• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guacamelee! |OT| ¡Mexicovania - Olé!

The_Afroman

Neat trick can be done on every wall with spikes. Use the goat run and go up while holding triangle. When you are in the air tap right or left depending where you are on the wall and if you do it right you will land. It's like a 1 pixel safe point. Helps SO MUCH clearing your head for a sec

Groof

Holy shit I actually found the final treasure chest! I don't know how the hell I missed this... must've been the coffee helping me out haha. Anyway, only the hard mode trophies are left now. Let's get it on!

Hmm, I'm trying it out in the Caverna del Pollo, but do you think I should wait and try it out on my hard run?

edit: nvm I got it!

Pollo combat room with the hammer guy is a great spot, shouldn't have to wait for a hard playthrough

edit: nvm late as ****

Groof

Pollo combat room with the hammer guy is a great spot, shouldn't have to wait for a hard playthrough

edit: nvm late as ****

Haha. I tried it out in there at first, but the room felt too wide, so I went to the tiny room with the giant. Take out the two chupacabras and lure him up against the wall and it's cake. But the pollo combo room is probably the easiest of the bunch, heh.

PaulloDEC

Well, just got to the final part of the final boss and... sigh.
I get the feeling this is going to be one of those games where I get to the last section and never finish. I really don't think I have the co-ordination or reflexes to spot and react to this many different telegraphs while at the same time finding ways to get my own hits in.

I mean, we've got the three-burst projectiles, the vertical lava streams, the diagonal lava streams, the huge horizontal fire-breath and the ground-lava to contend with, plus the need to constantly break coloured shields, plus the need to toss the falling rocks (which often cause you to flail into incoming hazards.)

Anyone have any tips?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Well, just got to the final part of the final boss and... sigh.
I get the feeling this is going to be one of those games where I get to the last section and never finish. I really don't think I have the co-ordination or reflexes to spot and react to this many different telegraphs while at the same time finding ways to get my own hits in.

I mean, we've got the three-burst projectiles, the vertical lava streams, the diagonal lava streams, the huge horizontal fire-breath and the ground-lava to contend with, plus the need to constantly break coloured shields, plus the need to toss the falling rocks (which often cause you to flail into incoming hazards.)

Anyone have any tips?

• He shouts when he's about to stomp the ground and raise lava, raising his arms. That's your cue to pull back from the hands, jump>double jump>uppercut if necessary.
  • He takes a step or two back when he's about to breath fire horizontally. That's your cue to turn into a chicken.
  • He does this weird gesture (crossing his arm?) when he's about to unleash the vertical and cross fire beams. And you see them forming as a warning. That's your cue to stand in the center regardless of which one he goes with.
  • He kind of sits there motionless for a second with his mouth open when he's about to shoot the purple bullets. That's your cue to dodge around.
  • Grabbing the falling rocks and throwing it them at him is optional. In fact if you ignore them and just keep meleeing him, you'll earn a trophy. They inflict him with more damage though. But they're harmless to you, so don't worry about them.

I might be a bit off with the audiovisual cues of his attacks, so maybe you should do a test run, but those reactions will surely keep you safe. He didn't touch me even once on my Hard run.

wouwie

I was just wondering: i just arrived at the beginning of the temple section. Will there be an opportunity to revisit the other levels before the end of the game? I realise now that i should have done a bit more collecting.

One thing this game does really well:

With every difficult challenge, you start failing and thinking "This is fucking impossible, I won't ever be able to do that, it's ridiculous!" - But then, 10 minutes later you did it and you feel awesome.

Especially true with all these bosses. I immediately thought Jaguar was an asshole and he's way too hard, but once you know his pattern, it was easypeasy - Same with Calaca, etc.

PaulloDEC

• He shouts when he's about to stomp the ground and raise lava, raising his arms. That's your cue to pull back from the hands, jump>double jump>uppercut if necessary.
  • He takes a step or two back when he's about to breath fire horizontally. That's your cue to turn into a chicken.
  • He does this weird gesture (crossing his arm?) when he's about to unleash the vertical and cross fire beams. And you see them forming as a warning. That's your cue to stand in the center regardless of which one he goes with.
  • He kind of sits there emotionless for a second with his mouth open when he's about to shoot the purple bullets. That's your cue to dodge around.
  • Grabbing the falling rocks and throwing it them at him is optional. In fact if you ignore them and just keep meleeing him, you'll earn a trophy. They inflict him with more damage though. But they're harmless to you, so don't worry about them.

I might be a bit off with the audiovisual cues of his attacks, so maybe you should do a test run, but those reactions will surely keep you safe. He didn't touch me even once on my Hard run.

Cheers for the tips. I haven't beaten him yet, but I'm actually making progress now. Ignoring the falling debris has helped a ton, and now I just need to focus on not making mistakes.

EDIT: And done! I found that if I forced myself to ignore the feeling of urgency that comes with a final Boss and just focus on dodging, delivering a single hit and retreating in time for the next attack, it proved not to be so bad. I still only ended up with a single segment of health left, but it did the job. Also, those falling rocks are such a distraction. I ended up totally ignoring them.

Tip for Vita users: if you're not using the d-pad during this fight, make damn sure that you're pushing directly down on the stick to crouch. I think all but one of the hits I took during my successful attempt were the result of not pushing the stick precisely downwards, and thus not crouching when I needed to.

One thing this game does really well:

With every difficult challenge, you start failing and thinking "This is fucking impossible, I won't ever be able to do that, it's ridiculous!" - But then, 10 minutes later you did it and you feel awesome.

Especially true with all these bosses. I immediately thought Jaguar was an asshole and he's way too hard, but once you know his pattern, it was easypeasy - Same with Calaca, etc.

Now that I'm on the outside looking in, I'd agree with this. I had the same response to Javier as you did, but it wasn't too long before I had his pattern down.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I've 100% everything and now up to the last boss. I assume you get the last orb here because every other level had a gold medal on the map signaling 100%. Geez it's taken me 12hrs 45mins to get up to the boss the first time through, lol.

Paskil

Finally just got platinum. I got 100% on my first playthrough so when I beat it on hard, I saw the "bad" ending.

I felt that pull on my heart
/tears at the end when he's standing at her altar and then drops his mask standing by her in the afterlife.
I think this was phenomenal. The characters were all simple and even though minimal back story and character were given, I felt the the story. This game was simply delightful.

There are a few bug issues. Interestingly, my game never froze where I had to reset my console. Either the next value wouldn't load, after an arena for example, and I'd be stuck in an empty room or the screen would freeze but I could still access all menus. I just beat my hard playthrough and
when the orb appeared after beating giant Calaca,
the game froze and I had to do the entire fight over again.

This game is a stellar value at its price point and if you have ever enjoyed a Castlevania or Metroid game (the good ones), you're doing yourself a disservice by not playing this game. Seriously, this game is almost perfect for what it is and I am recommending it to everyone I know that plays games.

I think the game has glitched on me. I just beat the final boss and don't know what to do next.
El Presidente's Daughter is lying there on the shrine and I can run about and stuff, but that's it.
Any ideas? Please don't tell me I have to restart and tackle Calaca all over again.

stryke

I think the game has glitched on me. I just beat the final boss and don't know what to do next.
El Presidente's Daughter is lying there on the shrine and I can run about and stuff, but that's it.
Any ideas? Please don't tell me I have to restart and tackle Calaca all over again.

I beat it about an hour ago. Pretty sure the triangle button pops up for interaction.

PaulloDEC

If you don't get a triangle button prompt in front of
El Presidente's daughter
, you may have to beat the boss again. I've just finished that battle myself (for a second time, it didn't save my bloody progress the first time I beat him) and the only thing I had to do was walk up and hit triangle.

Finally just got platinum. I got 100% on my first playthrough so when I beat it on hard, I saw the "bad" ending.

Wait a minute, are you saying there's more than one ending?!

I felt that pull on my heart
/tears at the end when he's standing at her altar and then drops his mask standing by her in the afterlife.
I think this was phenomenal. The characters were all simple and even though minimal back story and character were given, I felt the the story. This game was simply delightful.

Agree with all of that, those last few frames in the ending cinematic were beautiful.

PaulloDEC

Question for those who've finished the game:

So I beat Calaca and I get my first mask piece. The game ends and I get put back at the main menu. I hit continue to go after the other mask pieces, but when the game finishes loading I'm put back moments before defeating Calaca, and I no longer have the mask piece I was awarded for beating him.

What's the deal? Is that deliberate? Am I supposed to find all the other pieces first, THEN come back and fight Calaca a second time?

