• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guacamelee! |OT| ¡Mexicovania - Olé!

Grinchy

Banned
The top of Thule Tree and the Sierra I assume?

lol but of course. I had just beaten the game on Hard when I went right to trophy hunting. I think I had just burnt out a little bit on the game so trying to do those at the time was just infuriating.

lol but of course. I had just beaten the game on Hard when I went right to trophy hunting. I think I had just burnt out a little bit on the game so trying to do those at the time was just infuriating.

I thought the Sierra one was really easy. The fighting in the arenas is what frustrated me a lot. As well as the Thule one, too. That one was fairly rough but I still enjoyed working towards that one and getting better at getting through it.

It's short enough I'm a little tempted to do a Hard Mode run and finish up the achievements but I don't know if I have it in me to beat the last boss on Hard. The only reason I beat it on Normal was because he just sat there on my fifth attempt or so and I just beat on him without him attacking back. I was learning the patterns but not well enough to even consider how it'd go on Hard.

joeblow

Sierra is much easier if you make good use of adding an uppercut jump after standard jumps. I'm talking about the room where you have a ton of disappearing little bricks in seemingly random spots. You can use the 2x jump + uppercut chain to essentially jump onto a ledge that appears the same time as the one you are on.

It's hard to describe, but think of it this way.... ledges 1,3,5,7,9, etc. disappear together and reappear together. At the same time, ledges 2,4,6,8,etc. reappear together then disappear together. Instinct tells you to jump from #1 before it drops and land on ledge #2 just as it appears.

Don't do it that way. Instead, while you are on #1, look at #3 which is also solid. Do a 2x jump + uppercut towards #3 just as #1 disappears from under you, skipping #2 altogether. By the time you finish all three jump actions, #1 and #3 will reappear, and you can then land on #3. Go for #5 next that way, etc.

This method is easier because you always can see where you are going. Trying to do it the "normal" way forces you to memorize the pattern of invisible blocks, which can screw you up.

Grinchy

Banned
I thought the Sierra one was really easy. The fighting in the arenas is what frustrated me a lot. As well as the Thule one, too. That one was fairly rough but I still enjoyed working towards that one and getting better at getting through it.

Yeah I guess we all have our things. The fighting in the arenas was actually very easy for me but these last 2 orbs were too frustrating at the time.

Number45

I blasted through hard, including all of the bits I found challenging on normal. Knowing where everything is, and what everyone does, helps a HUGE amount. The only part that gave me trouble was the challenge rooms.

DO IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT! Such a satisfying platinum.

This game. Damn. So good. So fluid. So gorgeous. I'm in love. Are there any games on PSN comparable to this? In metroidvania style, that is.

I would say Outland is similar. I don't think Guacamelee and Outland are exactly Metroidvanias because you don't go back through old areas to make actual progression, just for upgrades and that sort of thing, so they're similar in their overall structure. Just be aware Outland can be quite brutal since it's gameplay is about switching between two color polarities with you being able to soak those the same color as you. It gets a bit bullet hell-esque. Pretty neat game but I didn't think it was nearly as amazing as the majority of people felt.

Skyzard

Banned
The new costumes are pretty cool and nice to play as the second character on Vita as well.

Jump-flying with the chicken suit in the main town with all the chickens is more fun than it should be :p

webkatt

I played a demo of this and love it. I'm gonna wait until it goes 10 or less. I missed out on the PS+ sale when it first came out. now i'm kicking myself

televator

I am Mexican... and I love my Metroidvania... Take. My. Money. How did I not know about this game?! Shit! I can't open my wallet fast enough.

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
So when is the soundtrack coming out? This game has some of the best music I've heard in years.

I'm a sucker for spanish acoustic guitar.

Servbot24

Banned
I would say Outland is similar. I don't think Guacamelee and Outland are exactly Metroidvanias because you don't go back through old areas to make actual progression, just for upgrades and that sort of thing, so they're similar in their overall structure. Just be aware Outland can be quite brutal since it's gameplay is about switching between two color polarities with you being able to soak those the same color as you. It gets a bit bullet hell-esque. Pretty neat game but I didn't think it was nearly as amazing as the majority of people felt.

Outland had pretty bland environments, but aside from that I liked it a lot. Definitely worth trying out.

Eccocid

Just got the game from vita store!
Tips is my third game so far on Vita after bundled Uncharted and Soul Sacrifice.
Damn I also want P4 G but will finish Ss and Guacamelee first.
Btw is there any way to see game sizes on Vita psn store before buying them? I can't find it!

Number45

No I don't think you can find them directly on the Vita store, but you should be able to find them on the web store (and the blog posts will often list them as well).

Sullichin

Loving this game. I'm somewhere in the tula tree, last ability I got was dimension swap. How far am I? I hope I still have a lot left.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Just bought this in the sale, some questions:

How good is this game for co-op? I know it's designed for singleplayer, so I'm not expecting any co-op puzzles, but does player 2 feel useful? Are there any problems with sharing the screen? I know the game involves switching between worlds, how does this work with a second player?

AEREC

Loving this game. I'm somewhere in the tula tree, last ability I got was dimension swap. How far am I? I hope I still have a lot left.

70%...but I'm sure you've probably already finished the game now.

Finished my first playthrough last night and this is probably my downloadable game of the generation so far, the game has a lot going for it:

+ Great Atmosphere (really unique theme in gaming)
+ Great Platforming (getting some of the orbs was pretty challenging)
+ Great combat (almost felt like it had fighting game mechanics)
+ Great Boss fights

- Could have been a little longer

Currently starting a Hard playthrough with the Costume DLC pack. Also a little bummed because I managed to find all the orbs on my first playthough and
was expecting to get a new power after finding all 6, only to find out it just unlocks an alternate ending...was expecting a new power or something.

Cant wait for more DLC or a sequel.

ryushe

Finally finished the game today after putting it down for a while and I wanna know one thing: Would it be wrong for me to say this is the best metroidvania game I've ever played?

And yeah, I've played most 2D Metroid's as well as Castlevania's....

AEREC

Finally finished the game today after putting it down for a while and I wanna know one thing: Would it be wrong for me to say this is the best metroidvania game I've ever played?

And yeah, I've played most 2D Metroid's as well as Castlevania's....

It's up there as one of my favorites but it doesnt have the replay-ability of the DS castlevanias.

Number45

Yeah, I'd agree with that as well. A longer game with more to find/unlock would really move this to the next level. All of the building blocks are there.

AEREC

Just noticed Mutant Blobs Attack was on steam so Im guessing Guacamelee will eventually make its way there to. Will have to double dip if it does.

Endo Punk

Managed to get gold on each challenge. Not that hard but definitely the right amount of difficulty to keep you invested. Really dug this DLC and I'm glad they created a whole area around the challenges, really gives it more life. The new costumes are cool as well.

As long as DrinkBox keeps delivering quality DLC I will continue to support this game. Even with all the internet and gaming easter eggs the game still manages to have an identity of its own. I think this may be my favourite indie game of this gen. Would buy sequel in a heart beat.

Finished this finally this morning

Game started as cute/novel and became fucking godtier

Now im working on True Ending. Dont know about anyone else but I actually found the last screen for the Bad Ending hauntingly beautiful!

Endo Punk

Finished this finally this morning

Game started as cute/novel and became fucking godtier

Now im working on True Ending. Dont know about anyone else but I actually found the last screen for the Bad Ending hauntingly beautiful!

I haven't seen the bad ending in quite a while. Can someone post that pic please :D

What didn't you like about the good ending? It was funny, sweet and hinted at a sequel.

Just loved the artwork of the "bad" and found it more bittersweet and evocative.
Don't always need the traditional happy ending and wish they would have made that one cannon. Someone else can get the mask if there ever was a sequel

Endo Punk

Just loved the artwork of the "bad" and found it more bittersweet and evocative.
Don't always need the traditional happy ending and wish they would have made that one cannon. Someone else can get the mask if there ever was a sequel

Well Drinkbox never said which ending was canon and the new one might not even be a direct sequel. As long this is not the last Mexicovania I'll be happy.

The game was.. Juan in the top 10 metroidvania inspired games list. Glad it's getting exposure and I hope the team is happy with the sales.

crispyben

I'm playing the new challenge rooms, and while many of them are stumping me, I'm curious about #11. Can anyone of you help me? I tried with Juan and as a chicken, but that vine on the right side keeps blocking me...

Skyzard

Banned
Yeah, I meant the recently released DLC, El Diablo's Domain, which is a new area with 17 rooms featuring various challenges and medals.

Sorry, thanks I didn't know it was out already, I had just downloaded the update file, think maybe we get it tomorrow here in the UK or something,

Actually it's already on the store, surprised I missed it! Thanks, downloading now

crispyben

Sorry, thanks I didn't know it was out already, I had just downloaded the update file, think maybe we get it tomorrow here in the UK or something,

Actually it's already on the store, surprised I missed it! Thanks, downloading now
No problem, glad I could help. I hope you can reciprocate once you manage to finish challenge #11!

Skyzard

Banned
No problem, glad I could help. I hope you can reciprocate once you manage to finish challenge #11!

I would try if I can ever figure out how to access the area! Currently wandering through the desert after messing about in the tule tree....

Okay found it, should have looked at the world map carefully!

crispyben

I would try if I can ever figure out how to access the area! Currently wandering through the desert after messing about in the tule tree....

Okay found it, should have looked at the world map carefully!
The area's actually quite fleshed out, with a backstory even, though there's some heavy 'asset optimization'.

Skyzard

Banned
The area's actually quite fleshed out, with a backstory even, though there's some heavy 'asset optimization'.

Yeah I'm enjoying it! I skipped a couple to jump to 11 which is quite a nice change from the fighting, love the platforming stuff.

The vine part of that was quite easy for me - I just pressed block (L) while going through it. I stumbled with the second teleporter with the close spikes - had to jump carefully and not too far into the teleporter, even backing out a little so I don't tp into spikes since I'm moving rightwards into the tp.

So at the start I jump up, it teleports, I fall down and do my second jump but with very little horizontal momentum so I don't hit the spikes when I teleport.
It teleports me, I avoid the spikes and drop down then hit forward circle, teleport. Hit circle up straight away get teleported - press block as you go through vines then since your momentum is building up with each drop teleport, the last one you have to be very quick and swipe up into a chicken to land through the gap right in the middle! You still have quite a bit of time to do the block for the vine though, your momentum isn't that fast yet.

Hope there are more like that!

crispyben

Yeah I'm enjoying it! I skipped a couple to jump to 11 which is quite a nice change from the fighting, love the platforming stuff.

The vine part of that was quite easy for me - I just pressed block (L) while going through it. I stumbled with the second teleporter with the close spikes - had to jump carefully and not too far into the teleporter, even backing out a little so I don't tp into spikes since I'm moving rightwards into the tp.

So at the start I jump up, it teleports, I fall down and do my second jump but with very little horizontal momentum so I don't hit the spikes when I teleport.
It teleports me, I avoid the spikes and drop down then hit forward circle, teleport. Hit circle up straight away get teleported - press block as you go through vines then since your momentum is building up with each drop teleport, the last one you have to be very quick and swipe up into a chicken to land through the gap right in the middle! You still have quite a bit of time to do the block for the vine though, your momentum isn't that fast yet.

Hope there are more like that!
Thanks, I'll give it a try ASAP :)

EDIT: done, I don't really know what was holding me back... I'm missing a few gold medals, but I don't think it's worth the aggravation, I've had my fun.

Sullichin

70%...but I'm sure you've probably already finished the game now.

Finished my first playthrough last night and this is probably my downloadable game of the generation so far, the game has a lot going for it:

+ Great Atmosphere (really unique theme in gaming)
+ Great Platforming (getting some of the orbs was pretty challenging)
+ Great combat (almost felt like it had fighting game mechanics)
+ Great Boss fights

- Could have been a little longer

Currently starting a Hard playthrough with the Costume DLC pack. Also a little bummed because I managed to find all the orbs on my first playthough and
was expecting to get a new power after finding all 6, only to find out it just unlocks an alternate ending...was expecting a new power or something.

Cant wait for more DLC or a sequel.

I actually didn't finish it yet, thanks for the info. I hadn't played in a while and I made some more progress today. Now it's pretty clear that I'm near the end - I just beat Javier Jaguar. Man, that was hard. It took me several tries but I was also really rusty.

My least favorite thing about the game is the timed exploding enemies. They make me all anxious. Plus I was dropped in a room with them after not playing for weeks and forgot my powers. I made it harder on myself because I forgot I could run up walls which I was clearly supposed to do in this particular encounter.

I love all of the powers in this game and how they're integrated into the platforming and combat. If there's one thing this game does better than any Metroid, it's that. I'm really impressed with how well they all build on each other and how the level design is based around them. I'm finding it to be a pretty difficult game that is sometimes frustrating, but very rewarding when I get past where I'm stuck. I'll probably get this again on Steam. This will definitely be on my GOTY list.

Blizzard

Banned
I was wondering if I should make a LTTP thread with the Steam release. I picked this up on Steam and have been looking forward to it for a long time. :)

Number45

I was wondering if I should make a LTTP thread with the Steam release. I picked this up on Steam and have been looking forward to it for a long time. :)
Not sure on the logistics of a LTTP thread for a game that released yesterday. :p

Perhaps a new Steam OT, or have this one updated to include specifics of the Steam release?

Top Bottom