• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(GS) EA workers readying class action law suit against EA

psycho_snake said:
This is the reason that i would never work in the game industry. Sure, it must be great making a game, but if you know that your going to get treated like crap, you might as well do another programming or art job with less working hours and the same pay or even more.
What drives many to remain in the business is pure love of making games. Sure they can get some other job outside of the VG industry that requires less hours but that doesn't necessarily equal happiness. Also, there's this concept called "royalties" or "profit sharing" and I've personally known people that have doubled and even tripled their salaries for a given year, at the end of a project (usually takes 3 months or so). That's what drives me to keep trucking along and absorbing all the abuse that comes with the job.

pcostabel

Gold Member
Crazymoogle said:
Heh.

I really shouldn't be surprised about higher up EAers getting six figures, but can I assume thats on the programming side? (wages like that would surprise me given how desperately every company in the industry wants a dozen programmers...yesterday). Everything I've seen indicates six figure salaries are fairly rare, and far more-so on the art/design sides.

In my experience, six figures is pretty standard for a senior programmer. Artists tend to be paid slightly less, but art directors like my brother in law get easily six figures.

Ranger X

pcostabel said:
Exempt employees are paid an annual wage, not hourly. Their contract states the minimum amount of hours they have to work daily or weekly. Non exempt employees are paid hourly and therefore get overtime. I worked in the movie industry and they pay overtime, while in the gaming industry generally they don't. When you sign a contract, you agree tho the terms. If you don't like it, you can always ask for changes in the contract or just work for a different company. In my experience, the demand for skilled game programmers still far outpaces the available work force. I get constantly harassed by head hunters, if I didn't like my job I could leave at any time. Why EA is certainly behaving badly, there is really no excuse for EA employees to complain. They can leave if they don't like it. Usually big companies like EA hire
junior programmer that need to build a resume and leave after they get their first credit.
And with six figures salary, you really shouldn't be complaining about unpaid overtime.

LOL Sorry, i had to point you out. Your post mean "employers can exploit employees as long it doesn't go against their contract".

Eric-GCA

Banned
Entry-level employees into the industry will always get paid less, thats the way it is. Its only if you're lucky enough to either rise in the ranks in your company, or get hired on at a different company with a higher level that you can earn the better money.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Mr_Furious said:
What drives many to remain in the business is pure love of making games. Sure they can get some other job outside of the VG industry that requires less hours but that doesn't necessarily equal happiness. Also, there's this concept called "royalties" or "profit sharing" and I've personally known people that have doubled and even tripled their salaries for a given year, at the end of a project (usually takes 3 months or so). That's what drives me to keep trucking along and absorbing all the abuse that comes with the job.
I would love to make games, but not under those conditions. Sorry if this is personal, but what are your working hours and do you think your wages are suitable for your working hours

psycho_snake said:
I would love to make games, but not under those conditions. Sorry if this is personal, but what are your working hours and do you think your wages are suitable for your working hours
Up until last week, I've been working 12-14 hour days, seven days a week, for the past 2 months (only taking a day or so off for my kid's birthday and whatnot). I got a new job that looks to provide greener pastures at a much larger and more stable publisher and have had extended conversations about this very topic with soon-to-be new team members. Crunch mode is inevitable in this industry but with proper planning it should be tolerable and has been on previous projects. At times the pay's comparable to the hours but during crunch it's not. the paid time off helps after a project and the prospects of some form of bonus or royalty/profit sharing helps lessen the pain.

Top Bottom