• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audioboxer

ArenaNet need to fix the Charr clipping, pretty unpolished to have this :(

gw010.jpg

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Not feeling the PvP at all, seems far too easy to just run away from people. And in general the combat just isn't all that great, WoW had it's problems in PvP but it's much better than this.

Yeah, I'd like to know this too. I thought there was going to be a 5v5, 8v8 or 16v16 type pvp mode but all it seems to be are the battlegrounds/boderlands, which are pretty much exactly like the eternal battleground place too. It all plays the same.

Not to mention it takes like 20 minutes to even get to the other side of the borderlands. Ugh. :

There is sPvP that you can que up for by entering the mists. To do this go to your hero tab and go to the PvP
one on the left. Select enter mists and then just follow the tutorials.

And I don't know what routes your taking but I can get from one end of a WvW map to the other in less than 5 minutes.

Audίoboxer;41495199 said:
ArenaNet need to fix the Charr clipping, pretty unpolished to have this :(

gw010.jpg

I wish they would fix shields so they aren't floating away from your arm so much, it looks awful

Not feeling the PvP at all, seems far too easy to just run away from people.

you must be fighting alot of thiefs. Some classes really suck at getting away. Thieves are basically best and most mobile class and rocking spvp

LTWheels

Login seems to be working for EU now. If you can login now, Gandara is not full, it is only high. So you can server transfer before it's too late.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hey, where is that post about playing GW2 with a controller? (or is there a new better/updated post since the one from the BWEs)
You can have the one we've got (which is probably improved since the BWEs) but a better (in my opinion basically final) version is coming later today if you don't mind waiting a bit.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
3AQmK.gif
There's other stuff too.

Combos are always seriously powerful, they're not just a gimmick. Any self combos you can perform you should be constantly taking advantage of- and remember you might have a field on one weapon set (or attunement for ele) and a finisher on another!

I love how they handled race in this game. Instead of restricting you by class or making you predisposed to something with certain stats, they provide every class with an additional layer of options that can really change things up. It wouldn't make sense for a Norn thief to have access to advanced technology, but as an Asura thief, it makes perfect sense for me to get overwhelmed in a mob, throw down a device that generates a Radiation Field, stealth and escape to the perimeter. (Incredibly fun skill by the way. Thing lasts forever).

There is no tanking. Doing a particularly high spike of damage will definitely get a mob's attention though.

I still have no idea how combos work. I've triggered some finishers before, but I couldn't tell you how I did it. Is there a UI element that tells you what stage you are on in a combo? If you have more information about them, I'd love to hear it.

Stuart444

You can have the one we've got (which is probably improved since the BWEs) but a better (in my opinion basically final) version is coming later today if you don't mind waiting a bit.

No problem, I don't mind waiting. I assume even though it's a third party app (game profilers and the like) that Anet won't mind or ban people using it? Just asking incase...

But yeah, my gf is using the laptop here and it's not the easiest (using the keyboard and her old mouse) so I figured maybe trying out a controller would help

Gritesh

I've only played for about an hour

But I really like the game and:

"This is the game you were looking for"

Is the feeling I am having right now

I still have no idea how combos work. I've triggered some finishers before, but I couldn't tell you how I did it. Is there a UI element that tells you what stage you are on in a combo? If you have more information about them, I'd love to hear it.

Seconded. I was going to experiment with this some today.

KePoW

Banned

I would like a detailed explanation of combo system too, I have no idea what it means or how it works.

Can every class do combos themselves?

I would like a detailed explanation of combo system too, I have no idea what it means or how it works.

Combos are done with other classes. You have an ability that creates an opener or combo area. Certain abilities you use along with that other classes opener or done in the combo area cause the combo to trigger.

Madridy

So how does Guild Wars 2 treat regions? will I have to buy a EU copy to play in EU servers?
or will a US version let me choose different servers in any region I want?

diffusionx

Gold Member
I'm seriously considering getting a new mouse for this game. MUST BE WIRELESS.

Logitech G700 or Razer Naga Epic?

I've only played for about an hour

But I really like the game and:

"This is the game you were looking for"

Is the feeling I am having right now

I know that feel bro.

I've been waiting for a MMO like this since Warhammer flopped. Once I stepped into the WvW during beta I knew this game was for me.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
No problem, I don't mind waiting. I assume even though it's a third party app (game profilers and the like) that Anet won't mind or ban people using it? Just asking incase...

But yeah, my gf is using the laptop here and it's not the easiest (using the keyboard and her old mouse) so I figured maybe trying out a controller would help
Literally all Xpadder and AHK are doing are keyboard/mouse button presses with things that are bound in-game. I cannot possibly imagine that anything within the scope of this project violates ArenaNet's TOS or anti-cheat mechanisms. And truthfully, honestly playing with a gamepad is ultimately a hindrance over the intended control scheme of KB+M; I wouldn't necessarily recommend for sPvP (although I'm getting pretty damn good).

Seconded. I was going to experiment with this some today.

You guys got it!

There are two components to a Combo: a field and a finisher.
Fields are what you drop down to enable other players (or yourself with another skill) to do combos.

Finishers are what completes the combo. There are four kinds of finishers (I think, I can't access the wiki).
-Leap
-Blast
-Projectile
-Whirl

The effect of the combo is different depending on what kind of field and finisher are involved. When a combo is successful, you'll see a little popup of what the effect was, such as "Poison," "Remove Condition," "Area Stealth," etc.

It's possible that not every class can do combos within themselves, although... they probably can.

As a thief, if I threw down Choking Gas (which is a Poison Field) with the shortbow, I could then fire arrows through it to make them Poison arrows (a very simple example as a combo). But even without shortbow equipped, I can throw down Radiation Field (racial AoE skill) and fire shots with my gun through it and they'll get the poison combo.

Here are examples of other combos:
Smoke Screen + a Blast Finisher (I think Warrior has a stomp?) = Area Stealth, everyone in the ring gets cloaked
Dark Field (I don't know an example) + Projectiles through it = Life Stealing

Artanisix

Took me a while to get into the game... my first three classes were a drag, and the human starting area blows. Really really enjoying the Norn Warrior though, hit 17 and am having a blast now.

Koeta

Anyone having issues with guild upgrades just disappearing, we finally got the points to start our Guild Stash upgrade, 2 or 3 hours into it, it's not in the list anymore and the 1,000 influence points are gone.

Cmagus

I am Marron Corova on Stormbluff. I tried contacting someone for an invite to the guild but it doesn't seem like any are on right now. If someone has a sec and I could get one that would be great. My class is thief and I am level 8.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I am Marron Corova on Stormbluff. I tried contacting someone for an invite to the guild but it doesn't seem like any are on right now. If someone has a sec and I could get one that would be great. My class is thief and I am level 8.
For the moment Guild Invites are simply still bugged.

However, did you sign up on the sign-up thread on gafguild.com?

People who signed up in the thread are still being given first dibs when invites are functioning properly. If you have not signed up, you will need to sit tight until we work through the list.

Lotsa people wanna play!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't expect to be able to move while casting spells. This is awesome!

Man, that's just the tip of the iceberg.

You really need to throw out everything you think you know about MMORPG combat in this game. The sooner you do and open yourself up to learning new things, the sooner you'll be able to enjoy it.

It's deceptive, because the game presents itself in a similar fashion to WoW and other MMORPGs of that style. It also doesn't go out of its way to really explain anything to the player.

I'm seriously considering getting a new mouse for this game. MUST BE WIRELESS.

Logitech G700 or Razer Naga Epic?

EDIT: I thought you meant the G600, which is like Naga ... my bad! I had the MX Revolution which is shaped like the G700 and I didn't really like the feel of it that much.

I would go for the Logitech. This is from an owner of the Naga. It's not that Naga is bad (I love it) but the buttons no the side are a little further back than I'd like. 7-12 are almost all map or inventory items (12 being push to talk but might change that) and the way I hold it the front two buttons are useless.

The logitech has concave sections so you know if you're in 1-6 or -7-12. If I didn't pick up a G13 and a new headset I'd be all over it. I have heard you need to kind of get used to having that third mouse button on the far right but the number pad on the keypad should make up for that, or just disable it.

Took me a while to get into the game... my first three classes were a drag, and the human starting area blows. Really really enjoying the Norn Warrior though, hit 17 and am having a blast now.

I'm lvl 15 Warrior and I really dislike it in WvW so far. I think I'll have to group up more often and just be a support person. In big battles you're worthless (yes, even switching to ranged which does shit for damage it seems with a decent weapon) ... BUT, I won't say I am infallible, I'm sure I'm doing some things wrong.

Love it in PVE though!

Cmagus

People who signed up in the thread are still being given first dibs when invites are functioning properly. If you have not signed up, you will need to sit tight until we work through the list.

Lotsa people wanna play!

Thanks I'll sign up now

KePoW

Banned
You guys got it!

There are two components to a Combo: a field and a finisher.
Fields are what you drop down to enable other players (or yourself with another skill) to do combos.

Finishers are what completes the combo. There are four kinds of finishers (I think, I can't access the wiki).
-Leap
-Blast
-Projectile
-Whirl

The effect of the combo is different depending on what kind of field and finisher are involved. When a combo is successful, you'll see a little popup of what the effect was, such as "Poison," "Remove Condition," "Area Stealth," etc.

It's possible that not every class can do combos within themselves, although... they probably can.

As a thief, if I threw down Choking Gas (which is a Poison Field) with the shortbow, I could then fire arrows through it to make them Poison arrows (a very simple example as a combo). But even without shortbow equipped, I can throw down Radiation Field (racial AoE skill) and fire shots with my gun through it and they'll get the poison combo.

Here are examples of other combos:
Smoke Screen + a Blast Finisher (I think Warrior has a stomp?) = Area Stealth, everyone in the ring gets cloaked
Dark Field (I don't know an example) + Projectiles through it = Life Stealing

Thanks for trying to explain.

Follow-up question... so does ANY combo "field" skill work with all "finisher" skills? Or do they have to be certain types? Like I didn't know what Blast or Leap or whatever meant.

Aeana

Lotsa people wanna play!
Does the WvW trick not work?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
BTW Major kudos to whoever it was on ArenaNet's staff that decided to record voice dialogue for such things as (Asura examples in parentheses):

-Performing a combo ("A clever combination!")
-Gaining swiftness ("Exhilirating!"
-Calling target ("Attack my target!")

The last one in particular is genius. If you're in a battle turned the wrong way you might not see that someone had even called a target. Now you can hear it too.

Does the WvW trick not work?
No idea, we can certainly try tonight.
Thanks for trying to explain.

Follow-up question... so does ANY combo "field" skill work with all "finisher" skills? Or do they have to be certain types? Like I didn't know what Blast or Leap or whatever meant.
Yep yep, all finishers work with all fields. The effect of any one kind of field with any one kind of finisher is always the same regardless of the skill. Here's a chart!
JQFTe.png

Do not underestimate how fucking cool Area Stealth is.

Artanisix

I'm lvl 15 Warrior and I really dislike it in WvW so far. I think I'll have to group up more often and just be a support person. In big battles you're worthless (yes, even switching to ranged which does shit for damage it seems with a decent weapon) ... BUT, I won't say I am infallible, I'm sure I'm doing some things wrong.

Love it in PVE though!

Yeah I haven't tried WvW with my warrior yet. I've heard that rifle does crazy single target damage though. Warriors are probably better in the heart of the mist stuff than in WvW.

Proven

Hardly. Most zones 35+ you can get the waypoints/POI/Vistas/hearts done and still have 80% of the levels needed for the zones range, so you're left with cycling through dynamic events till you level.

That's when you go find one of the other zones for that level range, or go crafting. If you stick to a straight path in this game, it kinda punishes you.

KePoW

Banned
Yep yep, all finishers work with all fields. The effect of any one kind of field with any one kind of finisher is always the same regardless of the skill.

Ok cool, so you don't really need to pay specific attention to "Blast" or "Leap" in the skill description... that's what was confusing, I thought I had to match it up with something.

Yeah I haven't tried WvW with my warrior yet. I've heard that rifle does crazy single target damage though. Warriors are probably better in the heart of the mist stuff than in WvW.

That's my thought too. I just don't really have a grasp with all the mechanics (plus relearning with a G13 I just hooked up yesterday and still keybinding) so I haven't really jumped into the smaller PVP.

I still have a lot of fun in WvW though, I just have to run in packs and beat on doors when the opportunity arises. I also think once I earn/learn more traits and such that I'll be tougher to catch. Just bought one that clears immobilizing effects which has been great.

I can't really complain just 3 days into a totally new a game ... wait, yes I can ... fuck that pull move!

"That's when you go find one of the other zones for that level range, or go crafting. If you stick to a straight path in this game, it kinda punishes you."

Unless that straight path involves dolyaks.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
"That's when you go find one of the other zones for that level range, or go crafting. If you stick to a straight path in this game, it kinda punishes you."

Unless that straight path involves dolyaks.

I'm wondering - does the diminishing returns on dynamic events include WvWvW? If so, then we should expect for it to no longer be a good place to gain more than a level or two in. :-/

"I'm wondering - does the diminishing returns on dynamic events include WvWvW? If so, then we should expect for it to no longer be a good place to gain more than a level or two in. :-/"

Nope.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm wondering - does the diminishing returns on dynamic events include WvWvW? If so, then we should expect for it to no longer be a good place to gain more than a level or two in. :-/
Honestly, there's no reason to deincentivize this. In WvW those events actually do represent something helpful for your team no matter how many times you do it.

Though I still think you guys are playing the game wrong.

Are the digital CE items worth it? The single-use aspect of the banker/chalice/tome is very disappointing, which basically makes the elite skill the only worthy part of it.

I pre-purchased the CE but may just activate a regular edition.

Honestly, there's no reason to deincentivize this. In WvW those events actually do represent something helpful for your team no matter how many times you do it.

Though I still think you guys are playing the game wrong.

Is the right way to craft food? I started a elementalist and gained 2 levels last night crafting lol only level 12 but still

Scorpion Wire. Maybe I should reequip that when I head into WvW...

Is there any like move for Warriors? What classes have this as I might play a class that has this move just for WvW. I'm sure Scorpion is already taken as a name too ... but a Guardian named Scorpion with all Yellow and Black dye would be pretty sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom