• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Growlanser IV: Wayfarer of Time - Vita Compatible! |OT|

scy

Yeah, until I have my copy, I can't really add much to the thread except posts about wanting to be able to play.

cj_iwakura

Your estimated delivery date is:

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

:D

wofcountdown1.jpg

Wasn't planning to add any more games to my PSP backlog at this point buuuut all of a sudden I feel like picking this up even though I've never played a Growlanser game before. Now just have to decide if I'm going to get this for my Vita or get the UMD instead. >_<

Eusis

Wasn't planning to add any more games to my PSP backlog at this point buuuut all of a sudden I feel like picking this up even though I've never played a Growlanser game before. Now just have to decide if I'm going to get this for my Vita or get the UMD instead. >_<
Safest and most sensible would probably be to get for PSN so even if it's not compatible you can at least play it on your PSP until then. But I'm a sucker for having a physical version, especially for one of the last physical PSP games, so I'm getting UMD.

Safest and most sensible would probably be to get for PSN so even if it's not compatible you can at least play it on your PSP until then. But I'm a sucker for having a physical version, especially for one of the last physical PSP games, so I'm getting UMD.
Yeah, physical is pretty important to me too but playing PSP games on the Vita is just a much better experience, IMO. I've ended up re-buying a lot of my PSP games on the PSN (the ones that are available) and I worry that if I get the Growlanser UMD it's just going to sit on my shelf with 10 other UMD-only PSP JRPGs that I have yet to play and won't get around to for ages most like since I haven't picked up my PSP in months. /sigh

...I think I just convinced myself to get the digital version. Might do that and then see if I can find the UMD down the road for the collection, if I like the game well enough.

Vamphuntr

I'm almost at the end now. Will probably beat it tommorrow. I'll probably start a second playthrough to check the other story branch after I played KH 3D.

It's not very subtle where the story branches at all. You can't choose the other branch option on your first playthrough(all of the options available lead to the same outcome) but you can clearly see what it implies.

Does this game has lot of voices ? ( just wondering )
i imagine not ( given the number of routes ) ..if so are the voices localised or not ?

B.K.

Does this game has lot of voices ? ( just wondering )
i imagine not ( given the number of routes ) ..if so are the voices localised or not ?

The Japanese version had voiced cutscenes and battles. I believe the only place the English version has voicing is the battles. Atlus is really trying to do the game a cheaply as possible. It's a pretty half-assed localization.

cj_iwakura

The Japanese version had voiced cutscenes and battles. I believe the only place the English version has voicing is the battles. Atlus is really trying to do the game a cheaply as possible. It's a pretty half-assed localization.

More than you know.

There's no battle voices either.

I still would kill for this game, but would that have been so hard?

The cutscenes are voiced, that's it, and who knows how much that counts for?

Aeana

They said right from the time of announcement that the only voices would be in the animated cutscenes.
It sucks, but it isn't a surprise. They were very up-front about it.

cj_iwakura

They said right from the time of announcement that the only voices would be in the animated cutscenes.
It sucks, but it isn't a surprise. They were very up-front about it.

I had thought they could at least manage battle quips for the main characters.

B.K.

I see. It's been a long time since the announcement. I thought they were going to be voiced in battles, too. Either way, it's still a very half-assed localization. Especially with the screens on the last page. It's obvious they wanted to do the least amount of work possible to get it out.

Vamphuntr

There are only voices in the cutscenes and there aren't much anyway. It's just weird they couldn't record battle voices. It feels really cheap since you don't get victory quotes because of this.

I'm enjoying this a lot and more than the original. Like I said before they let you change the fate of many characters now. Characters that were supposed to die in the story can be saved in the PSP version. The new playable characters are also integrated into the plot from the start even if they don't join you early on so it really adds to the story. They really don't feel tacked on. Some even have special lines when they attack bosses related to their background. There are new story battles and some of the original are altered now too.

I like the localization overall. It was probably fairly challenging because of the amount of choices in the game.

I'm at the Arena right now grinding for good items ^^

I think I also managed to recruit everyone. My familiar friends' rating screen is completely filled with portraits. I'm not sure but I don't think you can't screw up to recruit the new guys/gals unless you simply piss them off when talking to them.

cj_iwakura

Were the Japanese voices just too costly to license?

So the story goes. Were there any big names? Again, I'm not mad, we're getting the game in English, but we're definitely missing out on the full experience.

And nothing against the localization team, I imagine this was a mammoth undertaking. You'd think they'd want it to get the full respect, though.

cj_iwakura

First Review: 1UP - B
Every character that plays a part in the conflict has different, often reasonable motives to back up to his or her actions; this intricate web of relationships that connects all the folks Crevanille will meet on his journey really makes makes Wayfarer of Time's world feel alive. It's something I haven't experienced in an RPG since the second Suikoden. Although not as polished or well written as Konami's masterpiece -- despite sharing the ability to build your own base -- Growlanser's fourth episode refuses to focus on the hero's playable entourage and a handful of villains like most RPGs do; instead, it takes its time to focus on the big picture.

Wayfarer of Time can definitely be an awkward game, but despite all the sad tropes its infested with, I can't help but recommend it. With its brilliant gameplay, riveting story, and interesting characters, it's one of the best ways I could imagine saying goodbye to the PSP (It's probably the last RPG for the system!) and great evidence that the genre has still a lot to say if you know where to look.

B.K.

With its brilliant gameplay, riveting story, and interesting characters, it's one of the best ways I could imagine saying goodbye to the PSP (It's probably the last RPG for the system!) and great evidence that the genre has still a lot to say if you know where to look.

I guess no one told them about Class of Heroes 2.

LuuKyK

I think I already asked it a million times (and no one answered -_-), but will the game be available on PSN at launch?

LuuKyK

lol well that is what I would call conflicting answers. @_@

Edit: Oh, B.K edited x_x

All right, thanks guys. :) Will buy! Hope it's good.

Aeana

lol well that is what I would call conflicting answers. @_@
What's conflicting about it? It will be on PSN. You will be able to buy it from a PS3 or a PSP. There's just a chance that it won't show up on the Vita's store yet and won't be copyable from PS3s. We don't know that aspect yet, it's up to SCEA. You asked it would be on PSN - the answer to that question is yes.

LuuKyK

What's conflicting about it? It will be on PSN. You will be able to buy it from a PS3 or a PSP. There's just a chance that it won't show up on the Vita's store yet and won't be copyable from PS3s. We don't know that aspect yet, it's up to SCEA. You asked it would be on PSN - the answer to that question is yes.

You said yes, but B.K said no. But he edited. :p

Doesn't matter , it's atlus ..

Anyway thanks for the replies , i was wondering why i don't have even some voices in the trailer, now everything make sense ..

**Already getting a team to do a undub , straight away ...**

cj_iwakura

Doesn't matter , it's atlus ..

Anyway thanks for the replies , i was wondering why i don't have even some voices in the trailer, now everything make sense ..

**Already getting a team to do a undub , straight away ...**

Something tells me you won't be waiting long.

Young Magus

That 1-Up review makes me excited for this game, hopefully it will be vita compatible but if not I still got my psp.

Tomorrow can't come soon enough.

Shouta

Yes, probably. Number of VAs in GL games is pretty huge, this one is no exception. Only a few will be more familiar for folks that aren't like older fans a bit more hardcore. Most everyone else started in the late 90s or so.

Most noticeable for most folks will be Kugimiya Rie who plays Leona, Sakurai Takahiro known for Suzaku in Code Geass, and Koyasu Takehito as Bruntier or however it's spelled. Toyoguchi Megumi is also in there, she did Haruka/May in Pokemon.

B.K.

That 1-Up review makes me excited for this game, hopefully it will be vita compatible but if not I still got my psp.

It's probably pretty safe to assume there's going to be about a month wait for Vita compatibility, like Gungnir and Unchained Blades.

cj_iwakura

It wasn't that we didn't respect it, it was just that there was only so much that was practical or feasible, as we explained when it was first announced.

I really doubt a few lines of dialogue to give your party members some character in battle would've broken the proverbial bank, but I won't get into that since I know that's not you.

Eusis

I really doubt a few lines of dialogue to give your party members some character in battle would've broken the proverbial bank, but I won't get into that since I know that's not you.
Little things CAN add up though, or it may be a matter of locating enough people when they only need to voice fewer people for just animated cutscenes.

Doesn't even often work like that, though. There are times you either have to get it all or get nothin'. I'm surprised voice was even preserved for the animated scenes (though I guess Atlus fought hard for that to make sure the scenes were coherent.).

Any idea when this hits the PSN? (As in what time tomorrow it'll be put on the storefront?) I'd love to get a start as soon as possible.

Volcynika

I see. It's been a long time since the announcement. I thought they were going to be voiced in battles, too. Either way, it's still a very half-assed localization. Especially with the screens on the last page. It's obvious they wanted to do the least amount of work possible to get it out.

I'd rather judge the localization on the entire game, rather than a couple screens and not including voices, but that's just me.

Anyways, copy should be here today. Haven't played a GL game before, I expect interesting things!

Top Bottom