• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardian Heroes HD |OT|

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Multiplayer supports system link. I guess you might be able to do 12-player local matches after all.

Teknoman

Lets get a GAF Guardian Heroes tag going for co=op and versus.

Haklong said:
Got to pay this before work this morning. Man the memories came back. Music and gameplay is still so awesome after all these years.

Im at the title screen now and after hearing that music, nostalgia wave :D

Teknoman

Protip:

Before you start playing the game, go to gallery mode. Watch the intro and press X.

EDIT:

omg sound test...this is too much.

yo_soy_el_topo said:
Anyone know why they changed corpses to black when they are dead in story mode now and if there is anyway to change them? Kinda annoying.

So you can't corpse juggle for XP. :)

I'd be down for some GAF coop-action.

You can still corpse juggle for exp in original mode.

Oh and if you're Randy or Nicole do not put a single levelup point into STR

Don't put points into AGI, period.

Teknoman

PROTIP #2:

Newcomers and people who just dont remember -

Special attacks are done via street fighter style button combinations. In remix mode, just press the right stick in to use magic.

Teknoman

shidoshi said:
By the way, here's my review: EGM Review: Guardian Heroes HD

THE UGLY: How much some people paid for Saturn copies of Guardian Heroes

Amen to that. But along with Radiant and Ikaruga, those dark days are finally over.

The new remix mode graphics and controls are awesome in motion, and make me feel bad I ever flipped out about them back when the first screens were posted.

Thanks for the protips Teknoman. Will be sure to do that when I get the game later tonight. And great reviews Pepsiman and shidoshi, I am convinced.

Holy fuck remix mode is a pain sometimes.

the mages ice spells are brutal. One blast took my Nicole from 460 hp to DEAD.

Some aspects could be scaled back. One mistake = death is just a bit too punishing imo.

Gaspode_T

Wow I insta-bought so I don't know how the demo is but I'm a little bit worried about how the casual gamers will think of this. On one hand I think there's a chance the absurd amount of Castle Crashers fans will eat it up, on the other hand it seems to have a higher-than-I-expected learning curve and only text menus in "How to play" as a tutorial. Anyway, word of mouth is what this game's success is riding on.

I picked the girl that trips and falls down a lot, maybe not a good character to start playing this game because I didn't make it very far without running out of credits.

Teknoman

I dont think you can play versus or co-op with random people...can you?

EDIT: Nevermind, Network match has quick and custom or the option to start an XBL party.

Teknoman

Gaspode_T said:
Wow I insta-bought so I don't know how the demo is but I'm a little bit worried about how the casual gamers will think of this. On one hand I think there's a chance the absurd amount of Castle Crashers fans will eat it up, on the other hand it seems to have a higher-than-I-expected learning curve and only text menus in "How to play" as a tutorial. Anyway, word of mouth is what this game's success is riding on.

I picked the girl that trips and falls down a lot, maybe not a good character to start playing this game because I didn't make it very far without running out of credits.

Shes mostly healing and "priest/cleric" type spells, but has some crazy forcefield spell that can destroy you.

People are either going to need to go to training mode like a normal fighter or how to play.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
adversesolutions said:
completely agree and i'm surprised i'm not seeing more posts on it. when you try to dash, you jump into the background because the of the janky 360 pad.

how could they have shipped this without realizing that and giving us an option to make dashes button-only...?

Never had this issue. How are you jumping into the BG due to double-tapping? It's set to buttons (LB and LT). Sure your finger isn't just grazing the triggers?

The 360 pad isn't THAT bad. I've been playing between it and analog, and have had no real issues. Doing Instant-Air Dashes and such with no difficulty. The thing thats worse for me, is being turned in the wrong direction when doing certain specials.

yo_soy_el_topo said:
Anyone know why they changed corpses to black when they are dead in story mode now and if there is anyway to change them? Kinda annoying.

(Maybe my memories are smudged by having the demo so long, lol.) Fading to black isn't to unusal, though. They're not absolute black or anything, just dark. Maybe if you raise the "brightness" for nighttime stages in the options, they won't appear as dark for you?

Really does help for VS and such though.

Started a "Who knows what goes?" lobby

Random characters
Random levels
Random teams
ALL RANDOMS ALL THE TIME.

US VS RNG

Heaven or hell blah blah.

Why does my upload connection seem to suck?

Actually, Nicole (the priestess) is not that bad to start with. She can hit really fast and although she doesn't do an awful lot of damage, she can put a lot of enemies quickly into stun or juggle them really well given her abilities to jump, airdash and superjump. Her heal spell is really good and her force field spell used in a corner kills enemies like nothing else.
The tripping attack and her light pillar moves also are great GTFO moves to put some distance between herself and the enemy.

Just bought this and beat story mode. Unbelievable gameplay. Amazing how something so old still surpasses the currents games in the genre. I think the redone artwork looks amazing(much better than Vaseline filter). Playing with a TE stick here, Anyone else on a stick find the best button config? I'm new to the game so I don't know what get used more often.

Teknoman

ARXIN said:
Just bought this and beat story mode. Unbelievable gameplay. Amazing how something so old still surpasses the currents games in the genre. I think the redone artwork looks amazing(much better than Vaseline filter). Playing with a TE stick here, Anyone else on a stick find the best button config? I'm new to the game so I don't know what get used more often.

Go back and replay story mode too. Different endings, different stage paths, etc.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Becquerel said:
Actually, Nicole (the priestess) is not that bad to start with. She can hit really fast and although she doesn't do an awful lot of damage, she can put a lot of enemies quickly into stun or juggle them really well given her abilities to jump, airdash and superjump. Her heal spell is really good and her force field spell used in a corner kills enemies like nothing else.
The tripping attack and her light pillar moves also are great GTFO moves to put some distance between herself and the enemy.

Yeah, I think people sell her short. She's frail, but can heal herself. She works great with a 2nd player too, since she can heal you, and keep the group from eating through continues.

ProTip: If you're new to GH.... just play Han. Really. He starts off the story with a sword that Boost his stats, and even after the sword is taken by "That Big Golden Freak", you can get another one on one of the story paths! (The one that leads to wildwoods, if I remember right). His range is great on his pokes, he clashes with lots of moves while advancing, and he's a nice, strong tank, overall.

Little brother and I got a game over on out first playthrough attempt on remix. After the rust was off, we went back and beat down both the "Skyborn" and "Earthblood" very wrecklessly, lol. I kinda like the new script, though I will admit, modern games make me grin a bit at the quick transitions. You know there's be loads of in-between cinematics if this were new. I like the fast pace though; the lack of loading really makes the game blazing quick.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
PepsimanVsJoe said:
I've been using the Hori real arcade pro EX-SE the entire time.

Then again I've always played Guardian Heroes with a stick.

Can you recommend a good control setup for stick or is the default good enough?

Mike M

Nick N
Becquerel said:
So, how exactly do you unlock new characters? I just beat the game on Easy (to get into it again) and unlocked a Royal Guard.

In the Saturn version, characters were unlocked by beating them in Story Mode. I know Valgar was only unlockable after beating him in a specific fight where he was one of the final bosses, I think there might be a smattering of other characters that are only unlockable after beating them in a specific fight (Despite the fact that several routes through the story would have you fight them at various points)

Teknoman

If no one else makes a GAF Guardian Heroes tag by the time I get back (which is going to be later tonight) then I guess i'll go ahead and make it. Hopefully it turns out better than my Hard Corps tag lol.

Sixfortyfive

Pffft, lost my last continue on one of the final bosses. Sucks that my partner was eating up some credits at the beginning.

ARXIN said:
Playing with a TE stick here, Anyone else on a stick find the best button config? I'm new to the game so I don't know what get used more often.
- The "Command" function is singleplayer only. You use it to tell the undead hero what to do.
- The "Magic" function brings up a select menu for magic commands and can only be used by the main characters. Other characters have to use the manual inputs for magic spells (and the heroes also have input commands if you'd prefer to use them).
- The "Row Shift" functions move you between different background plains. There are two functions that always move you toward the foreground or background (Closer and Away). The nondescript Row Shift function will move you back one plane at a time until you're at the back of the field, where if you press it again it will bring you all the way back to the front. If you hold down as you hit the button, you'll move in the opposite direction instead.

Since my controller only has 8 buttons total, I've eschewed the Closer and Away commands for Remix mode.

I didn't check the achievements list while playing this, so color me surprised when I saw
Golden Silver
of all characters in this game.

Mike M said:
In the Saturn version, characters were unlocked by beating them in Story Mode. I know Valgar was only unlockable after beating him in a specific fight where he was one of the final bosses, I think there might be a smattering of other characters that are only unlockable after beating them in a specific fight (Despite the fact that several routes through the story would have you fight them at various points)

Yea I remember unlocking the red knight girl by - I think beating the game on normal, and some of the later bosses by beating them on hard. But iirc, the standard enemies being playable is a new thing.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
Original graphics look so... BEAUTIFUL! Played a couple rounds of arcade mode and oh my.. Like a mad orgy of scaling sprites and pixels all over my face. Really didn't expect it to look quite as good as it does. Guardian Heroes OG graphics held up far better than Radiant Silvergun's OG mode. Really thought it would be the other way around.

d0c_zaius

game is amazing! I just messed around with arcade mode for a while, but I instantly starting remembering how to play.

This game would never work on my saturn for some reason....and I bought it 4 times because I thought it was a problem with the copy.

Best birthday game release ever!

raviolico

d0c_zaius said:
game is amazing! I just messed around with arcade mode for a while, but I instantly starting remembering how to play.

This game would never work on my saturn for some reason....and I bought it 4 times because I thought it was a problem with the copy.

Best birthday game release ever!

happy birthday!

Mike M

Nick N
Becquerel said:
Yea I remember unlocking the red knight girl by - I think beating the game on normal, and some of the later bosses by beating them on hard. But iirc, the standard enemies being playable is a new thing.

They were always playable in versus mode.

Sixfortyfive

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Connection errors like crazy, rampant high-level Nicole abuse.

Love it
Sorry for fucking up your game. I'm still getting the hang of remix mode... and I had our lifebars reversed. I'm so noob.

Had to head out.

Sixfortyfive said:
Sorry for fucking up your game. I'm still getting the hang of remix mode... and I had our lifebars reversed. I'm so noob.

Had to head out.

No worries.
Didn't realize Mid did so much freaking damage now.Holy crap.

Top Bottom