• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GRID 2 |OT?| Lots of Pre order bonuses!

Addnan

Finally got this game and I feel like a noob, but maybe that's just the muscle car?

What's the trick to getting corners good? I feel like I just can't avoid ramming or going 360 mode unless I really drive slow in a corner. Should I just drift? And if so, how exactly do you drift lol? Is it just using the accelerate button on and off without the brake button?
Yep, drifting.

I usually tap the brake, get the car side ways, hit the accelerator and it keeps you side ways, if you are about to crash either tap the accelerator or play with the brakes a bit more.

Dawg

Yep, drifting.

I usually tap the brake, get the car side ways, hit the accelerator and it keeps you side ways, if you are about to crash either tap the accelerator or play with the brakes a bit more.

Thanks.

Damn these framedrops on PS3 though. Game doesn't seem to be optimised very well.

Mascot

What's performance like on 360? I'm getting the itch for this game and the inevitable price tumble can't be too far away.

Sethos

Banned
Finally got this game and I feel like a noob, but maybe that's just the muscle car?

What's the trick to getting corners good? I feel like I just can't avoid ramming or going 360 mode unless I really drive slow in a corner. Should I just drift? And if so, how exactly do you drift lol? Is it just using the accelerate button on and off without the brake button?

Yeah, as mentioned, just turn the car, tap the brake and then hold down the accelerator to start drifting. It's glorious.

untitled-17du6p.gif

Dawg

Yeah, as mentioned, just turn the car, tap the brake and then hold down the accelerator to start drifting. It's glorious.

untitled-17du6p.gif

When you tap the brake, you release the accelerator right? Or do you tap it while holding accelerate?

Xyber

When you tap the brake, you release the accelerator right? Or do you tap it while holding accelerate?

I'm not entirely sure how I do it, but I think I let go of the gas while I break and turn and then full throttle again.

lol I got a similar one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFelIpB-xAk

and a crash that I thought was cool enough to upload: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJlkh9rIm6Y

Well this is my entry in the barrel roll competition! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlMjZv9qoHA

(also got a crash compilation video in my channel)

I think it's safe to say one of the reasons to love GRID is the crashing and the AI that makes mistakes and makes the game feel more like real life than many others like Forza or GT5, in which they never make any mistakes.

Sethos

Banned

I believe you can do it both ways I believe but I find letting go of the accelerator as you tap the break easier, then when the slide is about to begin you just hit the accelerator and keep turning.

I hate the fact I have to exit all the way out to the main menu to change liveries, why can't I pick an event, pick a car, and then choose to change liveries at that point?

Ha, my biggest annoyance as well. But at least all AI are in racing livery, the absence of which in Forza (and other racing games) I always disliked.

What's performance like on 360? I'm getting the itch for this game and the inevitable price tumble can't be too far away.

Quite good actually, I'm only in the first WSR championship, but framerate seems solid to me. Definitely better / more stable framerate than Most Wanted 2013 on 360. Cars seem to have more weight too, I'm really struggling to get first, but that's fun...until now that is :D

anddo0

I haven't tried one MP match. Doubt I will.

It's one of those games where you're better off starting at the back of the pack, and watching the carnage unfold in front of you, before making your move. If you start in the top three, chances are you'll be spun out, t boned and flat out trampled by the "racers" behind you.

I was having a good race, noticed the number two car was going to overtake me. I'm not a defensive driver so I attempted to give him room to pass. The "driver" saw his opportunity, and took it. However, rather than simply passing me, he decided, he needed to plant me into the wall during the process.. Mind you, there where no other cars in sight :/

Once I hit level 10. I'm done with the online portion of this game, unless I find some friends to play with.

m0t0k1

Screw this game online.. People would rather play destruction derby than actually racing.

It is actually the reason why i love grid so much. The total carnage and mayhem. I do try to avoid ramming people. But when they try to ram me i don't hold back. Also dodging big crashes is the best feeling in this game.

Frillen

The face-off races are so damn intense and nerv wracking, especially in the last two seasons. Actually my favorite type of event.

Mascot

Quite good actually, I'm only in the first WSR championship, but framerate seems solid to me. Definitely better / more stable framerate than Most Wanted 2013 on 360. Cars seem to have more weight too, I'm really struggling to get first, but that's fun...until now that is :D

Great - thank you. I'm liking the sound of this game, muscle cars or no muscle cars.

Great - thank you. I'm liking the sound of this game, muscle cars or no muscle cars.

Welcome. The muscle cars are great tbh. They feel completely different from the muscle cars in, lets say, Forza Horizon, where keeping them on track was a hell of a job. These cars don't really feel as musclecars compared to other games and it's a joy to drive them. In other games, I 'hate' events with musclecars tbh and in GRID 2, they feel really different for me.

Dawg

I'm hearing stuff about destruction derby online, but these last few races... opponent cars have become invisible when they come near me... so you can see them if you're far behind them... but once they're close, you can't hit eachother because the other car turns into a ghost.

Maybe it's a host option? No idea, but it does help with the destruction derby problem.

Aerocrane

I'm hearing stuff about destruction derby online, but these last few races... opponent cars have become invisible when they come near me... so you can see them if you're far behind them... but once they're close, you can't hit eachother because the other car turns into a ghost.

Maybe it's a host option? No idea, but it does help with the destruction derby problem.

Its only a host option when playing online custom events. I really prefer racing in online custom events, you can search for lobbies based on settings and car tiers. You can earn experience and money like usual in custom events.
Drifting online is really fun in a custom lobby with collisions turned off. I actually managed to win one event.

I believe you can do it both ways I believe but I find letting go of the accelerator as you tap the break easier, then when the slide is about to begin you just hit the accelerator and keep turning.

I can't seem to find a definitive method anywhere. I still don't feel like I'm playing this game properly.

MJLord

I've managed to have some really good races in pubs. Had one in the Algarve track where there were 3 of us jostling for position 1. I even got knocked off and was allowed to take my place back by the other guy xD.

It's the luck of the draw though I guess.

Certinty

Performance on the PS3 becomes a huge joke when you have crashes with a large group of cars.

Besides that it runs well enough I guess so I'm not going to complain too much.

Everdred

Absolutely love this game, have about 19 hours online. Starting to have some issues finding games at night though. (2am - 6am central time) It's really a shame and one of the reasons I made sure to play a bunch of multiplayer before I even touched single-player.

I reviewed this for Save/Continue, giving it a 6/10.

The mix of arcade and simulation creates a beautifully frantic and pumping racing engine, but it never escapes the uncomfortable limbo it’s caught in. If you’re looking for a title to help dip your feet into either camp, or transition from one to the other, GRID 2 might be what you’re looking for. Otherwise, there are better choices on both sides.

Foshy

Just got this on PS3. It's better than I expected, actually. But goddamn, it's ugly as shit.

Still, going to have a fun time with this.

That's one hell of an opening sentence...! :p

The 3D one? It's not really that I think 2D racers are bad or anything, but in hindsight, it's the genre that really couldn't have reached the heights it did were it not for the introduction of true depth and spacial awareness. I'd argue it's the genre which most benefited from 3D in the long run. How many 2D racers do we see coming out these days?

Grid 2 is out on iOS?!?

See, I swear this was honestly announced, but it turns out it's just an online/movie viewer after further inspection.

Graphically and performance wise, are both console versions similar?

Also, in reviews some say that there are a lack of tracks. Seeing the track list it looks like a lot to me. Is it because there are a lot of repeated and reverse tracks or is there a healthy amount of race tracks in this game?

schwupp

they need to implemented some kind of punishment for causing crashes - all my online races are decided by that :-/ not fun ..

Everdred

I think this game is a blast but no one is playing online on PC. I went on at 3pm CST yesterday and there wasn't a single matchmaking game open. There were 3 custom games but that was it.

Got the game yesterday for my 360. I'm really liking it so far, the most enjoyable are the drift cars which I can just throw into corners.

I love the arcade style of this game, reminds me of old arcade racers like Daytona, Sega Rally, etc but with that next-gen sheen especially on PC.

It frustrates me that the leaderboards inside the game are all empty! I wish they just had a centralized database for that to fetch from, instead of relying on your friends list (of which I have zero...)

I love the arcade style of this game, reminds me of old arcade racers like Daytona, Sega Rally, etc but with that next-gen sheen especially on PC.

It frustrates me that the leaderboards inside the game are all empty! I wish they just had a centralized database for that to fetch from, instead of relying on your friends list (of which I have zero...)

Same here!

Aerocrane

on the complaining side - why cant i disable my own mic (pc) - how can they miss such an option?
so annoying ..

You have to go into a lobby, and set voice to nobody. It will mute everyone else, and they won't hear your microphone. You have to do it every time you join a lobby though.

Just played Eliminator - Paris in the Career mode of this game with (i think) a Tier 1 car, the Alfa Romeo 4C.

In my mind, this is like the lovechild of Ridge Racer and Project Gotham Racing. So, so good! Especially on PC.

With the online challenges I really like all those fireworks going off as you are driving and drifting around everywhere. It's just a really quick dose of five minutes of fun without requiring the solid time commitment of a sim racer. With my current work schedule, this game just fits perfectly as a little escape before going back to work.

Too bad this game doesn't seem to be getting that much hype. It's just pure racing fun without the craziness of NFS Most Wanted, which I feel went overboard with their arcade physics. Grid 2 gets it just right.

kamspy

Outside of the legit beef with all the pre-order shit, this game is underrated. A great feeling game. That perfect mix of arcade and sim.

Like the best of the last gen (ps2) NFS games.

Aerocrane

Outside of the legit beef with all the pre-order shit, this game is underrated. A great feeling game. That perfect mix of arcade and sim.

For me a perfect mix of arcade and sim is Shift 2: Unleashed. It does go a bit too far with its experience points mechanic compared to GRID 2 though.

The only thing about GRID 2 that I dislike is the fact that pretty much any corner on any track can be driven faster by drifting instead of using a proper driving line. The driving does feel better than the first game, but I liked how drifting was a bit challenging. Now you can just brake, turn and floor the accelerator and turn your tires into smoke. No need for throttle control to keep the drift under control, although it wasn't always necessary in the first game either.

I bought this on PC a couple of weeks ago, but only just got around to giving it a proper look over the weekend. It's fun! I enjoyed the original GRID, but this seems so much more immediate/enjoyable. Live Route is a great mode, it certainly keeps you on your toes. There's a pleasant mix of street/track racing, and the side-events keep things interesting enough. Where it really shines is in the racing itself - all the cars I've driven so far have a unique feel, and the AI is cleverly pitched to be aggressive, but also prone to making mistakes. Graphically, it's a stunner - I'm running a single 680 and there isn't a hint of framerate drop. The Top Gear-esque panning shots pre-race really show off the cities/race tracks well.

It's a great hybrid of early Burnouts, Project Gotham and Ridge Racer... which is probably why I have a big grin every time I play it :)

If anyone fancies some online matches on PC that don't result in first-corner-fender benders, drop me a PM to swap Steam IDs, would be cool to get a little gaf crew going.

yatesl

It's probably been mentioned, but this won't load on my (brand new) PC. Loads the splash screen, then... nothing.

For what it's worth, my specs are:

Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
Intel Core i5 4670K @ 3.40GHz
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (9-9-9-24)
2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770

I should have no issues with this... Tried loading with Kaspersky closed, nVidia control panel closed, latest (beta) drivers...

MJLord

Don't get mad at me if you're in my line and you shunt the back of me only to go flying. You were in the wrong -.-

Top Bottom