• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guacamelee! |OT| ¡Mexicovania - Olé!

anddo0

Can't climb this stupid tule tree

Someone please tell me how to conquer to what I think are my least favorite parts of this game.

EDIT: Yes I am aware of the rooster uppercut and No, it's not helping.

I made it to the checkpoint right after this area, and walked away for the day. I didn't expect the platforming to become this challenging.. Today I complete the climb.

Number45

How do I get to the platform (out of sight) to the right?

9IowsCL.jpg

I can't go back (out of Sierra Morena) I barely made it up with an insane pixelperfect jump with doublejump and uppercut at the start of this area. Am I missing an ability or something?
I double jumped through it (hit the second jump as you're moving sideways to make it a more flat second jump, then derped across - I think I might have needed the uppercut at the end as well, not sure on that one.

Using derp as a verb is marvellous.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I can't go back (out of Sierra Morena) I barely made it up with an insane pixelperfect jump with doublejump and uppercut at the start of this area. Am I missing an ability or something?
Jump > Blue dash (time it to pass between the vines) > double jump > uppercut if necessary.

Number45

Also, someone asked about the soundtrack earlier. From the official site Q&A page:

Where can I find the amazing SOUNDTRACK?
We’re hoping to make it available, soon. We’ll be sure to let everyone know when it’s available. Check out the composers’ websites: http://www.peterchapman.ca/ and http://www.romdiprisco.com/

:)

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Finally...

Fantastic game. If it wasn't for my extra glitchy Hard mode run, I would've declared it the most polished and complete indie game I've played in the past two year... so close though.

PaulloDEC

You guys having trouble with the phase switching platforming in this game should give Outland a shot.

There's a reason I never finished Outland, and it wasn't because I didn't like it.

I'm finding Guacamelee a lot less punishing, thankfully. Just finished the Tree climb on Vita. Hands aren't feeling super comfortable right now, so I guess that means break time.

Can't climb this stupid tule tree

u1T0Rfn.jpg

Someone please tell me how to conquer to what I think are my least favorite parts of this game.

EDIT: Yes I am aware of the rooster uppercut and No, it's not helping.

I did this a different way to everyone else it seems. I used jump->uppercut->walljump->headbutt (to stop him dead and not over shoot the platform).

I'm now stuck on the bit after you get the
double jump
and there are red vines arranged in a cross formation and you have to go around and up in a clockwise direction. Do I need to backtrack and get a new ability?

ta9qi

im trying to get 100% in this game without reading faqs or watching youtube videos..its so challenging and fun when doing all the work and solving the puzzles by yourself, even when searching for the hiddent temples..until now im 96%
Santa Luchita = 90%
forest del chivo = 88%
pueblucho = 87%
those what left for me
one thing that made me desperate though is a
lever in "forest del chivo" when i pull it something happen, but i cant figure what & where :/

Skilletor

The platforming in this game feels SOOOOOOOOOOOOO good. Feels nice to have some challenge in timing jumps. It's been a long time since that's happened.

Protocol7

Is there anything on a Steam version? I have issues buying anything on PSN now... I don't see the point if it doesn't carry over to the new PSN... (except if I didn't get it right...)

Edit: oh wait this is a Sony exclusive?

Is there anything on a Steam version? I have issues buying anything on PSN now... I don't see the point if it doesn't carry over to the new PSN... (except if I didn't get it right...)

Edit: oh wait this is a Sony exclusive?

Someone pointed out it was added to the steam registry so i guess it will come out there at some point. Just not right now.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Oh what the hell, I can now
fly in chicken form.
I guess that's an effect of getting five orbs?

That is awesome! I never would have realized that. I was puzzled by the message that appears when you get the fifth orb, and didn't even think to try that. Really awesome.

I 100% completed all of the areas, and am now working my way through the final area to defeat the boss. My current game time reads 8:29:01. I'll probably top off at 9 when all is said and done. This has been a great experience.

ta9qi

I 100% completed all of the areas, and am now working my way through the final area to defeat the boss. My current game time reads 8:29:01. I'll probably top off at 9 when all is said and done. This has been a great experience.
can you help me with my issue :(
one thing that made me desperate though is a
lever in "forest del chivo" when i pull it something happen, but i cant figure what & where :/
i think this is what only left for me to master the forset
and congratz for the 100% amigo

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
They'll come in real handy when you reach the top of the tree to attempt the
buzzsaw portion of the Luchador Mask challenge.

Good god man, that...that was rough. It really did take all of the things that I had learned up until that point. I think I spent a good 30 or 40 minutes trying to do that.

9IowsCL.jpg

What I do:

Jump forward, then double jump when you get so close to the spikes that you are going to touch, then double jump in between them. Immediately after that double jump, use the dash punch to send yourself forward, and at the end of that dash punch, use the uppercut to get the height and forward momentum to land you on the platform.

Nags

Banned
I double jumped through it (hit the second jump as you're moving sideways to make it a more flat second jump, then derped across - I think I might have needed the uppercut at the end as well, not sure on that one.

Using derp as a verb is marvellous.

Fucking hilaaaaarious.

Jacobbles

Goddamn these Hard Mode bosses don't mess around. I'm up to X'tabay and having a really tough time. I have no idea what I'm gonna do when I get to the later bosses ._.

Someone pointed out it was added to the steam registry so i guess it will come out there at some point. Just not right now.

AGAIN, the registry entry means nothing. It was originally planned as a multiplatform game but then Sony got involved and it became exclusive. There's a chance they'll port it to other systems later on but I wouldn't rely on that entry to prove it's happening, as it was from before it became exclusive.

MicH

I can't beat those damn yellow guys with Bombs appearing constantly in Tule Tree. About to give up :( Thy're way too fast for me

Kazzy

Has anyone got a good guide that I can reference to sweep up the remaining treasures? The only one I could find had bad location descriptions.

TheMink

Just beat it, going to guess the 300 hit combo is a hard mode thing? Enemies didnt seem to have enough health.

Also, I have 93% in the desert area, what am i missing?

Pretty much enjoyed it. Good game for sure.

Kazzy

Just beat it, going to guess the 300 hit combo is a hard mode thing? Enemies didnt seem to have enough health.

You just encounter an enemy with a shield of some kind (anything other than the white one really), and just wail on them until you have the 300 combo.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I did the 300 hit combo thing on the final boss. Just don't use the move you need to break his shield, keep wailing on him and dodging his attacks. Roll-dodging through those seeking fireballs he spits helps add to your combo counter nicely, too.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
There's a reason I never finished Outland, and it wasn't because I didn't like it.

I'm finding Guacamelee a lot less punishing, thankfully. Just finished the Tree climb on Vita. Hands aren't feeling super comfortable right now, so I guess that means break time.

Ha! Wait till you revisit the Tule Tree when you get
Goat Run and dash up the side of the tree to the uber-brutal platform challenge that ends in buzzsaws and an orb.

-PXG-

This game is smooth and snappy. It's pretty much everything I want from a Metroidvania. I just want more.

Drinkbox....do another.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
I've made my way through Tree Tops and now I'm stuck on the Sierra alternating platforms secret area, specifically the fourth area, which is just way too long without a break. Someone please tell me that this is the last area and that my efforts aren't going to be rewarded with yet another area that I'm stuck on for ages.

The buzzsaws are the end of that part. Not as hard as they look, but your hands will need to sleep after.

^^^^^^You can do it without that move, but that would be by far the easiest.

Lol this game gives all new meaning to puzzle platformer. But yeah you are going to have to be quick with dimension switching.

Also I heard all these horror stories about the Jaguar Boss and I thought he was extremely easy.

Number45

Shift so that the middle is active > jump to it and wall jump off > quick shift > wall jump again to the far pillar > wall jump > shift > wall jump > land. Hope that makes sense. :s

Also I heard all these horror stories about the Jaguar Boss and I thought he was extremely easy.
Some of the shields and moves are harder to avoid/dodge through than others, but yeah it didn't take too long.

OwlyKnees

Do you guys use L or the right stick to dodge?

I'm having a tough time with L, as it only goes in the direction you're facing. Whereas with the right stick I can roll freely backwards or forwards, but then I have to take my hands off the face buttons.

Decisions, decisions.

Top Bottom