• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

panda21

this game is awesome!

the events are so much fun.. you just get huge groups of people spontaneously forming and rolling around smiting stuff

Ningo

Also didnt like warrior with sword and shield at all, greatsword is much more fun.

That said, I am enjoying what I have played of guardian so far with mace and shield.

Should really play a ranged, but i am a sucker for heavy armor.

Audioboxer

Also didnt like warrior with sword and shield at all, greatsword is much more fun.

That said, I am enjoying what I have played of guardian so far with mace and shield.

As am I, which is why I settled on Warrior, longbow and rifle :)

jono51

Banned
Kinda a shame to be kicked off again, but its been great so far. Hopefully when they're back the HoM will be fixed on the euro side, especially since every second sentence in map chat seems to be "hey guys, where my HoM stuff/portal stone".

I want my Fellblade, and my cat and my..... :p

Playing Warrior so far is a ton of fun. Greatsword especially. I'm also quite fond of the Warhorn offhand to run faster and stuff.

edit: ooh, finally a member :D

Sethos

Banned
Are the creatures above your level? You have a few options- improve your skill/approach to the mission and encounters, level up some by doing some of the game's other content, or bring in some assistance in the form of other players.

Let me know if you're still having trouble tomorrow!

Appreciate it man, 'luckily' the way they implemented retrying almost makes it impossible not to fail. Either you get downed and then you're back up a few seconds later, or when you truly die you get to spawn at a checkpoint in the instance which is usually a stone's throw away and you get right back to where you left off, mobs still at same HP etc. however it still feels cheap and the hero feel is a bit gone.

Most of the mobs right now are level 6-8 and I'm close to 7. Definitely getting a lot harder, normally the plan was to level and do all that first but I'm just bouncing between Hoalbrak where I see not much XP to gain(?) and Wayfarer Hills the northern parts, the starting area is fully complete.

Maybe I'm just blind as a mule.

Koeta

I love my Norn lol
i1pCULZC2KE5D.jpg

Reikon

Ugh, I was in right at server start but I didn't manage to get 3 names I wanted, 2 of which shouldn't be that popular.

I didn't really have any problems with the launch other than trying to get into the same overflow as my friends. Even the overflows were full so we kept getting error messages when trying to join each other. In the end, we had our full party jump into the portal to leave town at the same time and ended up in the same overflow. It was pretty hilarious because nobody thought it would work.

Anno

Any rangers out there find a place to tame a fern hound? My cat is just too squishy for my tastes, even though it does great damage.

Hmm log in issues, it says it might be my firewall but that looks good on my end. Is the game down?

I think so. The launcher really should have some sort of Status message on it.

edit: Actually, it looks like according to their twitter (seriously?) some people are reporting this error, and they are "investigating" it. *sigh*

The Jutty

The rifle is pretty good with the warrior. 1200 range and you get to keep your heavy armor. Very good single target dps.

SorchaR

Any rangers out there find a place to tame a fern hound? My cat is just too squishy for my tastes, even though it does great damage.

I saw one in the Silvari starter area I think, but I can't remember where. Sorry :(

If you take the portal to the Norn area and talk to the scout in the first area there, he'll point out the different animal shrines. There you'll be able to tame a bear, a wolf, a snow leopard and a crow. The bear especially is very sturdy!

mr.rager

So happy that I can finally play the game, I can finally play without holding back. Was able to log in at the beginning and get most of the names that I wanted, even had a guy message me and offer to buy a name one of my alts had. Also got to make a guild called "Oppa Gangnam Style" wanted "Gangnam Style" but someone got it before I did. Oh well, I'm pretty happy with a what I got. Gonna play some Sleeping Dogs while ANet tried to fix their log in servers.

:edit:

I think I found Colin Johanson's in-game npc. His in-game job sounds a lot like his real job.

http://imgur.com/25kCR

Wallach

Pretty awesome launch over on Stormbluff Isle. Been on since the servers went live, the only issue we had was right at the start with some lag that was gone within the hour.

I haven't played that long in one sitting in a long time. Norn are too amazing. My Engineer is 11 now, probably going to dip into WvWvW soon even though I don't have my third Utility slot yet.

So, I had fun tonight. Level 8! Got crushed by
Gavin
on the level 10 Sylvari story mission, so it's time to do random stuff.

Whoa, it's great to be able to talk to none other than Feep! (I'm a massive Scribblenauts fan and had been following since that one E3).

Let me give you my impressions on some of the issues you mention:

Dislike:
1) The random platforming bullshit to reach vistas and occasionally some other stuff. Frustrating.
2) Playing as an elementalist...not only are there four elements, but there are like five completely different sets of abilities depending on weapon type. It's overwhelming, and doesn't often seem like there's a huge difference between elements/weapon types.
3) Black Lion Store, but I guess that's a necessity these days.

1) Vistas are supposed to be rewards for fans of platforming. Indeed, if you dislike it but yet feel compelled to collect them, I guess that's going to suck. :/
2) Elementalist is an advanced and complex class indeed, so many abilities. Definitely would not make it as a first class. Each weapon has a different effect area (AOE, ranged, melee) and each element a different style (damage over time, immobilization, healing, mobility).
3) Yep, I doubt the game can support itself just with box prices. It's not nearly as intrusive as in other games, though.

Not sure yet:
1) Crafting seems very, very simplistic. Not sure how I feel on this one.
2) Dodging is a nice addition, but it isn't nearly as important as in, say, Tera. As it is, it doesn't seem like it's useful against most enemies, because very few do some dramatic build-up attack that gives you time to dodge.
3) Skill points. Can you respec? It's hard to tell which are better than others, and it doesn't seem like you can swap them out easily.

1) I personally love crafting in this game, particularly that materials are in high supply (since everyone can collect them) and the items crafted give quite a lot of crafting experience and take quite some materials, so hopefully we won't have a WoW-like situation where materials get more expensive than crafted items.
2) Dodging is way more useful than it seems at first, and even regular enemies telegraph their attacks quite a bit. Admittedly, I had an easier time dodging a guy with a greatsword than others. It's also great for positioning and the invulnerability window is huge.
3) You can respect trait (talent) points, but not skill points. Don't worry, though, there's more than enough skill points to get every single ability in the game. In fact, the excess points (which you also get with experience when you're level 80) are used for crafting legendary weapons and other stuff. Also, if you want to check them out, just head to the PvP lobby and you'll be given ALL of them, which you can then try against various NPCs or in PvP.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Good try ANet, it's impossible to have a smooth launch for a popular game. =p

TheYanger

Man, the issues with WvW scoring and matchups are killing this. We had a commanding lead going into launch and then an hour later find out, despite us being in zones fighting for the lead, that suddenly it's been rematched and we're actually losing in some second WvW and the first no longer exists? this happened like 5 times tonight. New match underway with one server already at 80% map control before you can even see what's going on, pretty ridiculous. Hope it's fixed tomorrow :)

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Well, looks like the power supply on the gaming PC is dying out. Hope it didn't kill my motherboard too.

Great start to the GW2 day.

Micerider

Good that I still have to finish Darksiders II and Sleeping Dogs. This will leave some time for the launch madness to pass before jumping in :)

Can't wait though.

Amneisac

Well, looks like the power supply on the gaming PC is dying out. Hope it didn't kill my motherboard too.

Great start to the GW2 day.

Yeah, I checked my computer about an hour before the launch yesterday and it was bootlooping / bluescreening so I had to reformat. Went to bed with the game installing and woke up this morning and can't log in. Oh well, it'll get better! Hope your mobo is okay.

etiolate

Banned
Anyone who didn't get their HoM portal stone:

Go to Lion's Arch, go to Hooligan's Route, and into the Undermarket. Charr Karma vendor sells HoM portal stones.

Hoplatee

I either am blind, stupid or on the completely wrong site (probably all!) but I can't list Europe or Netherlands on https://buy.guildwars2.com/en-gb/ :/

Or won't that matter at all?

Edit - Never mind that. After a while Netherlands popped up. :s Had to pick the expensive version first, then back up and pick the normal. Weird.

DPsygnet

Anyone still only on GAF US guild can invite me ? (If inviting is not broken)
I cannot whisper . . .

EDIT:Scratch that, got kicked with incorrect password :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom