• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guacamelee! |OT| ¡Mexicovania - Olé!

Shinta

Banned
Guacamarvelous! Great game!

I can't believe how good this is. When the platforming and combat hits just right, this game is truly phenomenal.

I actually laughed out loud at the
guy who was collecting barrels in the basement
. That was hilarious lol.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I can't believe how good this is. When the platforming and combat hits just right, this game is truly phenomenal.

Kevin the Keg! :(

Skyzard

Banned

Was "hiding out under the safety of the bar" in reference to anything? Screenshotted when he said that for some reason, must have found him randomly funny - didn't take too many.

Another screenshot, looked interesting:

2O4cTnX.jpg

The fact he had names for them was hilarious. Drinkbox MOAR!

abrack08

Sorry for the crappy pics, need help with a chest. I just need to know if this is even possible to get at this point.

ZcDegkl.jpg

CRgB9Uh.jpg

It's in the temple of war in a north section (just south-east of the boss, who I just beat). The spike covered platform and the spikes move back and forth and cover the tiny platform I'm trying to jump on. I don't have any abilities that let me get over to the section where you can wall jump. I actually managed to get on the tiny platform a few times, but the spikes almost immediately turn around and get you, it's either impossible or almost impossible to get on top of the spiked platform the way I've been doing it. Should I be waiting for some glide-type ability, or can I get this now?

Mesoian

And finished Hard mode 100%.

Looks like I'm done. Great ride.

Sorry for the crappy pics, need help with a chest. I just need to know if this is even possible to get at this point.

ZcDegkl.jpg

CRgB9Uh.jpg

It's in the temple of war in a north section (just south-east of the boss, who I just beat). The spike covered platform and the spikes move back and forth and cover the tiny platform I'm trying to jump on. I don't have any abilities that let me get over to the section where you can wall jump. I actually managed to get on the tiny platform a few times, but the spikes almost immediately turn around and get you, it's either impossible or almost impossible to get on top of the spiked platform the way I've been doing it. Should I be waiting for some glide-type ability, or can I get this now?

You can get it now. Jump, Double jump, HerpDerp onto the wall, jump, double jump, uppercut onto the platform, chicken, jump, chest.

ZcDegkl.jpg

CRgB9Uh.jpg

You can.

Jump between the spikes when they're near you, double jump after leaping through them, blue forward punch, uppercut then stick to the wall with triangle (make sure to slide down a little so the returning moving block won't hit you). Jump on the platform and the use the moving block to reach the box, you have to turn in chicken mode here so you can pass in the low passage.

Hardest part is timing the jump to leap between the spikes, after that it's quite easy (some trial and error will occur, tho)

jett

D-Member

ZcDegkl.jpg

CRgB9Uh.jpg

You wait until the spikes are almost near you, then you do a calculated double jump and an air dash and an uppercut if you need it. You can hang on the wall with triangle, try to not be at a height that would make contact with the spikes. When the spikes move to the left again you double jump into the platform above. Then you transform into a chicken, jump onto the moving platform, jump to the chest.

Got my Platinum. I tend no to go for trophies, but experiencing 100% of this game was a lot of fun. Hard actually wasn't too problematic outside of a few encounters with different shields and planes. Combat is really solid and the hidden platforming areas are top notch. I missed so much on my first playthrough...

The end boss was really easy on Hard as he has a very simple pattern. The two bosses prior to him though - god they were difficult.

In the end the only trophy I had to farm for was the rainbow one and it took a while to actually get it because I kept messing up on the headbutt.

Absolutely fantastic game, though some of the combat is frustrating once you get a number of enemies on screen who have ranged attacks. Also, I experienced a number of bugs in the mine where after defeating the room the path would not open up. Pretty infuriating when it happens on the last level!

All in all, this is easily worth the $15. I spent about 17 hours or so on my two playthroughs will happily buy some dlc if they ever release any.

Groof

Alright, I'm starting to believe my game bugged out on me somehow. When I started playing today there was a single area I hadn't explored, but once I entered it, there was nothing there. I'm guessing this is where my final treasure chest would've been?

Nobody got confirmation on this? :(

Godslay

Banned
How do you get past this? me so dumb

Jumping dodge (L button), double jump, switch to death world to land on the middle platform.

Jumping dodge to next platform on the left. Jump up to uppermost left platform. Switch to get to the highest platform.

Now jumping dodge past the red spikes, dashing punch forward + O, then up + O to upper cut to the platform. iirc

Max O Power

Neo Member
How do you get past this? me so dumb

You have to use the dash (The blue thing) a lot. Also, at this point I had no idea that you can use several "special" moves in one jump. As long as it's not the same move. So in the last part you have to dash first and then uppercut to the platform. Also use the double jump at the last possible second.

Writing this it kind of feel not that helpful, and platforming 101. But I hope it helps.

Max O Power

Neo Member
I'm not trying to read too much of the thread because I'm a spoiler wuss. What's the general consensus?

That's really silly. That's like getting upset about pacman spoilers. The game has a story, but it's mostly jokes. I can't really see how the game could get ruined for you.

That said, the game is really great. The Combat is surprisingly deep and the platforming controls are really sharp. Personally I'm not to happy about the meme jokes. But beside a few of those the game is actually pretty funny, and some of the references are clever. (Some not)

eXistor

Oh Jaguar how I hate thee. I suck at the combat as it is and this is just proving impossible for me. I think I'm at 30 tries now. The most health I ever got off him was 50%. I just don't see me beating this guy. This sucks, everything up till this point was a cinch.

/edit: well got him, stupid motherfucker. Didn't even feel good, I'm sure this'll be disputed by everyone here, but I feel it was broken as fuck. Unless I'm very much mistaken, there's no recovery move, so you have to wait until the animation is done to get back up after being hit. Thing is, the invincibility frames are just about then by then meaning he'll have launched his next attack already that is 100% impossible to dodge. He got me in so many loops this way. Also, sometimes he staggers from my hits, most of the times he doesn't and just switches dimensions mid-attack. It feels incredibly cheap. Whatever I'm done with him moving on.

I really do feel the game lost its luster a while back. It veers way too much into action-platformer for my tastes. The initial Metroid-ishness is very shallow and it does indeed have more in common with Cave Story. It's never a question of how to progress, you just do. Also the secrets are way too telegraphed. Still a fun game, but my initial hour with it was by far the most pleasant.

Ridley327

Just beat it. It's absolutely fantastic, and one can hope that Drinkbox gets a bigger spotlight as a result of it, as it's clear that they're a great group of guys and girls, indie or not.

wouwie

Great to hear that the soundtrack is going to be released. Thanks number45 for finding this info in the Q&A.

The game is rather awesome. It looks great, has a great soundtrack, controls nicely, performs smoothly and is a lot of fun to play. Drinkbox did an excellent job once again. They definately are a talented studio and i hope this game is going to sell well.

Skyzard

Banned
Is this a cross buy title? I could swear i saw that it was in the psn store

I haven't checked my PS3 but everyone is saying it is.

---------------

I'm just still a little bit confused with the whole
true ending
business - Should I bother to get 100% (or the orbs) on normal FIRST, before hard mode? I'm now leaning towards no.

I definitely want to play it again anyway, should still be okay to reach 100% on hard mode.. It's a lot of fun exploring atm, awesome moveset. Think I'll finish it off then do it again more thoroughly. Hopefully doesn't spoil the atmosphere.

Ok obsessiveness, ease off.

I haven't checked my PS3 but everyone is saying it is.

---------------

I'm just still a little bit confused with the whole
true ending
business - Should I bother to get 100% (or the orbs) on normal FIRST, before hard mode? I'm now leaning towards no.

I definitely want to play it again anyway, should still be okay to reach 100% on hard mode.. It's a lot of fun exploring atm, awesome moveset. Think I'll finish it off then do it again more thoroughly. Hopefully doesn't spoil the atmosphere.

Ok obsessiveness, ease off.

I would beat the boss before getting everything then reload the game and 100% the game and beat the boss again.

Aeana

I'm having a pretty great time with this game. Some of the platforming challenges for chests are getting pretty tough now. There's this one in the Tule Tree that I'm having quite a difficult time figuring out. (._. )

I'm having a pretty great time with this game. Some of the platforming challenges for chests are getting pretty tough now. There's this one in the Tule Tree that I'm having quite a difficult time figuring out. (._. )

Was one of the most pleasant surprises about the game is how chanllenging and puzzling and satisfying the platforming is. This could have easily just been a beat em up and they clearly went way beyond that.

Skyzard

Banned
I would beat the boss before getting everything then reload the game and 100% the game and beat the boss again.

Yes good, thanks, I appreciate the confirmation!

Was one of the most pleasant surprises about the game is how chanllenging and puzzling and satisfying the platforming is. This could have easily just been a beat em up and they clearly went way beyond that.

It was a surprise to me too, one of the best of the game - love this tricky platforming, especially the non-essential ones that you can come back to, great for replay value.

Did you lot spot the
Space Invader
green moss - it's on the section with a hill (early on) that makes you think, "what's the point of this hill and the short tunnel through the hill, there's like nothing here."

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Goat fly? Or did you do the silly thing and do it before you even got the ability?

Made it through. For that section I thought the beams were solid and not phasable, I ended up doing acrobatics to get through it, smh

Once you know the patterns the section isn't too bad, but still definitely the hardest part of the game, together with the
mega man platforms
. Maybe a good thing they made these optional.

Made it through. For that section I thought the beams were solid and not phasable, I ended up doing acrobatics to get through it, smh

Once you know the patterns the section isn't too bad, but still definitely the hardest part of the game, together with the
mega man platforms
. Maybe a good thing they made these optional.

You talking about the disappearing small blocks section? Holy crap was that a pain. Then I get to the end and go through the door in great joy and get plopped back at the beginning. I was like WHAT!? Then I redid it and saw the other door, lol. I felt like such a fool.

daevv

You talking about the disappearing small blocks section? Holy crap was that a pain. Then I get to the end and go through the door in great joy and get plopped back at the beginning. I was like WHAT!? Then I redid it and saw the other door, lol. I felt like such a fool.

That part put my ol Mega Man skills to the test!

Finished the game today. According the the pause screen I'm missing 2 of the skull parts but I have 100% each area and purchased everything in the shop.

Endo Punk

So Im guessing there is a good and bad ending? Final time is just over 9 hours and I still have to 100% Sierra, Forest and the Desest. .. anyone got a map of these places with all the secrets/boxes :|

Top Bottom