• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GRID 2 |OT?| Lots of Pre order bonuses!

saladine1

Yeah, the replay cameras are terrible.
What were they thinking?

It's also been a while since I've had to concentrate this hard on a race. The AI is brutal on the hardest settings. You definitely need to be awake.

I'm going to say this again Codies, please introduce an upgrades and tuning system for GRID 3.

GHG

Gold Member
Got the PC version, had it pre-ordered, Just played a few races in the career mode and I'm really enjoying it so far. Yeh yeh its not realistic, its not Sim (I'm normally play sim games with my G27) but this is just FUN. Like PGR fun. Looks incredible as well. Will definitely be posting some stuff in the screenshots thread later. If anyone's wondering in terms of perforance, this is a good port. Running it maxed out, 1080p, 16x CSAA and its rock solid at 60fps with vsync on.

Is anyone going to be racing online at all on the PC version? Any possibility of GAF races on this? If so hit me up http://steamcommunity.com/id/G_H_G

Can you link to that interview please? :)

The starting points do help of course. And starting from the 10km routes enough variety should settle in even if you keep starting from the same area every time you do a new race. Online they can certainly induce (even) more mayhem as may people still won't know many of the nuances of the system. They definitely shine more online rather than offline.

The second video I mentioned is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9se1_6NCbPA
I'm sorry about the quality, I don't know what Youtube did to my video.

Sure no problem. Here's the video with the Paris live routes
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/to9wxo/grid-2-live-routes-in-action
and here's the follow-up interview
http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/51523/under-the-hood-with-grid-2-live-routes-questions-answered

Wow, bought his game on Steam, and it's a lot better than I had expected:

- I always use in-car views, but I find the default view in Grid 2 (very close behind the car), pretty good to drive. It doesn't have the "radio-controlled car" feel of usual 3rd person views in racing games.
- The game runs insanely well on PC. I use the default High setting on my 3-year old AMD 5870, and it looks amazing.
- I really like the arcadey handling model. It's almost Outlook-like, in that, at least in the Japanese cars, you can go faster when drifting. Still no match for PGR's handling, but fun and rewarding.
- Announcer and other voices seem less annoying than in previous Codemasters games.

saladine1

I know Codies has found success with their modern take on Toca, but just wondering if we'll ever see a more 'sim' orientated game?

I'm not talking about making it boring and shit. Copy the same atmosphere, the same authenticity found in GRID but take it back exclusively to the racing track and all that goes along with it.Tweak the physics for a more realistic feel and walla, TOCA 2015.

Perhaps there is a way for the team to expand and offer the 'arcade' experience as well as the 'sim' experience on an alternating release schedule..

Mascot

I know Codies has found success with their modern take on Toca, but just wondering if we'll ever see a more 'sim' orientated game?

I'm not talking about making it boring and shit. Copy the same atmosphere, the same authenticity found in GRID but take it back exclusively to the racing track and all that goes along with it.Tweak the physics for a more realistic feel and walla, TOCA 2015.

Perhaps there is a way for the team to expand and offer the 'arcade' experience as well as the 'sim' experience on an alternating release schedule..

The atmosphere has me tempted, and I did like GRID at the time. All this day-one DLC has left a sour taste though. You basically have tracks missing in the release version and have to buy them separately? I hate that shit with a passion. I'll probably wait for the complete GOTY version or pick it up cheap.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Game is very fun and coming from someone who is a complete drifting arcade racing game nutjob, I can say that GRID 2 has some incredible drifting physics. Not quite up there with the likes of Ridge Racer V or OutRun 2 or anything like that, but it's still pretty darn good. Take a corner perfectly and by shifting the weight of the car the proper way and it's a very satisfying experience.

Mulitplayer is already slowly becoming quite addictive to me. Sure there's a bunch of wreckers, but in a strange twisted way, that's part of what makes it exciting :D Avoid the wrecks and you'll do OK :)

The graphics and track environments are gorgeous.

Biggest beef so far? The game doesn't save my fucking controller settings!!!!!!!! I'm using an ECCI 7000 FFB wheel, CST pedals and a Thrustmaster TH8RS stick shifter.

Tankshell

So I see modders have already added in basic cockpit view to GRiD2... I hope this goes somewhere, I really want to play this using my Rift, having played Dirt 2 and 3 this week and being totally blown away by the experience!

Certinty

Playing on the PS3 and the game is pretty good. Still doesn't compete to the first game though, but I'll play more before making a final conclusion.

xam3l

Playing on the PS3 and the game is pretty good. Still doesn't compete to the first game though, but I'll play more before making a final conclusion.

Playing the PS3 version too. Is it me or with all the effects, chromatic aberration and aliasing, the game plays like if it was a stream. Kinda ugly tbh.

Shaneus

I've bought every single Codemasters racing game day one this generation, except for the awful Dirt Showdown. I'll be skipping this one as well. I don't know who's making the big decisions at Codemasters these days but maybe they need to step down.
If F1 2013 follows the the trend of both GRID and the F1 games, I can only guess there'll be at least one more you don't buy.

Now join me in prayer that Codies somehow lose the F1 license to someone competent. Shit, I'd even settle for a console-exclusive dev... just anything so I don't have to deal with the poisoning they're doing to THAT franchise.

Sad to see Jibbed's anecdotes, too. I was kinda hoping for a sequel to GRID, but it looks like we got a shitty version of Burnout.

Five pieces of DLC on Marketplace already and the game isn't even out until Friday.

Glorious.
How many patches do you think we'll get? Once the F1 series was released from GFWL on PC, we got... was it TWELVE within the first month?

Man, this is $10 sale fodder *at best*. It actually seems like Ridge Racer Unbounded has more realistic handling than this does.

So I see modders have already added in basic cockpit view to GRiD2... I hope this goes somewhere, I really want to play this using my Rift, having played Dirt 2 and 3 this week and being totally blown away by the experience!
Doesn't surprise me. The PC modding community is sensational, especially when it comes to fixing up Codemasters games.

RawNuts

Not being able to toggle driving assists certainly took me by surprise, I wasn't aware of that before playing it. I suppose the difficulty settings only adjust the AI behavior and goal times then. Liveroutes aren't too interesting, and with no minimap or route that you can memorize, I often just guess at how severe a corner will be.

I've started playing races with GT and superlight classes and I must say that the game is more enjoyable when you're in faster cars. It's certainly a fun game to me but lacking a lot of depth to the driving; braking points and the line you take don't seem to be much of an issue, everything seems to be very forgiving with the exception of collisions. I wasn't expecting a simulator, but even arcade racers should have plenty of depth in their mechanics.

I still enjoy it for what it is though.

Shaneus

I see there's a list of the DLC packs already available, but is there anywhere that mentions what they contain and how much they cost in total?

And to echo similar sentiments already expressed here, fuck Codemasters above all else for extracting content from the final game and selling it as DLC. It's a pathetic practise that leaves me really fucking nervous for the F1 franchise. "Hey, you can have all but two of the tracks used in the WDC. Spa and Silverstone will cost you. Pony up".

sneaky77

I see there's a list of the DLC packs already available, but is there anywhere that mentions what they contain and how much they cost in total?

And to echo similar sentiments already expressed here, fuck Codemasters above all else for extracting content from the final game and selling it as DLC. It's a pathetic practise that leaves me really fucking nervous for the F1 franchise. "Hey, you can have all but two of the tracks used in the WDC. Spa and Silverstone will cost you. Pony up".

http://n4g.com/news/1266543/grid-2-dlc-packs-released-today

two of the packs are 560 space pts and 1 of them is 400 I believe, I was browsing that on xbox.com earlier. I think the indy one is 400pts.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
It's weird that Australia and New Zealand retail versions come with a code that unlocks all pre order bonuses from other countries. This is not the first game to do this, Tekken Tag Tournament and Sleeping Dogs are two that come to mind recently.

Shaneus

It's weird that Australia and New Zealand retail versions come with a code that unlocks all pre order bonuses from other countries. This is not the first game to do this, Tekken Tag Tournament and Sleeping Dogs are two that come to mind recently.
Wait what? Really?

Is that all the DLC or is there a distinction between those and the pre-order bonuses?

Also, sucks that technically you probably won't be able to buy GRID 2 retail for PC here. Not that I was going to buy it anyway.

Pimpbaa

As someone who obsessively cleans his glasses and tv screen, dirt getting on the fake camera lens really annoys me. NFS Most Wanted had this too, ugh.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Wait what? Really?

Is that all the DLC or is there a distinction between those and the pre-order bonuses?

I looked at the back of the box on Friday and it listed 3 dlc packs included in the game.

Yay for Aus/NZ. :D

Addnan

So traction control and ABS can't be turned off? Or does it just not let you be specific about what assists you want on/off?
No you can't. I don't know how it would be if you could though, its nowhere near a sim. Lots of drifting is needed, would be pretty hard without ABS and traction control.

No you can't. I don't know how it would be if you could though, its nowhere near a sim. Lots of drifting is needed, would be pretty hard without ABS and traction control.

I just would like the option, even in games where I don't leave them off for every race. It's not a deal breaker, but I'm just sort of puzzled why they didn't put it in, since I think it's been in all the other codemasters games (I don't remember if ABS and TC could be turned off in Dirt 3, but I recall it having a few options).

If I remember correctly, in the original GRID it was faster to corner without oversteer versus abusing the e-brake, outside of a few situations. Is it different in 2? My gripe with a lot of "arcade" racers, even though GRID 1 wasn't exactly a masterclass in car handling, is that all the cars handle and drive exactly the same. I appreciated the variety in GRID, I hope they didn't go all Need for Speed with it.

The online in this is a frustrating experience. Too often, in the lead, you're presented with no-win scenarios. You can either take the corner extremely poorly to try to avoid the incoming missiles, or you get pounded by other racers, off the track. In which case the game decides to punish you further and claim you're cutting corners.

If they're going to include systems like corner cutting penalties, they should go whole hog and have a system where fairly obvious cases of purposeful collisions result in a similar amount of engine cutting.

As it stands, this game rewards the aggressor way too much.

Either that or disable collisions entirely in the playlist settings.

MJLord

The online in this is a frustrating experience. Too often, in the lead, you're presented with no-win scenarios. You can either take the corner extremely poorly to try to avoid the incoming missiles, or you get pounded by other racers, off the track. In which case the game decides to punish you further and claim you're cutting corners.

If they're going to include systems like corner cutting penalties, they should go whole hog and have a system where fairly obvious cases of purposeful collisions result in a similar amount of engine cutting.

I tend to just stay out of the way in the first corner and wait for the carnage. After that you can break away from the pack and do alright with the people who want to race

King326

Agreed. It's frustrating at first, but in the end it's a arcady game so I don't mind it too much. The one time it really annoyed me was I was doing a Touge race, took a corner nicely.. and the other dude outright slammed into me.. the result? I got disqualified. Lol.

Other than that I'm enjoying the online and already have most of the online trophies.

Sounds worse then grid 1 was, that was full of wannabe elite drivers who kick you out of lobbies for not having a mic, and then go waste out a few corners in with their YOLO racing strats.

Codies F1 games suffer too, you can brake test someone and if their car nose touches yours in any way, they get the penalty even though you caused it by brakng early at 200mph, it's so lol.

Xyber

Play with guys you know who aren't dicks, solved! I've only played about an hour of MP in this with a group and we played nicely and just did some light harassing.

MJLord

Is Racenet working for anyone else? If I select the Grid2 option on the site it says I have no activity clocked but I have some on the homepage.

I tend to just stay out of the way in the first corner and wait for the carnage. After that you can break away from the pack and do alright with the people who want to race

Quite, and this has been the sort of approach I've been taking in the last several races. When I start at the front of the pack, though, it can be problematic to even shed those few positions depending on the track/race type.

The one time it really annoyed me was I was doing a Touge race, took a corner nicely.. and the other dude outright slammed into me.. the result? I got disqualified. Lol.

I've had this happen as well, it's weird. I'm not sure what the basis for the disqualification is. I *think* it's that you need to be credited with a hard hit (as opposed to a light hit), but the game has trouble deciding who instigated it.

Sounds worse then grid 1 was, that was full of wannabe elite drivers who kick you out of lobbies for not having a mic, and then go waste out a few corners in with their YOLO racing strats.

It is infinitely worse than GRID 1 was, at least that's what my memories are telling me. I remember there was some serious issues there too, but it may be a combination of simpler systems in play and just more "whackiness", but the game's online community is worse off for it.

Luckily I haven't been popped for muting, but that could be because I'm not sure if the matchmaking lets you votekick. I don't think it does.

Play with guys you know who aren't dicks, solved! I've only played about an hour of MP in this with a group and we played nicely and just did some light harassing.

Only a few folks on my friends list own the title. The largest problem is time zone differences, and if I want to see any online content at all, I have to pair up with randoms.

While I advocate playing only with people you know who aren't shitheads, I don't think it's fair to dismiss issues based on the fact that you can't realistically be expected to play with *just* that group at all times. I don't think I'd be getting anywhere, with any of the online progression locked cars, if all I did was small races with friends. We'd miss a huge chunk of the content that's behind this carrot on a stick wall of level earning BS, if we did.

MJLord

PGR3 wasnt a sim and that view wasnt out of place at all in that game. I dont see why it would be in this. They got lazy.

To me PGR had a much slower pace to it than the feeling of speed that GRID2 is trying to achieve. Not to mention a lot of the cars are tail happy, you would never be able to see where you were drifting. A majority of the tracks are not that wide so avoiding collisions would be a nightmare too.

It's a bit offensive to say that its just lazy development when there are clear design choices at play here. Also there is a post in the steam forum about performance on the consoles as well, it explains some limitations on the consoles and is well worth a read.

Top Bottom