• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardian Heroes HD |OT|

Ugh, if you try to buy this with a US account, it costs 3429038200 MS points. So annoying. Guess I'll just play the demo for now.

Teknoman

iconoclast said:
Ugh, if you try to buy this with a US account, it costs 3429038200 MS points. So annoying. Guess I'll just play the demo for now.

How can you download the demo with a US account anyway?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Teknoman said:
How can you download the demo with a US account anyway?

Just make a new silver account on Xbox.com. Especially good if you plan to move to Mexico some day!

Anywho, demo is pretty nice, and gives you great insight into what has changed in the game. Some minor notes, all based off Han + In game Manual:

The old "magic button" is now a "special attack" button, as well. For instance, with Han, this makes him do his HEAVY slash, and if you hold down while pressing it, it does an uppercut.

Characters have been kinda modified to have weak -> Strong -> Special attack chains.

Throws have been shifted to Strong and Special, rather than just Strong. There's also Throw breaking.

In the air, you now seem to have "Multi hit, Strong hit, and Smash-down" strikes. Think of it like MvC / DS Bleach games.

UNIVERSAL AIR DASH! Depending on what you DO out the dash, you get a lot of options. Sailing through their air with attacks, quick downard angle retreats with the guard button... mix it with double jumps and different air attack properties, and it's a very freeing system.

Hit stun and effects seem altered; certain attacks vaccum the opponent into your combos.

Han seems to be missing his old f+Weak in remix mode. Maybe it's mapped to something else?

Universal "Blowback" and "Advancing Guard" systems have been added. They take Magic points to use. Also, improved Aerial Ukemi systems.

----

In the end, the Remix mode is almost like a sequel. I can see a LOT of fun coming from exploring these changes with the various characters! It should also help make the game feel much more manageable to play, and give you much more control.

Oh, and the script is changed from the old US script, just so ya know. Even in Saturn Mode! "We got a Friggin' Undead Warrior with us!" says Han at one point. It has it's own charm points, however, so it should be fun to see how it is over the full story. Seems competent, and like it's trying it's best to make sure each character has their own "voice" and mannerisms.

m0dus, does that special art at the download screen hint at a fully redrawn intro? I have no idea from the Demo download, lol. It looked very solid though, I must say! (I'm on an SD screen as well, so I wonder if I saw all of it?)

Oh, talking about Art reminds me: Gamer pic unlocks from just staring the game. Undead Hero is go!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Teknoman said:
Is the original anime intro in game?

Impossible to tell from Trial. It didn't start up when the game started... but I'd hope it'd be under Gallery mode. That mode is locked in trial, however.

I've tried buying it from my US account but I get an error. Seems I can buy it from my mexican account I made though, so how would I go about playing it on my US account if I bought it from my mexican one? Is it even possible?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
btrboyev said:
Why isn't this up in the US? It's wed, what was released today?

Ugly Americans, Rock of Ages, The Baconing, and Mortal Kombat Arcade Collection all came out today.

It's not on the US store today, because this isn't the release date. Being out on the Mexico store is an error, apparently. Possibly a fragment of an old release schedule, or maybe they only listen to half of Nelson's twitters ;)

If you have a Mexican account, and points on it, sure, buy it if you like. As long as it's purchased on your system, the full game is available to anyone else who plays on the system.

Most of us probably want to wait though, to have it tied to our main XBL accounts, and to ensure that we have no possible errors with the game.

I'm fine with waiting some, if they take the time to give the game some promotion and such. If they just sit on their hands for _____ week(s) however, this'll just be annoying.

As a GH fan in general, I'm glad if it gets released alongside not so many different games, however. The game deserves to get as much attention and love as possible, and releasing it alongside 4 other games would have surely hurt it's sales.

Yama

xbulletholes said:
anyone who doesn't have a native mexican account able to lead us through how they got/bought the game?
can we use paypal?
Just make a Windows Live account with the native country set to Mexico. Sign up with that e-mail address. Add funs as always, yes PayPal works.

Yama said:
Just make a Windows Live account with the native country set to Mexico. Sign up with that e-mail address. Add funs as always, yes PayPal works.
thank youu.
need a mexican postal code, damnitttt :(

edit: finally found a mcdonalds on google maps. :D

mujun

yo_soy_el_topo said:
So if I buy this on my mexican account I can play it just as normal with achievements etc. on my original US account?

Yep. That's how it works for me anyway with a U.S secondary account for buying and a Japanese main account for playing.

P.S Why, even after creating a Mexican account can I not queue up the demo on Xbox.com?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Wow, the mexican thing is actually real and people have been getting it? I still need to see some vids before I believe this is possible.

I've got enough on my plate already(About to work on a review of Ugly Americans! ...........................................hurray), I'll just be an honest Jones and wait for the actual release.
Stinks hardcore though.

mikespit1200 said:
Never had a Saturn to play this game, but I think it'll be a day-one purchase. Absolutely love beat 'em ups. I really got into Scott Pilgrim, X-Men Arcade and Castle Crashers. I assume I'll dig this one too?

Oh hell yes!

This game is better than any of those. One of the best beat 'em ups ever made.

The trial so far is phenomenal. This will be the first game that might take the throne from MvC2 as my most all time played. Really impressed at remix mode, it's like they combined that Bleach DS game with the original GH for some really fun combos. Vs. Mode is very limited but has potential to be one of the greatest things ever. I did a 12 Han FFA earlier with no slowdown, it was bizarre and amazing at the same time.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
PepsimanVsJoe said:
*sigh* Right then.
Anyone else have some impressions to post?

I can post more random stuff! Still all based off the demo.

The music loops a bit differently. This is probably a good thing! High quality, but no unnatural stops like old streamed-from-CD stuff was.

Some voices sound different, and some new voices have been added. It's similiar to KoF XIII's new voicework; it leaves a lot of the old stuff, but also gives higher quality recordings, or alternate ones. I can't tell if there are any totally new actors, as the new voices mesh rather well in tone and rhythm.

Sword and Normal Han are a bit different. In Remis mode, Normal Han's Y attack is a kick. Sword Hand's is the ->+weak attack move that regular Han has in normal mode, but seemingly not in remix. This actually is pretty cool though, makes Sword Han a bit more unique!

The Remix mode might as well be a massive SF-style rebalance + mini sequel. It plays like Bleach DS in many ways. Universal options are very welcome, and these systems see well thought out and developed. It seems to give new wrinkles to each character you can play in the trial. You can feel changes in things as minor as frame differences on attack start/recovery, to as large as new uses and applications for old skills, and the thought put into giving characters a new combo series/3 button attack system.

For instance, just the fact that you can dash+rapid punch with Ginjiro now, since his old -> + Weak Attack is now on it's own button, gives you new ways to dash in and attack, that come in VERY handy on the Hard difficulty, which starts unfair for EVERYONE except Sword Han, since the blade gives him a generous all-stat boost.

The more I read the new writing, the more I like it. It's a little odd in places (just like the old one), but watching Zur say something to Valgar along the lines of "You're my Assistant... Emphasis on the first 3 letters..." reminds me so much of Working Designs, who pulled a similiar "Yes, Commander Focker..." joke in Vanguard Bandits, that it's kinda pleasant. Firmly rooted in that age where subtly slipping stuff past the radar was more enjoyable than just flat out saying and doing stuff, like they'd do now.

The remix graphics look great on SD, btw. It looks more like a redraw than a crappy filter. Lines are very crisp, the pencilshade effect is actually quite nice, and it makes the larger, once horridly pixely giant characters look as if they're just made at native resolutions.

I've now spent hours just picking apart the demo... it's just THAT good. I think they put a good amount of love in this port, as this feels closer to "what would GH be like, if it was remade today?" than AGH ever did.

I'd just love to see MORE now! Not only because this is a demo, but because I love all the gameplay, art, and personality just as much as I did in 1996. It's great to prove that nostalgia doesn't cloud a games quality and value; some games just ARE that good, and there's no reason something this well made should have ever been missed by any who love this style of gameplay and genre.

Eh, that's enough gushing, though, lol. I'd really like to see what many others think about the changes, especially those who have purchased the full game already...

Teknoman

This is going to be one of the best games this generation. Man I hope they netcode holds up for the 2p co-op...and especially the 12p versus. Returning to local co-op is going to be fun too.

I wish the SP was rebalanced for 4p co-op though. That would have been great.

SAB CA, thanks for making the wait more difficult with those great posts, man. Remix mode and all of the changes make this sound like a pretty amazing release.

d0c_zaius

I'm probably more excited for this than most people as the original game never worked on my 4th Saturn, along with Golden Axe: The Duel.

Of course I could live without playing The Duel, but not being able to play this really pissed me off.

This will probably be the best DL game of the year next to Radiant Silvergun of course.

Thanks Mjr. Nelson for the trolling :(

d0c_zaius said:
I'm probably more excited for this than most people as the original game never worked on my 4th Saturn, along with Golden Axe: The Duel.

Of course I could live without playing The Duel, but not being able to play this really pissed me off.
You're right. Missing out on playing GA The Duel isn't a big deal as it wasn't much more than an afternoon or two of play before it was clear there was a lack of balance and depth for a fighter, even for the time of release ('96?). Not worth the $75 I paid for it, and another $75 for X-Men CotA and an old ST-Key before I got my Saturn switch-modded later that year.

Got the demo. Plays and looks just as I remember it back when I was in high school. Actually even better. I will buy this once it is officially released on US Live. Until then the demo will have to do.

d0c_zaius

MightyHedgehog said:
You're right. Missing out on playing GA The Duel isn't a big deal as it wasn't much more than an afternoon or two of play before it was clear there was a lack of balance and depth for a fighter, even for the time of release ('96?). Not worth the $75 I paid for it, and another $75 for X-Men CotA and an old ST-Key before I got my Saturn switch-modded later that year.

yup. but the vs games and vampire savior were worth the 80$. ST-Key nostalgia overload!

I'm feeling a release for this will be around the 21st + or - a week.

FinKL

Downloaded the demo from a Mexican live acnt. For anyone wondering, you can still play it on ur own account once you have it on your system. The XBOX banner channels when you log on to Live even show Guardian Heroes coming out in Mexico with all the other Arcade games.

Played 12 player FFA with 11 CPU's of the same character. Seriously, how did Treasure know I wanted a 12 player fighting game...

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
yo_soy_el_topo said:
Really impressed at remix mode, it's like they combined that Bleach DS game with the original GH for some really fun combos.
I need this in my life.

Won't be back home until Monday at the earliest though. :(

Special J

Banned
i like segas marketing style, just announce it the day it releases with no marketing then have the attitude of "its out now buy it if you want whatever i guess"

*obviously not completely accurate

Top Bottom