• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guacamelee! |OT| ¡Mexicovania - Olé!

Sullichin

I'm an idiot. I bought this on Steam yesterday. I already have it for Vita, I forgot it was cross play. Oh well. I guess the PC version comes with more stuff and I can play at 1440p.
It's cool starting a new game while my Vita playthrough is almost finished and in the "run around collecting upgrades before fighting the last boss" stage, because on PC I'm seeing all of the blocked off parts of early areas that remind me I should go back on Vita.

AEREC

Gonna get the PC version once I plat the vita/ps3 version. love the idea of custom skins.

Also one of the steam screenshots showed a female version for each costume...I dont think those are available in the PSN version are they?

ss_2adcc9f8c99ec83455a1739da9190d7f9db404c6.1920x1080.jpg

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
9472120415_33f90b96d9_o.png

Someone please tell me how to connect with the last headbutt before I punch a hole through my wall.

Well I finished it and it took me almost six hours. I didn't do everything but I did quite a bit. Such a good looking game and I've never taken so many screenshots from one game like I did with this one. I'll definitely be playing through this again in the future.

Well, compared to something like SOTN it's seems rather linear. I did not play 2D metroids though.

I'm with you on thinking that calling it a Metroid-clone is a bit much but I think it's because I have a slightly more strict idea of what I consider it. This is like Outland in that both have a hub with a fairly linear progression and there's no reason to do any backtracking or exploring except to get the collectible items. I think the problem is that they're both quite linear but also the games always show you where to go next. Perhaps it can be turned off and I forgot to do so.

A true clone to me is like Shadow Complex (where I did turn off the objective arrow immediately) and the game had a much greater sense of exploration and sprawling paths. And it was common that you'd pass through sections over again while exploring and finding your way with new abilities and in the process you'd uncover secrets along the way to the correct path to the next story bit.

In a loose definition I understand why people call it a Metroid-clone but I was pretty underwhelmed by the exploration of this and Outland, the other somewhat recent darling with similar design. But this discussion really isn't best for this thread. Just thought I'd let you know that I'm definitely in agreement with you.

Thrakier

Yeah. I got no real sense of exploration in this game. It's nice and all, but it's also all very...how to put...linear and kinda abstract. Or...plain and simple. It's a fun game, don't get me wrong, but definitly not the league of the best Castlevania games.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
It only feels more linear then Metroid because of the constant objective markers, it's too bad that you can't shut them off.

Thrakier

It only feels more linear then Metroid because of the constant objective markers, it's too bad that you can't shut them off.

Like I said, I don't know about Metroid. But in SOTN, it felt like you were really in that big house/castle and although there were different sections, they didn't feel like levels...more like sub-worlds/buildings there you already knew, you will come back as a bat or a wolf or whatever. It was also integrated in the world very well, in a believable way. In this game it's more like "oh a red block I'll get a stamina behind that" or "oh a yellow block I'll get a heart piece behind that". It just feels much more artificial, which is fine I guess for a game which costs 12€ and is "just" an indie game. I like it, really, platforming is great. I just wouldn't put it on par with the best "true" Metroidvanias.

Blizzard

Banned
9472120415_33f90b96d9_o.png

Someone please tell me how to connect with the last headbutt before I punch a hole through my wall.
If anyone is curious, I just finished doing the last of the combo chicken combos with the keyboard. I tried using a 360 controller early on, but I'm pretty sure I have played the vast majority of the game, and probably all of the combo chicken stuff, using 100% keyboard.

Here is my customized keyboard layout that has worked well for everything:
guac2013-08-1123-23-2r4ush.jpg

I've still been too lazy to make a non-community LTTP thread for all the Steam newcomers, like me, to discuss the game in. I do think it is a great game though. The combo system is awesome, the art and music are well done, and I like the skill progression. Some of the areas that were slow to navigate previously can get much faster with new abilities, which is nice if you are backtracking hunting for treasure chests. I can understand that some people might prefer a game style where you have to backtrack/replay part of the world for game progress reasons rather than just treasure-hunting reasons, but it hasn't bothered me so far.

This game's just great, plus the whole crossplatform is awesome to use when you have it.

