• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardian Heroes HD |OT|

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
charsace said:
Did they redraw all the sprites or are they using deferred shading to get the new look?

A decent filter that makes all the characters look like they're drawn with solid outlines + Pencil shade-style shadows filling in over the old shadow areas.

Seems like they were going for something of a modified Rakugaki Showtime look!

For that matter, I wonder how many Treasure referencing colors there are in the new colors the characters have (as now each needed to have 12 for VS mode...)

IIRC There really wasn't anything stopping you from using all of the same characters and character colors in the original Versus mode.

Made things a bit difficult to follow but oh well!

The number of hours I'm going to spend tinkering with this version's Versus mode. Actually I take that back...days? weeks? months? It could be unending. Versus mode works on so many levels. The original Guardian Heroes actually restricted certain Versus mode character combinations because there wasn't enough RAM. Even then the possibility existed that too much can go on at once, causing certain affects and attacks to disappear entirely. It's like Treasure was just cramming whatever they could into the Saturn and trying to figure out how much it would take to make the system explode.

Nowadays our game consoles explode just because they're crappily built

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
You can still have same-color characters in this one too, it's just nice that they give you the chance not to fight armies of clones, lol. I got so attached to things like Sky-spirit Valgar, or Golden Royal Knight, that I look forward to actually falling for new colors in this release. Dark Skin Valgar-colored Han with an army of Light-skin Valgar Colored Han is already a fun army to play around with in even the trial...

And of course, as I'm sure you know, not only are the character restrictions gone now, but so is the slowdown. It's... really weird to see multiple G-Silvers raining down skyfall beams without any hitches. Or watching the Hailstorm move of Serena's freezing everyone, without that old familiar system chuggin' going on.

Those versus options go above and beyond the call of duty, too. I never expected to be able to turn off individual special moves, PER CHARACTER in it! What game even DOES that? The ability to take away the "broken" portions of characters you, or your community dislike, to still allow them to be played, in your own version of "Fair"... not to mention doing things like changing the MP requirements for techniques, counter options, stuns, and the fact that a large amount of character now have a "magic series" of attacks, to help get more guarenteed damage...

It's truly insane how free-form they've made this port. It's possibly more ambitious than the SoRRemake project.

It's crazy, because I'd REALLY love to see DLC for this game, lol. If anything for the ELC characters was broken, who cares? YOU COULD PATCH IT YOURSELF, day 1! How awesome would it be to have Alien Soldier, Marina, Dynamite Headdy, the kids from the new S&P, or A version of the Bangai-O in this game? Or crossover characters from other companies?

They've got a great game here, and a great framework! If this is a sign of the possibilities of Saturn Ports to current-gen consoles... then the days of future-past look very bright indeed.

Dammit SAB CA.
You're making the wait even harder.

Okay gotta turn this ship around somehow.
Let's talk about how much Guardian Heroes sucks. That way it makes the pain more bearable.

I'll start...............by saying that the rest of the internet should go first.

(I've got nothing)

Mike M

Nick N
I'm curious if the rebalanced mode does anything about the stuff like Sword Han inadvertently setting himself on fire with his strong attack because his hurtbox would overlap the hotbox of the flaming enemy he just hit.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
It sucks that... Guardian Heroes... errr...

.. Not being able to skip Kanon's Trip through Heaven and He... wait, they fixed that.

.. Not being able to make matchups with All... wait... fixed that too.

... Well, there's still some characters who can't block! Oh, and I'd have loved to see the Civilians get semi-full movesets!

.. Some are mad that there's no 4 player story mode Co-Op. I don't think I'd have really wanted this, personally. And also that you can't play ANY character in story mode. I don't mind this either; I'd only want that, if they re-wrote the game for every character it'd be apropo for. Maybe in a sequel, they could make it so every character in the game would have their own unique story path, which could then be unlocked for any character after the fact, with a default "hey, you're not the right person!" B-side story for fun?

.. However, the part that REALLY sucks about Guardian Heroes HD... is the fact it's not fully released yet! You can also be juggled into your own status, if someone hits you into it, but it won't just happen on it's own.

Mike M said:
I'm curious if the rebalanced mode does anything about the stuff like Sword Han inadvertently setting himself on fire with his strong attack because his hurtbox would overlap the hotbox of the flaming enemy he just hit.

Yes, yes it does. You don't hurt yourself when setting others on fire/ice/lightning with your own skills anymore, but you can potentially hurt others, especially if those others were first hit by something else.

XLant

Neo Member
Just curious: who's everyone's first pick? Calling Randy for co-op!

One more month's wait shouldn't be too bad, all things considered. Thanks Massive Nights!
charsace said:
Did they redraw all the sprites or are they using deferred shading to get the new look?
I know you've already been answered, but here's a brief comparison video courtesy of DJ Fob Fresh at segashiro.com

Some, if not all of it is redrawn.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Okay gotta turn this ship around somehow.
Let's talk about how much Guardian Heroes sucks. That way it makes the pain more bearable.
I've had my copy for years, and not once has it ever offered to make me breakfast.

Picked up Disgaea 4 and Radiant Silvergun is next week so I presume that all of my free time is going to disappear.

That isn't going to stop me from thinking about Guardian Heroes though.

Teknoman

SAB CA said:
Last week was a 4 game week.

This one looks like one as well.

Would you rather the game get released as a "me too!" along side a bunch of other games, and sell horribly?

New Trailer Released for it today, too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h25fQNtmGks

Let us not forget all the marketing, release window competetion, and trailer release dates / special interview type stuff they could have planned for all this. As nice as it'd be to say "IT'S MY GAME, AND I WANT IT NOW!!", we really don't know all the behind-the-scenes stuff that's involved here.

XBLA slots seem horribly crowded this year (especially after SOA), with way too many quality games being released on the same days. I wish they'd offer more promo's or somethng along with this increased release stuff, because as much as I wanna love EVERYTHING that catches my interest, it's getting kinda nuts!

Launch trailer needs to use music from the game (pet peeve of mine).

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Teknoman said:
Launch trailer needs to use music from the game (pet peeve of mine).

Yeah, I admit to not really... getting why there's any type of musical remix going on there! Maybe the people making trailers don't have access to the music files (?!?) There's surely enough themes in the game to use one of THEM, rather than original music that won't even appear in the game anywhere...

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Japan makes us an official Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdEzdvp95-I

Now THAT'S how you make a Guardian Heroes trailer! With all the REAL music, showing important and fun parts of the game, showing off the new Arcade mode, and showing a bunch of crazy 12 Player matches that are made up of ridiculous fanboy (and girl!) dreams!

12 Sky Spirits VS Battle, FIGHT! Army of Nikky-Neil's, GO!

And they showed some of the new artwork from the Gallery mode, which was nice to see. In some ways, I don't like all the new artwork as much as I liked the original stuff, but I rather like it for the sake of "Higher definition". It reminds me of GHA art in a good way, and it's kinda nice to see Gash and Katrina looking a bit more unique than they ever had before...

Loving the japanese trailer A LOT more. Shame there is no PSN release. Hopefully the XBLA version does really well to warrant a release for PSN.

Edit: The six vs six mode looks like sooooo much fun.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
so this will be available on my birthday FINALLY something comparable to my birth happens on that day. Got my vs mode line up already, i wonder if there will be rated matches and stuff.

I'm seeing some character colors that I don't think I've seen in OG Guardian Heroes.
This is good.

Great trailer. Everyone is required to watch it.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
PepsimanVsJoe said:
I'm seeing some character colors that I don't think I've seen in OG Guardian Heroes.
This is good.

Great trailer. Everyone is required to watch it.

Yeah, that's what I mean yesterday. They added clors to "enable" 12 player VS matches to use the same characters, each with a different one.

I believe Han has one that makes him look like the main star of Rakugaki Showtime...

Soulstar

It's soul crushing to me that this is XBLA only.

I don't pay for live anymore and my wireless adapters and wireless controllers don't even work on my 360.

Doesn't mean I won't buy this though...

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Hope things work out for you, Soulstar!
-----
I have to say.... I want one!
gameimg008_01_l.jpg

This awesome Tshirt is part of the additions added to the official Japanese site, which has a few "coming soon!" sections to it, as well...

http://ss.sega.jp/gh/index.html

I want a US site with this much information...

Teknoman

SAB CA said:
Japan makes us an official Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdEzdvp95-I

Now THAT'S how you make a Guardian Heroes trailer! With all the REAL music, showing important and fun parts of the game, showing off the new Arcade mode, and showing a bunch of crazy 12 Player matches that are made up of ridiculous fanboy (and girl!) dreams!

12 Sky Spirits VS Battle, FIGHT! Army of Nikky-Neil's, GO!

And they showed some of the new artwork from the Gallery mode, which was nice to see. In some ways, I don't like all the new artwork as much as I liked the original stuff, but I rather like it for the sake of "Higher definition". It reminds me of GHA art in a good way, and it's kinda nice to see Gash and Katrina looking a bit more unique than they ever had before...

THANK YOU FOR OFFICIAL MUSIC.

Gavarms

Guardian Heroes 2 planned
Treasure is planning a sequel to its classic scrolling action game Guardian Heroes, with the fate of a second full-blown game in the series dependent on the success of the forthcoming remake of the Saturn original.

"Originally, the project started as Guardian Heroes 2," Treasure's Hiroto Matsuura told Eurogamer, "The team that had been working on Sin & Punishment [last year's Wii sequel], after that project they wanted to start a new game."

"The project started as Guardian Heroes 2, but the publisher - that's SEGA - said in order to create a sequel, they wanted us to revitalize the IP. So instead of starting on the sequel we made a remake."

While Guardian Heroes 2's production is dependent on the sales of the Xbox Live Arcade remake, Matsuura was happy to give a taste of what to expect from a contemporary sequel.

"The original core game mechanics is a 2D, layer-based game," he said, "and that's what we like about it. We may create characters and backgrounds in 3D, but the core mechanics will be the same."
Source: EUROGAMER

Zabka said:
Everyone better buy this fucking game.

And make everyone you know buy it.

i tried but it costs like $3 million USD worth of Mexican Allards :(

actually, someone could fund number 2 completely just by buying one of those lol

any rich philanthropists on gaf we could hit up?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'd wish they'd offer to create it all in HD 2D (In Pixel, or HD 2D like Wayforward), but hey, a sequel to GH, in any form, is better than no sequel at all! It'd actually be very interesting to see what Treasure would pull off with adapting Han'd style into modern 3D... I guess it'd look something like Mischief Makers, just actually rendered, rather than pre-rendered...

So, as if this needs to be re-iterated, BUY THIS GAME ON OCTOBER 12TH, PEOPLE!

The WORLD needs Guardian Heroes 2!!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
A Huge Battleship said:
Game still looks unnaturally dark to me in some parts of the trailer. But if there's any possibility of a proper GH2 I'll buy the game 5 times over.

Actually, that's not a problem. There's a darkness slider on the options screen, to adjust that very issue (which only shows up in remix mode, even.) I was suprised to actually see that!

Also, while on that topic, they say you can also change the level-up screens (From the original, or the new style) between stages, somewhere in the gallery.

This is all independent of your play mode, of course, too.

SAB CA said:
Actually, that's not a problem. There's a darkness slider on the options screen, to adjust that very issue (which only shows up in remix mode, even.) I was suprised to actually see that!
Glorious. Now I'll buy the game 10 times over.

So is this an arena fighter like Pit Fighter or a roaming fighter like Streets of Rage?

I understand the vs. online is an arena, but how is the main storyline portion of the game?

Tain

This is your chance, Treasure.

Ditch the RPG stuff, tone down on the branching paths, make it SUPER focused.

Make it difficult. Make it as tough as the harder Capcom belt scroll games.

Make the best damn belt scroll game the genre has seen in years.

Then you will be great.

i'll buy a ton of copies of this if you guys promise to do all that

Dark Octave said:
So is this an arena fighter like Pit Fighter or a roaming fighter like Streets of Rage?

I understand the vs. online is an arena, but how is the main storyline portion of the game?
It's a belt scroll action game on three separate planes... with RPG bits

Eusis

Dark Octave said:

Roaming like Streets of Rage. Rather, that's what it's closer to.

Dark Octave said:

It's a scrolling BEU with branches. The points spending/upgrading takes place between stages after a branch is chosen. There are a lot of story-based arena fights, too.

Tain said:
This is your chance, Treasure.

Ditch the RPG stuff, tone down on the branching paths, make it SUPER focused.

Make it difficult. Make it as tough as the harder Capcom belt scroll games.

Make the best damn belt scroll game the genre has seen in years.

Then you will be great.

i'll buy a ton of copies of this if you guys promise to do all that

What? Dropping some of the things that make GH great??? Insane!

MightyHedgehog said:
It's a scrolling BEU with branches. The points spending/upgrading takes place between stages after a branch is chosen. There are a lot of story-based arena fights, too.
Ah, basically this is the inspiration for Castle Crashers.

Dark Octave said:
Ah, basically this is the inspiration for Castle Crashers.
That basic outline, yeah. The difference is that Castle Crashers is more your standard BEU in that there is a full freedom of movement, directionally as well as featuring a lot of fine space to maneuver in. Guardian Heroes is more like the old Fatal Fury games with multiple planes horizontally stacked into the background, with three planes instead of just SNK's two being Treasure's twist on the idea coming from their MD four-character licensed fighter, Yu Yu Hakusho. GH features a lot of SF motions because it's oriented from side to side in three rows where you can still jump into or out of the screen.

Top Bottom