• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guacamelee! |OT| ¡Mexicovania - Olé!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
So, my Vita is on the JP store on this mem card, and I only have one memory card at the moment. I want to buy the PS3 version, and then somehow transfer the Vita version of the game over to my Vita via USB.

Is this possible, or do I have to download from the store directly to the Vita?

ds8k

So I'm stuck in the Tule Tree. It's right after the part with the dimension-switching to rooster uppercut nonsense. There's a wall that I cannot wall jump off of to reach the platform above and I have no idea what to do. Help!

Nevermind I'm an idiot.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I know that the PS3 download has the Vita version automatically packed with it. Not too sure about putting it on JPN account, though.

Oh, I know it's a cross buy. I just don't want to go get a new memory card just so I can play Guacamelee on my Vita.

nampad

Damn you drinkbox and your tule tree for showing my lack of platforming skill. Tried so hard for that one treasure before giving up just to have another hard section in front of me.

Just played this for the 1st time for about an hour and its way better than I had hoped. It didn't look that impressive from the 2 videos I watched but it definitely delivers on all fronts.

Love all the humor, the signs all over and dialogue are great and even some of the platforming early in the game is really clever.

Can't wait to sink more time into this game!

Oublieux

All this talk about this game is tempting me so badly to buy this game; the PS3 PSN version comes packed with the Vita one as well, right? So it's a crossplay game which makes the deal sweeter...

So satisfying to figure out the lever in the forest on my own, but I imagine most people would never figure it out with a guide.

Finished the game again with the
good ending, which, if not for the trophy popup, I would have thought was the same ending at first and I started to get pissed
. The final boss sure is easy when you're not sleep deprived and already know the strategy.

Azull

Ok, I need some help, how the heck do the teleportal things work in the great temple? I cant figure out how to get past the second batch of em.

I hope Im not blowing through the game, got the headbutt, I want to take my time with it and find goodies and do side missions, completing a side mission is always in the same vicinity, correct?

Seeing videos before hand I was worried the combat would be bad, as it didn't look great. But I just finished it and the whole game is fantastic. It's like Outland, but even better.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
So satisfying to figure out the lever in the forest on my own, but I imagine most people would never figure it out with a guide.
I figured it out by myself and it did indeed feel good. The only part I used a guide for was how to get to the Luchador Mask in Sierra Moeran. I wish I didn't give up so soon because it was right under my nose, yet so cleverly disguised.

I have to say, there some real brains behind some of the platforming and puzzles. Drinkbox really outdid themselves and delivered a tight, cohesive and fully realized game.

Mutant Blobs was decent, but this is a different beast.

Caved in to the GAF hype and bought this despite no demo. Hope it's as good as the praise it's getting. Please indie devs, put up a demo on PSN for crying out loud.

Same. GAF hype has lead me astray more times than it's lead me to good games... SO YOU BETTER BE RIGHT THIS TIME, YALL. :p

This isn't Scribblenauts, Guacamelee is actually good.
Caved in to the GAF hype and bought this despite no demo. Hope it's as good as the praise it's getting. Please indie devs, put up a demo on PSN for crying out loud.

Someone told me that PSN demos are at the cost of the developers, the bandwidth downloaded is charged back to them- so indie devs never do demos.

This isn't Scribblenauts, Guacamelee is actually good.

Someone told me that PSN demos are at the cost of the developers, the bandwidth downloaded is charged back to them- so indie devs never do demos.

It's weird that you can't download just the demo when you download a demo and unlock key when you buy it.

Also, being two chests away from 100% would be pretty sweet if I had any idea where the last two would be and they weren't hidden in the two largest, most annoying to navigate areas. Does the final item count toward the percentage? Because then it would be one and I would feel 100% better about it.

Edit: Found one, one more to go, and of course it's in the last level.

Edit 2: That wasn't so bad. 100%!

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I can't find the cheese for the ingredient quest anywhere. That quest's the last thing I need for 100%. Help?

Man, that treetop orb was nuts. Most frustrating platforming difficulty since 'The Kid' levels in Super Meat Boy.

VanWinkle

I'm stuck at the Tule Tree. I don't know how to continue up. I have links here to screenshots showing my location, both in gameplay and on the map. Hope somebody can help me here.

In game

On the map

Spoiler details:

This is the room where I just got the ability to double jump. I went down to a couple of lower levels but it seems to lead me to only places I've already been, and I don't want to go down ALL the way to the bottom unless I have to.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I'm stuck at the Tule Tree. I don't know how to continue up. I have links here to screenshots showing my location, both in gameplay and on the map. Hope somebody can help me here.

In game

On the map

Spoiler details:

This is the room where I just got the ability to double jump. I went down to lower levels but it seems to lead me to only places I've already been, and I don't want to go down ALL the way to the bottom unless I have to.

go back down and enter a doorway on the left

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches

In game

On the map

Spoiler details:

This is the room where I just got the ability to double jump. I went down to a couple of lower levels but it seems to lead me to only places I've already been, and I don't want to go down ALL the way to the bottom unless I have to.
If I'm not mistaken,
you should go back to the checkpoint appearing in your map screen cap. Right above it should be a door that takes you to the left. I *think* this door is only reachable with the double jump.

I can't find the cheese for the ingredient quest anywhere. That quest's the last thing I need for 100%. Help?

Man, that treetop orb was nuts. Most frustrating platforming difficulty since 'The Kid' levels in Super Meat Boy.

hmm I just found that, I believe its somewhere at the bottom, person outside.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
"Defeat Calaca using melee attacks" is a little vague since all my attacks are technically melee. Do they mean regular punches (square), Goat specials, or grabs (triangle and/or circle)? Also, how easy is it to pull this?

Tule Tree was hard, I also find that some of the platforming is annoying as you almost have to fail to work out what you are meant to do next, often meaning starting all over again at the bottom. Not too sure how far through I am right now
not long beaten flame face
actually found that fight easier than the first boss battle.

Really loving this game though and can't seem to put it down, was playing till about 11 last night and then woke at 3.30am this morning and played for another two and half hours. Guess I'm going pretty slow but I am back tracking as I get new abilities to clear bits I was previously unable to.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Those who're complaining about Tule Tree on their first try will probably rage when have a go at the Luchador Mask challenge.

I love everyone "going out on a limb" for a $15 video game.

You guys are cheap as hell
I resent this post.

Azull

"Defeat Calaca using melee attacks" is a little vague since all my attacks are technically melee. Do they mean regular punches (square), Goat specials, or grabs (triangle and/or circle)? Also, how easy is it to pull this?

Spoilers ahead so be careful if your not at the end:
So I was confused by this aswell, he actually has two forms and his second form his where this trophy comes in to play. There will be fireball things that constantly drop from the sky that you can pick up. Don't pick any up (So just stay away from the triangle button) and just use your melee attacks and thats it. I highly recommend everyone to do this trophy now since it will be much more difficult on hard mode.

What control method do you lot prefer, stick or d-pad?

Most of the time it was the stick just cause it was a lot more comfortable, but man the d-pad is down right necessary for the challenges (If your trying to 100% the game). Like no contest, if you are trying to 100% the game, start getting use to the d-pad.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Spoilers ahead so be careful if your not at the end:
So I was confused by this aswell, he actually has two forms and his second form his where this trophy comes in to play. There will be fireball things that constantly drop from the sky that you can pick up. Don't pick any up (So just stay away from the triangle button) and just use your melee attacks and thats it. I highly recommend everyone to do this trophy now since it will be much more difficult on hard mode.
Gotcha, thanks!

About 3 hours into the game, and I think it's really good. It's probably my favorite so far of 2013, from what little I've played.

I can never get enough Metroidvania games. With this and Dust, we've had some great ones recently. Now all we need is a new Iga game.

thetrin

Such a weird little issue with the Vita. Really wish we could have multiple accounts per card.

I agree. I have all my trophies on my JP acct, and only use my US acct for buying Western games. It's a real pain.

jwk94

Screw this Tule Tree, it's hard as hell.
LLShC.gif

KevinCow

Banned
I didn't find Tule Tree that hard. Just don't rush. Remember that you can hold Triangle to stick to walls as long as you want so you can take a breather and plan your next step.

So far I've got 100% in everything but the big village and the final area. I only have 62% in the village, no clue what I'm missing there... but I want to finish that up before I go on to the end. Any hints?

About how long is the game? I plan to buy anyways but just curious.

Took me 8:30 hours to beat it and find all but 1 of the treasures (and get 90% of the trophies).

I'm on hard now. This could take a bit.

Just talk to people in living dimension in the town. He's down toward the bottom, near the cavern del pollo entrance.
The beans are just under the chef house to the left.
The chilles are somewhere in the middle of town in the dead world.
The tortillas are on a chick just below and right of the chef house.

Basically talk to everyone and you'll find them. If they mention one of those 4 ingredients, make a note and then go back to them when the chef tells you what she wants next.

Just need to do a hard mode playthrough and the platinum is mine. What are the changes in hard mode anyways?

No carry over of items/techniques/anything.
Enemies take more hits and do more damage.
Bosses get new attacks and become a real fucking headache.

What control method do you lot prefer, stick or d-pad?

D-fucking-pad. I find myself sliding to stick sometimes, but then combat hits and I'll get a rooster uppercut instead of a dash derpderp or something which is infuriating.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Ah, defeated the final boss with melee only. Thanks for the tips guys. Even though the second form killed me more than the first, I enjoyed it more as soon as I memorized the patterns. I thought the first form was so random that I just brute-forced it.

Top Bottom