• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GRID 2 |OT?| Lots of Pre order bonuses!

To me PGR had a much slower pace to it than the speed that GRID2 is trying to achieve. Not to mention a lot of the cars are tail happy, you would never be able to see where you were drifting. A majority of the tracks are not that wide so avoiding collisions would be a nightmare too.

It's a bit offensive to say that its just lazy development when there are clear design choices at play here. Also there is a post in the steam forum about performance on the consoles as well, it explains some limitations on the consoles and is well worth a read.

I believe that a lot more than this being a "design choice".

MJLord

I believe that a lot more than this being a "design choice".

It must have been thought of. When the game was being designed you think someone just went. "Cockpit mode?", "nah, next". Plus to have had the amount of people on every video pre release going "no cockpit, no buy" there must have been some real desision behind it otherwise why take the risk? Why not just fold and please those people at the cost of whatever downside they must have said about cockpit?

RawNuts

As someone who obsessively cleans his glasses and tv screen, dirt getting on the fake camera lens really annoys me. NFS Most Wanted had this too, ugh.
May I interest you in some Battlefield 3?
post-162172-0-73627800-1329937358.jpg

I can't stand overdone lens dirt though, and it certainly annoyed me in Most Wanted as well. Lens dirt seems to be the hot new effect that a lot of developers want to incorporate now; we even see it used in the Unreal Engine 4 logo animation. I get a feeling that lens dirt is going to be that "next gen" effect we keep seeing like with depth of field and brown color grading at the start of this last console gen.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Sorry guys but haters be damned!

I am officially addicted to GRID 2 Multiplayer and right now I'm having a hard time quitting and going to bed!!! The game is THAT FUN!!!

You guys need to stop your moaning and give the game a chance. The cars, once you get used to them, are a BLAST drive!! Multiplayer's got some very good competition and once get past the wreckers and drive cleanly, you will be surprised just how enjoyable it is racing against other fast clean drivers. I simply LOVE grid 2 at the moment! The tracks, though not many, are beautiful! The Hong Kong circuit is breathtaking and Okatuma is spectacular! The Paris-looking track is a sight for sore eyes as well. Powersliding around these tracks is just too much fun!

Sorry guys I just don't share the hatred you do for GRID 2. I know you wanted GRID 1's super grippy handling but that's not what Codies gave us, so you just need to accept it and move on.

What they DID give us however, is an arcade game that pays homage to the old Japanese arcade racers of the 90s'....Daytona USA, Sega Rally, Super GT, Ridge Racer, etc. Seriously....did NONE of you play and enjoy those games??? These are the games GRID 2 gives a nod to, and I for one, am VERY glad they did!

If drifting around every corner in arcade fashion bothers that much, simply go play something more realistic, like iRacing, rfactor 2, or even Shift 2. This is game not for you. If you're like me however, and love everything about what made true Japanese arcade racing games so special, and love powersliding with a passion, then play GRID 2 and enjoy GRID 2. Yes it has flaws but at it's core, it's becoming extremely fun and addictive for me and It's a very good game!

Hopefully i'll see you non-haters on the track :D

saladine1

Yeah, i'm having a blast with the game. If i'm honest, initially, I had a little trouble adjusting to the handling because of other sim racers I play. I didn't quite know how to approach it with a driving style it deserved. But after some time, I adjusted and I have to say that I really like the handling.
Even though it's more arcade than sim, the cars still have characteristics that belong to each car. An FF has understeer, FR has oversteer and 4wd has a nice balance of grip.
Besides the handling, I'm in love with the atmosphere and progression. I have enjoyed every bit of it so far.

I've come to the conclusion that people must play a game for what it is. If you come in with biases and such, you won't enjoy the game. Leave them at the door and enjoy it for what it is.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Oh there is an OT for this game haha.

So far, been enjoying what I've played so far. A bit arcadey, but nothing wrong with that, when I want sim I'll go play GT or Forza.

jet1911

Besides the handling, I'm in love with the atmosphere and progression. I have enjoyed every bit of it so far.

It's one of the thing I like the most about the game, there's a "real" context for every race you do. Other racing games devs should take notes.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
An opportunistic lunge for cash as Codemasters pull content from the main game only to sell it available day one as DLC?

I have to wholeheartedly agree with this. Despite my praise for the main game, Codemasters needs to be burned at the stake for this shitty anti-consumer business practice. They are straight up taking a page out of EA's handbook with this crap!

m0t0k1

I was kinda skeptical about this game when they first announced it. No in car view and different handling then in grid1. But after caving in yesterday i have to say that i love this game. I missed the Chaos and mega crashes. The fight to the Finnish line and that raw racing. The engines sounds waayy better then in grid 1 and it has a nice visual upgrade. I love this game for the arcade like racing and the chaos and crashes. I got all that + some thrilling races. I am happy i bought this game and didn't regret my purchase.

Dilly

Banned
Ofcourse I had different expectations, it's a game in a franchise that used to be something very different. If you want to make a game like GRID2 fine, but make a new brand.

Saves me more money I guess.

Valravn

I really enjoy the game but online its full of idiots just going full speed into a turn and crashing into you. Its quite impossible to reach first place after that. I hope this is just something people with low ranks do, can someone clarify this?

Certinty

Just finished Season 1.

Just started Season 2 and the game is getting a lot better, hopefully keeps going in that direction.

I really enjoy the game but online its full of idiots just going full speed into a turn and crashing into you. Its quite impossible to reach first place after that. I hope this is just something people with low ranks do, can someone clarify this?

I don't think ranks have much to do with that. There are lots of people who race online like that in any non sim racer.

Playing on PS3, and downloaded the 1.01 patch today. All of a sudden, a game that ran perfectly fine would freeze on the loading screen before a race. Any race.

Deleted the patch, and the game is fine once again. Just a warning for PS3 users.

Playing on PS3, and downloaded the 1.01 patch today. All of a sudden, a game that ran perfectly fine would freeze on the loading screen before a race. Any race.

Deleted the patch, and the game is fine once again. Just a warning for PS3 users.

They must have hired someone from Bethesda.

I have a Headstart Pack code for the Xbox 360 (US) version that Amazon sent me, even though I canceled my order.

If you want it, make a post and I'll PM it to you.

Well that's good to hear about the game, not a complete failure after all :p

I'm tempted but every race I would think about cockpit views and get grumpy, really putting me off playing.

Post Patch: you will randomly hear car noises (passing you by) but there is no one there. Ghost Cars....

Fake AI lap times again? hope not.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
The secret to this game is: ALWAYS BE DRIFTING.

Seriously, it is always quicker (in most cars) to drift around a corner rather than fully brake and take the turn normally like in real life or other sim games. Since the drifting is so fun, it makes the races really exciting and involving.

It is odd that while the game presents itself as having some sim-like qualities, the best way to play it is more like Ridge Racer or TrackMania than Forza. It is a lot more arcadey than it presents itself as.

Career mode doesn't really do anything all that unique, but it is good enough.

I have been enjoying the online quite a bit though on PC. The structure of the online career is pretty neat, the lobbies work well enough, and the racing is really solid. I really like the flashback feature because it solves the issue that every racing game has where races get really boring if you crash and are 10 seconds behind everyone. It keeps you in the race pretty nicely, and hopefully such a feature makes it into other racing games to the extent that rewind has.

That will probably be a problem with every arcade racing game ever. I've seen it happen enough times in online racing games that I've figured out how to mitigate that as well as I can.

If you're in the lead before the first turn, slow down as little as possible (even if you have to hit the wall a bit) so you don't get rammed and spun out. If you're in the middle of the pack, you gotta be mindful of where others are and try to get some space in front of and behind you to avoid collisions, even if it isn't the best line. If you're near the back, just brake early and take the turn conservatively so you can pass the people that crash without hitting them.

For what it's worth, I've had some pretty bad outcomes in the first turn and have come out in the top 3 several times in my few hours online in GRID 2. I think the flashback system in MP helps keep you in the race when you crash moreso than in other games.

D23

is this the best arcade racing game on ps3??

im having that itch.. thinking of getting grid1, this or dirt 3

I am enjoying the game a bit, but the menus are annoying, the faux-hip "yeah Youtube culture WOO!" context is grating, and the lack of cockpit view is death.

Shaneus

"I can't even tell you how many camera phones were focused on you, man!" *quick cut montage of people pressing "like" buttons"

It's fucking terrible.
Sponsored by Nokia? Or some other equally out-of-touch phone manufacturer like Motorola?

That stuff makes me laugh, only because it ages games so damn quickly.

King326

The amount of stupidity surprises me online. I mean if I am clearly faster than you around corners... just let me pass, for crying out loud we're playing Time Attack. Also those level 20+ guys who still wall grind to around corners .... -_-

King326

Wouldn't time attack just be ghost online players, if any at all?

Nope, there is a rolling start with about 5 second gap between all the players then of course the people who can't turn will end up bumping you while you're approaching from the back... and it just ruins it for players like me. I hate the dirty racing people do.

There's as much point to point in GRID 2 as in DIRT 3, I'm being honest. 4 locations, Hong Kong, Okutama, Cote d'Azur, California. Done exactly like in DIRT. Overlapping sections and not that much variety after you race 5 times in each of them. DIRT 3 had Finland, Norway, Kenya and Michigan. DIRT 3 does have 4 more p2p tracks in Trailblazer mode, but GRID 2 does have LiveRoutes in 5 other locations too.

For your question of how much, with the information I gave you above, take a look at the track list here: http://community.codemasters.com/t5/Codies-Blog/GRID-2-Track-List/bc-p/253366/highlight/true#M2024

Amon37

I hate the fact I have to exit all the way out to the main menu to change liveries, why can't I pick an event, pick a car, and then choose to change liveries at that point?

Dawg

Finally got this game and I feel like a noob, but maybe that's just the muscle car?

What's the trick to getting corners good? I feel like I just can't avoid ramming or going 360 mode unless I really drive slow in a corner. Should I just drift? And if so, how exactly do you drift lol? Is it just using the accelerate button on and off without the brake button?

Top Bottom