• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

glaurung

Every time I've tried to do WvW the que ends up longer than 20 minutes. Kind of bullshit considering the game hasn't even officially launched yet and the numbers are only going to grow.

I hope this isn't an indicator of things to come.
It worked pretty good during the beta, so I wouldn't be too worried.

Can anyone tell me how this WvWvW stuff works? Because honestly, if it is Aion-like dumb mass zerging of objectives vs zerged defenders, I am not interested. But if it is something to sign up for and gather resources without actually doing mass pvp, and something along those lines, then I might try it out.

The keep battles and such often just turn into huge zerg on zerg fests that can go on forever. The smaller objective spots like supply depots and some towers can be more interesting as they don't have so much huge clump ups forming.

Queues in the beta often were worse than what it is now. Spent often 45 to an hour and half to get into WvWvW in beta. The stress tests ran much faster queues but that was likely due to far less people.

Mothman91

Level 25...anyone know if you gotta join up manually for the Lvl 30 dungeon or can you "queue up" and let the game group you up randomly with strangers?

Sethos

Banned
Just found a way to get like 1200 XP every 3-4 minute ( Level 21 ), without doing anything pretty much besides using auto walk :p Well this is going to be a fast track levelling day.

Yeah, not worried about the actual gameplay or anything, I'm more worried about not being able to play. One of the biggest draws for me is if I have an hour to kill I could jump in and do some WvW, but with these que's, half of that time is waiting (I've yet to actually play WvW) and I can only think it's going to get worse as more people join the server come the 28th.

Just found a way to get like 1200 XP every 3-4 minute ( Level 21 ), without doing anything pretty much besides using auto walk :p Well this is going to be a fast track levelling day.

Is level 80 your goal? I've actually not even paid attention to level unless I'm getting my ass kicked I'll see if I'm too low. I went through 9 and 10 without really noticing lol.

Man, this game. I just managed to 100% Rata Sum, and now I know that most of my time in this game will be spent exploring maps.

That's what i did most of my weekend. just exploring and maybe some of the story quests. but just getting those vistas are cool especially since it makes you explore places you wouldn't think to have gone. (most of the other MMO i just go straight to the quest and follow the path) this game is awesome. and doing repeats some of the heart quest is nice just for funsie. scaling my lvl is good since i can help others and join in on the fun again!

chiablo

1.jpg

Yeah, so much more fun doing those shitty events and getting pitiful XP from discovering and killing.

How is doing the SAME THING every 3-4 minutes for 80 levels more exciting than "shitty events and getting pitiful XP from discovering and killing"?

I guess we play this game entirely different as level 80 isn't my "goal" really, just playing the game and exploring and doing shit like a regular RPG is. If I just grinded the same shit over and over in the same area that would drive me insane. Reminds me too much of having to level in all the other MMO's I have tried.

KingKong

So should I be buying armor/weapons from merchants or karma people or crafting it, or waiting for drops?

It looks like only the personal story gives item rewards and the drops so far haven't been that good. Also most armor have had basically the same design, I do like how they are colored the same way as the old item was but maybe it would be better if they had their own color (maybe unique) and then I could change it later, like if I got an item the color of a dye I don't have yet

Sethos

Banned
How is doing the SAME THING every 3-4 minutes for 80 levels more exciting than "shitty events and getting pitiful XP from discovering and killing"?

I guess we play this game entirely different as level 80 isn't my "goal" really, just playing the game and exploring and doing shit like a regular RPG is. If I just grinded the same shit over and over in the same area that would drive me insane. Reminds me too much of having to level in all the other MMO's I have tried.

Because I can sit back and relax, I don't have to look at the map every other fucking second, I don't have to worry about the next shitty dynamic event starting when I'm around, picking up chickens while getting frustrated because 30 other people are taking them making the event last 20 minutes to get some pitiful XP, like 10% of your XP bar. Levelling in this game is atrocious, there's nothing relaxing about it. I'm the guy that likes questing - I levelled 10 x 85s up in WoW and ditched them at 85 because I liked just relaxing, alone, no one around and just levelling up doing the occasional instance with a friend.

I'm going to PvP in this game, nothing else.

zlatko

Banned
Is there a preferred weapon type for each class? I didn't realize till last night that each weapon type you can equip grants you different abilities to use both on land and in water.

Not sure what Necromancer is best at weapon wise.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Question about "stuff" in my bags.

Collectables are easy enough - I just use "store all" or whatever. Gear is also pretty easy - I either salvage or sell it depending on what use I may have for it. But what about items listed as salvage that don't store with "store all"? Are they used for crafting? They aren't considered junk either.

Slightly overwhelmed by this, but I don't seem to care, ha.

Is there a preferred weapon type for each class? I didn't realize till last night that each weapon type you can equip grants you different abilities to use both on land and in water.

I've been using all the different Necro weapons to see which skill set suits my playstyle and other skills best. I think that's what it's going to come down to. I don't imagine there will be a "best setup" because there are a lot of options for skill builds that are all equally viable.

Aeana

Collectables are easy enough - I just use "store all" or whatever. Gear is also pretty easy - I either salvage or sell it depending on what use I may have for it. But what about items listed as salvage that don't store with "store all"? Are they used for crafting? They aren't considered junk either.

Use a salvaging kit on them to turn them into materials.

Because I can sit back and relax, I don't have to look at the map every other fucking second, I don't have to worry about the next shitty dynamic event starting when I'm around, picking up chickens while getting frustrated because 30 other people are taking them making the event last 20 minutes to get some pitiful XP, like 10% of your XP bar. Levelling in this game is atrocious, there's nothing relaxing about it. I'm the guy that likes questing - I levelled 10 x 85s up in WoW and ditched them at 85 because I liked just relaxing, alone, no one around and just levelling up doing the occasional instance with a friend.

I have a feeling you won't like the game then. What you're describing as shitty, terrible and other hyperbolic statements is what makes up 99% of the PVE game.

Honestly, I would probably just play a different game, this probably isn't for you as that whole setup you hate is exactly what the game does and is trying to do the entirety of the game. Not trying to be a dick but it seems you just like the way the game works.

I personally couldn't imagine just grinding out levels, the exploration and DE's and random world stuff like exploring is what's awesome, I guess I don't pay much attention to the numbers at the end of the quest. Leveling is the least thing I'm worried about.

I'm sorry, I just misunderstand your statements, you say just want to relax and be alone but PVP is anything but that really ... but w/e floats your boat, enjoy it however you want to.

Mothman91

Dagger IMO for 1 target dmg. The 1 key does shit loads of dmg.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah, so much more fun doing those shitty events and getting pitiful XP from discovering and killing.

I'm going to PvP in this game, nothing else.
Hey there! I'm going to go out on a bit of a limb and suggest that maybe this game is simply not for you. Just about everything you said is totally antithetical to the way the game was designed. I wonder what level/age you are...

You'll be alone in your personal story of course, and it gives you tons of xp. I assume you're at a wall with it or something, though.

As to the second bold, you've completely lost me. Obviously everything you've been described, everything, relates only to PvE. If you want to PvE you can stop doing all the "shitty" stuff immediately, go to the mists and have a level 80 character with every skill unlocked and max gear.

glaurung

Something that surprised me: wielding a sword or dagger with my Ranger turned the 1 button into a COMBO BUTTON.

Just tapping away on that did some crazy moves.

Doesn't work with a bow though.

Sethos

Banned
I have a feeling you won't like the game then. What you're describing as shitty, terrible and other hyperbolic statements is what makes up 99% of the PVE game.

Honestly, I would probably just play a different game, this probably isn't for you as that whole setup you hate is exactly what the game does and is trying to do the entirety of the game. Not trying to be a dick but it seems you just like the way the game works.

I personally couldn't imagine just grinding out levels, the exploration and DE's and random world stuff like exploring is what's awesome, I guess I don't pay much attention to the numbers at the end of the quest. Leveling is the least thing I'm worried about.

How about you just mind your own character and I'll play the game however the fuck I like, eh :) ? I'm enjoying what I'm doing.

I've been to distracted by Dark Souls to really start Guild Wars 2 but reading this thread has reminded me again that I just can't keep up with the pace of MMO veterans. I play so leisurely that I can never find people that play at a similar pace.

How about you just mind your own character and I'll play the game however the fuck I like, eh :) ? I'm enjoying what I'm doing.

Jesus dude. How about you have a conversation without being such a fucking twat? You said you hated 99% of the PVE game and I was letting you know it doesn't fucking change. Trying to be helpful.

Plus, just go PVP. You don't have to "grind the shit". You can go straight to PVP and never touch PVE.

Well I am enjoying it alot. An MMO has not given me these kinds of withdrawals while away from it, since Vanilla wow.
It feels new and fresh. Especially the freedom in roles and in how you decide to play your game is quiet wonderfull.

The game was hyped up alot, and maybe to much. It is still a MMO and there are still some boundries within the game, but I firmly believe that it is going to be the next big thing.
It is varied enough from wow to not be just another Rift/SWTOR.
While I think it's great too, it won't be the next big thing. It doesn't hold your hand enough. I know a loooot of people that will get turned off by how you're just thrown into the world and basically left to figure it out. I like that, but most don't, especially not the casual playerbase.

Is anybody else having to wait 20+ minutes to get into WvW? I have had a hell of a time getting in (haven't yet).

I'm wondering if I'm missing some pop-up or que or something might be turned off.

Sethos

Banned
Jesus dude. How about you have a conversation without being such a fucking twat? You said you hated 99% of the PVE game and I was letting you know it doesn't fucking change. Trying to be helpful.

Plus, just go PVP. You don't have to "grind the shit". You can go straight to PVP and never touch PVE.

Which I just said, my focus is PvP, I've been doing PvP, my little XP grind is in WvWvW - What's the problem? Anything else you wish to tell me about the game, maybe another way I should play it to increase your enjoyment out of my time in the game?

zlatko

Banned

I've been using all the different Necro weapons to see which skill set suits my playstyle and other skills best. I think that's what it's going to come down to. I don't imagine there will be a "best setup" because there are a lot of options for skill builds that are all equally viable.

I think so far the 1 hand scepter/wand thing with a horn as well as dual daggers give some of the best abilities and damage.

EDIT: NVM, doesn't matter

WvWvW has a player cap

Yeah, I know that. I wonder if I'm just trying to do it at really busy times or something. I've que'd about 4-5 times and waiting about 15-20 minutes each time. It's usually when I had 30 minutes to kill and would want to just get in some PVP really quick but always ended up logging before it happened.

While I think it's great too, it won't be the next big thing. It doesn't hold your hand enough. I know a loooot of people that will get turned off by how you're just thrown into the world and basically left to figure it out. I like that, but most don't, especially not the casual playerbase.
To be honest with you, there were a few things I was initially confused about that I wished I knew about earlier. I was surprised that there was nearly no form of tutorial at all, because I remember the first Guild Wars having that. (Strangely, the PvP section has a tutorial-esque sequence.) I'm definitely not a fan of excessive, mandatory hand-holding sections, but I wished there was more to it than the often unhelpful hint pop-ups. But I'm over that now.

It would have helped if the wiki was up, though.

I'm done speaking with you dude, so far the users in this thread and in the game have been nice an helpful. You seem like a douchebag I'll more than happily ignore in game so I don't really give a fuck what you do or how you do it, I was just pointing out some things for you and was trying to be helpful.

Sethos is abrasive and mean in most of his posts at gaf

Spookie

So me and Lirlond found a solution to the overflow issue, get to a zone edge and enter at the same time. Job done! 100% of the time it's dumped us in the same overflow if join in isn't working.

Macattk15

I prefer dual pistols to the rifle with my Engineer. We can only use Dual Pistols, Pistol & Shield, and a Rifle though.

We do get tons of other weapon kits though. My favorite being Grenade and Bomb so far.

Sethos

Banned
I'm done speaking with you dude, so far the users in this thread and in the game have been nice an helpful. You seem like a douchebag I'll more than happily ignore in game so I don't really give a fuck what you do or how you do it, I was just pointing out some things for you and was trying to be helpful.

Yes, very helpful, telling people how to play their games - Stop taking the victim role.

And no, hopefully we won't meet in-game but then, I'm not on a 'Gaf appointed server so best case scenario is we'll meet as enemies.

I prefer dual pistols to the rifle with my Engineer. We can only use Dual Pistols, Pistol & Shield, and a Rifle though.

We do get tons of other weapon kits though. My favorite being Grenade and Bomb so far.

Where and when do you get the grenade and bomb? and they're real weaps not 'bundles' right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom