• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guacamelee! |OT| ¡Mexicovania - Olé!

Enchilada:
There are 4 ingredients, all in the open area of the town. Although the chilis are in the Dead version of it.

Chicken thief:
You'll find the chicken in the first house you pass by in that town, the one right next to the Viva Pinata home.

Thanks. Can't believe I missed them

Mesoian

Do the jump + uppercut near the wall but not so near that you stick to the wall when you jump, then swap dimensions. The first bit is the only hard part, the rest gets more manageable. That's how it worked for me. Also, resting on it after a long sitting of playing the game to recover your muscles helps :p

DID IT.

Also: FUCK YOU CHICKEN!

jwk94

I got to the fourth stage before I spiked my controller.

It's like a poorly designed meatboy level. Fuck that nonsense.

I can cook up a quick video guide if you want. It's not too hard.

EDIT: nevermind, looks like you did it. Congratulations!

EDIT 2: Just got the 300 hit trophy. Decided to pin a shielded enemy against a wall and just go at it. Feels good to have that one out of the way. Now to go back to finding all of the items.

Not sure if people mentioned it but this game does scale so seamlessly. Love the way the character and detail is readable no matter how big or tiny. Vector graphics man, how do they work?

Finished. I really liked this game. Probably one of my favorites Metroidvanias (right there with Shadow Complex).

The fun thing about the luchadores of videogames characters is that it can pretty well happen in the country (that lack of copryght enforcement :p )

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I went "eff it" and downloaded Guacamelee this morning straight onto the Vita in 5 minutes, ready for the daily commute.

As a side-note, it's taken me a while to realise, but distribution of this kind has really become something special.
I know I'm late to the Vita party (I currently belong to the single 16GB card crowd), and it's been going on for ages through Steam and stuff, but it's amazing to have (what I consider to be) a "console quality" game in one's hands this quick these days...

The game itself feels great! It's as charming as it looks in media, and the controls are smooth as butter. The dodging mechanic especially is sublime - hitting L before landing a jump to go straight into a roll, or after sending an enemy flying to follow up and keep the pressure on. Really fluid.

Sending enemies flying isn't going to get old quickly, either. Punting them into other enemies is satisfying, and I love launching them straight up, grabbing them again in the air and smashing them down to the ground.

These are things you only usually see in a full-on 3D action game. Already pleasantly surprised by the combo potential, and I've only unlocked the first special move (Rooster Uppercut)!

The music so far is nice, too. There's a cool mix of Mexican and 8-bit themes going on. Super catchy.

Suffice to say, I will be spending some time with this. Thanks for the recommendations, GAF!

Man, I'm completely stumped on getting 100% in Sierra Morena. No idea what I could possibly be missing. Need a video or map or something.

Man, I'm completely stumped on getting 100% in Sierra Morena. No idea what I could possibly be missing. Need a video or map or something.

Is that the only area you're missing something from?
What's the map percentage you have currently?

Finished. I really liked this game. Probably one of my favorites Metroidvanias (right there with Shadow Complex).

The fun thing about the luchadores of videogames characters is that it can pretty well happen in the country (that lack of copryght enforcement :p )

From where I'm sitting, this game absolutely MURDERED Shadow Complex.

Is that the only area you're missing something from?
What's the map percentage you have currently?

87%. I haven't been into the final area yet and this is the only other place I haven't completed. I'm actually starting to think it might be bugged as I noticed a blue block had respawned here which I'm sure isn't meant to happen.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So I'm coming back through the forest del chivo and there is a plant that shows up during a fight with a red shield. The rooster uppercut can't touch him, tho. I have no clue his to damage it. :-:

Edit: never mind, he finally popped up.

87%. I haven't been into the final area yet and this is the only other place I haven't completed. I'm actually starting to think it might be bugged as I noticed a blue block had respawned here which I'm sure isn't meant to happen.

I'm a jerk, there's a chest after the boss haha.

What a great game, really sad I'm near the end :( I assume DLC is planned though.

chuckycem

I have downloaded Guacamelee 2 days ago but didn't have too much time to play.
The only thing i can say is this game has something what most games lately lack, character.
Can't wait to get back to it.

Can't climb this stupid tule tree

u1T0Rfn.jpg

Someone please tell me how to conquer to what I think are my least favorite parts of this game.

EDIT: Yes I am aware of the rooster uppercut and No, it's not helping.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Well, I want to disagree but I remember that here at least you still need skill even when you are buffed unlike Shadow Complex where you become a physical god...
I think Guacamelee will hold up a lot better in the long run, however. Shadow Complex runs at an unstable 30 fps and lacks really tight controls. For a 2D action game, a smooth framerate and excellent controls are a necessity. Guac features excellent controls, a smooth 60 fps, and even 1080p support on PS3 (as well as native res on Vita).

Both are well designed games but I think the technical failings of Shadow Complex really hold it back. Imagine if Super Metroid ran at sub-30 fps and lacked tight, accurate controls.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches

u1T0Rfn.jpg

Someone please tell me how to conquer to what I think are my least favorite parts of this game.

Jump>warp>uppercut>warp.

Press X+R at the same time if you're having trouble with timing.

That happens from time to time.
Did you get the orb?
That's a kinda tricky thing to find.

I've made my way through Tree Tops and now I'm stuck on the Sierra alternating platforms secret area, specifically the fourth area, which is just way too long without a break. Someone please tell me that this is the last area and that my efforts aren't going to be rewarded with yet another area that I'm stuck on for ages.

KevinCow

Banned
I asked earlier and nobody answered:

What did the mask pieces do? Would I have gotten a different ending if I hadn't gotten them or something?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

u1T0Rfn.jpg

Switch phases as you jump and then switch again before you land. Then near the top, switch as you wall jump back and forth. On the last part, double jump to the left, and then rooster uppercut to get onto the platform.

I am really loving this game. The jokes were very hit and miss, but the
"You're halfway there" line
was so perfect.

(Avoid the spoiler if you haven't collected the pieces of the mask.)

Footos22

I've made my way through Tree Tops and now I'm stuck on the Sierra alternating platforms secret area, specifically the fourth area, which is just way too long without a break. Someone please tell me that this is the last area and that my efforts aren't going to be rewarded with yet another area that I'm stuck on for ages.

There is one small section after that thats just long platforms. Easiest section in that entire bit.
none of its that hard really usually have ample time after a double jump to land on one of the small platforms. just need to get a rhythm going.

gloone

I'm 12 hour in and finished the game a couple of hours ago.

I still can't manage to find 100% of stuff and gave up trying to get all orbs.

I can't even manage to complete the combo training against the robot.

After reading how other people completed the game in 3 to 4 hours I feel like the worst gamer ever. :(

There is one small section after that thats just long platforms. Easiest section in that entire bit.
none of its that hard really usually have ample time after a double jump to land on one of the small platforms. just need to get a rhythm going.

It's just the positioning. I've got the first half memorised but once I get past that, it's easy to forget where a platform is about to spawn. If I had a video or picture of the layout, it'd be easy but it's only been out for a few days, so that kind of stuff just isn't going to be available.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Okay, after a perfectly bug-free run on normal, I have run into my 6th bug on hard mode under 3 hours.
KuGsj.gif

I've already reported some, but here are a couple new ones:
- Arena fights starting with no enemies spawning -> must quit
- After 15+ retries at Jaguar Javier's boss battle, I found myself standing in front of him, camera still zoomed in, no HP gauge, etc. It felt like a cutscene yet I was able to control my character. I was also able to beat him around, he fought be but WAY less aggressively. A few seconds later I beat him and he started giving his defeat speech. Wut?! Unfortunately after the chat was over I wasn't able to control my character and had to quit. Redoing the fight right now. Ugh.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
The arenas have been glitching like crazy now and I'm kind of pissed. Could it be that Hard mode wasn't as quality tested as Normal?

Oh god, finally got the fifth mask piece. I just had to take a couple hours break and come back to it refreshed. Now to finish the game again and start my hard playthrough.

nampad

Ran into the jaguar javier bug too. Also once the screen didn't scroll and there was some other bug I already forgot.
The gameplay is so polished but the game itself seems to need some bugfixing.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
The game is fighting back, it doesn't want you to beat it.

I actually didn't have any glitches in Hard mode but had a ton in Normal.
That's weird. My normal run was perfect. On the other hand I've been forced to quit 8-10 times thanks to arenas not spawning enemies.

Edit: Grrr, the arena filled with lightning skeletons in the final stage is kicking my ass a bit. Come to think of it, most of the arenas here are challenging.

gloone

Okay, after a perfectly bug-free run on normal, I have run into my 6th bug on hard mode under 3 hours.
KuGsj.gif

I've already reported some, but here are a couple new ones:
- Arena fights starting with no enemies spawning -> must quit
- After 15+ retries at Jaguar Javier's boss battle, I found myself standing in front of him, camera still zoomed in, no HP gauge, etc. It felt like a cutscene yet I was able to control my character. I was also able to beat him around, he fought be but WAY less aggressively. A few seconds later I beat him and he started giving his defeat speech. Wut?! Unfortunately after the chat was over I wasn't able to control my character and had to quit. Redoing the fight right now. Ugh.

Both those things happened to me on Normal.

Maybe you didn't die much on that mode?

ballerusk

How do I get to the platform (out of sight) to the right?

9IowsCL.jpg

I can't go back (out of Sierra Morena) I barely made it up with an insane pixelperfect jump with doublejump and uppercut at the start of this area. Am I missing an ability or something?

Top Bottom