• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guacamelee! |OT| ¡Mexicovania - Olé!

Funniest part of this game is reaching the peak of the Tree Tops,
and meeting the giant chicken who says "You're halfway bro, keep going!"
Expert trollage, I was dying.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I have 100% everywhere but I didn't get the 100% leaderboard entry for the speedrun with my time.

Anyone any idea why? I pressed "Continue" after my regular run, is that it?

Paskil

Funniest part of this game is reaching the peak of the Tree Tops,
and meeting the giant chicken who says "You're halfway bro, keep going!"
Expert trollage, I was dying.

Yup,
my mouth dropped open and then I went to the next screen and started laughing

Wynnebeck

Banned
Just reached the top of
Temple of Rain after talking to the one villainess in the white dress. Holy shit. When she first talked to him and showed her ass and went, "BAM. Hmm, guess it had no effect." I died. Then when she was talking about seriously heavy petting, I lost it.
. This game is frickin great and the copious amounts of references is ridiculous. Grumpy Cat already in the game!? Classic lol.

Max O Power

Neo Member
Ok I made it to the final boss and had a bunch of trouble. Finally I got him, but only because he glitched and didn't attack back. Then I went back to try and beat him again with out throwing the rocks (To get the trophy) but again he glitched.

This game feels so polished, anybody else got this glitch?

Labadal

I finally got some time to play this.

The graphical style looks great. The music is good and I enjoy the wacky dialogue. I'm not very far into the game, on my way to The Temple of Rain. At first, it seemed like combat would be very shallow, but I'm getting the hang of it and doing some decent combo's for now. (Thanks, Chicken trainer!) I'm having fun exploring, what I like the most so I'm eagerly anticipating my next skill for breaking enviromental stuff. My only fear was that the controls wouldn't be good wich I don't have to worry about anymore.

Oh, and memes don't bother me.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
You're half way there!
I literally shouted FUCK NO at this part. Good times.

Oh man,
Choozo statues
made me laugh.
I thought I was going to hate him, as I expected poorly forced memes, but I ended up enjoying the goat. My favorite two parts:
-
"Derpderp dash; I ran out of names."
-
"Joke's on you; no power this time." Complete with the seizure-inducing flashing screen.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
p7saEtn.jpg

can i get to the upper right platforms? how?

edit: FUCK darkwing just posted the same shit!

yay did it

I literally shouted FUCK NO at this part. Good times.

I thought I was going to hate him, as I expected poorly forced memes, but I ended up enjoying the goat. My favorite two parts:
-
"Derpderp dash; I ran out of names."
-
"Joke's on you; no power this time." Complete with the seizure-inducing flashing screen.

Lol and then that name just becomes canon.

I just bought the game and I'm liking what I've played so far, but nowhere I saw an option to change the difficulty to hard. Did I fuck up somewhere at the beginning or do you unlock the difficulty when completing the game?

darkwing

Jumping dodge (L button), double jump, switch to death world to land on the middle platform.

Jumping dodge to next platform on the left. Jump up to uppermost left platform. Switch to get to the highest platform.

Now jumping dodge past the red spikes, dashing punch forward + O, then up + O to upper cut to the platform. iirc

You have to use the dash (The blue thing) a lot. Also, at this point I had no idea that you can use several "special" moves in one jump. As long as it's not the same move. So in the last part you have to dash first and then uppercut to the platform. Also use the double jump at the last possible second.

Writing this it kind of feel not that helpful, and platforming 101. But I hope it helps.

Go to the far left platforms. Jump through the vine, then double jump, then air dash then uppercut. I am not too sure why they put platforms on the right and middle as it is very difficult to pass through the vines on rising part of a jump.

thanks guys, no idea I could chain moves, this game, this game!

Skyzard

Banned
Guys, why are you rushing to 100% this on hard, what are you going to do without it. That's like no more Guacamelee.

End of game spoilers:
So of course I haven't seen the 'true' ending but it showed you glimpses of him being alive during the credits with his face, and a photo of the girl on his desk (that wasn't the president was it?). As I understand the story, he died but the mask allows him to go into the real world. At the end you see them reunite in the dead world. Seems a bit conflicted... why would he not just transport to the dead world :S Anyway - does the 100% ending clear things up or did I misunderstand something with the incomplete/sad(?) ending... - I know this is a spoiler and it's dangerous territory but you know, still don't ruin it please :) just have that post-game curiosity

woah

Ok I think Endo Punk cleared somethings up with his post just now anyway.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I just bought the game and I'm liking what I've played so far, but nowhere I saw an option to change the difficulty to hard. Did I fuck up somewhere at the beginning or do you unlock the difficulty when completing the game?
You didn't fuck up. You can only access it after beating the game on Normal, unfortunately.

Endo Punk

Yeeeeaaa good ending is so shweet :) Love the game and the setting is just so refreshingly awesome. Hard mode awaits but I'll leave that for some other time.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Yeah, I do think Drinkbox deserve more credit for how well they turned it up with this game. Mutant Blob was an interesting game, albeit loose in parts and had that indie rawness to it. Guacamelee on the other hand is a fully realized and fleshed out experience. From design to execution, they've been done almost impeccably. It's just satisfying in almost every way, and that's the biggest compliment I can give it.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Beat it, 100%. I loved the final boss. Challenging, but not frustrating. One of the better final battles I've played recently. The bosses in general were well done here, just like everything else. Polished and fun game that more than deserves the praise it's getting. Contemplating hard mode, but I've got so much other stuff to play.

It took me more than 10 hours for full completion. The 2 platform challenges took up a lot of playtime. I'm quite good at platformers, but those trials still made me sweat. Intense stuff.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Did anyone take a stab at the Mine's challenges on Hard? After being screwed a couple of times by regular enemies at the final temples, I avoided that place like the plague the second time.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Beat it, 100%. I loved the final boss. Challenging, but not frustrating. One of the better final battles I've played recently. The bosses in general were well done here, just like everything else. Polished and fun game that more than deserves the praise it's getting. Contemplating hard mode, but I've got so much other stuff to play.

It took me more than 10 hours for full completion. The 2 platform challenges took up a lot of playtime. I'm quite good at platformers, but those trials still made me sweat. Intense stuff.
Yeah, one of the things I liked is how balanced the game was, i.e. it packed a challenge without being too frustrating or cheap (whether it's a boss or a platforming section), even on hard.

Edit: Herp, dp.

Dimikosta

Neo Member
I'm glad I checked this thread out, didn't know this was a metroidvania, I was going to ignore it.

Due to the name I thought it was some type of fighting game or something.

Moofers

So is this like SOTN in the way that you can level up, equip different weapons, etc? I want to try it, but I don't really dig on the classic castlevanias and metroids so much. I'm more into the SOTN and everything after vanias.

chepu

GAF im in a dilemma, I have 20$ in PSN store, What should I buy, this or Tokyo Jungle?

My brother has a vita btw.

HALP!

Skyzard

Banned
GAF im in a dilemma, I have 20$ in PSN store, What should I buy, this or Tokyo Jungle?

HALP!

.....This. You know it already with the thread choice. Tokyo Jungle is neat, this is awesome.

PSN accounts need to be the same on the Vita and PS3 btw for cross-buy.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches

HALP!

.....This. You know it already with the thread choice. Tokyo Jungle is neat, this is awesome.

PSN accounts need to be the same on the Vita and PS3 btw for cross-buy.
Meaning your brother has to buy it with his Vita's account and you should activate his account on your PS3 then download it, and not the other way around.

If both of you are financially capable though, consider supporting the developer since the product is well worth it.

abrack08

Alright, I'm starting to believe my game bugged out on me somehow. When I started playing today there was a single area I hadn't explored, but once I entered it, there was nothing there. I'm guessing this is where my final treasure chest would've been?

Are you 100% sure you hadn't been to that area before? Because there's almost definitely a chest there, I got it right away. But that area still doesn't show up on my map unless I'm actually standing in it IIRC. Maybe you got it right away, forgot about it, and are missing another chest?

Okay...so...you guys were completely right about Javier. :( I have played it about 30 times so far to no avail.

Normal or hard? I just beat him on normal, took me a few tries but didn't seem ridiculous. Once I realized that simply breaking his shield does some damage to him, it actually was pretty easy. If you're not focused on trying to do tons of damage and instead focusing on dodging and breaking his shield whenever you can (usually after his spinning attack for me) and getting a hit or two in, it may take awhile but it's not too bad.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Okay...so...you guys were completely right about Javier. :( I have played it about 30 times so far to no avail.

Are you playing on Normal or Hard? Either way, here's my take from a few pages back. This was my approach after a very long and exhaustive fight with him on Hard.

Unless he's doing a fire attack, dodge, dodge, dodge!

Also, when you take one of his shields down, don't throw a few punch then back away. Instead combo him with normals till he kneels, following it with a long string of specials, spam dodge>blue derp dash to avoid his attacks and following him around. If you keep at it and spam/exhaust him like a lunatic, you'll deplete most of his HP in one go. He won't recover even single colored shield until he's down to the last 10% of his health, and covers himself with the white shield.

Just remember, as long as you're connecting attacks with his shield down, he won't restore it. So don't give him too much room to breath.

Aeana

The Javier fight really highlights the strangeness of the knockback+invulnerability period. You get knocked back, and you're invulnerable until the second you regain control, at which point if you happen to be in contact with an enemy, knocked back again! Infinite stunlock and there's very little you can do about it. I'm losing my patience with this. I love this game, I've had a great time, but I haven't enjoyed a single one of the boss fights.

VanWinkle

Are you 100% sure you hadn't been to that area before? Because there's almost definitely a chest there, I got it right away. But that area still doesn't show up on my map unless I'm actually standing in it IIRC. Maybe you got it right away, forgot about it, and are missing another chest?

Normal or hard? I just beat him on normal, took me a few tries but didn't seem ridiculous. Once I realized that simply breaking his shield does some damage to him, it actually was pretty easy. If you're not focused on trying to do tons of damage and instead focusing on dodging and breaking his shield whenever you can (usually after his spinning attack for me) and getting a hit or two in, it may take awhile but it's not too bad.

Are you playing on Normal or Hard? Either way, here's my take from a few pages back. This was my approach after a very long and exhaustive fight with him on Hard.

Thanks for the tip guys. I had to give myself a little break, but I will take that into account when I go back to it tonight.

I'm playing it on normal. I haven't had much of a problem with anything else (not that I've had NO challenge at all, of course; the platforming can be ROUGH sometimes), but my goodness have I been having trouble with this one!

Am I wrong in that if you Uppercut (up + O) Javier and then combo him as much as possible in the air and keep doing that over and over that fight is extremely easy. When I fought him the Uppercut almost always launched him in the air.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
+1 for uppercutting Javier when he's vulnerable (on his knees) then comboing him. Always cover more ground with dodge + derp dash to follow him around.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
The Javier fight really highlights the strangeness of the knockback+invulnerability period. You get knocked back, and you're invulnerable until the second you regain control, at which point if you happen to be in contact with an enemy, knocked back again! Infinite stunlock and there's very little you can do about it. I'm losing my patience with this. I love this game, I've had a great time, but I haven't enjoyed a single one of the boss fights.
I wish you'd see how twice as crazy he is on Hard
X0skdyV.png

Edit: goddamn these constant dps. Ban me already
X0skdyV.png

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.

I think his attack patterns are luck. When I first made it up to him I was knocking off about 80% of his energy without knowing his attack patterns, but it was really late and I was feeling tired. When I attempted again the next morning I was getting owned left, right and center. Constantly getting caught in his hits while trapped against the wall and lucky if I could even do 33% damage on him. Anyway, after a dozen+ attempts I quit and came back later. Beat him with ease the next time.

Best tip I can give is try not to rush. Hang onto the walls, wait for an opening and try to get one or two hits in when his sheild is down then retreat. His yellow sheild weilds the most damage when broken as your headbutt sends him flying across the screen and opens him up for a huge combo. When the combo has ended, try another headbutt and if successful rince and repeat. If unsuccessful, retreat and wait for an opening again.

The stunlock is definitely the downside to this game and becomes very punishing in hard if you aren't able to control the flow of an encounter from the outset. For Javier I just ignored following through after breaking a blue or green shield because he doesn't seem to react to them. On red and yellow though you can usually follow up with a lengthy combo. So on blue or green just break the shield to reset it and then let him run around until you can take the initiative.

His swipe and spin attacks can be rolled through so you can move in close, but you have to dodge his pillar and rush moves completely. A slower approach is infinitely better than trying to keep the pressure on him however this becomes very difficulty during the last phase (white shield).

In the end, I found this fight much easier (on hard) than the Flame boss. But I did basically restart the fight anytime he got me into a stunlock.

anyone figure out a way around this one?

it was a pain getting up here already and this one got me stumped.

http://imgur.com/n5uaRct
http://imgur.com/xdRkn17

Jump to the left, change planes, wall hang (triangle) then goat fly to the right changing planes to avoid the pillars. Wall hang on the right then goat run upwards.

Topped the Tule Tree. Now that was a blast!

Aeana, the only way I got out of that was to dodge at the moment Mr. Luchadore became controllable. But yeah, something about the invincibility window seems off.

ta9qi

Guys, really Javier isnt that hard! even in hard only the white shield at the last bits of his health is whats annoying, you just should try to use "L" & jump alot, then return to him fast to do some "Circle" combo's

Top Bottom