• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardian Heroes HD |OT|

Chairhome

I hate when people say they'll buy multiple copies, cause come on, you really won't, haha.

I think the "GH2 if GH does well" warrants its own thread. Anyone else?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Tain said:
This is your chance, Treasure.

Ditch the RPG stuff, tone down on the branching paths, make it SUPER focused.

Make it difficult. Make it as tough as the harder Capcom belt scroll games.

Make the best damn belt scroll game the genre has seen in years.

Then you will be great.

i'll buy a ton of copies of this if you guys promise to do all that

You just want a remake of Advanced Guardian Heroes. Because this is pretty close to what they did, especially if you played it on super hard mode.

I think Vanillaware is already doing this with Dragon's Crown anyway. If Guardian Heroes gets a sequel, let it expand on it's own elements, not eradicate the things that help make it special.

SAB CA said:
It's crazy, because I'd REALLY love to see DLC for this game, lol. If anything for the ELC characters was broken, who cares? YOU COULD PATCH IT YOURSELF, day 1! How awesome would it be to have Alien Soldier, Marina, Dynamite Headdy, the kids from the new S&P, or A version of the Bangai-O in this game? Or crossover characters from other companies?

They've got a great game here, and a great framework! If this is a sign of the possibilities of Saturn Ports to current-gen consoles... then the days of future-past look very bright indeed.
you should not say awesome things like that, because you know that it wont happen and that it'll make me cry :'( (I want Azel&Dragon Forces!)

Smision said:
i tried but it costs like $3 million USD worth of Mexican Allards :(

actually, someone could fund number 2 completely just by buying one of those lol

any rich philanthropists on gaf we could hit up?
yeah, buy it, that will pay for GH2&GH3 dev' ;p

Cipherr

Chairhome said:
I hate when people say they'll buy multiple copies, cause come on, you really won't, haha.

I think the "GH2 if GH does well" warrants its own thread. Anyone else?

WHAT THE FUCK! Did they really say that!? MAKE A THREAD!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Fahrenheit said:
Wounder if this will work with my Street Fighter pad

Your SF pad is a modified Saturn Pad. It's a little odd, as the Remix controls have been fit to a default 360 pad (Like pushing in the R stick to call up the magic menu), but config is totally available, so you can make it work however you like.

My Brother used the Saturn Pad on the demo, and had no issues. I was able to use the 360's crappy Dpad with very little issues, as well, but some of the stuff actually felt a little better with the analog.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
It's not anything big, but Sega did update their blog with some Guardian Heroes on Wed!
They promise more updates towards the release date. Use these to fill your hype machine! Take it to critical mass, then threaten others with the coming blast, to "persuade" them into buying GH, so we can get that sequel!

6071123842_c614a489a7.jpg

Find the Blog Here

Tain

SAB CA said:
You just want a remake of Advanced Guardian Heroes. Because this is pretty close to what they did, especially if you played it on super hard mode.

I think Vanillaware is already doing this with Dragon's Crown anyway. If Guardian Heroes gets a sequel, let it expand on it's own elements, not eradicate the things that help make it special.

I didn't know AGH was structured like that. Is it actually built like an arcade game? No saved progress, 30-60 minutes long, built to be cleared with very little room for error? I should try it if so.

I have no faith in Vanillaware to make a bloat-free action game, though, let alone a fast, focused, and challenging one that I would want to retry over and over and over again to clear with three lives. Odin Sphere and Muramasa are perfect examples of bloated 2D action games.

The genre's starved. Shooting games get Akai Katana and other recent Cave releases, platformers get Hard Corps, and all we've seen in the past few years for belt scroll games is garbage (like Scott Pilgrim) and a few IGS games (that I admittedly don't know shit about but won't get to play for years anyway). I just want something to come by and make some progress.

Former Capcom Dungeons & Dragons blood is working on Dragon's Crown, but yeah, that isn't enough to allay my doubts. Especially when the devs talking about 40-hour playtime. Sounds more like a side-scrolling online RPG than a belt scroll action game.

Fahrenheit said:
Wounder if this will work with my Street Fighter pad

you can map the buttons and the d-pad feels great controlling this game in the classic mode. I seem to remember the remix mode not being as FightPad friendly...haven't played the demo in a while.

Tain

_dementia said:
Former Capcom Dungeons & Dragons blood is working on Dragon's Crown, but yeah, that isn't enough to allay my doubts. Especially when the devs talking about 40-hour playtime. Sounds more like a side-scrolling online RPG than a belt scroll action game.

Didn't know that. I see that Kamitami himself worked on Tower of Doom, huh.

but 40 hour playtime, lol

Dark Octave said:
So is this an arena fighter like Pit Fighter or a roaming fighter like Streets of Rage?

I understand the vs. online is an arena, but how is the main storyline portion of the game?

Imagine an insane action game like bayonetta, ninja gaiden, devil may cry, DmC, etc. but in 2D with sprites. That's what it felt like, though not as tough in the opening demo stage that I played, of course. It's treasure though, so i'm sure it ramps up.

Gavarms said:
Well thanks for teaching me!

"planned" made it sound like an inevitability, but the article was one of those "dependent on sales" deals.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Tain said:
I didn't know AGH was structured like that. Is it actually built like an arcade game? No saved progress, 30-60 minutes long, built to be cleared with very little room for error? I should try it if so.

I have no faith in Vanillaware to make a bloat-free action game, though, let alone a fast, focused, and challenging one that I would want to retry over and over and over again to clear with three lives. Odin Sphere and Muramasa are perfect examples of bloated 2D action games.

The genre's starved. Shooting games get Akai Katana and other recent Cave releases, platformers get Hard Corps, and all we've seen in the past few years for belt scroll games is garbage (like Scott Pilgrim) and a few IGS games (that I admittedly don't know shit about but won't get to play for years anyway). I just want something to come by and make some progress.

Can agree with the bloated Vanillaware part (easily, haha), can't agree on Scott P. being garbage, lol.

AGH Still has GH's elements (Leveling) but has generic Sidescrolling movement (no plane shifting), Boss battles, a focused story, and the occassional break-up in the action (similiar to the "action bonus stage" segements in older such games.) It might not be exactly what you want, but it seems a closer fit to a normal side-scrolling beat-em up than GH1.

I easily see GH as being the progress the genre needed, however. Not the ONLY path, but a very smart one that combined many of my favorite aspects of different genres, without the annoyances of either. I think it'd be a true waste to turn GH into a normal side-scrollin' brawler, because it's be like going 10 steps forward, only to go 14 backwards.

The only way I see your suggestions from earlier, working for GH, is as a bonus mode (that does away with the stat building, cuts the game style down into an 8 stage romp (because we all know REAL GAMES HAVE 8 STAGES, as a shirt I once made said), and just makes the game solely depend on balance and personal playstyle. A True "Arcade Mode" experience.

Oh, and I guess you didn't like Castle Crashers either, eh? How about Dungeon Fighter Online / Dungeon and Fighter on PC? (Coming to 360 next year, so they say...) I think that's a great evolution of the genre, and how it SHOULD work in the modern day gaming world... It can be as "lets clear a few stages, and enjoy ourselves!" as you want, but it still does have some "bloat", I suppose... though I think it's the good kind, here, lol.

I agree the Genre is starved, but I think that has more to do with the fact that it's a genre that gets hit REALLY BAD by any modernization.

Reversed

LeonSKennedy90 said:
And hey, they DID do Sin and Punishment 2 after the VC success of the first one, and THAT game was GODLIKE, so we do have a precedent!

Something tells me the same would happen if RSG XBLA turns out to be a hit.

In the meantime, it's up to Sega to make this game appealing through advertising this game. Here's me crossing my fingers.

Tain

Realistically, a bonus mode is the only way I could hope to see what I've asked for, yeah.

And yeah, everything I've seen of Castle Crashers has turned me off on it. I've only very briefly played it. No clue about DFO.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
In most cases, I'm onboard the "focused action game" mantra, but not for GH. I think the leveling/customization adds more to this particular game than it takes away, and it's one the defining traits that shouldn't really be discarded. A more structured "challenge mode" sort of thing could be neat, I guess.

I hated Castle Crashers though because its leveling components felt so restrictive. By the time I realized I had to unlock moves and combos I was pretty much done with that game right then and there.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Tain said:
Realistically, a bonus mode is the only way I could hope to see what I've asked for, yeah.

It would work out well, too. Many GH fans want increased "story" multiplayer as well, and there are people who dislike the way leveling effects certain things (such as hitstun on characters). An Arcade mode that normalizes all of that, and lets you get that "pure" experience, would be a great way to satisfy nearly everyone.

HD already realizes this somewhat, (limitedly) by it's own ranked-style rules. By forcing everyone onto a level playing field, it makes the game a bit more "balanced" and traditional. Treasure already has the basic idea going, I think they'd do great if they get to "spread their wings" with it.

Sixfortyfive said:
I hated Castle Crashers though because its leveling components felt so restrictive. By the time I realized I had to unlock moves and combos I was pretty much done with that game right then and there.

So you think you would have enjoyed it more, if all the moves were available from the start? While I really liked CCrashers, I do agree with this point in most games.

The cool thing about GH, for me, in this case, is that all of your skills got BETTER as you played. You had all the skills from the start, they just got bigger and more gradious as you progressed. I love that about it; Starting gamers off with nerfed-after-we've-gamed-for-years skillsets, only for the sake of making the end game character feel like the ones we've come to expect from games we've played, for 10s of years, is getting kinda old, lol.

So yeah, GH's style of learning to use, while stuff got more impressive, was much better than the "here's your stripped tools! Enjoy only feeling like a true complete character after 30 hours of gameplay!" stuff we see all too often now-a-days...

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
So you think you would have enjoyed it more, if all the moves were available from the start? While I really liked CCrashers, I do agree with this point in most games.

Problem is lack of balance and variety in systems like those

I had the same problem with scott pilgrim. At the beginning of the game its tedious because you can do so little. You don't even have core mechanics like quick recovery unlocked so even getting knocked down is a chore

but by the end you've unlocked such powerful abilities that there's no challenge anymore.

I think purchasing movesets can be good. I think Battle Circuit is a game that does it well.

It just seemed like castle crashers and scott pilgrim were designed with the thought that beatemups are just about mashing attack until the end, and as a result didn't really give consideration to balancing the game around what the player can do.

Good Lord I hated Scott Pilgrim the game so much.

On paper it sounds excellent but as far as licensed beatemups go it's one of the worst.

Also thought Castle Crashers was a bit of a mess.

east of eastside said:
So, there isn't going to be a PSN port of Guardian Heroes because SCEA rejected Radiant Silvergun in 1995 and Treasure still holds a grudge? Fucking idiots.

Radiant Silvergun was 1998 homeboy.

So, there isn't going to be a PSN port of Guardian Heroes because SCEA rejected Radiant Silvergun in 1995 and Treasure still holds a grudge? Fucking idiots.

Sixfortyfive

east of eastside said:
Yes. That is exactly the reason.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
east of eastside said:
SCEA was very stupidly run in cases like this.

LegatoB

east of eastside said:
And everything you read in Gamefan was 100% accurate.

east of eastside said:
Don't F with Treasure. That's the message I'm getting out of this.

Mzo

Retro_ said:
Problem is lack of balance and variety in systems like those

I had the same problem with scott pilgrim. At the beginning of the game its tedious because you can do so little. You don't even have core mechanics like quick recovery unlocked so even getting knocked down is a chore

but by the end you've unlocked such powerful abilities that there's no challenge anymore.

Completely agreed. The fix would have been to balance the Hard mode around a fully leveled up character. Oh well.

I've made the same comparison when people have recently asked me about Radiant Silvergun, but even though the first few stages eventually become way too easy the end game is at least always somewhat challenging.

It's also not at all like Scott Pilgrim in that it's possible to learn the stages, play well and upgrade your weapons by the end to finish the game on one playthrough.

Radiant Silvergun is pretty amazing for a lot of reasons, but it was probably way more impressive back then than it is right now. It's one of the few expensive games that are great and not just rare. Passing on this for $15 is a dick move if you have any interest in this type of game at all.

lol @ the PSN thing. Who cares, it's been long enough in the generation that if you like videogames, you have access to the specific system by now.

Eusis

east of eastside said:
And you're getting this... where? SCEA can be confoundingly stupid, especially at that point in time, but there wasn't a PS1 Radiant Silvergun to begin with, SCEJ has allowed plenty of Saturn ports, including at least one other Treasure game (Silhouette Mirage)and SCEA did allow the Raystorm and R-Type games to be released in the US. In fact, it sounds like Radiant Silvergun was very much designed around the Saturn's capabilities and may not have made a smooth port to the PS1.

I think Treasure focusing more on XBLA has more to do with their own preferences, or perhaps Sony's modern policy in regards to digital distribution.

Eusis said:
And you're getting this... where? SCEA can be confoundingly stupid, especially at that point in time, but there wasn't a PS1 Radiant Silvergun to begin with, SCEJ has allowed plenty of Saturn ports, including at least one other Treasure game (Silhouette Mirage)and SCEA did allow the Raystorm and R-Type games to be released in the US. In fact, it sounds like Radiant Silvergun was very much designed around the Saturn's capabilities and may not have made a smooth port to the PS1.

I think Treasure focusing more on XBLA has more to do with their own preferences, or perhaps Sony's modern policy in regards to digital distribution.

"There was a PlayStation version, but Sony rejected it," says Treasure head Masato Maegawa. "SCEA rejected it, and once it gets rejected it gets really difficult to make happen. I have a version of the game, actually... The paper I got basically just said 'rejected' on it."

http://www.ugo.com/games/radiant-silvergun-almost-shipped-for-ps1

Umm, release the fucking PS1 version on PSN and make up, you fucking assholes!

Eusis

east of eastside said:
http://www.ugo.com/games/radiant-silvergun-almost-shipped-for-ps1

Umm, release the fucking PS1 version on PSN and make up, you fucking assholes!
Strange, I thought they'd have put it out in Japan at the least. But yeah, Sony was kind of moronic then, and it's a shame because some of those games never get a real second chance elsewhere unlike Radiant Silvergun. Though in regards to the PS1 version of that specifically, I don't think Sony would allow it to be released anyway without having been an actual physical release anywhere. They'd probably accept the XBLA version though if it were ported to PSN.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Kuran said:
Am I the only one who hates the way they treated the sprite work? I can't get over it..

It's really not nearly that bad in motion. I really like the strong outlines myself, and it does a very nice job at making the big creatures look like they FIT into the game more, instead of just being over-sized sprites that were somewhat lazily made.

I'd love to see it all redrawn to look like the Ginjirou art up there... but of course, I'd also like to see Guardian Heroes, Slayers, Rune Soldier Louie, Lodoss Wars, and Sorcerous Stabber Orphen get into an awesome crossover game based on GH's engine...

The fact that everything up there but Lodoss Wars and GH are in the Tales of Heroes game is quite surreal, lol. Treasure + Giga Slave would = Br0ken awesome.

m0dus said:
Aaaaaaaarrrrrgggh.

I hate certain things.

(o_O) Like waiting for Oct for some of your biggest game releases this year? Yeah, I kinda hate that too! ;)

Sixfortyfive

Kuran said:
Am I the only one who hates the way they treated the sprite work? I can't get over it..
I thought the most recent trailer looked really nice. Certainly leagues better than the pixelated mess that the original is.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Just wanted to note that the JP site has been updates, now has a versus mode section:

http://ss.sega.jp/gh/versusmode.html

At the bottom are character art and profiles for more of the characters, including the Royal Knight, Civilian Kid, and more.

Can see some of the new colors in the screenshots shown, as well. The Valgar-esque Robot is actually pretty cool lookin'...

Once you're actually playing the game you won't care what it looks like.

The original GH looks worse than half a butt in screens but my eyes were blinded by tears of joy while I played the game so it wasn't a big deal.

Gotta say though, I'm getting sick of all the new special effects. Radiant Silvergun XBLA has quite a few and they're for the most part pretty ugh. I don't need some fancy-pants lighting when I'm trying to dodge bullets.

xemumanic

I thought it was MS who asked Treasure to port it to begin with? RSG was one of those games that gamers asked for a long time to come to XBLA, Ikaruga as well.

xemumanic said:
I thought it was MS who asked Treasure to port it to begin with? RSG was one of those games that gamers asked for a long time to come to XBLA, Ikaruga as well.
Yes it's true, also treasure loves the xbox 360.

Top Bottom