• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT: NVM, doesn't matter
Yeah, I know that. I wonder if I'm just trying to do it at really busy times or something. I've que'd about 4-5 times and waiting about 15-20 minutes each time. It's usually when I had 30 minutes to kill and would want to just get in some PVP really quick but always ended up logging before it happened.
I had to wait 3 and a half hours a day ago to get into WvW. I wonder how much worse it's going to get once everyone starts playing.

Now stop fighting, you two.

Tadale

I got past my initial grumbling over home server issues, and played all day yesterday till level 20 with my sylvari thief. I think those RPS impressions are pretty much exactly inline with what I experienced – the game sometimes makes it extremely hard to play with your friends on this early weekend. Hopefully that stuff sorts itself out over the coming weeks.

But on the other hand, in a crowded zone, it's really a lot of fun to be ganging up with huge groups of players to work together on an event. I doubt it'll have the same impact later in the game's life when you're banging out the same quests with just a couple of people.

Is there a preferred weapon type for each class? I didn't realize till last night that each weapon type you can equip grants you different abilities to use both on land and in water.

Not sure what Necromancer is best at weapon wise.

IMO

Staff is a must and then if you're going conditionmancer, I suggest Scepter/Dagger as your second set

Trey

I was gonna say, he's enjoying what he's doing. Nothing wrong with that. The game seems to be working for him in a satisfactory manner, so GW2 is, in fact, for him.

KePoW

Banned
I'm sure this has already been asked, but are they going to have the feature where you can play with friends on any server, or not??

Is there a preferred weapon type for each class? I didn't realize till last night that each weapon type you can equip grants you different abilities to use both on land and in water.

Not sure what Necromancer is best at weapon wise.

i've dual wield sword for my mesmer and other hand is a sceptor. sword is nice especially with his skills and all. not bad if you are playing with others.

I was gonna say, he's enjoying what he's doing. Nothing wrong with that. The game seems to be working for him in a satisfactory manner, so GW2 is, in fact, for him.

He said he wanted to PVP which you can go straight to, he doesn't need to do the shit he's talking about, even Hawkian was letting him know. But w/e ... I'm more concerned about the WvW que honesty. 3.5 hours is insane! Especially since it's not even the "big rush" yet from the initial launch.

Macattk15

Where and when do you get the grenade and bomb? and they're real weaps not 'bundles' right?

No they aren't real weapons. They are Skills you spend skill points on to unlock. I think Grenade and Bomb are both in Tier 2 of the skills.

Switching to the kits / bundles gives you 5 new attacks obviously along with the toolbelt ability.

Lesath

Because I can sit back and relax, I don't have to look at the map every other fucking second, I don't have to worry about the next shitty dynamic event starting when I'm around, picking up chickens while getting frustrated because 30 other people are taking them making the event last 20 minutes to get some pitiful XP, like 10% of your XP bar. Levelling in this game is atrocious, there's nothing relaxing about it. I'm the guy that likes questing - I levelled 10 x 85s up in WoW and ditched them at 85 because I liked just relaxing, alone, no one around and just levelling up doing the occasional instance with a friend.

I'm going to PvP in this game, nothing else.

Not that the game doesn't have glaring PvE faults, but leveling is fairly-set your own pace when it comes to the heart events. If I have anything to complain about on that front, it's that combat gets a bit stale. There's like 2-3 skills per weapon swap that you just go through, so sometimes there's periods where you just sit there waiting for your cooldowns to end. When you have only 5 abilities to work with (not counting the 6-10 skills, which are either passive, situationally useful, or on restrictive CDs), some of which aren't necessary or effective in PvE, any cooldown beyond 10 seconds is incredibly mind-numbing. This is only sort of exacerbated by the leveling curve, which ensures that you pretty much are limited to this type of PvE for hours.

Even the initiative-based thief doesn't really circumvent this problem, and the engineer doesn't have access to all his kits until a later level (and reading up, you wouldn't use most of them because optimal play requires the use of other skills). I don't feel necromancers and warriors aren't worth mentioning in this regard. From a concept standpoint, elementalists might be right up my alley, since attunement switching and combo-fielding might guarantee at least some degree of frantic button-pushing action.

So I find myself just chilling and exploring areas on my Guardian for now. I might be unusual that I prefer the jump puzzles to the combat.

chiablo

He said he wanted to PVP which you can go straight to, he doesn't need to do the shit he's talking about, even Hawkian was letting him know. But w/e ... I'm more concerned about the WvW que honesty. 3.5 hours is insane! Especially since it's not even the "big rush" yet from the initial launch.

If he wants to do WvW, then it does matter.

Proven

I was planning to spend like 40% of my game time in WvW, but with the queues and the Trading Post being down (where I would have gotten most of my income for siege equipment), I've had to do other things and be a bit disappointed. Frustrating.

Forkball

Ok, I'm kind of stuck when it comes to jewel crating. I crafted pretty much every earring and ring combo for the starter jewels (garnet, pearl, turquoise, amber etc.), and I'm not a high enough level for the more rarer jewels I've been finding (level 37 crafting). So uh, how do I level up my jewel crafting now? I can't make any more crafting components besides the copper ones.

I also upgraded my thief so he can have the shadowstep ability that's not tied to attacks. It's pretty great, and you can take some shortcuts up mountains or other frustrating areas as well.

alphaNoid

Banned
So is the GAF guild still closed? I've been trying to get in since launch night and no luck. GAFGuild thread on the site is locked still and I've gotten no response from any admins.

Anyone?

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
how is WvWvW these days? I've spent 100% of my time in PVE and loving the absolute **** out of it.

Depend on how fast your computer is :(

Mine is too slow for it, get like 12 fps whenever I am doing WvWvW. I just wish spvp would give karma and exp also, or at least some crafting materials.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Jump puzzles remind me of the old Maple Story jump quests, except that now they're actually completable. MS jump quests were, simply put, the worst thing EVER.

So is the GAF guild still closed? I've been trying to get in since launch night and no luck. GAFGuild thread on the site is locked still and I've gotten no response from any admins.

Anyone?
I heard that it's closed for now, and that they'll reopen it once the game officially launches. Don't know if the situation has changed, though.
Depend on how fast your computer is :(

Mine is too slow for it, get like 12 fps whenever I am doing WvWvW.
Man, my framerate is terrible in the Black Citadel. I get like 40-60 FPS everywhere else, but it crawls there. Was fine in WvWvW, too. So glad I didn't make a Charr character.

zlatko

Banned
So I went to the GAF guild site to get set up, but the thread is still locked to post your info to get an invite.

Should I post it here, PM someone, or ?

Tetsuo9

Ok, I'm kind of stuck when it comes to jewel crating. I crafted pretty much every earring and ring combo for the starter jewels (garnet, pearl, turquoise, amber etc.), and I'm not a high enough level for the more rarer jewels I've been finding (level 37 crafting). So uh, how do I level up my jewel crafting now? I can't make any more crafting components besides the copper ones.

Just grinding cheap rings until you get to 75 for the next refinement (silver ore)

EDIT: Also buy food or boosts so you can level up quicker.

ferr

Really liking dagger-pistol Thief so far, I feel like I can solo anything because of blindness.

Starting to notice overpopulation, I'm usually on overflow when I play, takes at least an hour to get out. And I've yet to make it through the WvW queue..

Trey

Oh dear god I just bought 20$ worth of gems. :D

I bought that much just to give further thanks to Anet for this amazing game. Really happy with GW2 right now, aside from a few things.

Those queues are ridiculous. So much demand. Anet staff must working around the clock.

I was planning to spend like 40% of my game time in WvW, but with the queues and the Trading Post being down (where I would have gotten most of my income for siege equipment), I've had to do other things and be a bit disappointed. Frustrating.

Just means you can get through that other 60 percent that much quicker!

I do need the trading post active as well. Really would speed some things up.

pyrandes

how is WvWvW these days? I've spent 100% of my time in PVE and loving the absolute **** out of it.
If you can get in, its a freaking blast.

If you go solo, Id recommend finding a group of people to follow along with (not necessarily party), but having folks you know to party with makes it 100x better.

pyrandes

Anyone?

Guild invites are bugged atm, so the officers closed the signups until its fixed and they can invite reliably :/

Dunlop

You're right, this game only has PvE and PvE only has events and discovering.

99.999% if the people in this thread do not give a shit if you powerlevel, prefer PVE,PVP or walks in the rain. Much less reading about it for 2 pages

edit: that is also directed at people telling you how you should play

Jack_AG

Banned
The more people around me the more I hate my Warrior. Trying to stay within melee range of a boss is a death sentence with a group of people. Too many effects all over the boss and the boss swapping targets every split second watching him turn in every which direction at once makes it impossible to avoid incoming attacks. Ranged weaponry is good for the Warrior but not as exciting as a Ranger and most certainly not as flavorful as an Ele.

I haven't gotten past 10 on any of my toons. DEs are just clusterfucks waiting to happen. They were "epic" for the first few times ... now when I see a DE pop up I'm like "ugh... not this shit again". Its quite depressing since this is a "hook" for the game and I have to put up with this for 80 levels.

I like the idea that everyone is working with each other but its too big of a non-streamlined mess.

Tetsuo9

The more people around me the more I hate my Warrior. Trying to stay within melee range of a boss is a death sentence with a group of people. Too many effects all over the boss and the boss swapping targets every split second watching him turn in every which direction at once makes it impossible to avoid incoming attacks. Ranged weaponry is good for the Warrior but not as exciting as a Ranger and most certainly not as flavorful as an Ele.

I haven't gotten past 10 on any of my toons. DEs are just clusterfucks waiting to happen. They were "epic" for the first few times ... now when I see a DE pop up I'm like "ugh... not this shit again". Its quite depressing since this is a "hook" for the game and I have to put up with this for 80 levels.

I like the idea that everyone is working with each other but its too big of a non-streamlined mess.

Agreed, I experienced that while in beta weekends, thats why I rolled a ranged class now. It's a fundamental problem of the game so I don't think there is an easy fix for that. For now, if you wanna go in againt a boss or big mob, keep dodging a lot and build tanky.

Yeah, Warrior is tough when playing against the huge boss battles. I'll just jump out and shoot my bow, roll in, get a couple hits then roll out.

They definitely have to work on the bosses to be a little more melee friendly. I've really enjoyed them once I realized my role isn't to just stand there and beat on them, but taking away what I feel is 90% of my class with a majority of the bigger bosses is pretty ridiculous IMO.

I do enjoy them though, it's kind of cool having to switch up to a completely different playstyle but I'd rather have my melee be viable without getting one-shot.

Trey

I normally get 60 locked aside from intense 40+ people battles, but when I go to Black Citadel my framerate drops to ~35 and then steadily climbs back up to 60. It's weird.

Spookie

HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIT. How many branches are there to this personal quest? It takes a dump on what Star Wars was offering.

"A current work around to join Guilds is to only press the "join" button after being invited, whilst you are in a WvW map! ^AT"

Varna

New Nvidia beta drivers out... unfortunately they offer no improvements.

Any others with SLI setups getting some text and icon glitches? For example the neogaf emblem on the guild page is flickering. It goes away once I turn SLI. Also the race selection screen runs at 10 FPS for some reason.

Sethos

Banned
Not that the game doesn't have glaring PvE faults, but leveling is fairly-set your own pace when it comes to the heart events. If I have anything to complain about on that front, it's that combat gets a bit stale. There's like 2-3 skills per weapon swap that you just go through, so sometimes there's periods where you just sit there waiting for your cooldowns to end. When you have only 5 abilities to work with (not counting the 6-10 skills, which are either passive, situationally useful, or on restrictive CDs), some of which aren't necessary or effective in PvE, any cooldown beyond 10 seconds is incredibly mind-numbing. This is only sort of exacerbated by the leveling curve, which ensures that you pretty much are limited to this type of PvE for hours.

Even the initiative-based thief doesn't really circumvent this problem, and the engineer doesn't have access to all his kits until a later level (and reading up, you wouldn't use most of them because optimal play requires the use of other skills). I don't feel necromancers and warriors aren't worth mentioning in this regard. From a concept standpoint, elementalists might be right up my alley, since attunement switching and combo-fielding might guarantee at least some degree of frantic button-pushing action.

So I find myself just chilling and exploring areas on my Guardian for now. I might be unusual that I prefer the jump puzzles to the combat.

I like the premise of it, the new take on levelling but I also feel the progression curve is utterly broken. It doesn't feel like a natural levelling progression or said better, smooth XP curve. That's what is stressing me out is, you can complete most mapped out events before even reaching 20% of the level set for that area - The rest is dynamic events that differ so wildly in speed of completion, fun and sometimes they just start when you are in the middle of something else, then when you finally want to do it you need to sit around waiting for it.

I hate that feeling of getting 2 bars in a split second and then 40 minutes can pass where you can the most scraped, pitiful XP that is barely worth your time. I furiously look over the map again and again, and again to find what next even I can run to that'll give me the next pitiful amount of XP and then ALL OF A SUDDEN you find a dynamic event and sometimes, only sometimes it's a good event that will earn you decent XP. Others it's about running around the same quarry for 20-30 minutes seeing a super slow progression bar because it only really moves significantly when you kill, pick up, drop something off ... Not the other players.

And it's also just the areas just doesn't seem to hold enough XP as their level range implies. Believe the step is 15-25 where the entrance areas start off low and as you progress is gets higher. I can barely get 4 levels in the entire zone, let alone 10 before I need to visit other starting zones, and scrounge around the world for more XP. I hate that stressful feeling of having to area jump constantly ... It all feels like vanilla WoW right now.

Don't get me wrong, despite what I said out of frustration, I like the system at heart but right now the execution is frustrating, slow and wildly inconsistent. You don't have that "Yeah, I'll make some progress today, enjoy the game and get to level 25!" more like "Shit, can I even get to 20?"

But I'm enjoying the other big part of the game, PvP and WvWvW is both fun and can yield good XP. ( 3 levels in the last 2 hours, +- )

Tetsuo9

Yeah, Warrior is tough when playing against the huge boss battles. I'll just jump out and shoot my bow, roll in, get a couple hits then roll out.

Yes, that is important. Jump in, do your combos while keep moving and when you run out of dodge meter retreat. Use ranged weapons until your CDs refresh and your dodge bar fills up.

Just found a way to get like 1200 XP every 3-4 minute ( Level 21 ), without doing anything pretty much besides using auto walk :p Well this is going to be a fast track levelling day.

You're not using that small cave out in the corner of The Bloodlands in Gendarran Fields are you? Because Arenanet know about it, it's on their list to patch and there's rumors about everything from 3 day suspensions to rollbacks as punishment.

Same for me. I rolled a charr for my BWE character and even then I was surprised how much better the other cities performed, even with tons of people around. They need to do something about that... I don't see too many Charr around as it is.
It also doesn't help that the Citadel happens to be somewhat sprawling in nature, having instances and staircases and so forth everywhere. Very disorientating for a wandering Norn such as myself. :p Really makes me appreciate the layout of Hoelbrak, even if it is a bit plain in some respects.
Agreed, I experienced that while in beta weekends, thats why I rolled a ranged class now. It's a fundamental problem of the game so I don't think there is an easy fix for that. For now, if you wanna go in againt a boss or big mob, keep dodging a lot and build tanky.
I wonder if it's possible for characters to get more stamina so they can dodge more often, because being able to only dodge twice isn't sufficient (IMO) if you are to be a melee tank, especially if dodges interrupt your attack.

Sethos

Banned
You're not using that small cave out in the corner of The Bloodlands in Gendarran Fields are you? Because Arenanet know about it, it's on their list to patch and there's rumors about everything from 3 day suspensions to rollbacks as punishment.

No, just following Dolyaks that have been bunched up, so I can get the 'delivery' reward from them both on their ( short ) supply run :)

Yes, that is important. Jump in, do your combos while keep moving and when you run out of dodge meter retreat. Use ranged weapons until your CDs refresh and your dodge bar fills up.

Exactly, it's just really different from other MMO's where you are limited to your class abilities which in the case of melee ... was melee. At least here I can still get Gold while doing this. Plus a Charr rolling in and out of battle is entertaining to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom