• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guacamelee! |OT| ¡Mexicovania - Olé!

I tried to buy this on EU PSN today (several times), but every time I selected the PS3 game to add it to the buy-basket I got a message telling me :

"this item is not yet available"

or something like that.

The Vita game seems buyable (?) but I can't / won't play on vita these days (memory card full, do not want to buy another expensive shitty proprietary card format for a console I hardly ever use )

If I buy the vita game, will I be able to download the PS3 version which is the only one that really interest me ? Have other Eu Gaffers been able to buy the PS3 game ?

have you tried the store from .com?

SxP

I tried to buy this on EU PSN today (several times), but every time I selected the PS3 game to add it to the buy-basket I got a message telling me :

or something like that.

The Vita game seems buyable (?) but I can't / won't play on vita these days (memory card full, do not want to buy another expensive shitty proprietary card format for a console I hardly ever use )

If I buy the vita game, will I be able to download the PS3 version which is the only one that really interest me ? Have other Eu Gaffers been able to buy the PS3 game ?

Yeah, the Store seems to have some problems sometimes. When I selected the game from the main store page it gave me a similar error. But when I searched for it I could buy it just fine.

And it's cross buy either way, so buying the Vita version is fine.

VanWinkle

And Nintendo makes beat 'em ups?

Beat 'em up? Would you also classify Super Metroid as a shooter?

or something like that.

The Vita game seems buyable (?) but I can't / won't play on vita these days (memory card full, do not want to buy another expensive s***ty proprietary card format for a console I hardly ever use )

No offense intended, but if you don't play your Vita, then why don't you clear something off your memory card since you're not utilizing it anyway? The game is only ~330MB and is a great experience on Vita.

hurzelein

Yes, just buy the Vita-Version.
Bought it on my Vita today, switched to my Ps3 and downloaded the Ps3 Version through the Download-History.

Its Crossbuy no matter which Version you buy.

Duffyside

Banned
How do you guys deal with the green, anteater-like (arhcipalegos?) things that go fire mode when they roll? They say you can't dodge fire, and they're right! So... just jump over them? But what about when they bounce instead?

Kazzy

How do you guys deal with the green, anteater-like (arhcipalegos?) things that go fire mode when they roll? They say you can't dodge fire, and they're right! So... just jump over them? But what about when they bounce instead?

Jump + Roll under them.

KevinCow

Banned
Beat 'em up? Would you also classify Super Metroid as a shooter?

There is vastly more fighting in Guacamelee than there is shooting in Super Metroid. You're frequently locked into rooms with waves of enemies. Whereas Metroid, the only times you're really forced into combat are the boss battles.

Saying Guacamelee and Super Metroid are similar games because they share a similar structure has as much basis as saying Super Mario Bros. and Half-Life are similar because they're both linear.

Kinesis's comment was clearly nothing but an excuse to bitch about Nintendo not changing to specifically suit his tastes in an entirely unrelated thread.

But I guess the childish Nintendo bitching is to be expected in a thread for a PS exclusive.

Azull

Ok god damn the Tule Tree challenge

I finally finished it but when that damn chicken said "keep you going, your halfway there!" I just stared at my vita. That was brutal.

Just a tip for anyone else trying it, the end was the hardest part for me but what I did was constantly hold triangle than slowly slide to a good spot to jump, than when I was about to jump I would hit x + dimensional shift.

Worked like a charm for me, hopefully it helps someone else out there :p

Also found this if anyone is trying to get all the luchador masks http://levelsave.com/guide-how-to-get-all-the-luchador-mask-pieces-in-guacamelee/

And Nintendo makes beat 'em ups?

Nintendo was one of the originators of the Metroidvania forumula, y'know... with the Metroid series (and it's pinnacle on consoles, Super Metroid, becoming the benchmark for a lot of games of this type).

Besides... Nintendo didn't really make RPGs until they teamed up with Square to make Super Mario RPG and look how that turned out.

I think the original point was that it's colorful/fresh/innovative/well done/etc. and a lot of the Nintendo franchises has become stale over the years. I could be wrong, but that's how I read it.

Ok god damn the Tule Tree challenge

I finally finished it but when that damn chicken said "keep you going, your halfway there!" I just stared at my vita. That was brutal.

Just a tip for anyone else trying it, the end was the hardest part for me but what I did was constantly hold triangle than slowly slide to a good spot to jump, than when I was about to jump I would hit x + dimensional shift.

Worked like a charm for me, hopefully it helps someone else out there :p

Also found this if anyone is trying to get all the luchador masks http://levelsave.com/guide-how-to-get-all-the-luchador-mask-pieces-in-guacamelee/

That spot was rough.
The section right before the buzzsaws with the wall run was ridiculous.
Took me longer to do that than to do the buzzsaws once I took a few runs.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I don't find it childish to bitch about Nintendo, especially if you grew up with the company, and over time, have, well, grown out of the type of content they produce. I don't think "bitch" is really the right word.

I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Nintendo. I've also been gaming on their platforms since 1985. Unfortunately, Mario, Zelda, and Metroid don't sell me Nintendo systems like they did during the NES, SNES, and N64 era.

Guacamelee, is a charming 2D platformer, which is something Nintendo excels at.

The difference between Guacamelee and a Nintendo platformer is multi-fold:

1) The game doesn't star Mario, or Mario characters.
2) There is a focus on combat in comparison to a Mario (I'm sorry, but Metroid has plenty of shooting throughout, at least from my experiences with Metroid, Fusion, Zero Mission, Super Metroid, and Prime).
3) Guacamelee is slightly more geared towards teens and older, whereas Mario platformers are clearly aimed at younger players(Mario is incredibly childish, and sure, that's part of his charm, but he's clearly a grown man who can barely say anything other than his name).

I can understand the sentiment that Guacamelee has an old school Nintendo charm, even when the genre isn't a 1:1 translation of a "typical" Nintendo game. I can also understand how an older gamer can be disappointed that Nintendo's primary ventures into those genres are using the same characters we've grown up with. I want Mario, Metroid, and Zelda to continue, but I'd also love to see them use all that creativity and passion to create new 2D platforming icons. More action/rpg hybrid icons. More side scrolling "Metroidvania" icons.

Guacamelee is something old and new rolled into one. Nintendo is something old and old rolled into old. For nostalgia freaks, Nintendo is grand. For those that know the place of nostalgia, and want something more, Nintendo isn't where a lot of them are going anymore. Which, is a shame, to me, but I haven't bought a Nintendo console since the SNES (never owned an N64, and my Gamecube was a gift; loved it, though. Never bought a Wii, and the Wii U is low on my priority list).

It's not so much anti-Nintendo bitching as it is expressing that Nintendo's charm isn't working on you any more. Many people feel the same way about Disney and their output over the past few years in comparison to their hayday.

Guacamelee is one of those games that reminds me why I fell in love with gaming back in the 80's. Super Mario Bros 3 will always put a smile on my face, and I imagine that thinking of Guacamelee in a dozen years or so will do the same.

Tiops

Awesome, awesome game. I'm playing coop with my wife using the Vita as a controller, loving every minute of it.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
That spot was rough.
I'm at the buzzsaws right now and they're kicking my ass.

Edit: Fucking finally. X+L2 at the same time saved my ass.

Finally beat the last boss. Besides that boss i didn't struggle with any other. My completion time is 9:14:47 with 57% now on to find everything and 100% it. I just noticed another reference, in the room with the skull girl with the luchador action figure there are sackboys drawn in a chalkboard.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I finally found out what the forest's level does:
You're supposed to switch it on, get out of the small grotto from the left, then climb up to the highest point you can launch yourself into a Goat Fly (to the left). You have to fly two screens to left until you hit a platform, when you drop you'll drop into a newly opened hole... assuming you didn't waste time and level is still triggered.

Edit: The forest is still not 100% yet. Fuck, what am I still missing?

Camjo-Z

This game is pretty fun so far but I could do with less of the internet meme references. Someone on the dev team clearly liked advice animals a little too much.

zroid

Banned
I'm probably not even going to get most of the meme references, so I imagine they won't bother me much, lol

And I like the game references, so that's fine.

Azull

That spot was rough.

I honestly wasn't sure if I could do it, luckily after my 1st death I pulled off flawlessly some how...don't ask, just a clutch moment which I know I won't be able to do again xD.

KiNeSiS

Banned
this game reminded me of this gem of arcade game made by capcom (because... mexico)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOrnQSCAhG0&feature=player_detailpage#t=102s

super fun when played in duo mode over kaillera.

Actually I got that same vibe as per my metacritic review.
The striking & grappling remind of Saturday Night Slam Masters if it was merged into a platformer.

" MikeCthaILLest- Guacamelee! Is what you get when you put Super Metriod/Symphony of The Night, Saturday Night Slam Masters/Fire Pro Wrestling, Old School Super Mario/Mutant Blobs From Space, In a blender & hit puree.

Guacamelee is the Nintendo game I wish modern Nintendo games were. DrinkBox stays out Nintendoing Nintendo. With a billion times the flair & creativity.

Both PS3 & Vita versions are identical with 2 platinum trophies cross save & cross buy. You may not utilize cross save since the game is so great you will have the urge to fully complete on both platforms. "

Rating 10/10

KiNeSiS

Banned
I got through the whole game without figuring out how to use the grapple moves (power bomb, suplex, etc)

Huh power bomb? I only see piledriver, suplex, big boot. Is there a powerbomb?
He has a Frog Splash & Headbutt, but everyone knows any Luchador worth his salt has a hurrincanrana, cross chop, & moonsault. Hoping for dlc.

Any tips for melee only on the final boss?

Edit: like any good boss, it's learning the telegraphed attacks and patience... and a little luck to have him get stuck and stop moving. ;)

Very fun game. Didnt like mutant blobs but this is completely different in style and im a sucker for metroidvania.

But the game has wayyy too many trophies. You just get them for doing the most useless things. I got about 14 in the first hour alone.

Holy FUCK is climbing the Tule Tree HARD. This is way harder than Outland in this specific section with the dimension switching. Using the uppercut in conjunction with the dimension switching is a challenge.

Just need to sleep on it, the twitch action required will come to my muscles after a hearty rest.

Zissou

If you're just looking to play through the game once and don't give a fuck about trophies, roughly how long would it take?

KiNeSiS

Banned
Nintendo was one of the originators of the Metroidvania forumula, y'know... with the Metroid series (and it's pinnacle on consoles, Super Metroid, becoming the benchmark for a lot of games of this type).

Besides... Nintendo didn't really make RPGs until they teamed up with Square to make Super Mario RPG and look how that turned out.

I think the original point was that it's colorful/fresh/innovative/well done/etc. and a lot of the Nintendo franchises has become stale over the years. I could be wrong, but that's how I read it.

Thank You, My sentiments exactly. Who is bitching? I am praising DrinkBox & stating how I relate them to Nintendo when they were at their peak of creativity. That is praise of the highest magnitude & this dudes getting his panties twisted up with a negative attitude. Seems the only one bitching is you?

To answer your question Nintendo made a shitty brawler/beat em up. By the name of Urban Champion.
Besides as much ass kicking as you dish out in this fine title you do just as much exploration & platforming which Nintendo was the king of for so long. If you can't feel the NES/SNES influence on DrinkBox games then you lack soul, brother!

hulkhogan4rh.jpg

Fuck this fighting, enough bickering lets just enjoy this game!

Triz

Finished it, not 100%. The last boss was damn hard and brought me right back to those old days of gaming. But its doable, just have to keep at it. Spectacular title.

If you're just looking to play through the game once and don't give a fuck about trophies, roughly how long would it take?

I just beat it, but I'm OCD and try to find everything.
Took me 8.5 hours.

Speaking of...

I have 1 chest missing somewhere in the final temple.
It is not on my map.

Can anyone help?

I just bought a Vita this morning. This will be my first digital purchase for it (if you don't include my cross buy of All Stars and the PS+ freebies).

The 3 video reviews I've sort-of watched sold me completely.

Took me about four and a half hours. Generally skipping side quest stuff and all that. Leaderboards had the top time of three hours and some change.

I really want to talk at length about what is so fantastic about this game but I'm going to rest the noggin before getting into it. All I'll say for now is that there are a few developers out there who "get it" and I would like to add Drink Box to the bunch.

VanWinkle

Can I transfer save from Vita to PS3?

Yup, if you are on Vita, go to options and select cloud save, and then upload to cloud. Next, go on PS3, go to options, select cloud save, and download from cloud. It will start you exactly where you left off on Vita. Then do the opposite to take it from PS3 to Vita.

okay guyssssssssssssssssss

Totally buying this now. #TEAMDAYTWO

About time.

For those who completed it, how difficult is this game? Are there difficulty settings?

Normal and hard are the difficulties.

If you want to get everything, some of the platforming is rather difficult. A few of the bosses can be a pain in the ass as well.

I'd say it's like a 4/10? Occasionally spiking to like a 6 out of 10 for boss battles and maybe an 8 out of 10 for platforming.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
My first game purchase of the year! Been trying so hard to finish all my backlog before I bought any new games, but this was cheap and getting rave reviews so I caved. #sogood

Holy FUCK is climbing the Tule Tree HARD. This is way harder than Outland in this specific section with the dimension switching. Using the uppercut in conjunction with the dimension switching is a challenge.

Just need to sleep on it, the twitch action required will come to my muscles after a hearty rest.

Doesn't help that my derpy thumb seem to click any direction but up when I'm trying to uppercut during a tough platforming section. D:

That section was tough. It felt good to finally get to the top.

Bastion

So I played it last night for a little while and got through these red spikey vines no problem but now can not remember how to do it. Help please!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
okay guyssssssssssssssssss

Totally buying this now. #TEAMDAYTWO
Same. GAF hype has lead me astray more times than it's lead me to good games... SO YOU BETTER BE RIGHT THIS TIME, YALL. :p

ds8k

So I'm stuck in the Tule Tree. It's right after the part with the dimension-switching to rooster uppercut nonsense. There's a wall that I cannot wall jump off of to reach the platform above and I have no idea what to do. Help!

Top Bottom