Though, I'm only 2h30 in the game and I'm already at 48% of the total of explored map...it worries me a little for the length of the game :/

Sullichin

This game's just great, plus the whole crossplatform is awesome to use when you have it.

Though, I'm only 2h30 in the game and I'm already at 48% of the total of explored map...it worries me a little for the length of the game :/

How can you see the explored total %? When you press pause, i'm pretty sure that % is only for the area you are in.

How can you see the explored total %? When you press pause, i'm pretty sure that % is only for the area you are in.

I don't recall for sure but doesn't it show if you go to the overall map view that shows the different regions? Or does that show the percentage of the zone currently highlighted? Perhaps it shows when you save/load?

Blizzard

Banned
I think in general people seem to suggest about 8 hours for a
normal difficulty
100% complete playthrough. I tend to play games slowly though, so I'll probably be more towards 10+.

Number45

The length of a 100% run is directly proportional to how well you seek out a couple of the more obscure secrets (assuming you go for that on your first run), and how well you deal with the two most challenging platform areas. I also encountered what seems to have been a bug in the desert area.

My second 100% run on hard took around half the time of my normal run I'd guess.

Hmmm 52%, 3h30, to the final boss
Calacalala I guess ? On the Sierra
. This is a little underwhelming :/ Oh well, guess I expected a great length from such a polished game.

Number45

If you don't explore, it's definitely a short game. As I said I think my hard 100% play through took me about 5 hours, whereas my first was closer to 10 (lots of wandering, and I only gave up on 100% on that run because of the bug). At 52% you're missing a good chunk though, and some of that will eat up some time.

It's been said in the last few pages I think, but I really REALLY hope they get to make a sequel. And that they make it a much more sprawling affair that rewards exploration.

I think in general people seem to suggest about 8 hours for a
normal difficulty
100% complete playthrough. I tend to play games slowly though, so I'll probably be more towards 10+.

My PS3 was on so I figured I might as well check my time. I have 6:18 on the clock for my 100% normal run. I did a fair bit of fumbling around and definitely didn't fly through all of the hard challenges. I could easily see people doing it in under 6 hours. I spent probably 15+ minutes on one thing in particular because I was missing a very simple detail that I doubt many others would have missed.

Blizzard

Banned
My PS3 was on so I figured I might as well check my time. I have 6:18 on the clock for my 100% normal run. I did a fair bit of fumbling around and definitely didn't fly through all of the hard challenges. I could easily see people doing it in under 6 hours. I spent probably 15+ minutes on one thing in particular because I was missing a very simple detail that I doubt many others would have missed.
I just checked, and I have 5:52 on the world map for my currently 62% normal run, and the next place I am supposed to head is
the sierra and temple in the sky.
. Like I said I guess I'm slow. :D

Really enjoying the game so far on my Vita, but one suggestion for the devs: please move wall gripping from triangle to holding the rear touch pad. Having to release triangle and then double jump away from a wall is really frustrating.

Really enjoying the game so far on my Vita, but one suggestion for the devs: please move wall gripping from triangle to holding the rear touch pad. Having to release triangle and then double jump away from a wall is really frustrating.
There's a "safe" delay where you can release the triangle button to jump, so it's not like you really have to to some finger aerobics :d
And how you would do on the PS3 huh ? What, R1 button ? Fair enough

mattp

so, i've been playing a bunch of this using my vita as a ps3 controller and i'm wondering, what the hell voodoo magic is drinkbox using to do this? is sony letting devs use their newer ps4/vita remote play tech in ps3 games or something? because as far as i can tell there's practically no added latency vs a dualshock, and the video quality for the map(granted, its mostly static) is SO much less compressed than normal remote play

GWX

Late game spoilers ahead:
Just got to Chac Mool. Damn, the shit you have to do to get there is fucked up. I have a bad feeling about these mask parts; that's the first one I got.

edit:
lol, just noticed all orb locations are called Chac Mool. Well, I was referring to the one at the top of Tule Tree.

Late game spoilers ahead:
Just got to Chac Mool. Damn, the shit you have to do to get there is fucked up. I have a bad feeling about these mask parts; that's the first one I got.

edit:
lol, just noticed all orb locations are called Chac Mool. Well, I was referring to the one at the top of Tule Tree.

Pretty sure most agree that's the hardest one. That might ease your mind a little. I found one other a bit difficult and another one I see people complain about I zipped right through. So who really knows?

GWX

Late game spoilers, again:
went through the "caverna de la locura" (something like that), and while it's challenging, it's not as hard as the top of Tule Tree. I actually finished it and didn't enter Chac Mool to get the orb! So I went through it again, but it was much easier the second time around. I'm so dumb *facepalm*.

Also, I've been working my way through the devil challenges. Some are pretty fun, some are annoying as hell, and some are straight up impossible (gotta figure them out somehow, or just watch a walkthrough). The 400-hit combo challenge is pretty satisfying, and I got the 150-hit and 300-hit achievement while doing it to boot.

Fantastic game, shame it's so short =(

edit:
Finally reached the portal at Sierra Morena but accidentally walked through the exit door instead of the portal and got dropped back outside, have to do the whole platforming section again, FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Haha, that's exactly what I did :(

Blizzard

Banned
If the
endgame devil
challenges aren't worth it, I'm not sure I will ever make it through those. I'm hoping 100% game completion and achievements don't require them. :p

I can only imagine what the game is like on hard mode if those challenges are normal difficulty.

I got to the end of the
Sierra
which I assume is about to end the game, so I am currently trying to hunt through various parts of the map for 100%. Question about one or two places in towns that seem to require a special power:
For the person stuck in a wall, and the doll stuck under the stairs, it almost seems like I would have to be able to go through a wall. There also looks like a chicken route in the Casa de Juan, but you can't go through it. I'd like to find the answer to these things myself, but if anyone can give a vague general answer to this it would be helpful: Do I need some power that I would unlock after Goat Fly, perhaps some power that lets me go through walls? And if so is that power acquired after beating the final boss sections?

If the
endgame devil
challenges aren't worth it, I'm not sure I will ever make it through those. I'm hoping 100% game completion and achievements don't require them. :p

I can only imagine what the game is like on hard mode if those challenges are normal difficulty.

I got to the end of the
Sierra
which I assume is about to end the game, so I am currently trying to hunt through various parts of the map for 100%. Question about one or two places in towns that seem to require a special power:
For the person stuck in a wall, and the doll stuck under the stairs, it almost seems like I would have to be able to go through a wall. There also looks like a chicken route in the Casa de Juan, but you can't go through it. I'd like to find the answer to these things myself, but if anyone can give a vague general answer to this it would be helpful: Do I need some power that I would unlock after Goat Fly, perhaps some power that lets me go through walls? And if so is that power acquired after beating the final boss sections?

I honestly don't remember the order of going to each location and the powers given within each but you'll get every power needed to do everything before you beat the game. In fact the last region doesn't give you any new ability from what I recall (perhaps it does?). I know I went and did everything before going and beating the game though.

And you've used the ability to go through walls already considering how far you are. I can't really be much more oblique than that.

GWX

[...]
I got to the end of the
Sierra

Dude (puzzle solution spoiler),
switch dimensions

Blizzard

Banned
Dude (puzzle solution spoiler),
switch dimensions
I'm an idiot, thanks.

I could have sworn I had checked both dimensions, but apparently I didn't notice in ONE dimension that you could go through the floor. And then I didn't realize in the Casa de Juan that you CAN change dimensions in that one corner. I also found a drinkbox logo in a different room, though you can't cahnge dimensions in the main part of the house.

I may have already solved the one with the house, but I'll have to try to find where it was when I get back to the other town.

Blizzard

Banned
Followup question. The Steam hints thread says:

wall fly before jumping into chicken form for super fast chicken flight
Is there a trick to doing this? Once I switch, I immediately stop moving fast.

Blizzard

Banned
How do I defeat the skeletion with a (phsyical) shield? Its always blocking me.
Are you certain they don't have a colored aura, like white, blue, green, red, or yellow? If not, I didn't realize those skeletons would block you. Try using
down + special, or up + special to knock them around, and then combo as normal. Any special move might work to start, actually.
I don't have the game in front of me so I might not be remembering correctly which moves work on them.

MooMoo

Hard mode makes me want to smash my Vita to pieces. Do you guys suggest going back and nabbing all of the heart pieces before the final boss? Also what are your guys' opinion on the DLC?

Top Bottom