• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GRID 2 |OT?| Lots of Pre order bonuses!

One question to those that have both games, I have GRID at home and have barely played it. Does it hold up and is it worth playing now that GRID 2 is out?

[edit - I guess that's two questions :p]

Both are different games. I could call Grid a mixture of simulation and arcade. This new game is just arcade in terms of driving and with the lack of customization. Grid still holds up great. You can play it if you want a more realistic game than this. Or buy this too as its a good, fun game.

jet1911

Just for fun I bumped every setting to ultra and I used the higher AA option.

benchmark results said:
min_fps_ms="31.138950" av_fps="39.693645" max_fps="49.979244

I have a GTX560 and an i5 2500k.

What kind of wizardry is this!?!

glaurung

Any game play videos from around the globe?

I want to see the final product in action. I would splurge if money weren't as tight as it is.

saladine1

Thank fuck for that. Really positive impressions.

How is the audio?

The audio is great!
Much, much better than GRID 1.

The cars are louder, beefier and raw. The shifting effects are also great. Sounds very natural.
Plenty of great sound effects such as backfires, crackles and pops especially on the downshift.
The crowds are lively and individuals can be heard real close as you drive by them.

Codies have really stepped up in the sound design ever since DIRT 3. I don't know who was responsible for the turnaround but they must be applauded on their efforts.
Great work and keep it up!

Mascot

How long do you have to stay in muscle cars, and once out of them can you avoid them for the rest of the game, or are you forced to use them again?

In case anyone was in any doubt, I don't like muscle cars.

Addnan

How long do you have to stay in muscle cars, and once out of them can you avoid them for the rest of the game, or are you forced to use them again?

Once you get to Europe you don't have to use them. Don't know what happens after that though.

I hate muscle cars too, was moaning and getting through them bits yesterday.

King326

Not for long. Get through the first season which is done by beating the WSR championship.

I made a video of the first 15 minutes of the game.

http://youtu.be/JLUC4RQhBOE

In the first Grid you started in one, I think, and then you had options to race in other types like Touring or open wheeled. But you kinda' had to do them to earn the points needed to go up in the leagues. Don't know if Grid 2 follows the same format.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Anyone had the screen go black? It's like the game crashes but you can still hear sound.

Not sure why it's happening. Getting an easy 150fps+ on Ultra.

saladine1

I suppose you prefer MG Midgets then?

Being an arcade racer, the Muscle cars aren't as bad as say FM4's cars where the boat like handling is accentuated. The V8 growl is oh so lovely too!

Xyber

My scores from the benchmark with everything maxed out and 4xMSAA at 1920x1080
Min: 56
Max: 95
Average: 72

GTX680@1240MHz
i5 2500K@4,6GHz
8GB RAM

Just a week ago I would've been happy with that. But my old monitor died on my and I just bought a new one that supports 144Hz. Turned down some settings so that I'm at 100-120fps on average. So smooth.

saladine1

I really love what CM has done in terms of atmosphere. A lot of racers out there are just plain dull in this aspect. Other devs can learn from this i'm sure..

Mascot

I suppose you prefer MG Midgets then?

Being an arcade racer, the Muscle cars aren't as bad as say FM4's cars where the boat like handling is accentuated. The V8 growl is oh so lovely too!

MGBs, if you don't mind!

Is the AI as humanoid as it was in GRID? I'm still impressed by the AI in that game. Single player races always felt like racing against human opponents. Always lots of spins, crashes and aggressive overtakes from the AI.

Edit: good to hear about the atmosphere, too.

saladine1

MGBs, if you don't mind!

Is the AI as humanoid as it was in GRID? I'm still impressed by the AI in that game. Single player races always felt like racing against human opponents. Always lots of spins, crashes and aggressive overtakes from the AI.

AI is great!
I don't know what it is about the less hardcore racers but they tend to have better AI than most sims out there..

With atmosphere again, it's so good to see so much life. It's such a breath of fresh air.
Helicopters above, good sized crowds who are excited about what's going on, bird life, animal life in general, debris flying through the air, the fake ESPN gig..etc. It all forms a natural, real life inspired scene..

Xyber

MGBs, if you don't mind!

I'm a couple of races in to season 2 and I rarely see them crash and stuff. Maybe it's because I'm playing on normal and I'm at the front of the pack most of the race though.

MJLord

AI is great!
I don't know what it is about the less hardcore racers but they tend to have better AI than most sims out there..

With atmosphere again, it's so good to see so much life. It's such a breath of fresh air.
Helicopters above, good sized crowds who are excited about what's going on, bird life, animal life in general, debris flying through the air, the fake ESPN gig..etc. It all forms a natural, real life inspired scene..

Feels good to play :D Gotta wait until Friday until I can take it online but the WSR is really fun.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
why not play the game with a Logitech g25 or g27?

sCHOCOLATE

Thank fuck for that. Really positive impressions.

How is the audio?
The audio is excellent!

Everything from the ambient environment SFX and crowd cheering, to the engine and exhaust note, and the tires screeching against the pavement are beautifully realized.

Sethos

Banned
out of curiosity, can you drift a GT-R in this? It's a bit hard irl, but hey vidya games!

untitled-17du6p.gif

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Because it's a full-on arcade racer where you drift everywhere. 360 controller is far superior.

