• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GRID 2 |OT?| Lots of Pre order bonuses!

Is there actual management aspect in this? Only watch my friend play the intro few stages.

Can you manage your team, sponsorships, money etc to help gain 'views'?

sCHOCOLATE

What did you think of the original GRID?

At first, I had issues with GRID. I didn't fully appreciate the variety of car classes, events graphics and SFX in that singular package.

At that time, I thought the drifting segments were the best part of GRID. I thought the handling model in the remaining events was too loose and inert(FFB through a controller just wasn't delivered with the subtlety and, when appropriate, the intensity to match the visuals).

I re-purchased GRID a year ago and, accepting that game for what it is, I found renewed enjoyment.

But in the here and now, GRID 2 does just about everything better than GRID.

The comments about GRID 2 and arcade handling versus sim handling are painted with too broad a brush. No practical examples have been provided to support one claim or another.

I'll say this from a single firsthand experience:

Driving the Mustang around Big Sur was phenomenal. The main thing is how you apply what you know about driving/racing and how sensitive you are with your controller inputs.

Is the GRID 2 Mustang an American Muscle car? Yes.
If you pin the gas in a sweeping turn, will the rear of the Mustang step out? Yes.
If you gradually turn the car into a corner can you find the limit of front tire grip? Yes.
If you gradually increase throttle can you find a balancing point between grip and slip? Yes.
Can you steer on throttle inputs alone? Yes.
Does any RWD car in GRID 2 have a bias to oversteer? Yes.
Is it relatively easy to throw a GRID 2 car into a rear-wheel drift? Yes.

All of these things, as I witnessed firsthand, depend on how subtle or how heavy-handed your controller or wheel inputs are.

GRID 2 does straddle the line of arcade and sim style handling. With a bias to arcade style that encourages driving theatrics(read: hooning). Is the handling as tight as PGR2 or PGR4? No. But it is significantly better than GRID.

I hadn't purchased a brand new driving game in about a year. I don't regret purchasing GRID 2 at full price.

Day one DLC is a deal-breaker for many. But the game itself is GRID at the next level.

Hawk269

We made 1080p60 PC videos : http://www.gamersyde.com/news_our_pc_videos_of_grid_2-14085_en.html

Very good feeling with a Logitech G27, beautiful in 3 screens :D

Noticed no visual change with or without "Advanced lighting", so I turned it off as it uses too much GPU.
As well as the water, turned it down by one setting, there's no so much water and eats too much GPU too.

Very nice video. Console gamers should download this to see what Next Gen might be like on next gen consoles. Nothing better than pure 1080p/60fps racing with some good AA to make a game look amazing.

Just started up the WSR and did the Live Route races in Chicago. In the meantime, I've created 2 YouTube replays, which are annoying to do since you essentially have to watch the replay 3 times to upload it. These two are from the Faceoff races against the Pacers.

Chicago
Miami

There are a lot of tracks, but also many lay-outs of the same track it seems. Does anyone know how many original tracks there are ( other lay-outs, day-night, reverse etc. not included ) ?

Just started up the WSR and did the Live Route races in Chicago. In the meantime, I've created 2 YouTube replays, which are annoying to do since you essentially have to watch the replay 3 times to upload it. These two are from the Faceoff races against the Pacers.

Chicago
Miami

the replay cam is crazy... o_O. For a game all about drifting, it really does have some shitty angle/shots.

harrytang

finally beat, after 10 or more tries, the first promotional event.....and then the game crashed while loading so it didnt save.

tried it last night a bunch and kept saying i failed giving the Don 24k points every time. today when i tried he was actually on the track with me. i was having to around him just to keep going. he knocking into everything but still getting 24k or more, while i was stuck in the 13k area. pretty fucking annoying. finally beat it only to have it crash. goddamn it.

Mascot

At first, I had issues with GRID. I didn't fully appreciate the variety of car classes, events graphics and SFX in that singular package.

At that time, I thought the drifting segments were the best part of GRID. I thought the handling model in the remaining events was too loose and inert(FFB through a controller just wasn't delivered with the subtlety and, when appropriate, the intensity to match the visuals).

I re-purchased GRID a year ago and, accepting that game for what it is, I found renewed enjoyment.

Ah, good to hear. Glad you gave it a second chance. You gave me a pretty hard time after purchasing it based on my recommendation. I think you thought I'd stitched you up at the time..!

Caved in last night, even after the poor first impression.

Damn does this game look great, even on my lousy ass laptop which has a Core 2 + Mobility Radeon 4670 combo.

1080p60 is impossible, but 1080p30 was still doable on my 4 - 5 year old system. Even with 2XMSAA and important details set to high (like vehicle, objects, trees etc.)

Codemasters are fucking coding wizards to be able make a game look this good and run this well even on shitty laptops like mine. They do have a precedant though, all of their previous DiRT games (starting from 2 at least) and the first GRID game were doable at 1080p30 or 720p60 for my system.

Gameplay on the other hand is something I can't really comment on until I've done a few more races. Suffice to say, I'm really disliking the fact that you have start off with a muscle car. Urgh, no grip at all. Can't wait to get the Asian cars.

I've been comparing LiveRoutes side-by-side to know how they were implemented, and if everything Codemasters said about them is true. I love this addition to the game as I explain below, but I find that the implementation is not what I thought it would be going into the game. I've made a video about it, and I'm posting another one that's pretty neat later about LiveRoutes too. I'm also, of course, leaving my impressions here to get some discussion going between us :)

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFrf2vOja1Y

The basis for the comparison is as follows:
- 5km route
- Race must begin in the same starting spot

The left car is always a little bit ahead of the other one, so it gives you time to check if the right-side car is still on the same route easily. Changes do occur, although midway through only.

LiveRoutes are definitely awesome, and add a much needed element of freshness and randomness to a genre that specially when is short on tracks tends to become repetitive fast. However, LiveRoutes' implementation doesn't seem to be as great as I thought it'd be. As you can see, the race is pretty much the same until the last 75%. And this was a special case of the left side race actually being much longer than the right side race. I've compared other routes, which I'll be uploading, in which the differences are nearly none between two races. Plus, I always got the idea that at junctions the game would dynamically choose a path - but it doesn't. Instead, it seems to generate the layout during the loading, and if you restart races, as you probably noticed, the layout/path is the same no matter how many times you retry the race. So the mantra that I've seen Codemasters say, 'a million possibilities', or 'you won't know what's coming next, is not quite true here, but definitely not false either the longer the race you choose is.

It's quite funny as well when you constantly hear the engineer mention you need to keep an eye on the track or that you need to have good reaction times and all of that when by the time you restart a race 2 or 3 times, you'll know the layout like a regular track because it's not chosen mid-way through randomly.

Not only that, and as I will show in another video, some live routes seem to be lapped too, like in one certain starting spot in Barcelona. So in a 5km race, you're actually driving laps, going by the starting spot twice, with exactly the same layout except for *one* very short section near the end. Plus, in all the 5km races I've driven that begin in the same starting spot in a determined city, the layout change occurs exactly at the same junction every single time. After 2-3 races, you know *when* and *where* the change will occur, and it's very easy to counter *everything* Codemasters said LiveRoutes would provide that would be different from the normal racing gameplay we're used to.

Bear in mind though, that the greater is the race's distance, the more changes you will see, and the less predictable things will be, and that's a plus definitely.

Despite feeling their implementation is underdeveloped, LiveRoutes and Codemasters have a good thing going on. Anything that adds variety to a racing game is a welcome addition for me, and I'm definitely happy they took the time to add them to the game.

Really liking the game so far, even with all the shortcomings we knew about going into it. Overtaking challenges on Very Hard are, well, very hard! Loved the first one in the career, took me some 15 tries to win it.

sCHOCOLATE

Ah, good to hear. Glad you gave it a second chance. You gave me a pretty hard time after purchasing it based on my recommendation. I think you thought I'd stitched you up at the time..!

It was years ago, but I definitely remember holding a narrow view of GRID at the time. And I wasn't shy about it.

Your asking me about it was a good reminder.

Comparing GRID and GRID 2, I can say Codemasters has demonstrated they do have some sharp tools in the shed. It's just a matter of using them consistently.

I've been comparing LiveRoutes side-by-side to know how they were implemented, and if everything Codemasters said about them is true. I love this addition to the game as I explain below, but I find that the implementation is not what I thought it would be going into the game. I've made a video about it, and I'm posting another one that's pretty neat later about LiveRoutes too. I'm also, of course, leaving my impressions here to get some discussion going between us :)

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFrf2vOja1Y

Really liking the game so far, even with all the shortcomings we knew about going into it. Overtaking challenges on Very Hard are, well, very hard! Loved the first one in the career, took me some 15 tries to win it.
yeah, I'm sure it didn't get a lot of exposure, but I had a video and a follow-up interview on Live Routes a few weeks ago where they confirmed that you would get the same layout if you retry. They had sent me 8 clips from Paris, and out of those I found two that were exactly the same, but I was also happily surprised that the clips showed four different start points.

You can certainly learn the individual turns over time, and I think the restart and rewind features make them somewhat less impressive in single player. Online though, they do play into testing your ability to react vs other players.

Both are different games. I could call Grid a mixture of simulation and arcade. This new game is just arcade in terms of driving and with the lack of customization. Grid still holds up great. You can play it if you want a more realistic game than this. Or buy this too as its a good, fun game.

Just saw this reply. Thanks!

Pinbot

Banned
Dear Codies,

Why is there not one female name in the name section? There are about 100 male names to choose from, and not one female name.

Not very cool for us women who play.

I am disappointed. Improve in future if possible. It's 2013.

saladine1

Dear Codies,

Why is there not one female name in the name section? There are about 100 male names to choose from, and not one female name.

There isn't?

lol, didn't really notice. Oh well, there are plenty of nicknames to choose from I guess..

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
RESOLVED LIKE A BOSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am happy to report that the gear mapping "unassigned" issue HAS BEEN RESOLVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEEE

The problem was, I am using separate USB devices like you are, and the first device Windows sees in the list is my virtual joystick. This virtual joystick is created from a program similar to ppjoy, but this one is called vJoy.

vJoy is being used in conjunction with another Windows utility I am using called UJR. UJR allows you to take any button or axis from ANY of your physical devices, and map them to the virtual joystick vJoy creates in Windows. I have my wheel and pedals setup as X Axis, Z-Rotation and Z-axis respectively in the vJoy joystick.

The problem was, I did not create any virtual buttons for this joystick and since GRID 2 sees this virtual joystick as the first one under Windows, it simply did not recognize any buttons on it and I guess it assumed since there's no buttons, there's no need to make anything assignable under H-pattern mode.

So...to resolve this issue, what I have done is create 8 buttons for vjoy, and assigned all the gears from my TH8RS to them, and voila! GRID 2 suddenly allowed me to map ANYTHING I wanted to the gears under H-pattern mode!

The reason it kept reverting back to "Unassignable" is just wild speculation on my part and I could be wrong, because strangely enough, during this dilema, I was still able to map my TH8RS' buttons to everything else in the game without issue. Why the game chose not to play nicely with H-pattern gears? Who knows? As long as it now allows it I'm happy! :)

yeah, I'm sure it didn't get a lot of exposure, but I had a video and a follow-up interview on Live Routes a few weeks ago where they confirmed that you would get the same layout if you retry. They had sent me 8 clips from Paris, and out of those I found two that were exactly the same, but I was also happily surprised that the clips showed four different start points.

You can certainly learn the individual turns over time, and I think the restart and rewind features make them somewhat less impressive in single player. Online though, they do play into testing your ability to react vs other players.

Can you link to that interview please? :)

The starting points do help of course. And starting from the 10km routes enough variety should settle in even if you keep starting from the same area every time you do a new race. Online they can certainly induce (even) more mayhem as may people still won't know many of the nuances of the system. They definitely shine more online rather than offline.

The second video I mentioned is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9se1_6NCbPA
I'm sorry about the quality, I don't know what Youtube did to my video.

Dear Codies,

In GRID 1 aren't there separate lists for male and female names that you have to switch between? Not sure if it is the same in GRID 2.

Just tried running it on a Gigabyte 7950 and I'm getting graphical errors (green/purple rectangular stuff). It's like the effects that activate when I crash aren't working properly or something. Kind of w

Dawg

Is the ps3 version worth it? I have some extra money laying around and this game seems pretty decent. I'm a sucker for racing games and I've heard good things about the grid name.

Is there any customisation or upgrading in this game though? I feel like a lot of race games are missing that extra customisation itch these days and just make you drive races and that's it (Looking at you, NFS Most Wanted..)

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
So, if I bought it on GMG, I don't get all the pre-order DLC stuff from Steam ?

To get all the pre-order things we have to buy it from Steam ?

...Am I the only one who finds it hard to corner? I must be doing something horribly wrong :/

EDIT: Changing the camera seems to help

Dawg

Does it bother the game a lot on PS3? I really need to know since I'm going to the local game shop in a few hours and GRID 2 will probably be my purchase. (Ps3)

Dawg

Have you never noticed screen tearing in other games?

I have, but I don't really see it on his 1vs1 video. I remember it being horrible on the older Assassin's Creed games for example though. Also, I can't stand it on pc, that's why I always enable v sync. I want to play this on my console though, as I prefer playing racing games (especially arcade) on my ps3.

I have, but I don't really see it on his 1vs1 video. I remember it being horrible on the older Assassin's Creed games for example though. Also, I can't stand it on pc, that's why I always enable v sync. I want to play this on my console though, as I prefer playing racing games (especially arcade) on my ps3.

Correct, you don't see it too much in the 1 vs 1 video, but watch some of his races with multiple cars on city tracks. It's really noticeable there.

eemijun

Neo Member
Amazon sent me a code for the Headstart pre-order bonus even though I canceled my order. Quote to see the code. For Xbox.

leng jai

The visuals on PC are pure insanity and the best part is is that it barely even makes my GTX570 sweat. 1080p with 4x MSAA at 60FPS with these graphics is outrageous.

They've also fixed my main complaints about their previous games - piss filter and floaty controls. They've added significant weight to the cars so they no longer feel like they're skating across the road. It now feels like Forza Horizon with more emphasis on drifting. The audio is stellar as well - certainly in comparison to the garbage that GT5 and Horizon served up.

Impulse buy vindicated.

Aerocrane

sorry but that look like poop.

also rewarding Codemasters faults and ignorance for a shitty mod done by other guys is wrong.

The mod simply moves the camera to be inside the car. The textures of the interior of the car are what is rendered to be seen from the outside through the car's windows, it was not intended to be seen up this close so of course it doesn't look too good.

Top Bottom