the golds pretty easily.

The trick to the airboat race is that, if you're fast enough, the targets line up in a very convenient way. Try flying at the first car, falling some, then flying straight at the second car to get started. When you get into the arch you're supposed to slide up and around it for a couple of checkpoints.

The one thing I didn't know until I read about it in this thread that helped with the object carrying missions was that you can hold circle and gather more than two or three items at once.

Kazzy

The one thing I didn't know until I read about it in this thread that helped with the object carrying missions was that you can hold circle and gather more than two or three items at once.

Maxing out your statis atribute makes the sweeper challenge so much easier.

jgmo870

Banned
Rapping up my third playthrough, and I'm still surprised about what I missed. Like when Alias
takes off his mask, you can see that he has a holster strapped on.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Turn off the gyro sensitivity for the camera controls. Once I did that, the sliding became fun for me.

I can't believe they would even leave that on for sliding - they had to know that some people will hold their Vitas at an angle.

How do you turn off the camera gyro controls?
Or is it just sliding down the camera sensitivity or something?

SmithnCo

I turned down the gyro sensitivity and found sliding to be easier as well. I guess it only affects camera? When it is on, the camera would go buckwild when I was sliding which was part of the problem.

Still not a huge fan of sliding but I got more used to it after a while. Also platinum'd the game. :D

wouwie

I finished the game today. Didn't like the last chapters that much (combat became a bit of a problem) but overall i'd give this game 8.5 or maybe 9 out of 10.

Some thoughts:
+ unique and nicely crafted open world game
+ superb art, design and graphics
+ great presentation, well thought out user interface
+ great music and sound
+ interesting characters and story
+ gravity gameplay was fun

- gravity slide (i never managed to use it properly)
- story and characters got less interesting towards the end
- combat remained difficult to get to grips with throughout the game (which explains lesser enjoyment in the later episodes).
- the challenges lacked variety and didn't add much to the game (a missed opportunity)
- long loading times in between challenges

I tend to agree with the ones who say that more could have been done with the gameplay. However, it's a memorable game and i had a lot of fun playing it. I might even replay it at some point later on and i hope there will be a sequel.

olimpia84

^ Same here. I played this for about an hour and I'm loving it so far. I remember playing the demo at Gamestop and thought the game was a bit bland but now that I own the game I completely changed my mind.

Jeff-DSA

Ended up slightly disappointed in the game overall. On one hand you have an awesome gameplay mechanic that's easily the best execution of the gravity changing idea. On the other hand, you get a world that's basically Open World Template B. The race events, timed challenges, and the general world feels so tired and done before.

It's a shame that such a great mechanic is basically thrust into a pattern that doesn't beg you to use it in creative ways. In the end, I'd say that Gravity Rush is a good game, but it's disappointing/cookie cutter missions and challenges keep it from being great.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Finally got round to getting the platinum, a little sad I've done everything now.
Here's hoping we get a sequel and it comes with a bunch more things to do packed in.

oh are the dlc's out yet?

One is out, one is this week iirc, and the last one that was also the pre-order DLC is in two weeks.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I just reached Chapter 13:
"Kids Just Don't Understand" and map is just too darn cute. I like these subtle touches.

Ended up slightly disappointed in the game overall. On one hand you have an awesome gameplay mechanic that's easily the best execution of the gravity changing idea. On the other hand, you get a world that's basically Open World Template B. The race events, timed challenges, and the general world feels so tired and done before.

It's a shame that such a great mechanic is basically thrust into a pattern that doesn't beg you to use it in creative ways. In the end, I'd say that Gravity Rush is a good game, but it's disappointing/cookie cutter missions and challenges keep it from being great.

I thought the game world was really interesting to explore when it came to gem hunting. Going under the city and looking in obscure places. I liked the challenges but I would have liked to see some actual side missions I guess.

how much are they? Are they about the same length as preorder dlc?

And even though i liked the preorder one... didn't really get much jewel things :/

In UK they are just over £3 i think.

Im gonna wait for them all to come out and do them one after the other to get a decent run in the game again. Then later in the year / next year il replay the whole thing no doubt.

Gravity Rush is pretty much Ass Creed 1. Unique gameplay, a cool world, cool characters, and that's about it.

It definitely feels rushed/half ass port. non native res, fickle framerate, a general lack of production value (a lot of 'fade to blacks' instead of ... stuff happening).

If this DOES get ported to ps3, I might just be done with my vita :/

But alas, the only way for a sequel to happen is if the game got more sales.

catch 22.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Gravity Rush is pretty much Ass Creed 1. Unique gameplay, a cool world, cool characters, and that's about it.

It definitely feels rushed/half ass port. non native res, fickle framerate, a general lack of production value (a lot of 'fade to blacks' instead of ... stuff happening).

If this DOES get ported to ps3, I might just be done with my vita :/

But alas, the only way for a sequel to happen is if the game got more sales.

catch 22.
I'd give it more credit than that.

I feel it's a lot more functional and fun to explore than Ass Creed 1. It's not the best looking game, it has it's issues, it's rough around some edges, but I think you're exaggerating a little bit about the performance issues. Sure, the framerate dips, but so far they're not that prominant or deal breaking (unless there's something horrendous waiting for me). And thanks to games style the graphical shortcomings, and especially the resolution and aliasing, don't stick out as much as I thought they would. I think it reminds a lot more of Infamous 1; I think they share some qualities (fun, fun powers, and fun to explore) and some downfalls as well (IQ issues).

Yeah, it was finished around the time the Vita was released and was intentionally delayed, and yeah I wish it was given more time to cook. But in the same vein, I'd like to pat the team on the back for creating a first gen game of this scope and on their first try. You just don't get new adventure IPs this soon in a device's cycle this often. It's pretty much realized and fleshed out for the most part, but I agree with whomever suggested that it needs a sequel to just nail everything and be fully realized. I also have to give it to Toyama, he *really* had the entire game figured out in his head and was waiting for a chance to create it, because that's how the world feels in this game.

And for what it's worth, 13 hours in and the gravity gimmick is still exhilarating and I still think Kat's animations are as impressive as they were since I started the game.

Top Bottom