• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lrn2reed

Neo Member
Any general advice regarding story quests? Those, and their difficulty tuning, are the only thing I truly dislike about this game. I am a Norn Warrior, if that matters. Ranged enemiese their shots seem to auto-aim on you and thus force you to use your dodge which is then unusable for the attack of their melee friends. If I save the dodges for the melee enemies I get chipped down by the ranged enemies, faster than my heal refreshes...

This right here! Any tips on how to better story quests, especially for the theif. Even though I've got at least 1 npc tagging along, the ranged mobs are ridiculous.

I'm actually getting SWTOR storyline vibes from the personal quests...they may be tuned a little too aggressively considering I can handle multiple 1-2+ level mobs in pve.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Man, the more I play this, the more I love it. The world events where 20+ people are helping out are a blast. It's insane that it took so long for an MMO to come out that encourages people to help one another out like GW2 does. It's impossible to be selfish since EVERYONE benefits from EVERYTHING.

RossCo

Neo Member
Any top tips for survival in the catacombs? We did a run through there last night after defeating the "get everyone in the same instance" challenge, and felt seriously outgunned.

I am guessing we need to get used to dodging more often, and maybe shift some traits more towards survival, but man those random mobs hurt. The spike traps from the archers were pretty much one shotting (well, to be accurate, most of my health plus a slow to stop me avoiding the second dose of pain).

That being said I was impressed with the can-do spirit in the group of EU gaffers, with the amount of times we got our teeth kicked down our throat I would have expected more table flipping :)

jbortz78

I'm 16 right now and if soloing, with pets of course, I go with axe and focus. The axe has the better direct target damage, but also has that great aoe attack that gives a window of retaliation. The focus gives the nice regen that bounces around. Out of all the off-hands, none have seemed as good as the focus, unless I'm missing something.

But when dealing in a group, I go staff and just drop marks everywhere. For traits, I'm using death magic to up my toughness. Still feel a bit squishy in combat, and I'm not fond of my bone fiend.

Thanks then I need to find a new axe, since I salvaged the one I have by misstake:(
So far Ive upped my power and cond dmg by traits but I think I will follow your example and put some points in toughness since I also feel a bit squishy when I dont have my Death Shroud up.

Which pet do you use? I recently started using the Shadow fiend but like bone fiend it dies soo fast:(

Audioboxer

My new Charr Warrior, inspired by one of my favourite games of this gen :p

gw009.jpg

timkunedo

I'm really not enjoying the inventory management and crafting in this game

What are your complaints? I was thinking the exact opposite. In 1 click you can move all crafting mats to storage, and in 1 click you can compact your inventory.

also for crafting you have instant access to everything in your bank without having to go to the bank first and getting all your stuff. To me this is revolutionary. All MMOs should pay attention to this.

Ken

Did the Swamp world event. Pretty cool even though I was super under-leveled by about 3 levels lol. Only got heavy armor out of it even though I'm a thief. ;_;

ArenaNet has an incredible post right now on reddit where they're allowing players who've been banned to ask why their account is now suspended. ArenaNet is then pulling the chat logs and publicly commenting on what it was they said that got them a 72 hour suspension. Some of it is a comedic goldmine.

This is probably one of the best threads I've read in a while. So awesome.

I think my favorites are people with names like "JizzGuzzler" and Anet will respond and then they'll say "fuck you for treating us like children!" ... I mean really?

The only place I've really seen people be dipshits is in WvWvW but then again, I completely have map chat turned off for anywhere else. I'm not making the mistake of having general chat on in this game.

My biggest gripe with the game is that it can be very melee unfriendly at times. I understand that no class is a melee class and all that, but my Guardian is toeing that fine line since I'm not a huge fan of their Scepter/Staff skills. Getting up close, in my experience thus far, creates issues where you can't see the boss aoe to roll out of like you can at range, and also opens you up to direct attacks that aren't an issue at range. For some bosses, like the Fire elemental, you're also much more likely to have six adds randomly aggro and zerg you since most other people seem to just shoot from range and are too far away to aggro the adds. My solution would be to somehow provide melee players a 25-50% damage reduction in PVE encounters with creatures like that.

Yeah, overall it suffers from the same shit every MMO has, ranged has it the best in almost every encounter because they have control and distance. My advice is to give up on doing melee only with bosses. Wait for the AOE, run in and get a couple moves off, then roll out and just range attack until you see the AOE again. It's the only way to really do it. With the couple extra hits that you can get in melee you can usually get the best rating for the event, they seem to be pretty lenient when it comes to rewards.

What really sucks is that my Rifle or Bow seems to have shit range for WvW keep stand offs. Constantly getting Out of Range or Obstructed while the same character is tearing me a new one. I might actually ditch the Warrior and play a ranged class only in WvW as melee is pretty worthless for big keep standoffs. Unless you're one of those classes that has that fucking pull down move. Cheapest shit, fucking hate it. Basically it seems like 5 Guardians could take a keep by just pulling all the support down into the zerg down below, it's like the huge castle wall you're standing behind is pointless.

Yes, I'm pissed.

Yeah you're probably right. I just always kept any movement stock and used mouse keys, modifier keys and the other keys around the movement keys to bind my hotkeys. Q and E as pure strafing is second nature to me after years of MMOs.

Well after years of MMOs I have always rebound a and d to be the strafing keys. Who the hell needs turning keys when you're holding a mouse? And I use my mouse's side key for auto movement or whatever (the R key beforehand)

My biggest gripe with the game is that it can be very melee unfriendly at times. I understand that no class is a melee class and all that, but my Guardian is toeing that fine line since I'm not a huge fan of their Scepter/Staff skills. Getting up close, in my experience thus far, creates issues where you can't see the boss aoe to roll out of like you can at range, and also opens you up to direct attacks that aren't an issue at range. For some bosses, like the Fire elemental, you're also much more likely to have six adds randomly aggro and zerg you since most other people seem to just shoot from range and are too far away to aggro the adds. My solution would be to somehow provide melee players a 25-50% damage reduction in PVE encounters with creatures like that.

Another problem ive run into is random XP gaps where youll get halfway to the next level, but run out of hearts/vistas/etc and cant stumble across an event. I mean, i can run around aimlessly looking to run into one, but that becomes a coin flip. My last 'issue' is that it seems like a pain to acquire enough components to naturally level leatherworking (and tailoring from what map chat seemed to indicate), as well as the random drop fine materials needed for crafting weapons. Overall the game is excellent, but like any game it can use further refinement IMO.

Yea in melee the chaos of the large battles and all the effects often makes it impossible to tell what is going on or if even the enemy i sputting down an attack that can harm you that you need to dogde away from. In melee it seems like most of the time in these clusterfucks, I have no idea what is damaging me. They need to do some color adjustments or add in some better threat indicators as in the big messes I often feel like just standing back and shooting instead where I can see whats happening.

I asked this before but now that more people are playing I will ask again.

Is anyone playing this on a TV? How does the UI scale and do you think it's a completely playable experience on a large HDTV?

Lyng

The starting Norn area looks pretty poor. Someone tell me gets way better please.

I found the Norn area pretty dull too. Charr area is very cool if your looking for big scale warzones.
If your more into nature and love the Sylvari have a nice startingzone.
If you like humour the Asura is quiet hillarious.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I found the Norn area pretty dull too. Charr area is very cool if your looking for big scale warzones.
If your more into nature and love the Sylvari have a nice startingzone.
If you like humour the Asura is quiet hillarious.

Yeah I deleted my norn character due to getting bored there. By far the Charr area is for me. :D

datamage

I asked this before but now that more people are playing I will ask again.

Is anyone playing this on a TV? How does the UI scale and do you think it's a completely playable experience on a large HDTV?

I'm playing it on a 64" and it's fine. (You can increase the UI size.)

red13th

I've enjoyed the norn starting area, did it once with my warrior up to lv.8, didn't like warriors very much and now I'm redoing it with a guardian.
I'll need an invite (US) when I get home, I was so absorbed into the game that I didn't even think of asking for an invite.

V_Arnold

To those that think crafting is not fast enough: use your brains! The discovery method in this game is VERY simple (yet elegant at the same time), if you try to level up without using the Discovery tab, you are most likely looking at two or three times the material costs.

So whenever you seem to have hit a "stop", gather one type of mob resource (totem, scale, vial, blood, etc), get about 20-30 of them, make the corresponding (and highest) insignias you can make, create armor/weapon pieces and discover the new variants. You will get the item made and have a great XP boost as well.

Finished up Wayfarer Foothills last night (and got some baller boots and pants), and then decided to advance my personal story line. Which I did... until 'Rumors of Trouble.' That mission is so fucked. NPC allies wipe immediately, and then I died over and over, making very little progress on what I understand to be only the first wave of 3. Die to aoe, respawn (naked, because my armor broke half an hour ago), immediately die again, if not to the aoe, then to the basic attacks which take like a fifth of my health off at a time. Rinse and repeat.

I would have asked for help, but I haven't been able to get into the guild yet TT.

Anyone have any advice for this quest?

timkunedo

Finished up Wayfarer Foothills last night (and got some baller boots and pants), and then decided to advance my personal story line. Which I did... until 'Rumors of Trouble.' That mission is so fucked. NPC allies wipe immediately, and then I died over and over, making very little progress on what I understand to be only the first wave of 3. Die to aoe, respawn (naked, because my armor broke half an hour ago), immediately die again, if not to the aoe, then to the basic attacks which take like a fifth of my health off at a time. Rinse and repeat.

I would have asked for help, but I haven't been able to get into the guild yet TT.

Anyone have any advice for this quest?

dumb question sorry, but are you at the appropriate level for the quest?

Dunlop

What? Crafting in this game is amazing!

I never really touched it in the BWE's and stress tests so I probably expected more based off of all the gushing reviews

It's not a deal changer for me or anything but some of my gripes are just:

- Better tutorials needed for crafting/inventory management
- Better sorting options (i.e item types grouped together)
- I would like when you click on a salvaging kit for all the items that can me salvagable to be highlighted so I am not wasting time
- While it is nice that the bank tab is in the crafter screen, it is still a pain to make room for crafting gear in your bags while you need to craft only to put the mats right back when you are done

Maybe there are tricks I don't know yet, I had zero time to play this weekend and when I had a chance last night I found the game to be very grindy, probably because I was so far behind people in my guild and there were a lot of public quest I needed to solo (some are very time consuming).

Love my engineer, game is still fun but it is not the earth shattering fun I had in the BWE's

JoeBoy101

Thanks then I need to find a new axe, since I salvaged the one I have by misstake:(
So far Ive upped my power and cond dmg by traits but I think I will follow your example and put some points in toughness since I also feel a bit squishy when I dont have my Death Shroud up.

Which pet do you use? I recently started using the Shadow fiend but like bone fiend it dies soo fast:(

Which?

I use both. And my blood fiend. I'm running around with three pets.

Aeana

Anyone getting the BradyGames official strategy guide?
I bought the digital version that ANet put up yesterday so I could flip through it on my iPad while I was out, and the contents were pretty awful. It's even missing the crafting recipe list that it claims to have.

Nymerio

I never really touched it in the BWE's and stress tests so I probably expected more based off of all the gushing reviews

It's not a deal changer for me or anything but some of my gripes are just:

- Better tutorials needed for crafting/inventory management
- Better sorting options (i.e item types grouped together)
- I would like when you click on a salvaging kit for all the items that can me salvagable to be highlighted so I am not wasting time
- While it is nice that the bank tab is in the crafter screen, it is still a pain to make room for crafting gear in your bags while you need to craft only to put the mats right back when you are done

Maybe there are tricks I don't know yet, I had zero time to play this weekend and when I had a chance last night I found the game to be very grindy, probably because I was so far behind people in my guild and there were a lot of public quest I needed to solo (some are very time consuming).

Love my engineer, game is still fun but it is not the earth shattering fun I had in the BWE's

It's kinda strange that you have to put the crafting mats in your inventory if the bank tab is in the same window as the other crafting stuff already. And that salvage highlight thing would be awesome.

You should give it more time, this is probably the least grindy mmo I've ever played.

Piecake

I really need to get some more sleep. Ruined my enjoyment of the game yesterday a bit since i was pretty tired. Damn you work for making me get up early

Ms. Tea

Anyone else tried the new Nvidia 306.02 beta drivers? With the new ambient occlusion feature off, it's made a really noticeable improvement in FPS improvement for me - I'm getting a solid 60FPS everywhere except group events with 20 players, on almost maxed settings.

jbortz78

Which?

I use both. And my blood fiend. I'm running around with three pets.

Aah I forgot that you could have more than one up at the same time... Gonna try that tonight for a bit, really like the Signet that gives me Power passive and bunch of conditions when active...

How exactly is it possible to enjoy WvWvW when your server sucks at it? Most of the time there is no progress done at all, enemies are constantly outnumbering you and it just gives you the feeling that you're wasting your time.

Smidget

Downloading the game now, does picking a world really matter that much? Is GAF on one particular world or does it not work like that? I intend to spend most of my day at work reading up on GW2!

Any recommend all in one spot reading links?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom