• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush |OT| C’est la Vita

God damn this game is bad. The inaccuracy of the flying mixed with the need to make exact hits during the boss battles is just infuriating.

I curse myself for vowing to not buy a new game for a console until I finish the one I'm currently playing. I want AssCreed Liberation. Every second I play Gravity Rush I'm just wishing it was over. Then there's always more.

Ugh. My most hated game of the year by far.

If you are not enjoying it just stop. BUT I think it was pretty accurate, are using the gyro for fine adjustments? Are you using the kick to change your direction without stoping? Are you pressing X to fall faster?

God damn this game is bad. The inaccuracy of the flying mixed with the need to make exact hits during the boss battles is just infuriating.

I curse myself for vowing to not buy a new game for a console until I finish the one I'm currently playing. I want AssCreed Liberation. Every second I play Gravity Rush I'm just wishing it was over. Then there's always more.

i loved it .. there are some moments where you can be confused witch way is up and down at times but most of the time it's easy to get back on track easily ..

as long as you upgrade your habilities , everything should be fine if you correct your aiming with gyro controls .

Coconut

Banned

The kick will auto target.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Seriously... I have a hard time believing anyone can possibly miss their targets with how ridiculous the auto targeting on gravity kick is. Heck, it even tracks around corners if it has to!
Are you sure? I remember it going direct line-of-site, which is why I hated fighting the bigger enemies (especially since there isn't a lock on camera).

God, those giant flying snake things were a pain.

Are you sure? I remember it going direct line-of-site, which is why I hated fighting the bigger enemies (especially since there isn't a lock on camera).

God, those giant flying snake things were a pain.

If you kick from too far and the enemy moves, yes, you might miss. You just need to press kick again near an enemy (and hopefully looking at him) and the kick will recalculate it's trajectory.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If you kick from too far and the enemy moves, yes, you might miss. You just need to press kick again near an enemy (and hopefully looking at him) and the kick will recalculate it's trajectory.
Yeah, but if you fly past them, you have to slowly turn the camera around to get a lock on them again.

I just remember being pretty annoyed, especially with the battles associated with specific trophies.

Skyzard

Banned
Probably needed to time the kicks better, I remember getting annoyed too. Not to the point that it ruined the game though, just thought it took a bit of skill.

leroidys

What do you mean by inaccuracy of the flying? I found it to be very accurate. As for aiming, it could have used lockon, but the game autotargets like crazy. If you aren't enjoying playing it, STOP! Video games are supposed to be enjoyable.

DrNeroCF

Can't you upgrade the flying kick to boost the auto targeting?

I dunno, I'd always kick, adjust the camera with the gyro, and press kick a few more times to realign. Never found traveling or attacking to be a problem.

Massa

If you're missing kicks constantly you have to be more conservative and reduce the distance between you and the enemies before launching into them.

Yeah, but if you fly past them, you have to slowly turn the camera around to get a lock on them again.

I just remember being pretty annoyed, especially with the battles associated with specific trophies.

Yeah, this is the problem. Particularly with the boss battle in Chapter 9, the tentacles move so quickly that you can have it lined up perfectly and still miss. Then turning the camera all the way around takes forever, and you probably just got rocked by the red shit he shoots out by that point. Then, once you finally get his bar down, you have to fly up to some pillar and initiate a QTE or something (another accurate flight path with several turns), and if you don't do it in time he goes back to half his health bar.

O M F G.

I hate this game so much.

Yeah, this is the problem. Particularly with the boss battle in Chapter 9, the tentacles move so quickly that you can have it lined up perfectly and still miss. Then turning the camera all the way around takes forever, and you probably just got rocked by the red shit he shoots out by that point. Then, once you finally get his bar down, you have to fly up to some pillar and initiate a QTE or something (another accurate flight path with several turns), and if you don't do it in time he goes back to half his health bar.

O M F G.

I hate this game so much.

You'll have to refresh my memory on what boss you're talking about, because none of this is ringing a bell.

It sounds like you're not using the dodging mechanics at all though - at no point in the game should you be in danger of taking damage unless you're fighting the rare nevi.

I had some problems with the targeting as well. I didn't use the gyro though. Some of the bosses seemed to move their vulnerable spots around too much and the kick landing or not landing seemed almost random. The only advice I have is to see if the boss has a pattern where it'll pause before doing something, and to shorten the distance from where you start the air kick.

Maybe I just didn't get it but the flight mechanic seemed a little off for me throughout the game, especially during the race events. Maybe the problem was that I played through the game before going to sleep so I didn't use the gyro controls.

And yeah, you shouldn't really be dying in this game since health powerups are usually plentiful during boss fights. If you need more life, you can upgrade your health during a boss fight to refill your life to full.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh yeah, for the races, the kicking is amazing. For the combat... the thing is, it's not that the combat is hard. It's just that it can get frustrating.

Heck, I platinumed the game so I was able to get through it just fine I suppose. But that was in spite of how I felt about the combat, not because of it.

Coconut

Banned
Oh yeah, for the races, the kicking is amazing. For the combat... the thing is, it's not that the combat is hard. It's just that it can get frustrating.

Heck, I platinumed the game so I was able to get through it just fine I suppose. But that was in spite of how I felt about the combat, not because of it.

Once you start getting the later super moves that all changes.

Takao

Banned
LBP DLC:
3CWbd.jpg

Why isnt there a patch to enable network connection when playing Gravity Rush like they did with Uncharted?
surely it couldn't be that hard.

Why isnt there a patch to enable network connection when playing Gravity Rush like they did with Uncharted?
surely it couldn't be that hard.

i think gravity rush uses a lot of power thank to the fact that it's open world ( sorta ).
since it wasn't designed from the start to allow some resources for network ..patching this could be quite hard.

Uncharted is a linear game , Gravity is not

Grinchy

Banned
I've only played for about an hour so far, and it was free, but this game is really sweet so far. I really like the comic book style to it, and it almost looks 3D when you tilt the screen around during the comic book storytelling. The gravity manipulation also feels really cool.

Grinchy

Banned
The demo really did not give a good representation of the final game. I read a lot of user impressions when the game came out that talked about the combat being too basic. The demo made it seem really basic too. This is not Ninja Gaiden or anything, but I'm enjoying the combat more than I thought I would so far. I just really like the overall style of the game as well.

olimpia84

The demo really did not give a good representation of the final game. I read a lot of user impressions when the game came out that talked about the combat being too basic. The demo made it seem really basic too. This is not Ninja Gaiden or anything, but I'm enjoying the combat more than I thought I would so far. I just really like the overall style of the game as well.

This is true. I remember playing the demo at Gamestop and thought the game was 'meh' then for some odd reason (mostly GAF selling me on the game xD) decided to buy it and ended up loving it. This will make my top 10 list for games of the year, no doubt.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
OK! I finally did it...I told myself to sit down and finish Gravity Rush. And holy shit am I glad I did! Control issues aside (and the wonky combat), the story was pretty awesome. The second half of the game was SO much better than the first! I do, however, have some questions about the story that some of you may be able to help me with.

First, when you go into the realm with Cyanea for the first time, you discover a castle. When the person inside the castle turns around, Kat is definitely shocked, but you're never really given info regarding who or what she saw. Anything I missed?

Next, who IS Cyanea? Is she another Gade? If so, how does that work? Can there be two Creators?

Regarding the Cyanea situation, she made it sound like everything we experienced was all a result of someone's dream? So is anything real that we experienced in the game?

The Ark and the Lost Children. What's the deal with them? It's clear that they've been gone for a LOT longer than they realize, and Cyanea even makes it clear that they'll wake up when the time is right, but is there any information on who they are or what they're doing?

And of course, finally, where did Kat come from? She fell from the sky, but that's all we know. Unless there really IS a city way above in the sky that she fell from? And if that's the case, was Kat the Queen as hinted at in my first question?

E: Oh! Who did Kat see under Alias's mask???

Sorry for the questions...But I'm REALLY curious about this story after finishing the last half of the game in two days, haha.

That being said, everyone who owns a Vita needs to play this game. Yes, the controls can be a bit frustrating and the combat can be annoying at times, but the story and overall experience is worth trudging through. I mean wow. I don't finish games very often, but shit am I glad I did with this one!

Grinchy

Banned
Ok, so I just finished Episode 11, I think it was called Thick Skin or something like that. This was the first time I felt the controls in the game sucked. When you start out the mission and the cat
gets sick so you don't have your full powers, at first it seemed like a cool change. I thought it would be a neat way to try to rejoin that piece of the city
. But that area is just a complete annoyance. It's enough work trying to climb up to high areas only to fall down because you use the gravity kick or one of your special abilities.

Then when you return and are finishing the mission, the fight at the end is also really annoying and frustrating. It's not hard, it's just that the game mechanics themselves get in your way. I'm still really liking the game though.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
That mission sucked. Sucked sucked sucked. You had to rubber band through most of the area, but whatever. That's about the time the story gets incredibly good, so it's worth it.

Ricker

Could not beat the first Boss last evening,so I gave up for now...I almost had him but I am not sure how to do the finisher thing...a window told me when I see the screen to touch the other screen to do a finisher?...

I am new to touch screen gaming so this might take me time to adjust,not use to leaving the button while the game is going to do stuff,like that surfing thing and I still get lost or fall down too much in this game...also what is this hold X when you fall to fall faster and navigate with the left analog? it does nothing lol...

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Could not beat the first Boss last evening,so I gave up for now...I almost had him but I am not sure how to do the finisher thing...a window told me when I see the screen to touch the other screen to do a finisher?...

I am new to touch screen gaming so this might take me time to adjust,not use to leaving the button while the game is going to do stuff,like that surfing thing and I still get lost or fall down too much in this game...also what is this hold X when you fall to fall faster and navigate with the left analog? it does nothing lol...

You will get a prompt on screen to touch to finish. There will be a blue circle with a little paw icon. If you see the blue circle but no paw, get closer. Once you're close enough, just tap the screen and it will take over from there.

The other main use for the touch is evade, which will become sort of important later. Just a quick screen swipe will allow you to dodge projectiles.

The surfing stuff takes some getting used to, but I honestly never used it outside of the challenges, so take that how you will.

And yeah, the X to fall faster + left analog...It does steer you a little bit, but it's minor. The best way I found to navigate is through repeatedly turning on/off fall with R and using the right analog to change view. It becomes relatively second nature after a while.

Pro-tip - there are certain abilities that are not worth wasting gems on. There are others that are imperative. Upgrade your gauge usage, gauge recharge, health, and gravity kick ASAP. The rest are pretty much up to you, but evade, kick, and the second gravity power should take priority. The first is OK, but the third is simply terrible and not worth spending gems on.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'm going to have to go through the game again one day, to see if I could possibly think Ep11 is as bad as people make it out to be. I still remember it fondly, because it just felt like a platformer with a super jump at that time, rather than a game with ground that I usually just fly over... Whenever I took my mind out of G.Rush mode, and more into Mario 64 Mode, I rather enjoyed jumping between platforms, and using gravity to give myself a "super jump" rather than "flight"...

To do the finisher, tap the front screen, the screen you're viewing the game on. I believe the enemey has to be on screen for it to work, but other than that, it's really forgiving; you don't really have to be in a strict range, or click on the enemey weakpoint itself, just tap the screen.

You're not really leaving a button to tap the screen either, you're just pressing a "different" looking button, in this case, the screen. A person can't usually, say, press circle and square at the same time, right? Nor can you press the R3 (analog pressed in) button while pressing the face buttons. That's all the screen is; another button.

Fall Faster: Basically, holding X while speeding towards a direction, will make Kat "Turbo Boost". It's helpful in some races, and when you want to cross large potions of the map.

Tilting the left analog: It does help move you, while zooming towards an area. Once you get good at it, you'll be able to pinpoint where you shoot towards pretty easily. It tilts you at angles, rather than 100% turning your body, if that helps some? So, is a normal fall is

Straight down: _|_ with the lines being the "floor"
then the left stick will help you reach angles: _/ _|_ \_

If you get lost, just bring up the map with the select button, and set a Navi point at your next destination. You'll probably eventually start to notice some landmarks, but Navipoints keep you from ever REALLY getting too lost.

Requisite Gravity Slide Note: You turn the Vita like a steering wheel while grav-sliding. Though the game says to tilt it, it's just a bad message. Turn it like you would a Wii-mote for a driving game.

When you want to make a turn, take one of your thumbs off the screen, and then turn the "wheel". This makes pinpoint turning much easier.

Pro-tip - there are certain abilities that are not worth wasting gems on. There are others that are imperative. Upgrade your gauge usage, gauge recharge, health, and gravity kick ASAP. The rest are pretty much up to you, but evade, kick, and the second gravity power should take priority. The first is OK, but the third is simply terrible and not worth spending gems on.

I can agree with most of this, (I still have Sliding Kick at lower levels), but have to say the 3rd special really isn't terrible. Mostly because it has a deceptively large hitbox, and it's the main one where Kat is invincible; Enemies that have spikes can knock you out of the other ones, but Micro black hole will keep you safe. At comparable levels, I found myself depending on Micro Black hole more than Spinning Claw, since the Claw's auto-aim isn't always 100%, whereas smart use of MBH to do loads of damage to many enemies in a wide area for the full duration is much more under my own control.

Gravity Typhoon is great though, those rocks have some crazy tracking, and can be thrown safely from a distance. Semi long startup and lack of invulnerability can make it hard to use up close, though.

Upping Stasis Field and Gravity Slide for challenges makes them MUCH easier. You'll need those extra levels eventually. I loved having a high stasis field, personally, because it was similiar to having a mini on-demand gravity typhoon available at almost all times.

Ricker

Thanks for the tips guys and I just beat that Boss now...I was too far away to really understand the finisher at first but I got it now...now I can board the train but I will do a few challenges first to get gems to level stuff and help me practice at the same time...I love the artstyle,the graphics,Kat and all to just give up on this game so early on hehe...

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I can agree with most of this, (I still have Sliding Kick at lower levels), but have to say the 3rd special really isn't terrible. Mostly because it has a deceptively large hitbox, and it's the main one where Kat is invincible; Enemies that have spikes can knock you out of the other ones, but Micro black hole will keep you safe. At comparable levels, I found myself depending on Micro Black hole more than Spinning Claw, since the Claw's auto-aim isn't always 100%, whereas smart use of MBH to do loads of damage to many enemies in a wide area for the full duration is much more under my own control.

Gravity Typhoon is great though, those rocks have some crazy tracking, and can be thrown safely from a distance. Semi long startup and lack of invulnerability can make it hard to use up close, though.

Upping Stasis Field and Gravity Slide for challenges makes them MUCH easier. You'll need those extra levels eventually. I loved having a high stasis field, personally, because it was similiar to having a mini on-demand gravity typhoon available at almost all times.

I should state that I never USED Micro Black Hole because Gravity Typhoon is so fucking amazing. Stand back and unleash. It really helps kill those stupid Nevi you run into later that fly and dart at you. Black Hole might be really good, but I found investing points into the other skills helped my play style more.

And SAB CA is dead on - upping the other skills are great for challenge completion. They are 100% unnecessary for story completion, though.

Got GR as a PS+ freebie on Tuesday, just beat it last night. Am I reading the time wrong, or did I really beat the game in 3 hours?

We never quite figured out how the time shown on the saves actually works. For some people it persists like you'd expect, for others it resets for no apparent reason. My pre-endgame save stands at 16 or so hours and my after-the-credits save has like 2.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
All this conversation made me go back and... Make Gravity Rush my first Playstation Network PLATINUM! (As in, I don't even have any on my still-fairly-new PS3, lol.)

100% on the game and on the Maid pack... working to finish Spy (completed story, but not challenges), before moving on to Special Forces pack.

I'm glad I haven't seen any real "spoilers" for the DLC; I've enjoyed their stories. Spy turned out toally different than I ever would have expected, and the Maid pack's second arch was kinda funny, though it left me wanting to push for a conclusion that sounded natural to the setup... maybe this'll be resolved in the Special Forces Pack!

I stil really want a cinematic viewer for this game... and after getting a nice closeup artwork of Maid Kat, I'm surprised there really wasn't any of the Spy outfit. But at least we have these fun linking-into-a-picture trophies...

magawolaz

Got GR as a PS+ freebie on Tuesday, just beat it last night. Am I reading the time wrong, or did I really beat the game in 3 hours?
Total playtime is broken. Sometimes it shows the last played section, I don't know if that's your case...
I'm sure it happened to me during my playthrough... but now that I finished it, it shows the actual time (~16h)

vladdamad

I was getting schooled in the throwing challenges until I realised that you could hold circle to hold more stuff... Things are gonna go a lot faster now :)

So I have a question about something in Episode 8,
when you get telelported to the town that you have to save, pretty early on there is like a little bridge you kill stuff on and then the flower opens. If you jump off the bridge and look down there's a small piece that if you follow it there's a little rock with a big black and green monster. Is there a way to kill that monster or do you have to just move on and not kill it. One hit removes half my life so after 2 hits I'm dead. I'm just curious if I can beat it for I have to skip.
Thanks!

So I have a question about something in Episode 8,
when you get telelported to the town that you have to save, pretty early on there is like a little bridge you kill stuff on and then the flower opens. If you jump off the bridge and look down there's a small piece that if you follow it there's a little rock with a big black and green monster. Is there a way to kill that monster or do you have to just move on and not kill it. One hit removes half my life so after 2 hits I'm dead. I'm just curious if I can beat it for I have to skip.
Thanks!

That's
one of the rare nevi. There's one on each rift plane. I beat it on the first encounter, but you have the option of skipping for now. You'll be allowed to replay the rift planes later in the game.

Top Bottom