• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sethos

Banned
Just put down Shadow Behemoth :D shitty loot though D:

Awesome event bug got a bug, the audio went nuts at half battle, my ears were bleeding freakin headphones

Oh shit, you too? I just got that, it's like an oscillating sound, "WHHOOOoooOOOoooomWHHHooooooOOOOM."

My Mesmer (Dielle) is clearly having the time of her life

diellegw20103bk2m.jpg

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Regarding the discussion about world guild influence we had at a point, it seems like (sadly) I was right:

According to ANet employee Daniel Jennings:
"Yes, a guild can have members from any number of worlds. They will be making guild progress (e.g. upgrade and influence) towards their guild only the the world they’re playing in, though, so the influence isn’t shared between the different versions of the guilds in other home worlds. You will share a roster, and chat, and the normal social features with everyone regardless of their home world, though."
From GW2wiki

Well, fuck. So much for GAF emblems and stuff on a server outside of the 2 big ones.

Piecake

Thinking about this game: if you have zero MMO experience, and a trackball mouse, is this game friendly to folks with those?

Not sure if I want to get this yet, but I may want to take a break from fighting games, and this looks like a good option.

play with a controller then. Works great. the gafguild website has a thread up in the PvE section that explains it

play with a controller then. Works great. the gafguild website has a thread up in the PvE section that explains it

This is the only MMO I know of that works well with a console controller. It is both strangely comforting and concerning.
Man, Felicia Day is in everything.
That's what a math major and a talent for acting gets you.

My only regret is that Patrick Stewart was not involved in this game.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Dynamic Events are FUCKING GLORIOUS. I will never, ever, ever leave a dynamic event chain again before it's over.

Minor dynamic event spoiler, just in case, but it's awesome:

Was in a cave in the Norn starting area, where a guy wanted to collect toxic underwater plants. fair enough, collected plants. everyone but me left. He then said that he wanted to make a bonfire with those plants because they're toxic to the dredge. Then you hear the dredge talk about how that norn wants to smoke them out, so they decide to attack him and get rid of the bonfire. I defend the bonfire, complete another dynamic event. Then the cave starts to fill with nasty green smoke, toxic ooze start popping up everywhere and all the dredge die. Fucking amazing.

I would've ended up with a boring "collect x plants" quest if I didn't stick around, now it's a full-fledged logical event chain. sogood.

Dynamic Events are FUCKING GLORIOUS. I will never, ever, ever leave a dynamic event chain again before it's over.

Minor dynamic event spoiler, just in case, but it's awesome:

(cool stuff)
I remember doing this during one of the BWEs, and yeah. It's pretty awesome getting new events just hanging around a few minutes after doing stuff.

Neckbeard

Forgive if this has been asked a million times.

I'm in a strange place between zones and quests (level 13).

Is there a quick way to get to the other starting zones? I started Human/Queensdale if that makes a difference. I'd really rather not run for an hour getting one-shotted repeatedly trying to get there.

Forgive if this has been asked a million times.

I'm in a strange place between zones and quests (level 13).

Is there a quick way to get to the other starting zones? I started Human/Queensdale if that makes a difference. I'd really rather not run for an hour getting one-shotted repeatedly trying to get there.

Go to Divinity's Reach, head to the top level (the garden area), and look for an Asura gate. It will take you to a big gate hub that takes you to the other racial capitals.

Stuart444

So, completed the Queensdale map and might jump to another area to level up for my personal story.

Shadow Behemoth is as fun as ever :D but I can't wait til level 40 - 50 for The Shatterer. Been looking forward to him for a long while.

Anyway, hoping to finish my personal story (the content that was available in the BWEs I mean) tonight so I can get to some brand new content for me.

Shadow Behemoth is as fun as ever :D but I can't wait til level 40 - 50 for The Shatterer. Been looking forward to him for a long while.
I played the 2010 PAX demo and fought the Shatterer. It was appropriately epic and that was 2 years ago.

D'oh, power went out, slept way too long :p What did I miss?
Everyone got 3000 free gems and a legendary weapon of their choice for being in the headstart and having to deal with the bugs.
Got my engineer to 10, thinking it's time to try another class. I usually play heavy armor class, but thinking of trying a casting class. Anyone know which one is better at AOE?
It's less about which class as about which weapon. Staff makes the best AoE effects and all the casters can use them. So can Guardian.

Elementalist is probably the most AoE-heavy class. Warrior does get a lot of melee AoE, though.

arimanius

Got my engineer to 10, thinking it's time to try another class. I usually play heavy armor class, but thinking of trying a casting class. Anyone know which one is better at AOE?

LuuKyK

Wow. Just fought a gigantic monster in the swans. Holy Shit. It was intense. And gave me some nice items.

I have no one to play with though. You guys even forgot to add me to the guild! *cries*

Aeana

I really like mace with guardian. It doesn't seem to be very popular with other guardians; why not? I especially really like the second skill, symbol of faith, which adds a regen effect on the ground. It makes battles against several opponents much safer.

I really like mace with guardian. It doesn't seem to be very popular with other guardians; why not? I especially really like the second skill, symbol of faith, which adds a regen effect on the ground. It makes battles against several opponents much safer.
Probably too defensive for most people. It also doesn't give you the mobility that the sword or greatsword give you. There are a couple utilities to deal with that, but then you miss out on other cool stuff.

what garden area?
The central district in divinity's reach has a lot of greenery (and other cool stuff). You'll find the asura gate there.
Wow. Just fought a gigantic monster in the swans. Holy Shit. It was intense. And gave me some nice items.
Shadow Behemoth is pretty much where Guild Wars 2 REALLY starts for people rolling a human.

Maces are fuckin' lame dude, swords look way cooler

(that's my thoughts on it anyway. maces are pretty damn good in this game)

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I played the 2010 PAX demo and fought the Shatterer. It was appropriately epic and that was 2 years ago.

Everyone got 3000 free gems and a legendary weapon of their choice for being in the headstart and having to deal with the bugs.
It's less about which class as about which weapon. Staff makes the best AoE effects and all the casters can use them. So can Guardian.

Elementalist is probably the most AoE-heavy class. Warrior does get a lot of melee AoE, though.

LOL.

Aeana

Probably too defensive for most people. It also doesn't give you the mobility that the sword or greatsword give you. There are a couple utilities to deal with that, but then you miss out on other cool stuff.

The central district in divinity's reach has a lot of greenery (and other cool stuff). You'll find the asura gate there.
Well, you can put an offensive weapon in your second set and switch between them. That's what I've been doing. I throw down symbol of faith at the start of a fight, then switch to hammer and go to town with that. I'm still experimenting, though; I've only just hit level 7. I'm actually not really seeing the appeal of torch, which seems to be really popular, but I'll have to use it some more.

SalomonA

I have no one to play with though. You guys even forgot to add me to the guild! *cries*

Feel ya bro.

My friends all have to upgrade their systems so im playing alone the next 1-2 weeks or so :/

Well, you can put an offensive weapon in your second set and switch between them. That's what I've been doing. I throw down symbol of faith at the start of a fight, then switch to hammer and go to town with that. I'm still experimenting, though; I've only just hit level 7. I'm actually not really seeing the appeal of torch, which seems to be really popular, but I'll have to use it some more.
Fire breathing, dude. You shoot flames. Out of your mouth. You're Godzilla.

That said, I'm not huge on torch either. Shield seems a lot more effective and fun to me.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
My guild has been able to invite people normally.

Also, I haven't found a single bug yet (apart from the WvW score switching business and one unreachable copper node).

Forkball

Good god this game.

Also jeweler is a great crafting profession. It's a bit more luck based when it comes to finding rare stones, but the rewards are more obtainable than say weaponcrafting.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Crafting is so rewarding in this game. And it's actually exciting because of the discovery system. Loving cooking!

I don't even understand the discovery system. The items in that menu can never be combined. So far the whole crafting thing has been useless to me, as weapon/armorsmith.

JoeBoy101

Did someone say... SCREENSHOTS!

My Sylvari Necromancer (it makes sense) swimming with Quaggas
iX18qEtNCPtBg.bmp

On the shore (with one of my pets in the background)
ibno8hBEVMK2Ki.bmp

I don't even understand the discovery system. The items in that menu can never be combined. So far the whole crafting thing has been useless to me, as weapon/armorsmith.
As an armor smith, try making a bronze chain chest panel, chain chest padding, and mighty jute insignia (all of those recipes are given to you to start with as an armorsmith in the production pane). Craft one of each, then go to the discovery pane and place them all in there. Hit craft, discover new armor.

Dresden

Playing the Guardian, and it just feels better than how the Necro or the Engineer handles. The abilities feel cohesive and each setup works pretty well together.

JoeBoy101

More screenshots.

Back home at the grove.
i87mtgBOZztrS.bmp

iSxTgu2E90crs.bmp

Ferrio said:
I'm rocking with Sexy Claus! Errr... why the jaggies... my AA is turned on...

Because it doesn't render with AA at character select. That is to say, same thing happens to me.

KingKong

hmm, I'm still not really enjoying any of the events. I'm level 14 so I've just been in the first zones for different races, but they just seem so hands-off. I come across something and usually just kill a few things or help fight the boss and then everyone moves on.

I guess it's cool that they're dynamic and not quests but idk, I'm not feeling it. I'm really liking all the gameplay mechanics and UI and crafting and stuff, and the personal story is pretty fun, but it feels like I'm exploring for the sake of exploring

Aeana

hmm, I'm still not really enjoying any of the events. I'm level 14 so I've just been in the first zones for different races, but they just seem so hands-off. I come across something and usually just kill a few things or help fight the boss and then everyone moves on.

I guess it's cool that they're dynamic and not quests but idk, I'm not feeling it
The first one that I really loved was the shark in the asura starting area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom