• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guacamelee! |OT| ¡Mexicovania - Olé!

I did it! I climbed the Tule Tree!

But my thumb got murdered in the process, and this was with the D-pad.
ibk8cuivVzVFrk.jpg

Being fair, my problem was my right thumb with the all the jumping, the direction was easy, but stringing together some of those leap combos was crazy!

TheGrue

So I bought suplex and piledriver that say you need to grapple. How do you grapple? If I hit triangle, it just seems to to throw the guy. The move says from grapple to hit down or left and circle for the respective moves.

Endo Punk

So I bought suplex and piledriver that say you need to grapple. How do you grapple? If I hit triangle, it just seems to to throw the guy. The move says from grapple to hit down or left and circle for the respective moves.

After you hit triangle you have a brief window to input the the commands for the bought moves.

are there any differences between the PS3 and Vita versions..?

Exactly the same game right down to the frame rate.

Hanmik

won this game on thesixthaxis yesterday.. (thanks).. played around 1½hour on my vita.. fantastic game man.. the humor, the style, the gameplay .. just great..

will play ALOT more later..

are there any differences between the PS3 and Vita versions..?

Takiyah

I love the references and all, but I find it a bit awkward that this (as of now) PS3/Vita exclusive has almost only Nintendo or other references, but no Sony ones.

So far I've encountered Mario & Luigi (poster), Mega Man (8-bit sprite in bricks), Viva Pinata (building), Space Invaders (brick-form), several internet memes, Link (poster), Mega Man E-Tank (poster), Mega Man vs. Skull Kid (poster), Donkey Kong (statue), VVVVV (painting), Castle Crashers (poster), Minecraft, Grim Fandango and of course several Metroid ones (chozo statues, Metroid statues, the game structure itself).

As I said...awkward.

Sony games didn't exist growing up? :)

Toki767

Jaguar or Flameface?

I was stuck on Flameface for the longest time last night. Eventually I just played cheap. Now I'm stuck on Jaguar, but he doesn't seem as hard since there are no other mobs in the fight.

At least hard mode is kind of hard. In certain places. These guys sure hit really hard. I wonder if some future speed run includes not upgrading health at all. You'd probably die in one hit later on.

I love the references and all, but I find it a bit awkward that this (as of now) PS3/Vita exclusive has almost only Nintendo or other references, but no Sony ones.

So far I've encountered Mario & Luigi (poster), Mega Man (8-bit sprite in bricks), Viva Pinata (building), Space Invaders (brick-form), several internet memes, Link (poster), Mega Man E-Tank (poster), Mega Man vs. Skull Kid (poster), Donkey Kong (statue), VVVVV (painting), Castle Crashers (poster), Minecraft, Grim Fandango and of course several Metroid ones (chozo statues, Metroid statues, the game structure itself).

As I said...awkward.

There are Sony references actually, including one that's far more blatant than any of the ones you just mentioned.

Anyway, I love this game but when it gets hard, it gets really hard. I spent way too long on the Sierra Morena secret area (with alternating platforms) before giving up for now and I'm sure Tree Tops will be just as frustrating.

Guevara

#teamday2

Awesome game so far, glad I picked it up. I was afraid I wouldn't like the melee combat but it is awesome, especially once you learn some combos.

Also: shoutout to the universally awesome music.

Tizoc

Started it yesterday and while I like the music, graphics and am enjoying the gameplay, I hate how Juan has no freakin' personality what-so-ever.
Does he show it more as I progress in the game? ...and do I unlock more throw attacks?

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Yup. Now I wonder if I should clear some of the trophies I'm missing right now on this save, considering if I start it on Hard my save will be overridden (there really should have been more than one slot).

The ones I'm missing right now, aside from hard mode ones, are:
- Defeat Chupacabra using only Slam (can't remember who Chupacabra is)
- Achieve 300 combo (what's the best spot for this?)
- Connect six special w/o touching the ground (ditto)

I believe so.

For the 300 combo when you get into a battle room try and leave one guy with a sheild, be it red, yellow or green. You can just constantly spam the attack button and trap him in the corner. I got my combo up to about 550 doing this as you get bonus gold for every 50th hit.

*edit*

Beaten

javac

Only had a chance to play about ten minutes so far, but I dig it. I have a feeling I'm not going to be terribly good at the combat after visiting the combo chicken, but we'll see. Really like the presentation and I'm looking forward to spending more time with the game later.

You better have not insulted the COMBO CHICKEN! Because you don't wanna mess with the ANGRY ROOSTER!

AWESOMESAUCE

eXistor

Dont forget the cactuar in the desert

I forgot a whole bunch probably, I noticed Castlevania as well (dude whipping a skeleton).

Sony games didn't exist growing up? :)
Neither did internet memes ;)

There are Sony references actually, including one that's far more blatant than any of the ones you just mentioned.
Oh no doubt. Like I said: I must've missed a whole bunch, but I didn't notice one myself. Which one are you referring to?

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Yeah, there are some good billboards. Seen one with Business Cat and Bachelor Frog as well as a Mario Bros one (Nacho Bros?).

Speaking of which, anyone scan that QR code in the secret room? I took a screenshot of it but I don't have anything to scan it. Will upload the image when I get to a pc later.

Toki767

Yeah, there are some good billboards. Seen one with Business Cat and Bachelor Frog as well as a Mario Bros one (Nacho Bros?).

Speaking of which, anyone scan that QR code in the secret room? I took a screenshot of it but I don't have anything to scan it. Will upload the image when I get to a pc later.

Just a message that says "Congratulations! You successfully identified and scanned a QR code! Great Job!" in a bunch of different languages.

This is kind of related to the game. Last month if you spent $50 you were supposed to get $10 back this month. I still haven't seen anything about it and I wanted to use the money on Guac. Any idea how or when it shows up?

Carl

This is kind of related to the game. Last month if you spent $50 you were supposed to get $10 back this month. I still haven't seen anything about it and I wanted to use the money on Guac. Any idea how or when it shows up?

12th apparently...

Tucah

you speak so well
Stuck in the tree right now:

There's a shop in the lower left, a door in the lower right, green wall on the right, door in the upper left. I need to get to the upper left door, I think, but I can't wall jump off the green wall.
Help?

Toki767

Stuck in the tree right now:

There's a shop in the lower left, a door in the lower right, green wall on the right, door in the upper left. I need to get to the upper left door, I think, but I can't wall jump off the green wall.
Help?

Go through the lower right and go up the trail?

Skyzard

Banned
I want to play so bad :( They second my bank lets me, this will be mine.

How are you guys finding the game in terms of replayability? I know there is a hard mode but are you finding it enjoyable to replay it? Especially interested in those playing it mostly in singleplayer - no online co-op :'( [on the vita version anyway]

Will get this anyway but I hope it's fun to play multiple times, would be such a waste of what seems like a pretty great game otherwise, providing they don't have awesome dlc of course.

Number45

Is this game published by Sony?
Part funded with the pub fund, but self published I believe. Steam version is already suspected as it appeared in the registry a while back. I think they've also published a Tales game on the Wii.

EDIT: Looks like I might be wrong on the Wii Tales game, just PS3.

Thank you GAF for the hype. I had seen the name of this game thrown around but I didn't know anything about it until the PSN thread yesterday. I haven't tired it on the PS3 yet, but on the Vita this game is great. The art style and music are top notch and the combat is a very welcome addition to the metroidvania formula. So far I have only beaten one boss but I have already maxed out the upgrades for my Stamina refill (rate and delay), so I guess the game might be a bit short. I am happy to hear that there is a hard mode as well though.

I shouldn't have been surprised by the quality though as Mutant Blobs was is also an amazing game. This developer is definitely a must follow for me now.

jett

D-Member
This game is so fun. The combo system is surprisingly awesome and varied. It's just one of those games that feels fantastic to play.

Part funded with the pub fund, but self published I believe. Steam version is already suspected as it appeared in the registry a while back. I think they've also published a Tales game on the Wii.

EDIT: Looks like I might be wrong on the Wii Tales game, just PS3.

It was entered into the Steam registry back before Sony had anything to do with it and it was multiplatform, so I wouldn't use that as any indication (though a Steam version is fairly likely in like 6 months).

anddo0

Well the game has went from fun to frustrating. I can't climb that stupid tree. I'm not sure where I am. I think it's right after the very first store checkpoint.

Mesoian

They aren't second party, but I think that they're one of the indie studios that Sony wants to keep close to them. I've seen Yoshida tweeting a lot about this game.

Yeah, I think with next gen especially, relationships with smaller devs who produce quality stuff in regular intervals is what's going to make or break the positions of the big 3. Sony and Nintendo seem to be taking the needed steps to make smaller downloadable titles profitable, Microsoft...well who knows.

Top Bottom