Can't even imagine wasting time by breaking out my g27 for a game like this.

Hmm, why the prejudice against using wheels in arcade racers? Have you ever played an arcade racer *IN* the arcade? Sounds like you need to get educated on how arcade racing games were originally played:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a101qgl8Ncs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQphBpgOEPk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPZj3KXGIMI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZW8yglpvRY

Sethos

Banned
Hmm, why the prejudice against using wheels in arcade racers? Have you ever played an arcade racer *IN* the arcade? Sounds like you need to get educated on how arcade racing games were originally played:

Oh gee, thanks for the history lesson sir - I am so enlightened. That 360 controller really hadn't caught on back then, huh.

Why are you even asking in the thread why people aren't using a wheel when your response clearly is "but it's the best!!1" use your fucking wheel then.

isamu

Oh gee, thanks for the history lesson sir - I am so enlightened. That 360 controller really hadn't caught on back then, huh.

Why are you even asking in the thread why people aren't using a wheel when your response clearly is "but it's the best!!1" use your fucking wheel then.

My response wasn't "but it's the best", my response was to your silly argument that because it's an "arcade racer where you drift everywhere. 360 controller is far superior". I know plenty of people that despise using a controller to play any racing game, let alone one that involves driving american muscle cars.

GHG

Gold Member
The graphics are nice and it looks like it runs well on the PC. I'm tempted by this one.

Whats the cheapest price for the PC right now?

Sethos

Banned
My response wasn't "but it's the best", my response was to your silly argument that because it's an "arcade racer where you drift everywhere. 360 controller is far superior". I know plenty of people that despise using a controller to play any racing game, let alone one that involves driving american muscle cars.

Then why do you even ask when it's clearly an opinion matter, like "Why aren't you guys using a wheel" because the game is designed for controllers and plays perfectly with a controller, why whip out a cumbersome wheel that won't even help you in any way, shape or form? If you want to use the wheel, then use a wheel -- No need to ask in that puzzled manner, like "Why wouldn't you do that!?!"

The graphics are nice and it looks like it runs well on the PC. I'm tempted by this one.

Whats the cheapest price for the PC right now?

Think it might be GMG http://www.greenmangaming.com/ with 25% off voucher GMG25-55FJ7-ADQ3P

Amon37

You get access to a non muscle car almost instantly and can use it in the muscle car races and win.

Stock yes and it's an arcade game, if you are looking for any kind of parallels to the real cars you really shouldn't look into this game.

There has been arcade games where you can grip too!

it's just how they market this and the first one... I dont' recall them ever calling it a full arcade game. Weren't they always trying to balance some sort of arcade sim thing?

I might still pick this up someday I guess. There really is a bit of a shortage of arcade racers with actual real cars and aren't just cart racers.

Sethos

Banned
There has been arcade games where you can grip too!

it's just how they market this and the first one... I dont' recall them ever calling it a full arcade game. Weren't they always trying to balance some sort of arcade sim thing?

I don't think they marketed them as a half-and-half products but I can tell you, GRID 2 is an arcade racer all the way through. Not much simulation going on there or vehicles based on real-world stats and handling.

GHG

Gold Member
Then why do you even ask when it's clearly an opinion matter, like "Why aren't you guys using a wheel" because the game is designed for controllers and plays perfectly with a controller, why whip out a cumbersome wheel that won't even help you in any way, shape or form? If you want to use the wheel, then use a wheel -- No need to ask in that puzzled manner, like "Why wouldn't you do that!?!"

Think it might be GMG http://www.greenmangaming.com/ with 25% off voucher GMG25-55FJ7-ADQ3P

Thanks for the link. Bought and pre-loading. The PC Bullshot thread has me sold. I'm so shallow :(

I'm a big fan of the DiRT series and the first GRID so I'm looking forward to eventually giving this one a shot. I do have a quick question for you guys, though. My enjoyment of the DiRT and GRID games is derived entirely from the SP content (specifically the career) as I really don't have any interest in playing these types of games online. Does GRID 2 maintain the high bar set by previous games in the series regarding the SP career mode?

With some racing game series' I feel like the SP experience has been severely detracted from by a focus on social elements and MP stuff (like with the latest Need for Speed). As long as GRID 2 doesn't follow that trend I'll be looking forward to jumping in at some point in the near future.

Branson

Speaking of wheels, how does it play with one? Ever since I got a wheel I've never played a racing game without one so right now I'm pretty horrible with an Xbox controller. Lack of cockpit sucks but at least it has a hood cam, I guess. That mod looks ok too.

Wow, no cockpit view? What the hell? GRID1 had an awesome feel to it while driving in cockpit view; I could feel, hear and almost taste every bumb and collision! No other racing game has ever offered me such raw and brutal experience.

Guess I have to skip this one for now.

MJLord

Wow, no cockpit view? What the hell? GRID1 had an awesome feel to it while driving in cockpit view; I could feel, hear and almost taste every bumb and collision! No other racing game has ever offered me such raw and brutal experience.

Guess I have to skip this one for now.

Don't let it put you off. The Truefeel system lets you feel every bump in the handling of the car. I'm rubbish at putting things into words but you'll miss out if you dont buy it based purely on no cockpit.

Top Bottom