• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guacamelee! |OT| ¡Mexicovania - Olé!

Duffyside

Banned
Well the game has went from fun to frustrating. I can't climb that stupid tree. I'm not sure where I am. I think it's right after the very first store checkpoint.

Heh, I just came into this thread to say that this game has gone from really good to damn awesome because of the tree. There was so truly tricky platforming in there, which I found unexpected and very enjoyable.

Number45

Someone earlier in the thread accused this of looking like a flash game and I can't for the life of me work out why.

Was thinking about making a video of the Tule Tree since apparently a ton of people are having trouble with it...that would require free time though =\.
Nooo... let them work it out for themselves! Best part of the game so far (just got the last power) as far as I'm concerned - reminds me of Rayman and Sound Shapes, which are two of my favourite Vita games.

Heh, I just came into this thread to say that this game has gone from really good to damn awesome because of the tree. There was so truly tricky platforming in there, which I found unexpected and very enjoyable.
Yup.

Aww damn, I missed the cutscene (pressed Start) about Calaca's backstory, after you defeat
X'tabay
. Anyone knows if there's a link or something where I can watch it?

papercamm

It's always there, but it's never shoved in your face. You can look past it with ease.

It's pretty much there all the time but the game is so much fun that you just look past it, I do think its misguided though, this stuff is already outdated and it just feels lazy.

Some of the gaming nods were OK but the dumb internet humor has got to go. Oh well, everything else was good/great so they get a pass!

I thought as much, thanks :)
As long as Grumpy Cat isn't an actual character.

Teggy

Aww damn, I missed the cutscene (pressed Start) about Calaca's backstory, after you defeat
X'tabay
. Anyone knows if there's a link or something where I can watch it?

No, but basically
He was a fighter that made a deal with the devil to win the championship, but the devil takes his soul before he can claim the prize. He is so angry he manages to defeat the devil and takes over as ruler of the land of the dead.

PaulloDEC

Well the game has went from fun to frustrating. I can't climb that stupid tree. I'm not sure where I am. I think it's right after the very first store checkpoint.

Oh... I'm just about to start that bit.

Game has been fantastic thus far. Wish me luck.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Just ended my first session. Stopped at the dreaded tree, leaving that for tomorrow. I love this game. It's metroidvania-lite (especially with all the hand holding as to where the upgrades are), but it's got just the right variation between exploration, combat and platforming. I like the colored shield system, makes you use the entire move arsenal.

Anybody got a hint as to
where I can find the mariachi guy? I've looked all over town but I can't find him, maybe I still need an upgrade.

jett

D-Member
Just ended my first session. Stopped at the dreaded tree, leaving that for tomorrow. I love this game. It's metroidvania-lite (especially with all the hand holding as to where the upgrades are), but it's got just the right variation between exploration, combat and platforming. I like the colored shield system, makes you use the entire move arsenal.

Anybody got a hint as to
where I can find the mariachi guy? I've looked all over town but I can't find him, maybe I still need an upgrade.

Can you break blue barriers yet? One of the houses in the town has a blue barrier in it.

daevv

I got through the tree last night, other than a few hairy parts it wasn't too bad. I'm glad I'm playing it on PS3 as I do not think I could of done any of the tough platforming using the Vitas button layout.

Cess007

I got through the tree last night, other than a few hairy parts it wasn't too bad. I'm glad I'm playing it on PS3 as I do not think I could of done any of the tough platforming using the Vitas button layout.

I passed that part on the Vita last night, and i didn't find it as frustrating as others (although, no doubt, it was tricky!); you just need to get the timing right with the dimension swapping :)

Markun

Just got the platinum trophy not too long ago. Now that was great fun! Hard Mode wasn't too bad and I actually had fun with the bosses this time since I memorized their attacks. The extra damage that the bosses did made for really tense battles on hard.

I'm also first on the Speed Run 100% Hard leaderboard (I'm MihashiBonne), so yay for that!

I'm going to enjoy my bliss while I wait for the inevitable event of everyone and their mother beating my time.

Sky Chief

RvDVYxC.jpg

What!? Why does Rising say it's on Vita?

Toki767

Platinum trophy is mine! Had a lot of fun with the game. The final boss kills me in two hits since I barely had any health upgrades. That certainly was interesting.

VanWinkle

What!? Why does Rising say it's on Vita?

Those are in the PlayStation Network tab, meaning your trophies from all PlayStation platforms. Vita only trophies are in the PS Vita System tab.

Edit: oh I see what you're saying. Yeah there's a couple games like that that are PS3 only yet say Vita AND PS3. Its just a mistake. Some kind of database error or something.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but has anybody else notice something "off" about the surround audio mix? Like music plays in the front speakers, but my characters sounds (attacks, etc.) are coming from the surround channels. It's weird and kind of distracting, so I have to set my receiver to stereo when playing.

edit: Oops... looks like this was briefly mentioned in the thread already. Sorry.

jett

D-Member
Oh hell there's only one save file? Starting a new game overwrites the previous save. Why would you do that?

Shane86

Copied save from ps3 version to cloud 30 minutes ago. Tried to download save from cloud on vita and it keeps failing?

Ourobolus

Banned
Picked this up the other day. It's been great for my plane rides the past couple of days. I've 100% all of the areas except Sierra (man...fuck that Tree Top area. Can't believe I made it). On my way to the final boss.

Good game, decent sense of humor -
I lost it at the Journey dude on the slope of the mountain
- I needed a good Metroidvania (or something close to it), thanks GAF.

