• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guacamelee! |OT| ¡Mexicovania - Olé!

3 times now over Normal and Hard has an arena in the Caverns bugged out and not let me go further down after defeating all the enemies.

Sorc3r3r

Sooooooo......

Guacamelee happens when doing videogames it's not your job, but your passion.

Awesome game Drinkbox, keep dreaming guys. ^^

Mesoian

VfgykW7l.jpg

How?

I used Luca-Fly. Made it way easier.

Argh, I'm having trouble with Fire Face. Actually, the fight itself is not hard, but sometimes he does a spinning attack from top right to bottom left and then he leaves the room and I can't leave it. I suppose it's a bug. I've tried it 4 times already but every time he never comes back, totally random (once I had 1/4 of his health, once 3/4).

one thing that made me desperate though is a
lever in "forest del chivo" when i pull it something happen, but i cant figure what & where :/

the switch opens a hole in the ground near the beginning of the area and takes you to one of the orbs. It required the last skill and some quick movement to get to.

ta9qi

the switch opens a hole in the ground near the beginning of the area and takes you to one of the orbs. It required the last skill and some quick movement to get to.
Thanks i did it, it was so well hidden..also i completed 100% of the world map -found what was missing easily with the new ability-
now i have to fight the final boss again for the last reward

Xater

It's kinda disappointing that I was able to get the true ending with around 6 hours of playtime. I am not a completionist that has to get all the chests. Still this was an amazing game for the price they asked for. If drinkbox makes another Metroidvania I'll be there.

nowai

^^^^^^You can do it without that move, but that would be by far the easiest.

Lol this game gives all new meaning to puzzle platformer. But yeah you are going to have to be quick with dimension switching.

Also I heard all these horror stories about the Jaguar Boss and I thought he was extremely easy.

Playing these later bits co-op has proven to be an exercise in madness.

I like that one of the central mechanics of this game is similar to one of the bests level of Super Mario Galaxy 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtHiVa5kg6E&t=4m25s

I might have to borrow a PS3 for this.

Might I suggest playing Outland while you are at it?

Playing these later bits co-op has proven to be an exercise in madness.

Oh man, even in the guick look Giant Bomb did of some of the early dimension switching using those portals it looked like an exercise in madness.

I'd love an option to buy the soundtrack, Drinkbox. It's rather awesome.

Ditto!

Also did anyone see the Journey cameo? I freaked when I saw it. Game is so awesome.

Edit: Whoa is the secret area of the Tulep Tree friggin hard, screw those buzzsaws. The Chicken at the end did get me though lol.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
How does Outland compare to this? I gotta say, after completing this I'm hankering for some more side-scrolling faux-metroidvania action. I'll admit that I played it for 30 mins then put it away. Does it get better?

How does Outland compare to this? I gotta say, after completing this I'm hankering for some more side-scrolling faux-metroidvania action. I'll admit that I played it for 30 mins then put it away. Does it get better?

I played the demo but it didn't grab me strangely. Maybe I should give it another try.

I thought it got a lot better as it went on, it really plays on the Ikaruga influence in the latter half and that is when the challenge and fun start. I would suggest beating the first 2-3 bosses and see how you like it after that point. Myself, I loved Outland and think it is one of the best downloadable games available. Housemarque is a great developer.

Guacamelee is way better imho, while Outland is not a bad game, the dual polarity gimmick gets old fast, and controls are quite weird sometimes. I got bored around 5 or 6 hours in, and still need to finish it.

Music is ace though.

Guacamelee is way better imho, while Outland is not a bad game, the dual polarity gimmick gets old fast, and controls are quite weird sometimes. I got bored around 5 or 6 hours in, and still need to finish it.

Music is ace though.

Different strokes I guess. I agree though that Guacamelee is better, but I liked a lot of the bosses in Outland a lot more.

oni_saru

Got throught Tule Tree yesterday. Patience & timing were the key.

Everything a breeze till I get to the
Jaguar boss fight

No healing orbs & no half point save is making this battle a pain.

I'm really enjoying this game. The platforming reminds me of the platforming in some old school games. Brings back good memories for me!

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Jaguar boss fight

Javier on normal was fun. Deceptively hard at first, but as soon as you nail the patterns, it becomes a breeze. Javier on hard made want to pull my hair. He was dash canceling attacks, warping before my attacks connect, then launching his fire attacks like a spastic little bitch.

I thought it got a lot better as it went on, it really plays on the Ikaruga influence in the latter half and that is when the challenge and fun start. I would suggest beating the first 2-3 bosses and see how you like it after that point. Myself, I loved Outland and think it is one of the best downloadable games available. Housemarque is a great developer.

Music is ace though.
Thanks guys, I'll give it another whirl and see if I feel differently about it.

oni_saru

I thought the Tule Tree was relatively easy compared to the diapering platform part.

srly ef that part

the part that was giving me trouble ended up being a section where you wall jump & shift dead/alive world to get to a platform with a chest. By the time I got high enough I realized it was an optional part & by then I just decided to go for it.

I kept screwing the timing up. When I finally got it the rest was easy!

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
A Metroid-style game filled with crazy combat and precise platforming that's also inspired by Mexican culture? Now that's something you're not gonna see in the AAA space!

Between this and Redline I'm gonna have full weekend. :)

Gadirok

The jaguar fight was annoying but I didn't have too much trouble on it. Though it was probably the hardest boss fight in the game. I thought the flame headed dude was the most disappointing and easiest. I expected so much from that fight, but it was so ridiculously easy. I was thinking that he was going to pull the "this isin't even my final form" card, but no, hes just gone. Seriously...

The jaguar dashing was intense. We were pretty much at it blow for blow but I think I got it around my 5th of 6th attempt. I honestly had more trouble with the final boss because of the delay when trying to break a green barrier and him rushing on top of me. Those would get me 60% of the time.

I thing the hardest bits of this game was the tree of tule place and one stupid mistake I made on the way to where you see the journey guy leaving face dead on the floor.

I thought you had to slip through the barbed wires with the dodge, not change dimensions. It honestly didn't even come to me as a thought, because I actually managed to run along the wall and manage to get through the barbed wires with the dodge, even though it was extremely rare and was getting frustrated thinking "how could drinkbox have put in something that requires such accurate timing, its ruining this game".

After 30 minutes of trying the dodge, my finger slipped and hit the right shoulder button, and the dimension change made the barbed wire dissapear. I really raged for being so fucking stupid.

Also, trying to do the tree of tule place RIGHT after I got the power up for running against a wall was stupid too, as I got stuck multiple times. Really stupid of me to try it before I got the lucha-fly ability, and wasted a good hour there too.

I think the problem was that I shouldn't have attempted some places without getting all the powers. The next time I go through a game from now on I will probably cut through the game and get all the powers first and backtrack after instead of doing it as I go.

Same thing with Gravity Rush. I think it will save alot more time and make it less frustrating.

Got throught Tule Tree yesterday. Patience & timing were the key.

Jaguar boss fight

I'm really enjoying this game. The platforming reminds me of the platforming in some old school games. Brings back good memories for me!

Once you break the shield an uppercut will auto launch him in the air and then from there unleash a fury of aerial combos on him. Rinse. Repeat.

Just gotta get good at aerial combos, but the uppercut almost always launches him in the air.

yatesl

Just completed it - 100% of the items, including the orbs, in just under 7 hours. Did it all before the last boss too, so I didn't see the normal ending :(

Great game, shame it was so short/easy. It's no Super Metroid, but on par with Dust & Shadow Complex

Gadirok

What's this tree tops things people keep talking about?

I guess you could consider it a secret platforming section of the game? You pretty much get access to it as soon as you get the ability to run up walls. I was stupid enough to waste a hour attempting to climb it until I reached a area where almost all the sides of the walls were covered with spikes.

I recommend you wait until you get the lucha-fly ability.

Also I don't understand why people are disappointed with the timing of the game. You paid $12 for it and its MSRP is at $15. That's obviously based on how long it is. Really don't understand what people expected from a $12 downloadable title...

Though this game could probably have asked for more (maybe $40 given how most people react at these type of games at $60 and rayman's reception in sales) if it had a little more fluff, and content.

Nothing really disappointed me with the game. Everything was perfect, and the price was extremely reasonable for the content. If I could change one thing, it would be the powers that you can buy as grappling, as those weren't as good as the regular powers you earned and you really couldn't combo with them. I only really liked the one where you could pretty much seismic toss to the ground since it would knock out most of my opponents or tossing enemies into groups of other enemies.

But all of the optional ones pretty much felt the same thing to me, which were addons to grapple.

jwk94

I guess you could consider it a secret platforming section of the game? You pretty much get access to it as soon as you get the ability to run up walls. I was stupid enough to waste a hour attempting to climb it until I reached a area where almost all the sides of the walls were covered with spikes.

I have all of the abilities, I just haven't stumbled upon it yet. I already did the tule tree though.

^^^^It is at the base of the tree, like you are going to the desert. Should be a blue block down there if you haven't already busted it.

There is no recommend, YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE FLY ABILITY. It is literally impossible otherwise.

Footos22

^^^^It is at the base of the tree, like you are going to the desert. Should be a blue block down there if you haven't already busted it.

There is no recommend, YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE FLY ABILITY. It is literally impossible otherwise.

This. The first part of the last section requires the goat fly move. Its no where near as hard as some people are making it out to be. Took all of 4 mins. When I replayed it as I was going for hard difficulty trophy. I did it all first time.

Got the plat. Loved the game. Finished hard in 4 hours. Didn't go for 100% on it though

Gadirok

Explains why I couldn't think of a way to get through a particular area then after overcoming a few ones at the bottom. I climbed down really disappointed and just continued on with the game.

When I got the rocket-lucha ability it came as a thought to my head that it will probably help me out with the area but I thought that since I gained access to the area with the ability to climb up walls that it was possible to accomplish the area without any of the abilities you got later on.

Asimov

Banned
Dayum... I don't know which to buy this week... Guacamelee or Toki Tori 2 (Wii U). I'm kinda short of money (I just bought 2 Nexus 4) so I really need to choose which game to play this weekend.

Number45

So I'm at the top of the
Great Temple
. If I go into the fight that's apparently in the next room can I still make my way out to try and 100% the map? Actually kind of tempted to go for 100% on hard.

Watched Gamespots review of this.
They mentioned Metroidvania?
How much of that design is in the game?

Is it a full on Metroid designed level.
It fits the description perfectly for me, although there's more of an emphasis on combat in parts. But the combat is great, so that's not a problem.

Vomiaouaf

Finished it. Awesome game. Great sense of humor, too. I'm missing a few trophies, but at least I got the full mask + all the upgrades, so my job is done :cool:

Big One

Banned
Got 88% in the Forest, how do I get 100%? There's like this one area on the map in the beginning that looks like a small hole I can go into, but I don't see it when I actually get there.

Top Bottom