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Just finished my first run, most enjoyable platformer I've played since Voodoo Vince (yes I don't play many). The difficulty of all the jumping puzzles was just right. Only got 3 trophies left to get, Rainbow, Hard and beat 5 arenas.

stryke

Clearing the Mine is pissing me off lol. As some other people have voiced out, recovering from being stunned is kinda broken. Took me two tries each on the first two columns. Hope the trend stays that way for the third :S

Derrick01

Banned
So yeah this game is alright. I just wish with all of the secrets and backtracking in the game that there was more to find besides money and the 2 upgrade parts.

dsigns1

I was just wondering: i just arrived at the beginning of the temple section. Will there be an opportunity to revisit the other levels before the end of the game? I realise now that i should have done a bit more collecting.
Yea. After you beat it you can go finish up then come back and beat it again.

Hung_real

Kill one of those flying dragon enemies with nothing but the frog slam (circle+down midair). Pretty easy stuff.

gosh, misread the description and thought you have to do triangle moves only on them, so I've been throwing cactus-projectiles at them all day @_@

cat believe it @_@

Completed. An absolute blast of a game all in all. I actually got both endings relatively close to each other, since I only needed one more orb after beating Calaca for the first time anyway. So which one is canon?!
Happy ending right? It's got to be. Son of Luchador.

If there's ever a sequel then I just have one request...
more chickens.

The Tree level was the trickiest so far. Thankfully the boss fight was so super easy.

Also completed the Combo Chicken training. That was quite challenging.

haven't reached that part yet but it can't possibly be more difficult than
level of the shifting platforms
. I fucking hated doing that one.

Javier Jaguar is way too difficult compared to the rest of the game.

Any easy ways to beat him?

the only power move that actually affects him is the headbutt.....headbutt then uppercut as many times as you can then run up a wall to avoid his attacks.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
p7saEtn.jpg

can i get to the upper right platforms? how?

edit: FUCK darkwing just posted the same shit!

yay did it

LOL I beat this section not knowing you could chain special moves. Double jump plus uppercut worked after fifty tries.

Anyone have a 100% map for desierto caliente? Stuck at 93%...

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Playing hard mode now and spotted a
VVVVVV
reference I missed before. So let's try and make a list of every game/series reference in this game.

- Mario: poster of the brothers, plus the obvious nod to the bowser fight and 'your princess is in another castle'
- Zelda: Link & Majora's mask posters and I Am Error, one of my favorite nods.
- Metroid: Chozo statues and Metroid statues as well.
- Castlevania: mural of a Belmont whipping a foe. Feel like there should be more, but that's all I can think of.
- Mega Man: optional platform challenge has the known disappearing platforms. Poster of a power tank and MM Luchador
- Donkey Kong: statues block your way in the desert
- Journey: robed figure in the snowy mountains
- Grim Fandango: poster of 'Manny Cavalera missing'
- Alex Kidd: also a missing poster
- Super Meat Boy vs N+ in a poster
- Final Fantasy : cactuars in the desert
- Castle Crashers poster
- Phoenix Wright: Gumshoe achievement
- Viva Pinata: house with this name
- VVVVVV: painting in a house
- Minecraft: 'mine forever', house near the combat trial mines
- Game sites: Destructoid vs Giant Bomb poster in the chicken combo room

Any more?

VVVVVV
reference I missed before. So let's try and make a list of every game/series reference in this game.

- Mario: poster of the brothers, plus the obvious nod to the bowser fight and 'your princess is in another castle'
- Castlevania: mural of a Belmont whipping a foe. Feel like there should be more, but that's all I can think of.
- Mega Man: optional platform challenge has the known disappearing platforms. Poster of a power tank and MM Luchador
- Castle Crashers poster

Any more?

Mutant Blobs poster

VVVVVV

- Castle Crashers poster

Any more?

I forget where it was, but I saw a
poster of the mutant blob from Tales From Space and the blob from Sound Shapes eyeing each over in a stand-off poster.

Hung_real

VVVVVV

- Castle Crashers poster

Any more?

from the top of my head

- Team Fortress: Spy "gentlemen" poster
- Portal: Switch to death world in front of the mine forever house
- Obvious Journey one near jaguar boss
- ":q" face : the jaguar statues in Sierra Morena

Empty

beat the temple of war. wonderful. love all the platforming in that and the tule tree. this is such a tightly designed game goddam.

Top Bottom