Hey Kassatsu, got my platinum. Where's my luchador mask? ;)

Copied save from ps3 version to cloud 30 minutes ago. Tried to download save from cloud on vita and it keeps failing?

Are you using the game's cloud or the PS+ cloud?
PS+ cloud doesn't cross into each other.

[on your PS3]: Options > Cross-Save (Options) > Upload
[on your Vita]: Options > Cross-Save (Options) > Download

I've done it multiple times tonight alone.

Anyone with a 6.1 setup having problems with the audio? The game is actually putting out 6.1 instead of 5.1 like most games and it's seemingly sending all center channel sounds to the rear center. I'd rather not go and mess with audio options in the XMB every time.

Anyone with a 6.1 setup having problems with the audio? The game is actually putting out 6.1 instead of 5.1 like most games and it's seemingly sending all center channel sounds to the rear center. I'd rather not go and mess with audio options in the XMB every time.

I think the surround mix for this game is just kind of messed up in general. See my post just a little ways up. I've just chosen to set my receive to stereo when playing this game, or one of the surround simulation modes, instead of true multichannel audio.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Goddamn. The dodge mechanic is so well done and satisfying in this game. The responsiveness, the visual effect, sounds effect, and slight pause... they all give a great feedback. I love it.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Six special -- best place I found was right in the temple at the end -- there's a spot where:
you're a chicken and running through a maze with the red guys shooting at you. there's a room toward the end with 4 giants. get in there, transform back, run up the wall, wall fly, then do some combo of uppercut/headbutt/dash and finish with frog slam.
It took me a couple of tries (the red skeletons *were* annoying) but with the right timing and performance of skills in that order it worked like a charm.

Thanks a lot for this tip.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
For those of you who finished this on hard: How many heart and stamina pieces did you go for? I wanna finish the hard run quickly, but I don't wanna be frustrated from being too underpowered.

Edit: Ugh, sorry about the dp.

nampad

Finished it, what a great game. Only realised at the final boss after several tries that you can actually duck *facepalm*.

Like the ending.

Is there a list of the quest givers and where they are at. I am near the end of the game and haven't found the chicken thief or the solution for the enchilada one.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Is there a list of the quest givers and where they are at. I am near the end of the game and haven't found the chicken thief or the solution for the enchilada one.
Enchilada:
There are 4 ingredients, all in the open area of the town. Although the chilis are in the Dead version of it.

Chicken thief:
You'll find the chicken in the first house you pass by in that town, the one right next to the Viva Pinata home.

calder

I'm not sure I'll really like this based on genre, but it looks great and the music in the trailer was aces, so I bought it anyway.

Takuhi

New Vita owner here, not sure how this cross play business works...

I want to play it on the Vita, but my Vita is set to Japanese region, and I'd prefer to keep it that way. Can I buy it from a US account on my PS3 and then copy it over and play it without having to do the whole reset/add new account business on the Vita?

New Vita owner here, not sure how this cross play business works...

I want to play it on the Vita, but my Vita is set to Japanese region, and I'd prefer to keep it that way. Can I buy it from a US account on my PS3 and then copy it over and play it without having to do the whole reset/add new account business on the Vita?

No.
Only purchases from the account associated with your Vita can be transferred.

jwk94

So since the
masks
count toward the 100% in each level and I'm not in a head-hunting mood right now, is there a way to tell if I've gotten all of the other items in a level?

Duffyside

Banned
Been bemoaning the lack of (good) platformers all year. Now I've had Sly 4 and Guacamelee in the same year, neither one of which did I expect to be nearly as good as they are.

If a new, awesome 3D Mario does come out this year, I won't complain about a lack of (good) platformers for another five years.

Sure, go ahead and spoil one of the rare actually funny moments in the game

Goddamn. The dodge mechanic is so well done and satisfying in this game. The responsiveness, the visual effect, sounds effect, and slight pause... they all give a great feedback. I love it.

The best thing is that it cancels your attacks. I'm linking so many specials together and rolling through enemies/attacks to keep combos going. It's a simple system, but it's very satisfying, the directional specials work out really well

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Okay, the game glitched on me twice during my ongoing hard mode run:

- First bug: After my first encounter with Calaca, and after he slays me and get I get transported to the land of the dead, as soon as I exit the area an invisible NPC will automatically start begging me (again) to investigate the president's mansion after the explosion, which I already did at this point. This prevents me from going further into the town and forces me back. As soon as I go back the whole conversation with Calaca is triggered for a second, and he ends up killing me again, even though I'm already dead and in the land of the dead. It continued on and on until I had to quit.

- Second bug: When I backtracked from the desert to the first town to talk to whatever-her-name is, we start the fight that should end up in me persuading her to give me a power(?). Usually this fight would pause after I deplete half her HP, but this time the fight got bugged in that her rage mode (where the floor is covered with spikes) didn't go away when said scene was triggered. So now my character is automatically trying to approach her to trigger the conversation but is being damaged by the spikes until he dies.

Hopefully this second bug doesn't persist, because it's starting to piss me off.

leroidys

This game is so much fun. The combo system is surprisingly great. I think I'm getting near the end though, and while I've had a fun romp, I don't know if I see this as something that I'll come back to. Maybe for co-op.

I got to the fourth stage before I spiked my controller.

It's like a poorly designed meatboy level. Fuck that nonsense.

Do the jump + uppercut near the wall but not so near that you stick to the wall when you jump, then swap dimensions. The first bit is the only hard part, the rest gets more manageable. That's how it worked for me. Also, resting on it after a long sitting of playing the game to recover your muscles helps :p

Top Bottom