• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
I originally thought Engineer would have a hard time holding his own in PvP: until I started running a Grenade / Bombs / Oil Boots build with Mortar on the Elite. I no longer fear Guardians.

Ye Gods, but the Engineer is fun. And the PvP automated Tournament system is rocking.

Emitan

You need to keep moving during battles. Always be circling the enemy and stay behind them. Melee is totally viable against bosses

Also "I rerolled as a ranged class". There is no such thing.

Ferny

So is the GAF guild still closed? I've been trying to get in since launch night and no luck. GAFGuild thread on the site is locked still and I've gotten no response from any admins.

Anyone?
We've replied almost every single time. Not only here but over on the site. Invites are bugged right now and until they are fixed there is no point in inviting. Once it is taken care of, we will reopen it up.

HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIT. How many branches are there to this personal quest? It takes a dump on what Star Wars was offering.

The branches don't really go anywhere though, it pretty much always goes back to the same line. You are given a few choices but the destination is the same.

Sethos

Banned
That's a pretty elegant and non-exploitive solution. How much XP per hour do you get with that?

Haven't really done any deep calculations, but a run with two of them gets me 636 ( at level 22 now, it scales per level ) for each of them, a run takes about 3 or 4 minutes. So each level is around 35-40 minutes which may be slow for some but it's about 400% faster than what I could ever achieve outside but the main attraction is watching a movie on the other screen and barely lifting a thumb :p Just gotta have that walk bind and auto-run key ready.

Then again, our server completely owns WvWvW in every sense of the word. I can do this in peace.

Mothman91

Has anyone else gotten their personal story line bugged yet? Happened to me twice. Once where I had to open this dudes chest, and yet I couldn't talk to him. Another where I had to talk to someone again, yet I couldn't interact with him. Had to go out and reset it both times.

ShaneB

I LOVE the game, but I am indeed in perpetual class confusion if I want to stick with the Warrior with the issues mentioned here. I've briefly tried a few other classes but I keep going back to the Warrior, so I guess it is what I want to stick with, but then it comes to WvW zergs or the DE where everything is crazy, and I just don't like I've got much use when it's clusterfuck.

Of course, everything still feels new and combat is definitely a lot more dynamic, I'm not there to stand still and tab target and just smash away, does involve a lot of dodging and using the AoE I do have and playing smart, and things will open up the more I play. I really love the depth in what seems like limited skillsets at first.

edit: also, any Guild Wars 2 podcasts to recommend that I can listen to here at work?

So. What all should I be doing in this game? I've been doing the character story stuff, heart missions, and the random events that pop up. I see something about dungeons in the OP, haven't seen any of those, but assume I'll just stumble on them eventually? Anything else I'm missing as far as mission types?

J0dy77

Yes, that is important. Jump in, do your combos while keep moving and when you run out of dodge meter retreat. Use ranged weapons until your CDs refresh and your dodge bar fills up.

Just use a rifle. Strong weapon and gets you through the big battles. I'm sure you can build out a tank spec and gear for late game bosses if needed to take some hits. Definitely not a perfect system right now but I don't mind that much since those huge battles arent that often so far.

Vinci

Danish
Dagger IMO for 1 target dmg. The 1 key does shit loads of dmg.

Yup. My necromancer is a melee toon. Almost never use Death Shroud except if I'm being focus-fired or need to fear people away to save an ally. My swap is scepter-warhorn for Swiftness and some kickass condition stacking. Love the hell out of it.

Because of the daggers, my necromancer was leveling roughly 1.5 times faster than my other characters did. I played him maybe 1/3rd the time of the other two and he was nearly their level when I had to stop playing late Sunday night.

Also? Soloing a veteran 5 levels higher than you? How can that be wrong?

Effect

Is Guild Wars 2 making anyone else question any future gaming related purchases? At least for the next 6 months?

The amount of content in the game and how much I can get out of the game (not counting any new updates they come out with until the first expansion and basing this on the little I've seen during my first few hours of play) has me seriously asking myself if I want to pick up a Wii U at launch now. It has nothing to do with the Wii U and it's quality but the actual time I'll have available. I can see Guild Wars 2 taking up a LOT of my gaming time in the coming months (as I finish off The Last Story and Xenoblade) and that's just on one character (have a human guardian and a elementalist slyvari but focusing on my guardian first). The system and it's games where the only other gaming purchases I planned to make after GW2 and The Last Story this year and next year. Not spending the money would be great as well.

Dakota47

After 20 minutes of trying out names I finally found one that wasn't taken yet, and I was actually surprised it wasn't. My Asura Engie is now called Lamarr.

Vinci

Danish
Is Guild Wars 2 making anyone else question any future gaming related purchases? At least for the next 6 months?

The amount of content in the game and how much I can get out of the game (not counting any new updates they come out with until the first expansion and basing this on the little I've seen during my first few hours of play) has me seriously asking myself if I want to pick up a Wii U at launch now. It has nothing to do with the Wii U and it's quality but the actual time I'll have available. I can see Guild Wars 2 taking up a LOT of my gaming time in the coming months (as I finish off The Last Story and Xenoblade) and that's just on one character (have a human guardian and a elementalist slyvari but focusing on my guardian first). The system and it's games where the only other gaming purchases I planned to make after GW2 and The Last Story this year and next year. Not spending the money would be great as well.

Having an MMO that I really enjoy basically removes the option for other gaming-related purchases for months... even years. To say the least, this game is going to save me an immense amount of money.

KiteGr

I just made my first character on "Aurora Glade".

Name: Uneeded Inadequacy
Server: Aurora Glade [EU]
Race: Sylvary
Profession: Engineer

Now I have a few questions.
  • The Black Lion trade does not seem to work. Is it down or something?
  • If I can chose only one Home server for all my characters, how do I interact with other servers?

When is GMG going to send me my key :/

This is what my purchase confirmation email said that I got from them when I bought the game on Friday. "This game is not available for download yet. It will be unlocked on 28-Aug-2012. Any required keys will be made available on that date". It appears we will be getting our keys tomorrow.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Not really, thankfully. I'll burn myself out on this game in a month, which will be perfect timing for the beginning of holiday. I'll still pick it up once a week, or so to play with some close friends, but I'm thankfully I don't have an addiction problem with games like this.

Vinci

Danish
I just made my first character on "Aurora Glade".

Name: Uneeded Inadequacy
Server: Aurora Glade [EU]
Race: Sylvary
Profession: Engineer

Now I have a few questions.
  • The Black Lion trade does not seem to work. Is it down or something?
  • If I can chose only one Home server for all my characters, how do I interact with other servers?

Yes, it's been down all weekend.

And you'll be able to play with others through a Guesting option. However, that's not available right now. The only thing you will not be able to do via Guesting is play with them in WvW.

Effect

Having an MMO that I really enjoy basically removes the option for other gaming-related purchases for months... even years. To say the least, this game is going to save me an immense amount of money.

My senior year of high school and undergraduate college years were like this as well. Even for a time after that. Granted while I was paying a monthly fee off and on it was still significantly cheaper to play MMOs (or even action rpgs like the Dungeon Siege series for example) during those years. I'm actually welcoming this again but this time, as far as I see things at the moment, it will be even better as there is no monthly fee. I hope the cash shop doesn't have anything that interesting though. I might cave and maybe something if things are good. I've stayed out of it at this point other then to get my hat because of this.

PaulLFC

Just tried to make a character and when I hit next after entering a name (I think it was a free name as others before had popped up the "in use" message) the game crashed and said a serious error had occurred.

Looked at the details and it says a file within the archive ("MainCli" so something to do with the client I assume) was corrupted, and to run the program with -repair. Trying that now, but it looks like it'll take ages. I'll never get to play the game at this rate!

tjohn86

This is what my purchase confirmation email said that I got from them when I bought the game on Friday. "This game is not available for download yet. It will be unlocked on 28-Aug-2012. Any required keys will be made available on that date". It appears we will be getting our keys tomorrow.

Weak. Thanks for the info though.

Quaggan vs Charkitty needs a new issue. Charkitty trying to sell his stuff getting a 502 and then cut to Quaggan sleeping on top of the server with the network cables cut.

I really think this might be one of the best games in the past 5+ years.

I'm loving exploring the cities and getting all the vistas, points of interest, waypoints to get the treasure chest with achievement.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I have what some might call "a problem."

jbrRdnfaOUlFkH.jpg

e1pF3.png

ibvR1O8cbWbH6N.png

Some of my many screens...
The variety in environments, color palettes, set pieces and memorable landmarks is astounding. By the way, that last shot is a reproduction of what it feels like to be a part of the World Event that wound up with me getting this drop:
iiPEmISNlDIW8.png

I'm level 25, and a lot of the people I know who are higher than 25 have played less time. I'd like to make clear that from my perspective this is a good thing. I've spent a lot of time just doing things for fun (jumping puzzles, climbing mountains, showing people around WvW, refining controller arrangements) and getting near-constant levels of enjoyment. I don't go looking for how to get more XP, I just think about what I want to do next.

Also surprised at what I've settled into with my thief- sword/gun and gun/dagger. Never would have seen that coming. Although I miss shortbow something awful. :p

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
42 hours over the past 2 days? You do realize that means you haven't slept at all, right?

zlatko

Banned
After 20 minutes of trying out names I finally found one that wasn't taken yet, and I was actually surprised it wasn't. My Asura Engie is now called Lamarr.

Yeah naming characters in this game actually took me a fuck ton of time.

My Asura necro ended up being called Lasheef. Never used that name, and thought it up on the spot after trying all my usual combinations of shit.

Stuart444

I really enjoy playing as an Ele, I also find it fun to be able to heal people using Healing Rain (Staff wep). I hardly switch now to any other weapon (learned all my skills apart from under water ones) because of stuff like my water healing skills.

Do we know where Titan Alliance went? Was wondering if we'd ever be up against them

My server (henge of denravi) seems to have them

Chris R

Anyone have a good resource on crafting/gathering stuff? I really want to get into it (basically my second favorite thing to do in MMOs after just exploring).

vaelic

Banned
Guild Wars 2 crafter reaches level 80 first

Although folks talk about how much there is to do and how many places there are to explore in Guild Wars 2, the first confirmed level 80 character goes to *drum roll* a crafter! That's right, Surfeuze -- a member of the French guild War Legend -- has hit the level cap by simply crafting with guild donated materials.

Reaching max-level, however, doesn't give Surfeuze an instant win button; he still needs to earn reputation points to purchase items and missing achievements. Also, since maps scale to a player's level, if Surfeuze decides to go out and experience other parts of the game, he won't be able to tear through the content as a level 80. Nonetheless, his accomplishment before the game even officially launches is still quite the achievement.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/08/27/guild-wars-2-crafter-reaches-level-80-first/

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
42 hours over the past 2 days? You do realize that means you haven't slept at all, right?
For the last ~30... nope I haven't slept at all don't tell anyone.

And if anyone finds or has a hood of any kind (covers eyes and nose, doesn't cover mouth, that's what I really want..
DOES HE HAVE A JOB?
There's this hurricane... I am very hard at work from home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom