• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hi everyone, your friendly neighborhood Hawkian here. Team Asura, Thieves' Guild, Gamepad Users, and OfficerGAF represent.

At all day work meetings today and tomorrow, bleh

LkPr

I'm going to miss out on this Stress Test and I really wanted to play because I'm testing out using my PS3 controller for the first time! O well, looks like I'll be doing release morning testing for the controller.

edit: unless there's another test before Friday :)

Ah okay, probably also needed as the performance is quite frankly shite.

On another note: Holy hell at the Norn, big, badass. Why was I even considering those wimpy ass humans?

ibv2iyse2SzRM1.png

not a fan of their story and VAs :/

_woLf

Think I finally decided:

Human: Warrior, Elementalist, Mesmer
Asura: Guardian, Thief
Sylvari: Ranger, Necromancer
Charr: Engineer

Awww yeah.

Forkball

Heartseeker has a weird glitch where you will rubberband backwards somewhere. In WvWvW, I used it in the middle of a battle and warped all they way back to the waypoint.

Also, contrary to popular belief, you can NOT solo a neutral supply depot.

Moondrop

Banned
I changed my e-mail when prompted to increase security and now I don't get to play.

Edit: Finally got my password reset. Just keep trying.

Stuart444

Anyone in the stress test and have the Digital Deluxe Edition, is anyone only getting the DDE items once but if you make another character, you only get the pre-purchase (hero band) item and not the DDE items?

I'm wondering if that means the DDE items will go to your first character only? And no other character gets them.

W1SSY

I played for about an hour and realized this is the game I want and don't want to spoil anything else for myself. Still thinking about guardian as my started but not for sure about the race yet.

Sethos

Banned
Story, what is this nonsense :p It's all about how your character looks when you slaughter people - Only thing that matters! And by that standard, Norn are demigods.

Really want to get cracking but I think I'll save all my of my pent up 'want to play' until the headstart. I always go mental in MMO betas, so the first few hours when the game launches I just go over the same damn quests and areas again, not this time.

zlatko

Banned
Is there any really good deals going on for pre order of this game?

I never got to play the beta, and I'm curious over it. Engineer and Necromancer look really fun.

Dynoro

Thought I would give it a go for 5-10 minutes...over an hour actually passes. This game is rather good; but I think I will save myself for the release now

chiablo

If I could only watch a single video that would sell me on this game, what video should I watch? Would prefer if it was under an hour as well.

Played the original GW at some point (don't honestly remember when or where, must have been some sort of a Beta though since I know I never bought it) and interested in this, but since I haven't been able to play the game yet I'm not fully convinced I'm a day 1 buyer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKtGxVj3msM

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Played for about 30 minutes and am now content (Just went through character creation and graphic options :p). Friday night can't come soon enough.

Aeana

Looks like my internet's failing today will keep me out of the stress test, since I still don't have the client downloaded and at this rate, won't for several more hours. Oh well. At least it'll be done for the headstart.

Stuart444

Looks like my internet's failing today will keep me out of the stress test, since I still don't have the client downloaded and at this rate, won't for several more hours. Oh well. At least it'll be done for the headstart.

You never know, might have another stress test on Thursday or Friday before head start :)

ACE 1991

"Either there is no Guild Wars 2 event or this account is not authorized to participate in one..." error keeps coming up... Any fixes?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
did anyone get that verification email the launcher asks for? If so, what's the email address you got it from? Maybe I'll have to whitelist it, if I'm the only one.

Orayn

Is there a reason why the digital version is so much more than the retail one? It's £32 vs £49 in the UK.

UK retailers always sell for way, way under MSRP, that's all.

did anyone get that verification email the launcher asks for? If so, what's the email address you got it from? Maybe I'll have to whitelist it, if I'm the only one.

I think they're saying it was a bug? I dunno.

darkwing

uh oh, I tried to login and it asked for my email to send the verification email , it displayed like xxxxx@plaync which was my account name, so I tried to update my email but I haven't received my verification email yet, what gives? :|

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Thank you both, I'll try the whitelist then :)

edit: nah, still nothing :/ here's hoping it's just a glitch from their side, this is really strange. Deactivated all Spam filters but I don't really trust my email now :(

Emitan

Awww. Was hoping you'd get a chance to see if you liked it while you could still cancel your order :(

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Thank you both, I'll try the whitelist then :)

edit: nah, still nothing :/ here's hoping it's just a glitch from their side, this is really strange. Deactivated all Spam filters but I don't really trust my email now :(

I didn't get the email either :(

Edit: Sweet jesus the skin color options, I finally make a true brown dude.

Rflagg

I have paid basically zero attention to this as pvp doesn't interest me at all, but kind of getting hyped lately.

I will be doing some research this week, but can I get some gaf thoughts on if this game is worth as a pve player only?

Stuart444

I have paid basically zero attention to this as pvp doesn't interest me at all, but kind of getting hyped lately.

I will be doing some research this week, but can I get some gaf thoughts on if this game is worth as a pve player only?

Yes it is, this is not a only PvP game or PvP-centric game.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Only doing it every 100 posts, since 100ppp is the GAF Master Race. Of course, I missed post #600 too, but I got crap to do today!

ArenaNet has said they may include mounts at some point, if mounted combat can be implemented. As a method of travel in the game as it exists now, there's no point. Waypoints are much faster without letting you race past / over content.

Don't listen to BattleMonkey, he's 100% wrong with that statement. The dynamic events are much more than "MMO quest chains", if only because they're open to all players and because they occur whether players are there or not. Any comment on them being uninteresting can be dismissed by the fact that no one has seen anything higher than level 30 (out of 80) and the dynamic events only get more and more complex as the game progresses. In an interview, Colin Johansen mentioned that the end game zones in Orr have no renown hearts at all; they're composed entirely of complex Dynamic Event "Webs".

You can buy the game from ArenaNet using Paypal, if that helps.

It just means that each level takes the same amount of time, rather than taking longer and longer as you go.

I disagree, skill bloat has been one of the worst parts of most MMOs I've played (Hello, LOTRO). You're also overlooking the trait system, which does allow for a but of growth. But certainly nothing on the same level as getting a new skill ever two levels. Personally, I feel like that leaves more room for the player to grow in skill, rather than the character. By giving you a smaller, standardized toolset, the impetus is on the player to get better rather than just get higher stats or flashier versions of the same spells they started with.

I'd disagree, the level of polish we've seen so far has been exceptional. I think you're also discounting just how rough WoW was at launch. Servers were down all the time, a lot of features (Battlegrounds) weren't even in the game for years, and the endgame content left a LOT to be desired. It was far from a complete package.

MMOs are the only genre where people rush as quickly as they can to get to the end and then whine that they've beaten it while demanding more. People need to get out of that mentality and back to the "I am playing the game because it's fun" line of thought. The whole game is "the end game" and phrasing such as yours, implying that the game is somehow incomplete, is only spreading misinformation.

The game can only get better the more people support it via the gem shop. Yeah, they'll pocket the $50 it costs to buy the game, but what about expansions or steady income? They've given interviews where they've said that the level of support the game gets is directly related to how many players stick with it.

The beauty of downleveling is that they can add entirely new zones and dungeons at any level and max-level players will still be challenged and rewarded by it.

You forgot Kegbrawl. I'd pay $10 easy for a Kegbrawl game.

It sounds like Guild Wars 2 is just not for you. Luckily, there are now several dozen Diku-clones, most of them failing so quickly that they are now free to play.

If we still played that drinking game from last thread, then I think you just killed some people.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I'd certainly call it PvP-centric.

You're certainly wrong. sPvP and WvW are as much a part of the game as Jumping puzzles and Vistas. It's no PvP game, but PvP is a very valid option to play it. You can even choose if you want to level purely in PvP, in (fun and entertaining) PvE or in both.

PvP and PvE are both very viable options, and you can have loads of fun while completely ignoring one of both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom