• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guacamelee! |OT| ¡Mexicovania - Olé!

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, I know it's a cross buy. I just don't want to go get a new memory card just so I can play Guacamelee on my Vita.
Dunno if you've made any progress, but as far as I know, if you don't want to buy an extra memory card (something I may concede to myself soon), you'll have to use the backup/account switching techniques for the one card. However, beware as the "sub" account doesn't store trophies properly.

Basically, I use both a UK and JP account on my PS3, but any demos and such downloaded from my JP account won't transfer to the Vita (which has my UK account registered to the card).

Oh, and I guess I should say I'm getting this game asap! Looks like a lot of fun, and a great addition to the Vita's slowly growing library. Cross-buy makes it a definite purchase.

Azull

Ah, defeated the final boss with melee only. Thanks for the tips guys. Even though the second form killed me more than the first, I enjoyed it more as soon as memorized the patterns. The first form was too random for me that I just brute-forced it.

Glad to hear you finished it with melee only! Yeah I found it a little annoying at first but once you get his pattern down he's a piece of cake.

Anyone platinum yet?

2 trophies left, hard mode+hard mode arena...soon...soon...

Haha oh wow.

Legitimate laugh at the end of "Tree Tops" where the chicken tells you you're only half way there, when in fact you're done.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Yup. Now I wonder if I should clear some of the trophies I'm missing right now on this save, considering if I start it on Hard my save will be overridden (there really should have been more than one slot).

The ones I'm missing right now, aside from hard mode ones, are:
- Defeat Chupacabra using only Slam (can't remember who Chupacabra is)
- Achieve 300 combo (what's the best spot for this?)
- Connect six special w/o touching the ground (ditto)

Do the
luchador masks
contribute to the 100% in each area?
I believe so.

Pretty sure the Chupas are the flying dudes with shoot the bullets.

I got the 300 combo in the area I believe in the last zone where you fight a shit load of those small pygmy dudes. I got it naturally just by doing the area "properly". But if you're having trouble, you can just not break their shields and use normal attacks.

Anyone platinum yet?

Just need to finish hard. On the second boss now and he's a bastard.

Ah, defeated the final boss with melee only. Thanks for the tips guys. Even though the second form killed me more than the first, I enjoyed it more as soon as I memorized the patterns. I thought the first form was so random that I just brute-forced it.

The first form isn't bad once you figure out all you need to do is jump and then double jump out of the way. When you land, you hit him with the O attack that's right for his shield. It took me a bit to figure out, but I did it with no damage once I did.
Second form was a bit of a pain to get down, but I had him at about half health and he just got stuck... so I stood there and wailed away until he went down.

Yup. Now I wonder if I should clear some of the trophies I'm missing right now on this save, considering if I start it on Hard my save will be overridden (there really should have been more than one slot).

- Connect six special w/o touching the ground (ditto)

I believe so.

Chupas are the flying dragons that shoot bullets, as noted below. Kill using only frog slam (using down+O).
300 combo can be done anywhere you get an enemy with a color shield left. get them in the corner and just don't break the shield (also noted below). Though I got this naturally in the caverns del pollo challenge 1 on hard mode as well.
Six special -- best place I found was right in the temple at the end -- there's a spot where:
you're a chicken and running through a maze with the red guys shooting at you. there's a room toward the end with 4 giants. get in there, transform back, run up the wall, wall fly, then do some combo of uppercut/headbutt/dash and finish with frog slam.

Pretty sure the Chupas are the flying dudes with shoot the bullets.

I got the 300 combo in the area I believe in the last zone where you fight a shit load of those small pygmy dudes. I got it naturally just by doing the area "properly". But if you're having trouble, you can just not break their shields and use normal attacks.

Yup. All this is true too as I noted above. :)

Do the
luchador masks
contribute to the 100% in each area?

Absolutely.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
What does the switch in the Forest del Chivo do?

It'll open up an area
a little farther to the left. You have to rush there before the timer goes up. You need the Goat Fly skill for this.

More details:
I finally found out what the forest's level does:
You're supposed to switch it on, get out of the small grotto from the left, then climb up to the highest point you can launch yourself into a Goat Fly (to the left). You have to fly two screens to left until you hit a platform, when you drop you'll drop into a newly opened hole... assuming you didn't waste time and level is still triggered.

nampad

What control method do you lot prefer, stick or d-pad?

Dpad feels much better for pretty much everything, it just sucks that you will gimp yourself in fights using it because you can only throw in 8 directions.
Thats why I started using the analog stick again. Still switch back and forth for some platforming. Funnily I seldom prefer the dpad on the vita even though it is good.

Haha oh wow.

Legitimate laugh at the end of "Tree Tops" where the chicken tells you you're only half way there, when in fact you're done.

I stumbled into doing this part and it took me a full hour to do it because I'm bad and it's late but when I reached that section I felt like passing out. Easily one of the best goofs in the game.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I picked this up as an impulse purchase yesterday after seeing it mentioned in the PS+ thread and I'm really glad I did, so much fun. Wasn't expecting all the references to games and popular culture but they're definitely a plus. Love the art style too. Just got the
chicken powerup
which made me laugh. Really enjoying this so far!

Wow, this game is great! I bought it yesterday and just wanted to check it and play it later... I ended up playing all evening!
I think this game has even more game/pop culture references than Lego City Undercover, I like it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Dunno if you've made any progress, but as far as I know, if you don't want to buy an extra memory card (something I may concede to myself soon), you'll have to use the backup/account switching techniques for the one card. However, beware as the "sub" account doesn't store trophies properly.

Basically, I use both a UK and JP account on my PS3, but any demos and such downloaded from my JP account won't transfer to the Vita (which has my UK account registered to the card).

Oh, and I guess I should say I'm getting this game asap! Looks like a lot of fun, and a great addition to the Vita's slowly growing library. Cross-buy makes it a definite purchase.

Yeah, that's the issue, though. I don't want trophies on my US acct, and I pretty much never use it. On my JP acct all the time.

Anywho, I'm enjoying the game. I'm using the vita as a controller and I'm loving that. Amazing dpad, clickt buttons, and a second screen! I just wish it didn't take a bunch of settings to set up every time, but it's a small thing.

I love the way you use abilities for platforming, and I'm really loving all the references (yes, even the internet ones). They're good for a giggle, and that's all I ask from those.

gloone

Ok, I need some help, how the heck do the teleportal things work in the great temple? I cant figure out how to get past the second batch of em.

Same here.

I got it!

Just use the goat fly from the right into the portals.

moozoom

Yeah, the Store seems to have some problems sometimes. When I selected the game from the main store page it gave me a similar error. But when I searched for it I could buy it just fine.
And it's cross buy either way, so buying the Vita version is fine.

Thanks ! Finally been able to buy it this morning by searching through the store for a functioning link (somewhere in the new releases ) The front page link is still busted and error-giving, too bad for the developpers as it could end up in lost sales.

It's downloading now...

No offense intended, but if you don't play your Vita, then why don't you clear something off your memory card since you're not utilizing it anyway? The game is only ~330MB and is a great experience on Vita.

This is a valid question, but I share the vita with the boyfriend which is still playing some games we downloaded earlier (Virtue Last reward, Corpse Party ) And I don't want to erase the saves by mistake. The poor 4gb memory card is busting at the seams already.

This is a valid question, but I share the vita with the boyfriend which is still playing some games we downloaded earlier (Virtue Last reward, Corpse Party ) And I don't want to erase the saves by mistake. The poor 4gb memory card is busting at the seams already.

Do you have PS+? If so then that would have been backing up the Vita game saves anyway. Also I believe that when you do a transfer of the game via Content Manager to a PC that also carries over the save game also?

cluderi

Put two hours into this so far and I'm very impressed (and being an old Zelda fan I love beating up chickens so there's that)

Damn fine job Drinkbox.

Dammit. Looks like a have to buy this game as well although my backlog is huge already. Curse you, Drinkbox!

I have a massive backlog too, just this game won't get a chance to join it, I will be playing this till Platinum now. Then back to my other games :) This really is a great little game and if more sales means more games like this from Drinkbox then I will recommend it to everyone I know!

My friend just posted this on Twitter:

EHyQpba.jpg

Ob7V43o.jpg

I am buying this game right now.

Jaroof

This game is fantastic.
My roommate and I have been playing it for the last few hours, and I can't put it down. It's a blast to play through, the visuals are great, the comedy humor is awesome, and the music is amazing.
Wonder who did the music...

ced

This game is awesome, the platforming reminds me of super meat boy a bit, just the handling I guess.

Game just crashed on me (on Vita). Luckily it was seconds after a save point, though. Hopefully it doesn't happen anymore.

I'm really enjoying it, though. Trying not to finish it so quickly since it's supposed to be short. Maybe I'll start backtracking for missed stuff now.

SmokyDave

Only had a chance to play about ten minutes so far, but I dig it. I have a feeling I'm not going to be terribly good at the combat after visiting the combo chicken, but we'll see. Really like the presentation and I'm looking forward to spending more time with the game later.

eXistor

I love the references and all, but I find it a bit awkward that this (as of now) PS3/Vita exclusive has almost only Nintendo or other references, but no Sony ones.

So far I've encountered Mario & Luigi (poster), Mega Man (8-bit sprite in bricks), Viva Pinata (building), Space Invaders (brick-form), several internet memes, Link (poster), Mega Man E-Tank (poster), Mega Man vs. Skull Kid (poster), Donkey Kong (statue), VVVVV (painting), Castle Crashers (poster), Minecraft, Grim Fandango and of course several Metroid ones (chozo statues, Metroid statues, the game structure itself).

As I said...awkward.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Only had a chance to play about ten minutes so far, but I dig it. I have a feeling I'm not going to be terribly good at the combat after visiting the combo chicken, but we'll see. Really like the presentation and I'm looking forward to spending more time with the game later.

I never used the chicken's combos outside of those training situations, and I still consistently got high combo rankings. It's a pretty forgiving system.

gloone

Game just crashed on me (on Vita). Luckily it was seconds after a save point, though. Hopefully it doesn't happen anymore.

Good luck with that. I've had major issues with the Vita version later in the game.

Minor stuff like room with enemies not opening up again after all enemies are gone which is an annoyance since you have to quit the game and load it again.

And then I've had problems with the game just stopping after beating a boss. The characters just standing there looking at each other. :(

I love the references and all, but I find it a bit awkward that this (as of now) PS3/Vita exclusive has almost only Nintendo or other references, but no Sony ones.

So far I've encountered Mario & Luigi (poster), Mega Man (8-bit sprite in bricks), Viva Pinata (building), Space Invaders (brick-form), several internet memes, Link (poster), Mega Man E-Tank (poster), Mega Man vs. Skull Kid (poster), Donkey Kong (statue), VVVVV (painting), Castle Crashers (poster), Minecraft, Grim Fandango and of course several Metroid ones (chozo statues, Metroid statues, the game structure itself).

As I said...awkward.

I'm guessing these were their influences or stuff they're fans of, what Sony stuff would a Metroidvania developer admire? All the Sony stuff I remember are 3D platformers like Spyro or RPGs.

Yuterald

Game is really cool so far. Can't say I care for Drinkbox's flash-game look to their stuff, but the design of this game is triggering all the right signals in my brain. I enjoyed Mutant Blobs quite a bit too, but this game is leaps and bounds cooler. Hate to use the term still, but when someone does a Metroidvania game properly, it feels good.

Empty

started playing this today. very nice.

design reminds me a lot of outland which i liked very much, the central difference being the combat which is much better here so far, and the watercoloury visuals look so good.

I'm guessing these were their influences or stuff they're fans of, what Sony stuff would a Metroidvania developer admire? All the Sony stuff I remember are 3D platformers like Spyro or RPGs.

well maybe the one that lends its name to the genre title :D

Spaulding

I have a massive backlog too, just this game won't get a chance to join it, I will be playing this till Platinum now. Then back to my other games :) This really is a great little game and if more sales means more games like this from Drinkbox then I will recommend it to everyone I know!

Damn you as well. I just bought the game.

Endo Punk

Thought the use if interment memes would get annoying but it's not so bad. I actually enjoy the mexican spins better lol, the video game references are pretty cool though.

Footos22

As I said...awkward.

Dont forget the cactuar in the desert

Top Bottom